closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS 5 out of stock?

Craftsman

PRS 5 out of stock?

Just wanted to add one to my cart, but apperently there are no more left
    Are you going to have another batch of these made Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    Just wanted to add one to my cart, but apperently there are no more left
    Are you going to have another batch of these made Eddie?
    No.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    don't you just hate long rambling replies to a simple question....?

:)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post
    don't you just hate long rambling replies to a simple question....?

:)
    Sure do but I bet Eddie's just waiting for s/h prices to rocket then he can introduce them again and mark up his prices.........!!!!!

(Not that they were expensive in the first place I hasten to add)

Yeah but don't worry, it must mean the new Smiths Thruxton chronograph is just around the corner.

Craftsman
    No.

Eddie
    Was torn between the PRS5 and the PRS9, that makes the decision a lot easier...

I miss the old .
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Could you look in the 'out of stock' draw please Eddie?

Yea...i finally found a reason not wanting to sell mine ever...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by geek0 View Post
    Yea...i finally found a reason not wanting to sell mine ever...;-)
    I think you may be right.

Really pleased to have got my third PRS5 a couple of weeks ago - and it has not been off my wrist since..

Lovely!

Too bad thy are discontinued...lovely watch...

Quote Originally Posted by philjopa View Post
    Sure do but I bet Eddie's just waiting for s/h prices to rocket then he can introduce them again and mark up his prices.........!!!!!
    You sure have little grasp of our hosts ethics, this is more the behaviour of certain well know brands who make re-issues of their limited editions ......

Bear in mind that the Dreadnoughts s/h prices once skyrocketed (to more than 4x it's original price) and Eddie never decided to make another batch to cash in on that succes......

If you have some idea of the cost of manufacturing small series and the cost of the different components you'd probably realise that Timefacors watches never have been else than quite reasonably priced and compared to the market very good VFM

Glad I got my PRS 5, but now I have anxiety about the other models still in stock that I plan to buy 'some day'.

I would have had to commit to another 300 cases for the PRS-5 and what with an increase in the cost of cases since I last had them made (2009) and the increase in the cost of movements, I would have had to increase the price by £40 and there is no profit in that extra £40. I might make it as a quartz chronograph depending what it costs.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I would have had to commit to another 300 cases for the PRS-5 and what with an increase in the cost of cases since I last had them made (2009) and the increase in the cost of movements, I would have had to increase the price by £40 and there is no profit in that extra £40. I might make it as a quartz chronograph depending what it costs.

Eddie
    Quartz grab-and-go version would be nice.
    Had looked at getting a CWC quartz to compliment my PRS5 but a Precista would be better ;)

Not sure how the display back would work though :D

Master

Eddie
    How about as a quartz with an ETA 251.262?

Very interesting with a quartz version. I suppose it would then be possible to make it thinner as well then.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    That would be dearer than the Seagull chrono movement.

Eddie

I thought about selling my PRS5 (Broadarrow version) recently. I think I'll hang on to it now.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Yeah the watch thickness became an issue for me as well so much so I sold it to fund a Speedbird.
    Would be nice to see a digital version with thicker hands and a sapphire though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    You sure have little grasp of our hosts ethics, this is more the behaviour of certain well know brands who make re-issues of their limited editions ......

Bear in mind that the Dreadnoughts s/h prices once skyrocketed (to more than 4x it's original price) and Eddie never decided to make another batch to cash in on that succes......

If you have some idea of the cost of manufacturing small series and the cost of the different components you'd probably realise that Timefacors watches never have been else than quite reasonably priced and compared to the market very good VFM

+1

My only caveats would be to change the last sentence from "...quite...." to "...extremely reasonably priced...." and "...very good...." to "....absolutely outstanding VFM.", and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you yourself might agree with that, Jeroen, and a number of other forum members having a broad view of the overall watch market as well.

I think the very first post I ever made on this Forum, which is the only web forum of any kind I have ever been a member of, was in regards to what I think is the absolute unique place Timefactors and its proprietor hold on the watch market, and the incredible VFM I feel Eddie is offering us very much part of that.

To be honest, my own concern is that Eddie is not allowing himself ENOUGH profit so that he can carry on with very special and unique high specification watch models he markets like the now late second version of the PRS-5 having the extremely desirable to me column wheel mechanical chrono movement duplicating the fine vintage Swiss Venus 75 design and original mil-spec negative pressure and shatter resistant "armoured" steel tension ring secured acrylic crystal.

Exactly where else do you go to get something like that? And at what price would it be there?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJax View Post
    Yeah the watch thickness became an issue for me as well so much so I sold it to fund a Speedbird.
    Would be nice to see a digital version with thicker hands and a sapphire though.

Hi AJ. I don't mean to be disrespectful of your views in any way because I am not, but if you want sapphire, digital, and thinner, what does that have to do with the great original Hamilton, Precista, etc., MOD specification twin pusher military chonographs once issued to the RN and RAF that both versions of the PRS-5 have heretofore so well recreated? Since you can get sapphire, digital, and thinner from a hundred other sources, why change the unique vintage classic design PRS-5 into just another of that ubiquitous chronogragh genre?

I wonder if a better way to meet a potential demand for a Timefactors chrono with sapphire and thinner, which yourself and I imagine a number of others prefer, might be a new PRS designation for something recreating the apparently popular and well reputed Seiko Generation 1 military chronographs the MOD issued after its subsequent general move to quartz for its watches in the 1980s? I think that would possibly retain a unique place for it on the market due its homaging a British military classic despite the ubiquitous availability of its more modern technological design. The original issue Seiko Gen 1 analog chrono design has no dual digital display as it is, though, but perhaps replacing the 1/10th second subdial at 3 o'clock with a dual multi-function digital display window might be a workable idea for possibly "upgrading" the original design.

And, if not already obvious, I personally hope that would give the vintage design PRS-5 the chance to someday return made to the exact same specifications it just exited with if Eddie ever thinks it a good business move for TF to bring it back. Rollon

Master

Eddie

Eddie,
    I'm just one here, and I have no idea how many others might feel the same way, but I think the
    PRS-5, spec'ed exactly as it just was, would still be easily worth it at an increase of 120 GBP over what it just sold out for. Rollon

I bought the second last PRS-5 that Eddie had in stock on 17 April and I'm very glad that I did. I had been looking at the PRS-5 on and off for a while and something told me to hang the expense and grab one. I'm not particularly bothered if the watch appreciates in value or not because I have no intention of selling such a beautiful piece of machinery.

Bugger me! I'm a Dalek! I've always wanted to be one! Woohoo!

EX-TER-MIN-ATE! O-BLIT-ER-ATE! WE. WILL. CON-QUER!

Unhappy

Nearly pulled the trigger on a PRS 5 several times but never actually did it.

There's a lesson to be learned here as I felt my heart sink a wee bit when I saw the thread title.

Craftsman
    I experienced the PRS-5 on a passaround last year.
    A lovely watch, great on a velcro.
    And no, I've never bought one.

Master

MISS MINE

I had one too, 2nd generation Seagull movement............with regret, it found it's way onto SC

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    As long as the price increase is acceptable, I'd agree with Jeff for the 251.262 for quartz, although there are cheaper movements available.

If the price was increased to accommodate an automatic movement, my choice for an automatic chronograph would be the (Seiko Instruments) SII NE78A, which appears to be the generic version of the excellent tricompax Seiko 8R28. Surprisingly, the only brand who appear to have used this movement so far is Invicta, who have put in in a couple of unfancied chronographs e.g. the Ocean Speedway, which was available at amazingly low prices on NBC (probably less than the cost of the movement). I think it would be good to see this movement in a decent watch.

Don't do it Bob! Keep 'em in Co. Durham.

Rod

I love my '5. Great value and my most-worn watch of the last 6 months by far. On a leather NATO that is starting to get a real patina that suits the watch. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Don't do it Bob! Keep 'em in Co. Durham.

Rod

Fear not Rod, it's staying here.........

F.T.F.A.

Eddie
    Eddie,

Which movement were you thinking of placing in a quartz PRS-5? I suppose the obvious choice would be the Ronda 5030 that is fitted to the civilian version of the CWC chronograph (although the earlier versions had an ETA 251.272).

Dave