closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Arly Oceanproof Diver information please

Craftsman

Vintage Arly Oceanproof Diver information please

Hello, I would welcome ANY info on this old diver, not familiar with the name, other than a little blurb on Google.
    I bought it from a chap who had it from new, bought in Malta whilst in the forces.

It has apparently been in a draw for the last 35 years :shock: and the photo he sent was using a camera which
    has obviously got cataract problems!

I took a chance, and it arrived this morning :mrgreen:

Expecting to have to carry out a full resto job, It was a pleasant surprise to find that with a clean, which entailed
    removing the bezel and extracting the DNA within, and a crystal polish, I was left with this!

On inspection, the ETA 2742 gold finish 25 jewel auto, was immaculate! :mrgreen: running on arrival, and keeping
    time. I'll keep an eye on it, in case a service is needed, but, for now, if it aint broke....

Something else which was unexpected, was the lovely bracelet. A strange, but effective sliding clasp design, which
    works very well.

So there it is!, it measures 37mm across the bezel and reminds me of an old Zodiac, it has what appears to be a diving
    sea bird on the back. if you guys know anything about the mark, or a date, I would appreciate your input.

Cheers!

Anyone else have an Arly Oceanproof 150?

Re: Vintage Arly Oceanproof Diver information please

It's probably generic apart from the dial and hands, that's why you can't find any info.

They are still around
    http://www.arlywatch.com/deutsch/index1.html

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    It's probably generic apart from the dial and hands, that's why you can't find any info.

They are still around

john
    Thanks for the link John, nice to see them still in production. I think you're right about the generic case, it certainly is familiar.

Perhaps someone has a watch with a similar case, interesting to see.......

Quote Originally Posted by montrehomme1

They are still around

john
    Thanks for the link John, nice to see them still in production. I think you're right about the generic case, it certainly is familiar.

Perhaps someone has a watch with a similar case, interesting to see.......
    I need to see more pictures, and from different angles. Just from what I can see, I'd say it looks similar to the Enicar Sherpa ...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Enicar-Sher ... 0849941524

... or Zodiac Sea Wolf.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Craftsman

I'll shoot some more pics in the morning, when there's some natural light :mrgreen:

I like the Arly Diver - it reminds me of an Bulova Accutron Astronaut.

Craftsman

Some more pics, hopefully gives an idea of the 'waisted' shape to the case, and flared lugs.

Whilst it looks fairly generic, the movement is quality. I would have expected something like an AS calibre in such a watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord
    Whilst it looks fairly generic, the movement is quality. I would have expected something like an AS calibre in such a watch.
    I know what you mean, and that's what I was expecting, but it's one of those that you have to handle to realise, it has a real quality feel to it. It's hard to explain, but we all know what it feels like!, the stainless case is weighty for its size and the case back screwed back in like silk!

The dial is hard to photograph (for me!) and although it appears grey, it has a bronze hue to it, and the patina in the lume is lovely!

I have done all the regular searches, but the case shape has proved elusive

The last watch I had, that had this 'feel', was an aged Squale super.

These days generic means 'run of the mill', those days (in the '60s) it meant minimum acceptable quality.

john

Craftsman

These days generic means 'run of the mill', those days (in the '60s) it meant minimum acceptable quality.

john
    Not sure I'd totally agree with this statement, with respect, my old Blandford Squale Master, shared its case with Dodaine, Sinn, Airain, Auricoste etc, all of which are still acknowledged as fine quality dive watches, as far as I can see.

There's also the Zodiac, Favre-Leuba, Droz, Royce case varieties from the era, yes, perhaps a cop out for not producing 'in-house' cases, but minimum acceptable quality?

I totally respect your opinion however, I've just noted your post count :mrgreen:

john
    Not sure I'd totally agree with this statement, with respect, my old Blandford Squale Master, shared its case with Dodaine, Sinn, Airain, Auricoste etc, all of which are still acknowledged as fine quality dive watches, as far as I can see.

There's also the Zodiac, Favre-Leuba, Droz, Royce case varieties from the era, yes, perhaps a cop out for not producing 'in-house' cases, but minimum acceptable quality?

I totally respect your opinion however, I've just noted your post count :mrgreen:
    I think you misunderstood my meaning of 'minimum acceptable quality' or I may have put it wrong. What I was trying to say was that the quality was not be allowed to go below a certain standard.

john

john

The 1970s Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Favre-Leuba Deep Blue, Royce 100atm and Cyma Divingstar 1500 to name but few all shared the same case made by Dixi. Many, many divers used the Dixi case; there is even a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms version! That reminds me to start a thread about them.

Craftsman

john

I think you misunderstood my meaning of 'minimum acceptable quality' or I may have put it wrong. What I was trying to say was that the quality was not be allowed to go below a certain standard.

john
    That makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification, and I agree whole-heartedly. Having owned a few of the mentioned watches, the quality was consistent, unlike some of the 'clones' on the market today.

Journeyman
    Love these 60's divers....

While it's true many companies used generic cases, there are some much more attractive than the others, and this is definitely one of the more attractive ones!