closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moonwatch Only

Journeyman

Moonwatch Only

Dear all,

Although I am not a frequent contributor of this forum, I am pleased to announce a new book to be published in a few months, as a result of several years of research from my colleague and myself. We have launched an associated website which currently only presents a few points of the book:

http://www.moonwatchonly.com

We will be present at BaselWorld from 25th to 27th of April at the official bookstore Watchprint.
    Do not hesitate to write us if you have any questions: info@moonwatchonly.com

Best regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by speedy4life; 16th April 2013 at 21:13.

Interesting, looks like a very useful resource. Not much given away on the website though, any chance we could see some sample pages from the book itself?

Journeyman
    Sounds great,

but how many pages and how many pictures?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cristos71 View Post
    Sounds great,

but how many pages and how many pictures?

Chris
    According to their order page...

French, English or Italian
    Approx. 400 pages, more than 1000 illustrations
    Publication forecasted in fall 2013
    Public price: 225 €

Sounds OK to me, kinda expensive, but inline with most other watch books out there, what matters more IMHO is exactly what kind of info and pics the book contains, as well as how many, not to mention how accurate that info is. Have been disappointed with many of my book purchases, so I will be waiting to see more info and read a few reviews before committing.
    Last edited by Meinessex; 16th April 2013 at 21:34.

Journeyman
    The book will have around 400 pages, may be a bit more.

Launch price is € 195 (till end of August).

There will be a sample of the book at Baselworld, but of course with provisional page setup. Probably we will upload a few pages on our website later, when page setup is finished.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    According to their order page...

Sounds OK to me, kinda expensive, but inline with most other watch books out there, what matters more IMHO is exactly what kind of info and pics the book contains, as well as how many.
    Aha, I'd checked the site except for the order page, that's why I asked.

I agree the quality is more important than the quantity, but it certainly does come at a cost!

At that price they are almost on the same pricing level as A Journey Through Time, in which case it really does need to be filled with lots of unseen adverts and "action"photos for me to even consider it.

Chris

It'd make a change to have a Speedy book I can actually read. My copy of Imai's A Journey Through Time is in japanese! Great pics though.

It may also be of interest to us lot to try and pick up a copy of Omega LIFETIME issue 4, 2009. Loads of Apollo speedy stuff to read, and the pics are everybit as good as the above tome. I picked one up at the bootsale Sunday for 50p. Result!

Journeyman
    To make short:

As described in the Methodology section of our website, the book will contain VERY detailed information about all variations of constituent parts. It is mainly a collector's guide, to help avoiding the purchase of vintage Speedmasters.
    It goes so much in details that it can be regarded as a research book, also meaning that absolute truth is not a usual word, and that it leaves sometimes space for uncertainties.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy4life View Post
    To make short:

As described in the Methodology section of our website, the book will contain VERY detailed information about all variations of constituent parts. It is mainly a collector's guide, to help avoiding the purchase of vintage Speedmasters.
    It goes so much in details that it can be regarded as a research book, also meaning that absolute truth is not a usual word, and that it leaves sometimes space for uncertainties.
    Well when you put it that like that it sounds much more mysterious and enticing!

My interest is now officially piqued!

Chris

Greg, thank you for the link to your new site and the book previews. I wish you every success with your venture, as there's definitely a gap in the Speedy book market, given the scarcity and expense of a couple of the reference works already mentioned. Please keep us updated with the publication schedule.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Greg, thank you for the link to your new site and the book previews. I wish you every success with your venture, as there's definitely a gap in the Speedy book market, given the scarcity and expense of a couple of the reference works already mentioned. Please keep us updated with the publication schedule.
    Sure, as soon as we will publish new information, this post will be updated.
    Thanks!

Looking foward to the new book.

Journeyman
    A bit more information...

Our philosphy
    the book is aimed at guiding the collectors so that they will be able to distinguish original from fake or replaced parts on vintage Speedmasters.

Our methodology
    As an example, let's imagine you have a 145.012. All 145.012 are supposed to have a dial with "spaced T" around Swiss Made. Most people call it a "dial from ST 145.012". However, most of 105.012-66 have the same dial, as well as all 145.022-68 (with different feet). For this reason, we built a classification of these parts independently of the models. We have identified, detailed and classified 10 constituent elements, leading to a total of about 250 individual sheets. This classification is used in the individual sheets of each model.

A systematic and rigorous approach
    For years, we have collected data (from many sources) and recorded them by serial number into a database. Each entry comprises, when possible, the type of constituent parts. This allows a very good overview and easily detecting "suspect" examples. In our opinion, this is the only way to have an almost complete view of the production and to "read" how history probably happened, when a new part or a new reference was introduced, etc.

Completeness
    We will describe ALL (to our knowledge) Speedmaster "Moonwatch" (extended to parents up to 1957, sons and cousins such as moonphases, sapphire casebacks and special + limited editions). Most of them will be illustrated with our own pictures, which is really a challenge. Unfortunately, there will be exceptions, where we cannot have the watch for photo shooting.

Level of information
    The level of information will be far beyond what you can find in books about the Speedmaster. Unfortunately, it is impossible to validate everything, because Omega archives simply do not contain all pieces of information crazy collectors need. For this reason, it is an open, unfinished book, letting space to uncertainties.

- Furthermore, there will be a unique identification tree, aiming at identifying classic Moonwatch models, just with a visual examination
    - there will be summary tables
    - and more...

This sounds superb... now I'm really looking forward to seeing a copy.

How many are you looking to have printed?

Journeyman
    That's a matter of the publisher, cannot help you much on this for the moment.

Master
    also meaning that absolute truth is not a usual word, and that it leaves sometimes space for uncertainties.
    That's good, as there are so many uncertainties when it comes to vintage Omegas. Expensive though.

Update?

I found this link to a protype of what would appear to be a really interesting Speedy book but I'd be grateful if the OP could give us any further news?
    David

Journeyman
    Yes this is a prototype in french. I am sorry that I did not give more news on that forum, I used to post on another international forum.
    You might know that for various reasons, the publication has been scheduled to May. The final number of pages will be 500 instead of 400 (mainly more models pictured).

Yes this is a prototype in french. I am sorry that I did not give more news on that forum, I used to post on another international forum.
    You might know that for various reasons, the publication has been scheduled to May. The final number of pages will be 500 instead of 400 (mainly more models pictured).
    Thanks very much for the update - I hope it continues to go well and I'm sure the book will find many readers here and elsewhere.
    David

Journeyman
    Hello,

Just about one month before 1st copies will be released...

Thanks for your patience!!
    Attached Images Attached Images