closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In praise of the moon watch

In praise of the moon watch

I am sat here the newly proud owner of a Speedmaster Professional.

I'll post pics tomorrow but it is one of the most beautiful things I have seen.

I have a Sub and ExplorerII but this thing is so much more elegant.

In the semi darkness of my drawing room (kids are watching 8mm) the hesalite has a moonlike curve and glow.

Just been looking at pics of speedys on the wrists of the NASA guys and its so cool.

sorry to sound so gushing, I know I'm amongst friends.....

cheers
    mike

It such a great watch, I'd happily have that as my only timepiece. Congrats on the purchase!

Craftsman
    Love mine, it's the one watch that I will never flip.

Craftsman
    I love mine too. It was the first real watch I was ever aware of and was therefore always a grail of mine. So satisfying to own.

The only thing I'd swap it for is a birth year Speedy Pro.

Chris

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by h780 View Post
    I love mine too. It was the first real watch I was ever aware of and was therefore always a grail of mine. So satisfying to own.

The only thing I'd swap it for is a birth year Speedy Pro.

Chris
    Me too but I'm too scared to go into the vintage thing. Also I bought it with money my mum left me and the moon landing was here birthday when I was nearly 1 year old, so it always reminds me of her.

I keep going back and forth on acquiring one ... I've sworn off more expensive watches, but this is one that I think I could live with for a long time..

King of watches and eminently affordable too.

You can have a quick butchers through my ancient website below if you like.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

You can have a quick butchers through my ancient website below if you like.
    Don't say ancient, I remember when it was brand new....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Nothing but more gushing from me I'm afraid. It's such an iconic watch and virtually unchanged since the first time they walked on the moon (to most people, I am aware of the actual differences).

I've had lots of them and most models ranging from the earliest 2915 to the latest and I've never had any real trouble. In fact, I would much rather have a 1960's model than any other and wouldn't worry about reliability. There are some excellent watchmakers out there who work very sympathetically with these watches. I use Watchworks in Bristol on my old Omegas.

A great choice as a birth year watch.

The Speedie is a classic, and a living legend as it's virtually unchanged (superficially, if we're being pendantic) in the 50+ years it's been in production. It's hard to think of another watch that is as close to it's forebears but still looks the part, and that's why I prefer the vanilla version to any of the newer coax models.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Don't say ancient, I remember when it was brand new....
    I know Jase, a good few years ago now.

Tempus fugit.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    More and more I'm thinking a moon watch will be my next watch. It really is a classic design.
    Been thinking about the 3570.50, which at 42mm is more in my size "comfort zone" while still with manual wind and hesalite crystal.
    A watch every WIS needs to try I think.

It's a watch you only flip once. Because the next time you buy one, you keep it.

The definitive chrono.

Banned
    8mm? how old are the kids?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    That's what I was thinking!

Few watches have remained as unchanged in terms of overall design. Glycine Airman, Oris Big Crown, Rolex Oyster... but I would hesitate to include the Submariner or Fifty Fathoms as they are far more luxurious and larger than the originals.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

True, and true.

Love them. I keep on saying I MUST get one, don't know why I haven't. Maybe one day.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

I meant Super 8! Doh.

i always get the name wrong.

I've got two Speedy's - to my mind the finest pairing possible, a Pro (1970, but I may be buying a 1969 soon, it just feels right), and the MkII - a 1971 in this instance.

I really have a thing for old Omega's, and apart from the 1969 or birth date option, I wouldn't think of flipping them, and even if I did, it would only be to make room for a more relevant year.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    I've got two Speedy's - to my mind the finest pairing possible, a Pro (1970, but I may be buying a 1969 soon, it just feels right), and the MkII - a 1971 in this instance.

I really have a thing for old Omega's, and apart from the 1969 or birth date option, I wouldn't think of flipping them, and even if I did, it would only be to make room for a more relevant year.
    2 cracking watches Richard,I love the MKII Iv'e added to my collection.

Need a new glass now,you got one to sell Richard?.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 11th May 2013 at 21:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post

The 1970 is a good one to own in my opinion. First of the embossed case backs and with a stepped tritium dial. I have a minty 145.022-69 which is possibly my favourite watch of all time.

Journeyman
    First of all, congratulations! I'm wearing Speedy's for the last 10 years and they're great!
    and since it's summer I would acquire a NATO, it wears/looks perfect on a Speedy:

Master
    another Speedy lover here, just got mine yesterday, almost the perfect chrono

Got my 2007 version last week,its crazy as its my 2nd one and only purchased on a whim,the thing is I really didn't bond with the last one but this one has been in constant use since it arrived absolutely besotted which is strange.

Old cal .321

My version 145.012 from 1968. Never polished. All original.
    JK

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soegaard View Post

JK
    That's a real bute. I'am lucky enough to own one from 67 with no professional on the dial

Master

JK
    If my memory serves me the 145.012-68 is a seldom seen model. 145.012-67 (cal 321) and 145.022-68 (cal 861) are more typical so this must be one of the very last batch of 321 Speedmasters. And very nice condition too!

I know Jase, a good few years ago now.

Tempus fugit.

I love em speedies but the idea of time having flown by gets me down big time.

It's from October 14th 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    If my memory serves me the 145.012-68 is a seldom seen model. 145.012-67 (cal 321) and 145.022-68 (cal 861) are more typical so this must be one of the very last batch of 321 Speedmasters. And very nice condition too!
    Thanks!
    The watch was made on the 14th of October 1968.
    JK

Master
    Thanks!
    The watch was made on the 14th of October 1968.
    JK

Interesting, in my Speedmaster anorak kind of way. Do you know if the case back is marked 145.012-67 or 145.012-68? It's plausible that a watch marked 145.012-67 to have been sold in 1968, but more interesting if it is actually marked 145.012-68.

Thanks

Simon

Craftsman
    agreed they are amazing watches!

Im torn between one of the new 9300 (as for me im an auto type of guy) but then some form of manual because of that gorgeous movement!!

My Speedmaster was and is my first proper watch. I thought about trading it in when I purchased an Explorer 1, but I have to thank Watchfinder for making me such a risible offer I decided to keep it.

It's marked 67

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Interesting, in my Speedmaster anorak kind of way. Do you know if the case back is marked 145.012-67 or 145.012-68? It's plausible that a watch marked 145.012-67 to have been sold in 1968, but more interesting if it is actually marked 145.012-68.

Thanks
    Simon
    Here is a picture of the case back. It's marked 67.
    JK

Master
    Here is a picture of the case back. It's marked 67.
    JK
    Ah, that's more in line with what's usually seen. Still one of the last 321's and a fantastic watch ;)

Great selection of Speedies on here. It took me a few years to track down my Speedmaster grail but now I have it I will never part with it.

A timeless classic.

I absolutely love the Speedy. Mine's from 1971 and I doubt I'll ever sell it (sorry, Paul).

Last edited by learningtofly; 12th May 2013 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    True, and true.
    True! speedmaster is a watch i will never move on.
    And

Have wanted one for so long... A couple of months and it shall be mine :)

Love 'em.

Are the new modern ones still good to buy or are they not really the same as the earlier models with those early movements? I'd like to get one one day, but it seems a bit of a minefield...

Journeyman
    I never tire of hearing - or talking - about the Speedy. It definitely is one of the most beautiful watches ever designed.

The design, of course, is many things to many people. It is probably the most symmetrical dial in a chronograph ever produced. The design always impresses me: everything is exactly centered. All of the subdials, and the text and Omega logo under 12 o'clock are in perfect symmetry. Notice that none of the subdials intrude on another. Also, none of the subdials intrude on any of the markers. All of the markers are their full length.
    It is one of the most legible dials. The lume, which is normally not a big deal to me, is great. If a watch is going to have lume, it should be done properly, or not at all IMO.
    Apart from subtle changes over the years, since 1957, you can get a new one that looks the same as the original. On mine, I love the hesalite crystal and the manually wound movement.
    The other big thing, is that it is the most accurate watch I have ever owned. I store it crown down overnight. Don't usually wear it at weekends, as I wear my AT8500. The timing varies from -10sec/day to about +10sec/day depending upon how when it's worn and when it's stored. Sometimes, I check it and it's bang on. The last time I had to change it was for the time change, and it had literally gone for months without adjustment.

A couple of recent pics:

Sometimes, I think I would love to have a new PO. But it would mean that my Speedy wouldn't get worn as much, and I think that might bother me. I don't think I could sell it to fund a PO either, that would probably bother me even more in the end!

Cheers,
    Carl

Carl, that's a lovely lyrical appreciation of the watch, and I agree with everything that you've said.

It's also the most adaptable watch that I can think of. As in, it looks good on the bracelet, and just about any strap that you put it on, be it a Nato, croc (dark brown, preferably), a GGB, Toshi or vintage leather or Rallye. I can't think of another watch that can do this.

Some great examples here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ster+versatile

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

This watch is definitely on my "to buy list"

The design is timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I absolutely love the Speedy. Mine's from 1971 and I doubt I'll ever sell it (sorry, Paul).

I'll let you hang on to it for a little while longer Tony... ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Carl, that's a lovely lyrical appreciation of the watch, and I agree with everything that you've said.

It's also the most adaptable watch that I can think of. As in, it looks good on the bracelet, and just about any strap that you put it on, be it a Nato, croc (dark brown, preferably), a GGB, Toshi or vintage leather or Rallye. I can't think of another watch that can do this.

Some great examples here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ster+versatile

Regards

Ian
    Thanks, Ian, for your comments and the link. You're right as well, it does look good on anything. I have seen the Speedy, in it's various forms, in bracelets and straps in various materials. I can't say that I have seen a single one that looks bad, and you have to admit some straps or bracelets look hideous on other models.

And, as martyn3000 says, the design is timeless. Even with the hesalite crystal, which is very domed, looks great.

I love it on the bracelet, although I think the original bracelet had flatter links. For some reason, I can't (at least, not yet) bring myself to put it on any other strap or bracelet. I think at some point I might try the old "seat belt style" mesh bracelet if I want a change.

Cheers
    Carl

where the girls are pretty and the watches tickinī
    Speedy is must have. Got a 67SP special dial. Whats on it? Stepdial, over90 Bezel, sharp case. Good to have the original 1039 bracelet, but nicer to wear is the 1171 or 1479.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chron View Post
    Speedy is must have. Got a 67SP special dial. Whats on it? Stepdial, over90 Bezel, sharp case. Good to have the original 1039 bracelet, but nicer to wear is the 1171 or 1479.

Love that, similar to mine, with relatively sharp case, .over 90 and original stepdial, unfortunately mine has an 1171 bracelet and not the original 1039 :-(

Speedie thought.

I think there's probably a Speedmaster for most watch fans, from the classic 1960's pre-moon to modern 3570, and all the versions in between.
    I have a cal. 321, a Snoopy limited edition and a Alaska Project. All say different things to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    I'll post pics tomorrow but it is one of the most beautiful things I have seen.
    Where are these pics, then? Pics. We need more pics of Speedmasters!