closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do manufacturers create a sunburst effect?

Master

How do manufacturers create a sunburst effect?

Whenever I see a Rolex Explorer ii with its sunburst brushed bezel, or a sunburst effect dial, I always wonder how its created?

I hope it's not a daft question but is it just modern machinery that's made it possible? What's the process?

Blog Entries

Master
    So that’s the lapping machine - but does anyone know how they make sunburst dials (and, for bonus points, similar effects)?

I think McGyvers thread in Mods & Wreckers is the best ever illustration of applying this effect;

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...h-case-lapping

One of my all time favorite posts on here.
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 6th October 2015 at 18:18.

Don't know how they do it but I love the look! Been wearing this one for the past week or so with a lovely brushed (sunburst?) bezel

http://watch-tanaka3.sub.jp/orient/WZ0091FE/

Blog Entries
    2013 yr post

Grand Master
    It can be done using a coarse Garryflex block, but there are a couple of not quite so obvious tricks to getting the right effect.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    2013 yr post

Thanks for posting that, Martyn. Unfortunately that video could have done with being slowed down by a factor of 4 and I really would have liked to see some macro shots of the dial at various points as it was being made. Of course some of us have seen how Patek make their dials (though it wasn't a sunburst effect).

Apprentice
    I have been a long time lurker and finally signed up just to answer this question!

A few years ago I visited a dial manufacturer in Switzerland and watched many stages of the dial making process. One of the first we were introduced to was the sunburst effect. Please understand that I am not a watchmaker and do not describe this from a technical standpoint, also giddiness levels were very high due to being permitted a tour of a dial factory

Essentially they had nylon brushes similar to what you would see on a shoe shine machine. The dial would be held in place in a vice and they would lower the brushes onto the dial for varying amounts of time and using varying hardness/softness of brushes. If my memory serves me correctly they used 7 different brushes on the particular dial I was observing being made. They also used a fluid during the process to lubricate the brush/dial.

Other things I can tell you about dial factories;

The amount of work being carried out by hand was astonishing. Lume injected onto the dial by hand under a Leica microscope, hour markers applied by hand with tweezers (even on mid/lower tier brand dials) Surely it must be more cost efficient/accurate to automate this process, bravo for the brands in question still using such craftsmanship to finish their dials.

Dials are initially stamped out of brass using a 50 ton press. The blank plates get a number of good whacks to great the initial shape for and subdials etc.

They source mother or pearl from different areas of the world as each location can have unique characteristics in pattern and colouring. To enhance the colours they will paint the dial before applying the sliver of pearl over the top.

Dial feet are soldered on via a machine and then 1 in 10 are tested by hand to ensure the feet to not snap too easy.

One thing I cannot tell you for obvious reasons..... is what brands were being made in the factory. All I can say is the factory is owned by a manufacturer and makes dials for many other brands including competitors.

For one part of our tour we did get to see some pave dials being created for a VERY high end brand. Speaking to the guys in that room they told me it took around a full week to set each dial, the dial we viewed being worked on had over 600 diamonds. Watching the craftsman make a slight indentation in the brass to then install a diamond and the correct height, orientation, angle etc was truly incredible. His movements were almost imperceptible! I asked him what happens if you get to the end and the last stone to be set and one does not fit... he shrugged and laughed. 'well, you have to start again!'

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    The posts below are more than self explanatory.

One thing I might add though is that I have never been refused access to any Watch part Manufacturing Company when asking to know how a process is accomplished.

The Swiss take great pride in their industry and will, by appointment give you an accompanied tour.

Brendan.

Master
    One thing I cannot tell you for obvious reasons..... is what brands were being made in the factory. spuggy
    Why not, spuggy? Will the Swiss watch police gnomes come and get you?

Tell! Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
    I have been a long time lurker and finally signed up just to answer this question!
    Killer first post

Welcome and thanks for sharing - very interesting stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggy View Post

A few years ago I visited a dial manufacturer in Switzerland and watched many stages of the dial making process. One of the first we were introduced to was the sunburst effect. Please understand that I am not a watchmaker and do not describe this from a technical standpoint, also giddiness levels were very high due to being permitted a tour of a dial factory

Essentially they had nylon brushes similar to what you would see on a shoe shine machine. The dial would be held in place in a vice and they would lower the brushes onto the dial for varying amounts of time and using varying hardness/softness of brushes. If my memory serves me correctly they used 7 different brushes on the particular dial I was observing being made. They also used a fluid during the process to lubricate the brush/dial.

Excellent spuggy! Thanks. Plenty of stuff out there about various case finishes and various dial finishes but I have yet to see anything specifically about sunburst dials so that's much appreciated.

If I am remembering correctly I have seen this on youtube in one of the Seiko or Grand Seiko factory tours...big rotary brushes with brass hairs. A quick scan hasn't found it but I'll look again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Tell! Do tell.
    Lots of the companies that own the major watch brands have bought up smaller parts makers in recent years. Those smaller parts makers will have had contracts with many watch brands, so it's no surprise that parts makers owned by say LVMH supply parts to Richemont's brands.

Watch Firms Buy Swiss Parts Makers

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Tell! Do tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    Killer first post

Welcome and thanks for sharing - very interesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Excellent spuggy! Thanks. Plenty of stuff out there about various case finishes and various dial finishes but I have yet to see anything specifically about sunburst dials so that's much appreciated.
    Thanks. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while and find TZUK one of the most informative forums about our shared passion. Good debate without descending into bun fights :)

Tinker - yes discretion is required at times.....!

Sean - you are totally correct. As brands move towards vertical integration some cross-over is bound to occur due to their existing supply contracts. It surely makes me chuckle when people obsess about 'inhouse' or complain about what is perceived to be a lesser brand when they technically may supply some of their favorite 'bigger' names!