closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Safety deposit boxes...

Safety deposit boxes...

Can anyone explain how and where I can get one? Do local branches of banks have them?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Craftsman
    Hi Andy, it's not that simple I'm afraid, most bank branches don't offer the facilty. I know Yorkshire bank allow you to keep your own locked box in there strong room for an annual fee, subject to space in each branch.

Not sure what part of the country you are in, I'm sure plenty of places in London offer them.

Not thought of a good home safe?

Looking at these myself as need to move into a rented house for a few months and it doesn't have a safe.

From what I've seen, banks no longer offer this as a service. There are one or two companies who offer safety deposit boxes around, particularly around London.

The one I've found in Manchester is called St James. Offers the service on an annual contract, no limits on the number of visits and has opening times very similar to shop opening times. Not been down to sort it yet, but it sounds fine, although not got a huge choice to be honest.

Malc

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bank of China have them in London.

As an alternative, just get some decent insurance?

If you live or work in a city the dep box is really the way to go. Insurance is good, but proving values for 'collections' can be a pain. My collection lives in at the bank these days, makes me sleep better at night and not worry when I am not at home :)

I would say to ring or email the banks and see what you can find, its always worth looking and asking.

Instead of a safety deposit box why not one of these in your house bolted to the floor
    http://www.costco.ca/Winchester%c2%a....10361615.html

But put your watches in it instead of what it is made for they come in differnt sizes depending on the size of your watch collection.

Someone who knew about safes once told me that a safe is not as good an idea as you might think. it's an obvious statement that all the good stuff is in one place, plus with today's home invasions there is more a thought that they will make you open it. I really fancied an antique safe as a piece of furniture in my living room until I was told that. Where I would have put it, it could have been seen by someone who walked round the back of my house who could have broken in and opened it (old safes are not very secure to the expert) or come back later as they could not have lifted it - some of these are seriously heavy and your floor would need to be strong too- Anyway, the thief coming back when you are home doesn't bear thinking about :/

I'm not saying don't get one, I'm just retelling what was told to me. I did suggest not putting everything in the safe if that was the case and hiding the rest, and the other thing he said was that whatever generic clever place you think of hiding something the thief has also thought of, unless it is very specific to your home. Ie don't put things in the oven, sock drawer, food cupboard etc etc. but if you have a false wall or floor then you should be using that instead anyway.

Interestingly most banks will not insure your goods inside their dep box. bear that in mind if it worries you. I work on the principal that since the room has been there (over 100 years) it has never been broken into, and that reassures me, but insurance might still be a good idea for some?

Selfridges or Harrods in that there London town.

Just tried to find the safe deposit facility on the Harrods website, but it's useless.

I think prices start at around £235 p.a. for shoebox capacity box, and go up (to a full room!).

MW

Master
    I know a few people who use these guys ... http://www.metrosafe.co.uk/metrosafe/

Not that much help if you're not in London regularly, but proper safe deposit facility.

Re Banks most are simply storing your box in their safe. This safe has people traipsing in and out of it all day long, plus I've heard stories of customers deposit boxes being shifted around, dropped etc. For most banks this is simple a sideline, not a proper service, so do check this out before you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I know a few people who use these guys ... http://www.metrosafe.co.uk/metrosafe/

Not that much help if you're not in London regularly, but proper safe deposit facility.

Re Banks most are simply storing your box in their safe. This safe has people traipsing in and out of it all day long, plus I've heard stories of customers deposit boxes being shifted around, dropped etc. For most banks this is simple a sideline, not a proper service, so do check this out before you do it.
    Eeek, Defo dont' use any shared service... you need a real deposit box that is your own. One that you have one key for and the bank has another and it only opens when both keys are present - proper old skool like in the movies. The bank will keep your spare key for you but it should be secure and only you should be able to start the process to release it.

I have a metro bank safety deposit box. I think it is around £100 per year and can hold a decent amount of watches. Open 7 days a week too.

I have a safe but don't necessarily keep my watches in it!
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Eeek, Defo dont' use any shared service... you need a real deposit box that is your own. One that you have one key for and the bank has another and it only opens when both keys are present - proper old skool like in the movies. The bank will keep your spare key for you but it should be secure and only you should be able to start the process to release it.
    This. Makes you feel like Jason Bourne every time you visit your collection. :D

Too right, and the bank I go to has a real 1960's vibe to the interior when you go down the stairs, its very Bond of the era. Makes me smile every time I go. That's worth the yearly fee on its own LOL

Journeyman
    I did some work a few months back analysing branches, sounds dodgy - but it wasn't!, and some of the bigger RBS branches had Safety Deposit Boxes. Might be worth speaking to a branch manager and enquiring..

Craftsman
    Must make for a tense trip when you deposit them all for the first time!

How true Ryan!

Journeyman
    HSBC Premier allow you to keep a locked box in their safe for free.

In Birmingham only private company is Safety Deposit company next to Botanical gardens. however keep reducing their access hours.