closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a really good compactcamera?

Is there such a thing as a really good compactcamera?

Every now and then I'm looking at (digital) cameras. Not because they look great but because they confuse me.
    A hundred years ago I was the proud owner of a Canon Eos 650, the first generation autofocus. Armed with a myriad of lenses I have made thousands of pics. Then I bought a analoge Eos, also a great one with eye controlled autofocus.

Then a couple of years ago i decided to go digital and but a Olympus E300. Nice camera but nothing like the sturdiness of that ancient EOS.
    I've done some reading about what's Hot nowadays so I'm asking you if there is such a thing as a good megazoom? Is there such a thing as a good digital compact that doesn't cost LEICA money?

Is there a budget friendly camera with video and a really good zoom??? Is there????

Panasonic TZ(whatever the latest model is) - brilliant little cameras!

Cheers,

For me it comes down to sensor size. You can get good results with a bridge camera, but I have never matched the quality of photo compared to at least a micro-4/3 sensor...especially in lower light levels. I went for a compomise in size and sensor size and went for an NEX-5N...haven't looked back.

I think the answer to that would be yes and defo not Leica money.

The Panasonics are really good - they have Leica lens, but I just got a Pentex Optio RX18.

3" display, 18X optical zoom, 16MP, 720P HD, face and smile recognition (not that I shall be using it) all for £50 off the flea bay - cheap as chips I would say.

For less that £100 you can get 18Mp or for under £250 20MP (i.e Sony Rx100 Cyber shot - 2nd hand).

My other camera is a Canon D20, but to be honest I was using the camera on my Iphone for than I was using that simply because its is to big and bulky these days.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post

Cheers,
    This would be (and was) my choice. Good optical zoom on them.

Another Sony NEX-5N user. I know of 4 friends who have gone on to buy one after seeing mine. Really simple to use, takes good pictures and not as big as an SLR.

Can't be done IMHO.

I had a good Canon cross over that I sold recently with a good optical zoom range. It was a great camera for any point and shoot pictures but despite the presence of creative modes I soon started to feel a bit limited.

For walking about we use a Canon Powershot A570 and for taking more composed photographs we use a Canon 550D with a couple of kit lenses. The kit was less than £500 when we bought it which compares well to a high end compact. We've added the 60mm macro lens and a small flash since.
    Of course it's slippery slope and we're looking at the 18-55 EF-s f2.8.

Can't say the smaller sensor size (APS-C) has shown any real drawbacks as yet and the bodies and lenses are a bit smaller. You also get good results with the EF lenses for full sized Canon Cameras.

Like you I was a 35mm man and lost interest when I switched to early Minolta autofocus. For years after that it was just point and shoot snap cameras. Having recently got back into it I'm finding the interest is rising again, but trying to avoid post processing. With an incident light meter the actual mechanics of taking a well exposed picture have not changed that much. The only real difference is that (a) you can change the ISO speed from shot to shot rather than rol to roll and (b) you can dial out colour casts by adjusting white balance as you shoot.
    Last edited by aldfort; 15th April 2013 at 15:43.

Craftsman
    I have a panasonic TZ10 and it is a great little camera, there are newer versions now. At the time I also looked at a canon s90 (again i think there is a newer version now) but also a brillian camera

Craftsman
    Fujifilm XF1 Spot on does just what it said it would..

where the girls are pretty and the watches tickin“
    Panasonic Lumix. They got a Leica Lense. Very good. DMC-TZ31. Have a closer look.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Sony NEX-5N. A friend lent me his Sony NEX-5N to take pictures on his birthday (I'm usually the photographer guy who's always lugging his SLR) and it actually exceeded my expectation. Low light + compact would always give me a nasty impression but this camera actually delivered quite well :-)

Master
    My vote would go with the Canon PowerShot N, compact and light weight! with heaps of features. Price maybe a bit on the high side!

I still love my Panasonic LX3, despite being 4.5 years old.

The only things that have come close to tempting me to update were the Fuji X10 (until I read the review) and the Sony RX100...(until I saw the price) and Olympus XZ2 (reason for not buying yet to be decided)

Yes, the Canon S95 or whatever the latest version is. Has great reviews online from photography sites and testimonials from people with far more photographic talent than I. So compelling I went out and bought one.

Since we got ours I find I don't carry my DSLR around half as much.

Banned

Cheers,
    +1

I use the TZ30, can't fault it really.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    It sounds like you're after something like a Fuji X20. You won't get quite up to Leica image quality, to get close to that on a budget you'd need to look at something like Fuji X100 or X100s but those are both 35mm fixed focals, so no zoom. The X20 has a good zoom, is more compact and produces very good image quality to boot. There are many out there that will produce good IQ but I'm guessing you'll also want a viewfinder like I do? If so, the X20 will be tough to beat.

They're smaller than they look in that pic, too.

Specs here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x20
    You could also consider the older X10, I've just ordered one fairly well reduced from
    park cameras. Definitely seems good value for an advanced point and shoot camera.

Master
    Sony RX100 gets my vote (I have one and like it very much), although new Fuji X20 would be a great alternative if you can live with something larger.

Why not think about Micro 4/3? I realise that the sensors are a little smaller than the APS-C on the Sony NEX, but IQ is still excellent, the range of lenses unrivalled (and they're SMALL) and - at least with the Olympus OM-D because that's the one I have - you get a camera with a viewfinder that handles in the "traditional" manner.

Master
    Sony CyberShot DSC-HX9V if you can get hold of one, or the Sony NEX 5N if you don't mind something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Why not think about Micro 4/3? I realise that the sensors are a little smaller than the APS-C on the Sony NEX, but IQ is still excellent, the range of lenses unrivalled (and they're SMALL) and - at least with the Olympus OM-D because that's the one I have - you get a camera with a viewfinder that handles in the "traditional" manner.

Nice tribute to the Olden days of the OM. Does this one have an optical viewfinder?

Journeyman
    Another vote for the Lumix TZ. I have the 30 and am gobsmacked at the quality from a camera that fits in your pocket.

If you want a tiny one - Canon S95 is about as good as it gets. The new/current one is the S110 but I'm not sure you'll want/need built in wifi (really!!)

If you're not bothered about it being a bit bigger, then the G10 is a stunning bit of kit. It's as good as a middle of the road SLR but much smaller. The new/current one is the G15 and offers some excellent new features.

I have both and have no desire for anything else. (yet) :)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...hot/index.aspx

Craftsman
    No

With one expensive exception
    Beginning with
    L

You can't avoid post processing unless you're happy with just using a digital negative and if that's the case I'm not sure you're really seeing what your cameras are capable of.
    We didn't have it in the old days and I see no reason to use a computer to make up for my shortcomings as a photographer now. I will grant you that being able to take multiple shots at different exposures and layer them into a high contrast image is something that's worth doing on occasion. As to seeing what the camera is capable of, it's capable of the information it captures as an image. Once you start to fiddle with that image then you're seeing what Photoshop (insert image editor of choice) is capable of. Anyway I'm sure the hobby has enough space for those who enjoy taking pictures and those who enjoy digital image manipulation. For me it will always be about the control of light. I've made a decision and I'm enjoying my photography again without the aid of photoshop, the camera has enough toys already to assist you to get better balanced shots and flash is a doddle now!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Fond Memories of my old Olympus Cameras there Tony. I loved my OM1, probably my most used body, although you had to have the OM2 for the extra functionality. That said some of my best stuff was done with an OM10 which was my first "proper" camera.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Fond Memories of my old Olympus Cameras there Tony. I loved my OM1, probably my most used body, although you had to have the OM2 for the extra functionality. That said some of my best stuff was done with an OM10 which was my first "proper" camera.
    Yes, I loved them too; in fact, my favourite camera ever was the OM-4Ti. Had an OM-2 as well, of course!

Master
    +1 for micro 4/3, I've had good results with the Lumix GH2, which shoots great video if you know how. But a zoom will always limit the low light performance, and leave you with too much depth of field for a lot of the more appealing kinds of shots. A large chip in a small body with a fast zoom at a reasonable price is kind of the holy grail of cameras, but physics says that this will always be extremely hard to achieve... something usually has to give. M4/3 is a good compromise, but you need fast glass to compensate for the chip size compared to full frame.

I have also been hearing good things about the Sony Rx100, not that I've tried one, but that's a decent chip size and a fast lens, f1.8 at the fastest end, and a useful 28-100mm equivalent.

When it comes to light weight video, I will mostly be shooting with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and a 1.7 pancake or a Metabones Speed Booster + Nikon f1.2 50mm / f1.4 85mm. Good things do come in small packages, but you can keep your zoom ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ca...MTAwMTQ2NA_A_A

Just ordered one of these, still a compact and packed with features. Worked out £250 with an SD card, Case, spare battery and card reader. I am no camera expert and was looking at the sony RX 100, however it nearly twice the price and not sure its twice the camera.
    Last edited by Middo; 17th April 2013 at 12:43.

I was a firm believer of the Canon S series. Pocketable, great results etc etc. UNTIL i met the Sony RX100 - recommended by someone in this forum actually. WHat a camera. Granted it is expensive, and slightly bigger than the S95/ S100 etc but the results are amazing. And that bounce flash....!

Does the Sony have a decent Macro function?

Like the Sony rx100 and the retro look of the Fuji x20/10. I've always been a Canon fan so might as well look at the G's and the new S.
    I haven't really figured out yet what the big different is between the G1 and the G15. The specs are very similar. I

With all due respect, and I really mean that, if that is your understanding then you don't fully understand digital photography. Nikon, for example, do not like in-camera sharpening, so they leave that for the photographer to do in the post-processing. The photographer must add the correct level of sharpening at that point or the image simply won't be sharp enough. What you/we did in the days of film is totally irrelevant but even then we had to develop and process the film negatives. You've concluded that because the file on the card looks much more like a finished photo from the days of film than film negs did, the digital file is therefore not a negative. That's wrong and anyone who thus concludes has simply misunderstood the digital process. Post-processing and manipulation are two completely different things and the fact that you link them as being the same again shows a complete lack of understanding.
    I will experiment based on your assertions and let you know. The sharpening thing is of interest in particular as most Canon exponents recommend linking the camera to a PC to make sure you have the point of focus spot on but none mention the need to sharpen the image once it's made. Anyway, as I say I'll have a little experiment.

Craftsman
    It sounds like you're after something like a Fuji X20. You won't get quite up to Leica image quality, to get close to that on a budget you'd need to look at something like Fuji X100 or X100s but those are both 35mm fixed focals, so no zoom. The X20 has a good zoom, is more compact and produces very good image quality to boot. There are many out there that will produce good IQ but I'm guessing you'll also want a viewfinder like I do? If so, the X20 will be tough to beat.

They're smaller than they look in that pic, too.

Specs here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x20
    I've got an X10 and it's a fantastic bit of kit - brilliant photos for a compact (it's never going to get to SLR quality, but'll cost a whole lot less). If you can live with a fixed focal length the X100s is AMAZING!

A question, if I may. The X20 sensor is 4 times smaller than that found in a M4/3 camera. There are no advantages that I can see in terms of size, lens selection or functionality so why recommend it over a good M4/3 alternative?

Serious question, and I'm intrigued to hear the answer.

No zoom, no HD video, fixed focal length and you should shoot in raw, but if you are feeling adventurous my suggestion is to try a Sigma DP series. If you are unsure, get one off eBay.

went to a big consumer electronics shop to try some cameras. I'm most impressed with the Fuji x20 series and the Canon G15 but also loved the system camera from Sony and Olympus. Like that Fuji.. really do.

Just my two cents but Im delighted with my Canon s100.The professionals go to point and shoot.

I bought the X20 a few weeks back and very pleased with it.

Looks great too.

I have a S95 and it is pretty much the perfect small compact for me. I bough a black finger grip for it and it makes it a lot easier to hold.

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_s90

What would be a good software programme, for a digital Nitwit, to "develop" RAW into a nice product?

Go to Adobe and get Photoshop CS2. They've now released it as a freebie and it'll do everything you need and much more.
    Not any longer.

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

It is a bit quirky but GIMP is a very powerful program.

Is anyone going to answer my question?

The OM-D is rubbish, mate but we didn't want to hurt your feelings.
    If you say so.

Master
    if you want value for money ...... a model that has just been replaced is usually great value

can be discounted by up to 50% ........ and the improvements of the "new model" are usually not that noticeable in real life

the X100 is being discounted substantially now that the X100s has been released, just to quote one example

but it also happens with the cheaper compacts, i.e. the S95 when the S100 was announced

(For IQ and build quality the Oly M4/3 cams take some beating, but maybe these are a little too big to fit "in the pocket")

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    if you want value for money ...... a model that has just been replaced is usually great value

can be discounted by up to 50% ........ and the improvements of the "new model" are usually not that noticeable in real life

the X100 is being discounted substantially now that the X100s has been released, just to quote one example

but it also happens with the cheaper compacts, i.e. the S95 when the S100 was announced

(For IQ and build quality the Oly M4/3 cams take some beating, but maybe these are a little too big to fit "in the pocket")
    Can't argue with that. I would say that the camera's very light, though, and in a lightweight case (I use a small Crumpler) can be carried pretty much all day whilst being barely noticeable.

Master
    Will one of you fine gentlemen please sell me his s95?
    I had absolutely no plans to get a camera, but, hey, this is the TZ-UK effect....

Alex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post
    I had absolutely no plans to get a camera, but, hey, this is the TZ-UK effect....

Alex
    S95 is a good choice, I have had mine for maybe a couple of years, it has performed well and has been extremely robust and hard wearing as I have carried it around in all conditions.

I would think the S100 will be very similar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    S95 is a good choice, I have had mine for maybe a couple of years, it has performed well and has been extremely robust and hard wearing as I have carried it around in all conditions.

I would think the S100 will be very similar
    I'm sure it will be.
    My budget does not extend to the amount necessary to purchase it though! :-)

The s95 would be more than enough for me- and a lot cheaper

Alex

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Since I bought the Sony NEX 7 I have pretty much stopped using the compacts I have. It is small enough to take anywhere even with a couple of lenses. The collapsible 16 to 50 is a great everyday lens.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post

Alex

I got My S110 for £238 delivered.

Cheers,
    Currently cot the tz27 at work for £159,, which I thought was pretty good value.

Chris.