closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush - The Movie

Rush - The Movie

Latest Official Trailer on YouTube

Proper goosebumps. I can't wait...
    Last edited by RossC; 8th April 2013 at 16:04.

Master
    Doh, didn't click on link, assumed the band not the Hunt / Lauda film.
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 8th April 2013 at 13:42.

I go to the movies about twice a decade....this could well be one of those visits!
    '76 was the first season I really followed F1.

In cinemas 13th September (2013)

Craftsman
    "Sex, the breakfast of Champions" - James Hunt

Craftsman
    The greatest era of F1 , but then again i was only 10.

Don't understand why Hunt deserves a biopic. He was hardly the greatest driver of his generation. Lauda was 5 times the driver.

Looks good. The Nicki Lauda looks uncannily accurate. I had a little trouble accepting Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt. Obviously, I'll watch the film anyway.

Master
    Looks good, but I thought this would be a thread about a similarly-named Canadian rock band.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Don't understand why Hunt deserves a biopic. He was hardly the greatest driver of his generation. Lauda was 5 times the driver.
    It's not a Hunt biopic, it's a film about one of the most extraordinary F1 seasons and the battle for the championship therein.

That said Hunt may not have been one of the greats but he had more personality in his toe nail clippings than a certain 7 times world champion who comes to mind.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Looks good, but I thought this would be a thread about a similarly-named Canadian rock band.
    I also thought this!!

Looking forward to it, Only learn't about james hunt in the last couple of years... that era of formula 1 looked crazy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Latest Official Trailer on YouTube

Proper goosebumps. I can't wait...
    Awe...bloody...some. I really cannot wait to see this. This was my F1 era - and luckily, the best F1 era IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post

Me to :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lilolee View Post
    Who's she?

A great quote, would have made a much better title for the movie than 'Rush'.

Film looks great though, gonna be a long wait till September.

If you want a little prelude/history lesson, then this recent BBC documentary is definitely worth watching:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Racing_Rivals/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    If you want a little prelude/history lesson, then this recent BBC documentary is definitely worth watching:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Racing_Rivals/
    Agreed. I imagine the film is a more sensational view of events. I remember at the time that the whole Hunt v Lauda thing wasn't really a central issue. The horrible crash was though. I have enormous admiration for what Lauda went through and came back from.

If you're interested in Hunt/Lauda/Rush there are a load of articles on the three (and an interview with Ron Howard) in F1 Racing this month.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Getting close now. 13th of next month is UK release date.

Craftsman
    Yes, even the wife wants to see it after watching the documentary on the TV a few weeks ago

Saw it today - just fantastic.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Watched it Friday night, as someone who was not even born when they were racing I thought it was excellent, The sound of the cars made the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

My wife and son dragged me along to see it on Friday. I've zero interest in cars, never mind Motorsport, but i thought it was entertaining.

You could see the budget creaking in a few places and I didn't think they quite captured to "feel" of the 70s but my beer lasted into the second hour and that's always a fair test.

Excellent film

Not sure how accurate it is
    But then again its not a documentary

Tells you a lot about lauda too

Just thinking
    Wonder if they do a Barry Sheene film

I loved F1 in that period, real excitement and dicing with death as opposed to the H&S parade it has become now.

I must admit I am always wary of those "faction" type films though so I won't bother.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Got invited to an advance screening a week or so ago, took the good lady and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember the Lauda crash from when I was a nipper and to see the story leading up to it was really interesting. The noise of the cars was superb. Well worth a watch.

Saw this today and thought it was very good.

Master
    Saw it on Saturday and though it was an excellent film. Not a big F1 fan, but watched the recent BBC4 Documentary about the rivalry and plus it looked like a great cinematic event, and indeed it was. It would be difficult to recreate the fantastic sound in the cinema at home, and it certainly added to the experience. I can see why there is an Oscar buzz for Daniel Brühl, he was simply outstanding.
    And strangely I found myself rooting (even though I was aware of the outcome) for Lauda.

Up there with Senna the documentary movie, a film I still find a difficult watch, and a very emotional film

Quote Originally Posted by ragerover View Post
    Just thinking
    Wonder if they do a Barry Sheene film
    No, not more nylon Marque jackets!

That's one thing the film got wrong, everyone was wearing their nice down filled Puffa style jackets with fancy embroidery, not those ghastly highly flammable jackets with the huge sewn on patches everyone ore in the mid 70s.

PS Yes please, that would be a good film.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    No, not more nylon Marque jackets!

That's one thing the film got wrong, everyone was wearing their nice down filled Puffa style jackets with fancy embroidery, not those ghastly highly flammable jackets with the huge sewn on patches everyone ore in the mid 70s.
    That's the trouble with modern "updates" in films.

I guess if you were not around at the time it may seem very accurate but for those that wore those marque jackets in all their nylon wonder it looks a bit wrong.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Really looking forward to watching this! Luckily my missis loves f1 as much as I do!

Master
    My girlfriend loved it despite having no interest in motorsport.

The film works more as a story of a relationship between, and relationships with others, that happened to involve two racing drivers

Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    Up there with Senna the documentary movie, a film I still find a difficult watch, and a very emotional film
    Just watched Senna, a must see for anyone.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Tomorrow, 4:45 pm screening. Looking forward to it

I watched it last night and although I had really been looking forward to it, I rate it as a 'good' film rather than a 'great' one. I suppose that partly comes from the fact that I already knew how it was going to end!

Saying that, however, it is definitely one of the best films about racing out there. The racing scenes themselves were more involving than those in Le Mans.

There is one small detail that really bugged me throughout the film (and the trailers) - Hemsworth's hair style. Although it was long & blonde (a la Hunt), the style was completely different to Hunt's. Hemsworth's was a much more modern style, not the '70s style of Hunt's. I'm surprised that such a detail made it all of the way through to the final film.

Just came back from the cinema. Greatly surprised as I'm not a big fan of F1. I really liked the development of both characters and the chap playing Lauda is amazing (Bhrul's the name I think). Ron Howard is great as usual.

Master
    I was also at the cinema today to see this and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    As Bravo73 says if you know the outcome a little bit of the edge is take off,

for those interested the BBC are repeating the Documentary Hunt V Lauda on BBC2 this Sunday 22nd at 1900. Same story without the Hollywood slant

Craftsman
    Fantastic film. As mentioned previously there have been some interesting documentaries on the BBC too about F1 back in the 70's which I'd recommend watching.

Blog Entries
    Went last night, awesome. Took my mate who's not really a big fan of f1 (I am quite a fan although not huge) but he really enjoyed it too.....

It was great how they made the screen "gritty" and not crystal clear, giving a feeling of vintage film stock when we know it want really!

The narrative at the end with some actual footage and pics of James Hunt/Lauda in their heyday and then a lingering shot of Lauda now were a great ending to the movie IMO and showed what a tragedy it was for Hunt to die at 45.

Very strongly recommended!

Blog Entries
    Oh and Daniel Bruhl should be nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Lauda. He was soooooo convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Went last night, awesome. Took my mate who's not really a big fan of f1 (I am quite a fan although not huge) but he really enjoyed it too.....

It was great how they made the screen "gritty" and not crystal clear, giving a feeling of vintage film stock when we know it want really!

The narrative at the end with some actual footage and pics of James Hunt/Lauda in their heyday and then a lingering shot of Lauda now were a great ending to the movie IMO and showed what a tragedy it was for Hunt to die at 45.

Very strongly recommended!
    +1

Great film. Those guys were titans. Somehow, I can't imagine the Vettel and Alonso film in 40 years time.

All the Heuer advertising and I don't recall seeing a single watch!

Does anyone know if the scene where Hunt lays into the journo who offends Nikki actually happened? My guess is that it was added for dramatic effect but I'd love it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Does anyone know if the scene where Hunt lays into the journo who offends Nikki actually happened? My guess is that it was added for dramatic effect but I'd love it to be true.
    Apparently a journalist did ask a similar question, but Hunt didn't punch him for it. Neither was it Hunt that lead the opposition to Lauda's call for the Nürburgring race to be cancelled. Those scenes were added for dramatic effect. Lauda and Hunt were actually much better friends than the film would have you believe. But you know what they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Master
    Saw this last night and thought it was excellent. A shame they felt they needed to up the antagonism, which apparently wasn't really there, but apart from that (and the anoraks) very good.

Probably too niche but I'd love to see a Tony Brise / Roger Williamson / Tom Pryce film, you could even roll some Dave Purley in their too.
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 24th September 2013 at 11:34.

Craftsman
    I have this very quote stuck on my race bike, as well as "Go big or go home"

Should be going to see the film this week after seeing all your good comments, i must admit i was a litte aprehensive at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Apparently a journalist did ask a similar question, but Hunt didn't punch him for it. Neither was it Hunt that lead the opposition to Lauda's call for the Nürburgring race to be cancelled. Those scenes were added for dramatic effect. Lauda and Hunt were actually much better friends than the film would have you believe. But you know what they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    That's my opposition to "faction" films right there.

Real life protagonists with made up stuff just for effect.

People who weren't there at the time will have a problem telling fact from fiction and will probably think the whole thing is pretty much a documentary.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Guys, it's a film, get over it. A very enjoyable film at that. Oh and James Bond is imaginary as well, probably doesn't stop your enjoyment of those films.

Guys, it's a film, get over it. A very enjoyable film at that. Oh and James Bond is imaginary as well, probably doesn't stop your enjoyment of those films.

We know James Bond etc are made up but when you get real life characters involved you blur the lines between what is real and imaginary.

People who were not there at the time and have no understanding of what really went on will probably take the film as gospel and in years to come I have no doubt the film will be quoted on the net as a true rendition of the facts simply because real (as opposed to imaginary) characters were involved.
    Cheers,
    Neil.