closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MKII Nassau-thoughts?

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.

MKII Nassau-thoughts?

Just picked up this MKII Nassau. Curious what others think about Bill Yao's latest work. I realize homage is a dirty word for some so I'm prepared for the haters. But regardless, feel free to share your thoughts.
    Obviously I'm biased. I'm just loving this watch.

[/URL]

Craftsman
    Looks great - how much did it set you back and how about a wrist shot?

Master
    Blog Entries
    FWWI I don't have a problem with homages and BY seems to produce them well. I am assuming this is a new model? If so I wonder why he chose this model when he has just done the Kingston.

I like it. I saw the piece on Worn & Wound, and was sorely tempted. The review seems to suggest less a straight homage, and more something taking its design cues from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    FWWI I don't have a problem with homages and BY seems to produce them well. I am assuming this is a new model? If so I wonder why he chose this model when he has just done the Kingston.
    Phil, it is a new model and it came about because a large amount of people told Bill they liked the Kingston dial layout, but not the gilt and gold hands. So the Nassau uses the sames case and dial configuration as Kingston, but tones down some of the "blink."

Apprentice
    it is very nice, wear it in good health! although I do find mk ii's pricing quite high if compared to other micro brands.

kemmner 007 and raven vintage 40mm are good choices too, although a little less faithful of a reproduction.
    Last edited by Ventriloquist; 14th April 2013 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    Looks great - how much did it set you back and how about a wrist shot?
    I'm really impressed with the way it feels on the wrist. Enough weight to let you know its there, but at the same time light enough to wear comfortably all day.

It looks very pretty indeed, its my understanding that MK 2 watches are very well built as well. I thought about getting one myself, but as has been already mentioned in this thread, the price seemed a bit steep for an homage and the lead time after ordering was about three months( I think at the moment the Nassau can't be ordered at all), so as a result I held off. It does look good though, to the OP , how are you finding it?

Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    It looks very pretty indeed, its my understanding that MK 2 watches are very well built as well. I thought about getting one myself, but as has been already mentioned in this thread, the price seemed a bit steep for an homage and the lead time after ordering was about three months( I think at the moment the Nassau can't be ordered at all), so as a result I held off. It does look good though, to the OP , how are you finding it?
    I've had it less than a week and no complaints. Its a watch that intially doesn't have a huge "wow" factor. The appreciation comes with time and day by day I've started to notice the small details that make it a great watch.

It's alright but I don't quite grasp the enthusiasm for these.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    I like it. I saw the piece on Worn & Wound, and was sorely tempted. The review seems to suggest less a straight homage, and more something taking its design cues from the original.
    I read the same review. And here it is for those interested:

http://wornandwound.com/2013/04/10/mkii-nassau-review/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTIME View Post

You stuck it on a Rollie bracelet?

Master
    I like it. Do you get the option of a spare watch case etc like you did with Kingston?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I like it. Do you get the option of a spare watch case etc like you did with Kingston?
    Just the Nassau, pelican case, papers, extra links and spring bars. The "plank" setup is unique to the Kingston. Nice if you can find one.

Rollie bracelet? Partially. The bracelet that came with the Nassau is in keeping with the vintage theme. But I needed something more substantial and what I came up with was a bracelet that is a combination of odds and ends from my watch box. And yes it contains some Rollie DNA.
    Last edited by AZTIME; 14th April 2013 at 10:25.

Like the look of the watch, price puts me off though.

I think of Bill Yao as being the CONUS counterpart of Our Eddie.I like his watches but i am really looking forward to Eddie's DN GMT i have owned 5 of Eddie's watches one of Bill's they were all superbly made to the highest quality but with extortionate customs fees and handling charges Eddie's watches would be more desirable.Both Bill & Eddie are to be commended for being out there competing against Chinese manufactured stuff(From Swiss Parts)from the big boys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventriloquist View Post
    it is very nice, wear it in good health! although I do find mk ii's pricing quite high if compared to other micro brands.

kemmner 007 and raven vintage 40mm are good choices too, although a little less faithful of a reproduction.
    Not every micro brand is the same.
    It's all in the attention to detail, the dial and hands of the Kingston are really something you should see in real life, and Bill regulates his watches very very precise.
    The only drawback is that you sometimes need a lot of patience with a project of Bill.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Looks nice except for that massive crown which looks like it would rip skin off.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    Looks nice except for that massive crown which looks like it would rip skin off.
    Bill really makes a great watch. I had a Kingston for a while and the build quality was excellent. Enjoy the Nassau.

As for the crown, if I remember correctly this is smaller than Kingston. One of the changes to make it different than the Kingston I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    As a Kingston owner I can honestly say the crown isn't an issue.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Looks great, loved the Kingston if a little small. This looks equally as impressive.

BY & MKII

Nice watch. I think Bill's watches are great when you can get hold of them. I bought a Blackwater (Benrus Type 1 style) when the prices were still reasonable. Sold it, as you do, and wish I hadn't. I was then number 9 or something like that on his TR-1000 (Tornek Rayville Blancpain) list. I paid my money and waited and waited and waited and got nowt. Only 7 or 8 were made in the end. I got my money back and gave up then. Still fancy a TR as I'll never be able to own a vintage BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    I think of Bill Yao as being the CONUS counterpart of Our Eddie.I like his watches but i am really looking forward to Eddie's DN GMT i have owned 5 of Eddie's watches one of Bill's they were all superbly made to the highest quality but with extortionate customs fees and handling charges Eddie's watches would be more desirable.Both Bill & Eddie are to be commended for being out there competing against Chinese manufactured stuff(From Swiss Parts)from the big boys.
    A little unfair to Eddie, whom I think has a nice way of doing business. I've purchased from both. When I bought a Precista I pushed the button, paid the money and had a nice watch about a week later. When I bought a MkII I paid a deposit and waited a year and a half for a watch that was supposed to be delivered in 12 months. Then I got a bill to pay the balance and had to wait another 16 months to get the watch with little feedback from MkII other than there were delays. I sold the watch without ever wearing it.

Frankly, the MkII business plan sucks. Basically, throw an idea out and then get deposits so the customers finance the project. If, God forbid, Mr Yao was incapacitated or killed I doubt anybody would get their money back. Also, the prices are getting a bit ambitious. The MkII Project 300 is an homage to the Omega SM300. The MkII version is going to run something like $1695. You can get a Watchco Omega SM300 or equivilent (build your own with an Omega movement and genuine parts) for just a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    A little unfair to Eddie, whom I think has a nice way of doing business. I've purchased from both. When I bought a Precista I pushed the button, paid the money and had a nice watch about a week later. When I bought a MkII I paid a deposit and waited a year and a half for a watch that was supposed to be delivered in 12 months. Then I got a bill to pay the balance and had to wait another 16 months to get the watch with little feedback from MkII other than there were delays. I sold the watch without ever wearing it.

Frankly, the MkII business plan sucks. Basically, throw an idea out and then get deposits so the customers finance the project. If, God forbid, Mr Yao was incapacitated or killed I doubt anybody would get their money back. Also, the prices are getting a bit ambitious. The MkII Project 300 is an homage to the Omega SM300. The MkII version is going to run something like $1695. You can get a Watchco Omega SM300 or equivilent (build your own with an Omega movement and genuine parts) for just a bit more.
    I'd agree with that. Quality might be good, but the business plan is comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'd agree with that. Quality might be good, but the business plan is comedy.
    I agree with you and Saxon007. Bill can be slow. Thats why I have never put down a deposit and I have always bought my MKII watches from the secondary market. I think it's a sensible option. Cuts down on anger and pent up frustration and occasionally results in a great deal!!

Master
    Not into Homage watches and at that price it's a no no for me, I am sure it's a nice watch but it does nothing for me at all.

Apprentice
    Out of interest, what is a fair price on the secondary market for one in good nick? That W&W review gives a price new of some $900, but I can see lots of chancers trying to sell theirs for way more than that. Is this because they're out of stock and not for sale at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrustvector View Post
    Is this because they're out of stock and not for sale at the moment?
    Sad to say, that is the reason for inflated prices. Fortunately for now the secondary market price for the Nassau is staying close to the original and many sellers on this side of the pond are eating import tariff fees. But as I said, thats at least the situation as it stands now.
    Last edited by AZTIME; 17th April 2013 at 17:00.

Master
    I've owned most of Bill's work over the years and think his homage watches are great updates to the original. Superb finishing and quality for the price even if they are becoming a bit too pricey for the 'homage' bracket.
    As good as Bill's attention to detail and effort he puts into the watches, I think Bill is as much the weakness in his watch company. He never makes his watches on time. My Kingston was over 2 years late and Nassau was going to be 2 months late even though I got in the first 10. He is also rubbish at replying to emails. If you can tolerate that and have the patience of a saint when putting money up front then MK II is for you, if not then best stay away for your sanity. Having said that, for all the reasons above, MK II watches make a very good used watch buy

Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    My Kingston was over 2 years late
    Wait what? You could propably get a bespoke Voutilainen faster.

Journeyman
    Unfortunately i have always been disappointed with every big crown "homage i have ever owned.. If you've ever held, worn, truly coveted the originals, there will never be a substitute, no matter how nice the substitute may be...