closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question About Seiko Bracelet Pins

Journeyman

Question About Seiko Bracelet Pins

Hi,

I needed to remove a link from my aging everyday Seiko kinetic diver style watch. I used a link remover than I bought from ebay and removed two pins with ease.

I reassembled using one of the puns and it seemed a bit free. Still, used it and a couple of days later, my watch fell off my wrist - the pin had come out.

I tried the other pin which seemed equally loose but went ahead anyway. Sure enough it fell apart today.

I haven't lost the pins and have reassembled once more but am expecting it to come apart again.

Any idea why.

When I removed them I took careful care to ensure that no parts went astry. There wasn't anything other than the pins and the links.

Why aren't they securing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Master
    Not an expert but my Orange Monster has tiny shims(?) on the end of the pins that are easily lost bu without them you get the problem you have.

Master
    It sounds like you have not replaced the collars. They are very tiny and easily lost. If you used a pin removal tool they sometimes get stuck on the end of the tool itself.

Craftsman
    No necessarily the collars...

I have a Seiko Pilot thing that had tiny spring split pins that held the bracelet together, with no collars. The bracelet fell apart one day, and I discovered one of these split pins had fallen out. Tried to put it back, but it kept falling out. Turns out the "loop" at the end had failed, and the split pin was in two parts, and wouldn't stay in the link.

Ordered a set from Seiko UK, and job jobbed.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

I hate it and it seems to have different width for the collar

They are such a fiddle but it can be done with care. Well, if I can do it you can!

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies.

I was expecting something like this so took great care when I removed them. But I could see nothing other than the pin itself which just looks like a piece of wire.

It might be on the pin removal tool but I can't check that until Sunday evening as I am away from home.

It's only a utility watch so I think I will put a smear of PVA on the end of te pin when I reinsert. Should be enough to stop it working loose but will easily give way should I need to remove the pin again.

Cheers

Nigel
    Last edited by nheather; 13th April 2013 at 14:29.

Apologies for the thread resurrection but this seemed very relevant to my current situation and I wondered if there was a conclusive answer. I spotted an SNDF87P1 for a decent price in John Lewis yesterday so bought it. I intend to put it on a Gulf colours NATO at some point after seeing a photo of that lovely combination on here a few weeks ago. However in the meantime I attempted to remove a couple of links from the bracelet to wear the watch now. I'm absolutely certain there are no collars like there were on my Monster bracelet, but the pins came out fairly easily (easier than I expected anyway) and they don't seem very secure when replaced. Two links removed meant three pins out and one to go back in, so I tried all three and they all feel equally easy going back in. I certainly don't have the confidence I'd like that the pin will stay put. What am I missing please?!

Ian

Many pins are a one way system. When you shove them out ( the right way ) they need go back in pointing the same way - into the opposite end they came from. These threads often say only one side of the adjusted bracelet fails - ime that's because the "hacker" :-) has inadvertently turned the bracelet over mid process, reversing the direction of the soon to fail pin. Hope the makes sense.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Many pins are a one way system. When you shove them out ( the right way ) they need go back in pointing the same way - into the opposite end they came from. These threads often say only one side of the adjusted bracelet fails - ime that's because the "hacker" :-) has inadvertently turned the bracelet over mid process, reversing the direction of the soon to fail pin. Hope the makes sense.
    Thanks. Yes that makes perfect sense. I removed the pins in the direction of the arrow on the links, and I re-inserted the pin again in the direction of the arrow. You'd think it would be tight, but it just didn't feel it. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing!

Craftsman
    The pins for my SNZF17 popped in and out easily but never came apart after 3 years of abuse. I do prefer the collar system, as long as you don't lose the collars.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    The pins for my SNZF17 popped in and out easily but never came apart after 3 years of abuse. I do prefer the collar system, as long as you don't lose the collars.
    That's good to hear! Perhaps I AM worrying over nothing then! Thanks.

Craftsman
    A very small drop of Loctite 222 low strength threadlocker works well to secure pins