closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko M300 V Orient 300 saturation diver

Craftsman

Seiko M300 V Orient 300 saturation diver

For a long time seiko MM300 has been a watch iv'e coveted until i came across the Orient 300m sat diver .

The threads that come up on watch forums give a very good writeup of the Orient and made me wonder which is the better of the 2.

The MM300 costs a lot more but is the orient a better buy, so has any one handled either one or both to give me a better insight of these watches .

Thanks .

Hi. I was interested in this comparison and asked the same questions - see here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Orient

There is loads of comparison material on various forums too.

Craftsman
    There is new Orient Watch Pro Saturation Diver EL02003H new for 2013 ,it looks like Orient are trying to improve on what's already a good watch .

Blog Entries
    I own the mm300, and I love it. Considered the Orient too, but choose the Seiko mainly out of love for the history and design.
    I haven't handled the Orient in person, but I really like the style. Reviews are all positive, and I'm sure it's a great watch.

My conclusions are:

Orient
    + Like the style
    + Reasonably priced
    + Positive reviews
    - Not as high end movement as the Seiko
    - Very large (both hight and diameter)
    - Don't like the power display

MM
    + Perfect size but on the large end of the rope
    + Great bracelet
    + Put together by hand
    + Great finish
    + Great movement
    + Bezel is lovely.
    + Has a lot off different looks depending on light conditions
    - Hard to regulate and requires shipping for service (to UK, but still)
    - More expensive than the Orient

I would have made the same decision again without blinking. I have a 18,5 cm wrist.

+1 for the MM300
    classic looks, rich history, superb quality, worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    I own the mm300, and I love it. Considered the Orient too, but choose the Seiko mainly out of love for the history and design.
    I haven't handled the Orient in person, but I really like the style. Reviews are all positive, and I'm sure it's a great watch.

My conclusions are:

Orient
    + Like the style
    + Reasonably priced
    + Positive reviews

MM
    + Great bracelet
    + Put together by hand
    + Great finish
    + Great movement
    + Bezel is lovely.

I would have made the same decision again without blinking. I have a 18,5 cm wrist.
    Great summary. Can't disagree with any of those points.

Craftsman

My conclusions are:

Orient
    + Like the style
    + Reasonably priced
    + Positive reviews

MM
    + Great bracelet
    + Put together by hand
    + Great finish
    + Great movement
    + Bezel is lovely.

I agree with all your points regarding both watches ,the Orient is a very large watch and i'm not sure i have the wrist that can pull it off. [7.5INCH]

The seiko is expensive and can't be serviced in the uk so any work to be carried out would mean it would have to go back to Japan ,that said it's a good looking watch .

The orient does have a unique look which makes me question why spend double for the MM300 .

It would be nice if we could get anyone who owns the Orient to share there thought's .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    The seiko is expensive and can't be serviced in the uk so any work to be carried out would mean it would have to go back to Japan
    I think there are several persons in UK who can service it, and I believe either Seiko UK or Seiko Germany can service it.

Blog Entries
    And the Oriënt with it's low beat 21.600 movement runs for at least ten years without a service.............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    I think there are several persons in UK who can service it, and I believe either Seiko UK or Seiko Germany can service it.
    I contacted Seiko Uk last summer regarding this very subject and they said it would have to go back to japan, on the plus side they said they would be happy to
    send it to japan when work is required .

On the negative side they had no idea how much a service would cost , as seiko japan would inform you once they are in possession of it ,your kind of held to ransom .

I ended up buying the Omega PO chrono ,but i still wonder what if .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    And the Oriënt with it's low beat 21.600 movement runs for at least ten years without a service.............

Daddel.
    I didn't know that so that's kinda cool if that's the case .

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that so that's kinda cool if that's the case .
    My brother has an Oriënt star with the same movement running for eleven years without a problem.
    It still does about ten seconds fast in a day, which is fine by me.

Daddel.

I prefer the Orient 300m by a long mile.

Not only it is cheaper but it is Orient's flagship diver with superb construction and a 6mm thick sapphire crystal. The Seiko MM300 is still saddled with a Hardlex mineral crystal which is absurd on a $2K watch.

Remember also that Seiko owns Orient so quality and reliability are a given.

Blog Entries
    Strange, because I bought mine from a seller in Germany in November, and he told me that it did not have to go back to Japan for service. Perhaps it's Seiko France or Germany who service them? My warranty card is for Europe, so they should have a service center for the 8L35 movement in Europe. On the other hand, when mine needs service, I'm sure it will be available in Europe even if it isn't today.

Someone in another thread here on TZUK sent his mm300 to Japan last year, and I think he payed £300-£350 with a 3-4 weeks wait.
    I don't really worry about servicing at the moment, but when the time comes, I'm sure it can be sorted by someone within EU. If not by an official Seiko center, then at least by an independent watchmaker.

Craftsman
    Strange, because I bought mine from a seller in Germany in November, and he told me that it did not have to go back to Japan for service. Perhaps it's Seiko France or Germany who service them? My warranty card is for Europe, so they should have a service center for the 8L35 movement in Europe. On the other hand, when mine needs service, I'm sure it will be available in Europe even if it isn't today.

Someone in another thread here on TZUK sent his mm300 to Japan last year, and I think he payed £300-£350 with a 3-4 weeks wait.
    I don't really worry about servicing at the moment, but when the time comes, I'm sure it can be sorted by someone within EU. If not by an official Seiko center, then at least by an independent watchmaker.
    I can only repeat what Seiko UK informed my last year ,they said they where not equipped to service the MM300 and that they
    would happily send it to Japan if i wanted any work done .

I then contacted genesis watchmaking ,here in the Uk . They didn't feel they could do any service work incase they had problem's
    sourcing part's .

The unique construction of the MM300 prompted me to do a little research before i splashed the cash ,as i said i ended up buying
    an Omega .

The seiko is the one you would look back in 30 years and still say its a cool watch with a classic look ,not sure about the Orient .

Both great watches in their own right.
    I've had 4-5 SBDX001, a SBDX003 and a yellow OS300M before and yesterday I received this one,

To me the OS300M is more of a "brute", much because of the design/look of the bezel and the squared case between the lugs (makes for a great match with an Isofrane ).
    The downside for me with the OS300M is the bracelet which I just cannot get along with in terms of looks and comfort, but considering how well it wears on rubber it is kind of a non-issue anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    I've had 4-5 SBDX001, a SBDX003 and a yellow OS300M before and yesterday I received this one,

To me the OS300M is more of a "brute", much because of the design/look of the bezel and the squared case between the lugs (makes for a great match with an Isofrane ).
    The downside for me with the OS300M is the bracelet which I just cannot get along with in terms of looks and comfort, but considering how well it wears on rubber it is kind of a non-issue anyway.
    Wow you love your Japanese divers .

I know you've just received the OS300M but is she a keeper and at half the price of the MM300 is the Orient good value .

There is a new OS300M out for 2013 , but i'm not sure on the hand's ,yours looks better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post

That looks awesome, congratulations. During the last weeks I did some research as I felt the need to give the Orient 300m a try. I prefer the hands of the previous model and now I have an Orient 300m black dial from 2011 incoming which should arrive tomorrow (keeping fingers crossed). I'm pretty curious to know how it compares to my sbdx001 but now that I saw yours on Isofrane I have no doubt that the Orient 300m could become a keeper

If the OS300M movement now handwinds (as indicated in the linked thread above), is there any practical purpase served by that PR indicator cluttering up the dial? I could see it as a necessity on a non-hand winding diver - I'd want some reassurance that my watch was fully wound before I backflipped off the side of the boat - but with a hand winding movement, I'd just unscrew the crown and give it twenty to thirty turns, screw it back down and hop in the water. Just sayin'...

Otherwise, a nice watch, and a nice alternative I'm sure if you didn't want to pop for the higher sticker price on the MM300. With its obvious drawbacks, I'm stiil glad I went with the Seiko.

Wow you love your Japanese divers .
    Guilty as charged.
    I have (and have had) a fair few more of all kinds and shapes besides the ones discussed in this thread.

I know you've just received the OS300M but is she a keeper and at half the price of the MM300 is the Orient good value .

I don't subscribe to the idea/concept of keepers really. The only watch I'm sure i'll never part ways with is my great grandfathers pocket watch. Others can come and go. The Orient is VG value IMO, especially on the 2nd hand market.

There is a new OS300M out for 2013 , but i'm not sure on the hand's ,yours looks better.
    I've seen it and I prefer the hands (and OS logo) of the first generation.

Last edited by S.L; 7th April 2013 at 21:27.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=TakesALickin;2689839]If the OS300M movement now handwinds (as indicated in the linked thread above), is there any practical purpase served by that PR indicator cluttering up the dial? I could see it as a necessity on a non-hand winding diver - I'd want some reassurance that my watch was fully wound before I backflipped off the side of the boat - but with a hand winding movement, I'd just unscrew the crown and give it twenty to thirty turns, screw it back down and hop in the water. Just sayin'...

Otherwise, a nice watch, and a nice alternative I'm sure if you didn't want to pop for the higher sticker price on the MM300. With its obvious drawbacks, I'm stiil glad I went with the Seiko.

[/QUOTE

Wow
    I've never seen that look on a marinemaster before . Really cool .

Personally, I never like the Orient 300 till their 3rd gen (PNM)

The only selling point for MM300 is the one-piece case while the case of Orient 300 is just like a 007 in steroid

and does it worth the extra cost of $500 over the Orient??

Master
    My "new" Orient 300m arrived today. This is indeed a huge diver, although imho it's not out of proportion. My first impressions are very positive. The bezel action is fantastic. The bracelet seems to be of good quality, but on first sight it doesn't look as good as the bracelet of my Marinemaster. Though the clasps seem to be identical. The crown operates very precise without any wobble and it screws down like butter. Very nice. Let's proceed with some pictures...

I'm going to tell you more after a few days of wearing this beast ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    If the OS300M movement now handwinds (as indicated in the linked thread above), is there any practical purpase served by that PR indicator cluttering up the dial? I could see it as a necessity on a non-hand winding diver - I'd want some reassurance that my watch was fully wound before I backflipped off the side of the boat - but with a hand winding movement, I'd just unscrew the crown and give it twenty to thirty turns, screw it back down and hop in the water. Just sayin'...
    The PR indicator is a major plus point in many people's views, hand winding or not.

Orient have always set out to make a watch that is a little bit different and so are not likely to remove one of the key differentiating features of many of their watches.

Orient for me.

Had a MM300 for about a week but found it so dull I never wore it. Just personal preference of course.

Now the MM600 however...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Orient for me.

Had a MM300 for about a week but found it so dull I never wore it. Just personal preference of course.

Now the MM600 however...
    The mm300 is much loved but is also much flipped . Because its JDM we can't try it on before we buy , just hope from the reviews , pictures and videos out there it's one to add to our collection .

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The PR indicator is a major plus point in many people's views, hand winding or not.

Orient have always set out to make a watch that is a little bit different and so are not likely to remove one of the key differentiating features of many of their watches.
    Love it or don't love it as the case may be. But you will concede that its unnecessary?

Love it or don't love it as the case may be. But you will concede that its unnecessary?
    Most things are unecessary if you think about it. 300m WR for example.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Most things are unecessary if you think about it. 300m WR for example.
    Granted. Dive watches themselves are unnecessary in today's world. But if you set out to make one, there is a specific set of criteria that is commonly acknowledged as required (ISO 6425) and then everything else is just superfluous. I suppose it's the designer's prerogative as to how much extra stuff gets thrown into the soup. You always run the risk of going too far.

Not comparing the Orient to this monstrosity - I'm just saying where do you stop when adding stuff above and beyond the base requirements? Maybe best to not start adding at all.

I have owned both watches and this really is a difficult one as far as a "better buy" is concerned. Both are interesting but very different watches.

As mentioned within the thread, comparisons of both watches have been discussed in depth both here and the Seiko and Citizen Forum and views differ amongst owners. I am sure these views will rumble on for years to come.

Here are my personal thoughts.

The Seiko is a watch I have owned then got bored with repetitively, so much so that I have owned thirteen SBDX001's since initial production back in 2000. The SBDX001 is well made and rather good looking. The bezel functions nicely too. Would I buy another? Quite possibly. I love my Seiko's and I have done for over three decades now and the SBDX001 will always be one of the modern day classics.

I have owned two of the Orient's and it too is a well made and great looking watch. It is bigger than the Seiko. Some do not like the power reserve but I like it. The bezel function would embarrass most Omega and Breitling divers and of course, the latest model both hacks and manual winds.

If I was going to buy one of these watches based on value, build quality, servicing costs and timekeeping, my choice would be the Orient as it really is great value for money in the used market place. I also prefer the larger case.
    Last edited by j111dja; 8th April 2013 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

The only selling point for MM300 is the one-piece case while the case of Orient 300 is just like a 007 in steroid

OK now i'm in! Where do i get this from then TZ??? Thats EPIC!!

I had the yellow;

Can't afford it, wrist too small but my god I want that watch.

Blog Entries
    <shrug> The entire watch is unnecessary for most people and most purposes. The sapphire crystal is unnecessary; it could just as easily be mineral (Seiko use mineral in divers for good technical reasons, not to be cheap). The hacking feature is unnecessary but Orient still added it. And so on. So, sure, the PR is unnecessary but what of it? It being unnecessary is no reason for it not to be there alongside all the other unnecessary features of the watch. On the other hand, if you asked Orient they might say that it was necessary from their perpsective since PR indicators are a common differentiator for Orient watches.

That new hand set is rather nice.

This must be the nicest white dialled diver I have seen for a long, long time.

I guess its just me but I could never get along with the Orient logos plus the date on the left side just doesn't sit well with me...sorry tried to like the Orient but I still prefer the MM300

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    <shrug> The entire watch is unnecessary for most people and most purposes. The sapphire crystal is unnecessary; it could just as easily be mineral (Seiko use mineral in divers for good technical reasons, not to be cheap). The hacking feature is unnecessary but Orient still added it. And so on. So, sure, the PR is unnecessary but what of it? It being unnecessary is no reason for it not to be there alongside all the other unnecessary features of the watch. On the other hand, if you asked Orient they might say that it was necessary from their perpsective since PR indicators are a common differentiator for Orient watches.
    We could go on like that forever since watches are completely unnecessary in and of themselves. My point is that the unnecessary PR indicator destroys the symmetry of the dial and is the probable cause of the date being relocated to the left side of the dial. Bottom line, if you took away the PR, and put the date back at 3 o'clock, you'd have a classically good looking watch. In fact, you'd have something more like the MM300.

We could go on like that forever since watches are completely unnecessary in and of themselves. My point is that the unnecessary PR indicator destroys the symmetry of the dial and is the probable cause of the date being relocated to the left side of the dial. Bottom line, if you took away the PR, and put the date back at 3 o'clock, you'd have a classically good looking watch. In fact, you'd have something more like the MM300.
    Ah but the Japanese like that sort of stuff though. Wabi-sabi includes asymmetry

more pix from a sale forum (PNM) This set of hands makes a complete different watch and the bezel...frankly, after seeing this Orient, I feel the MM300 very bored.

Last edited by seikomatic; 9th April 2013 at 03:43.

Blog Entries
    As always it comes down to taste. I would not base my choice on serial flippers tendency to flip the mm300. For me the mm is just on the right side of big, and the Orient would just be too big. If the Orient had the same bezel as now, but a little smaller, and a little larger hands I'm sure I would add it to the watch box, but to me it looks like a case and a bezel. The rest is just clutter. I'm sure it's a great watch and I love the lug design, just not the symmetry.

The problem is that once you start to think like that, the risk is big you'll end up with something boring, that doesn't stand out.

With watches, I find it best to just follow your heart. That is why I bought the mm and my GS. Not because of just vfm or statistics, but because they screamed "buy me" through every picture I saw.
    The higher priced one is not always the best, and quality is not always the best reason to buy something. A watch will a little less quality can beat a higher quality watch just based on how it grabs you.

I started an "alternatives to the mm?" thread before I bought mine, but I was already hooked so the logic was irrelevant. Just buy what grabs you. They are surely both great watches.

Don't have either, both great watches, I much prefer Seiko over Orient as a brand and especially at this price range, so Orient is a great buy, but personally I would go for the Seiko, even though it is more expensive.

Blog Entries
    I owned two MM300`s, lovely pieces, still miss them.
    But to me the MM30 was still a luxury diver, a watch to treasure, that's why I also want to try out the Oriënt, it's a real tool, and looks like it should be abused, I could live with the Oriënt being scratched an scuffed.....................I think.................

The prices for the latest model OS300 are very mixed, from very high to reasonable, also depending on the color, so watch out when buying.

Daddel.

SOMEONE ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!

where do i get that white faced beast from?? it's not on seiya, and the internet is throwing up nothing, Eddie make one of these NOW!!

found it in a Japanese web site but you might try to ask those few famous Japanese online dealers and see any one of them could help.

Write to Seiya and do let us know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post

where do i get that white faced beast from?? it's not on seiya, and the internet is throwing up nothing, Eddie make one of these NOW!!
    There are some sellers on eBay , but buyer beware .

yeah there's one in Malaysia, i'll have a look in Japan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post

Maybe here: http://www.seriouswatches.eu/orient/...-el02003w.html

Never dealt with them though.

Blog Entries

Seiko M300 V Orient 300 saturation diver

Serious w is great. Bought 3 watches from them. Shipment from EU. Check YouTube clip under the products to get discount code.

So i got a deal through serious watches, i'm finalising tomorrow! The custoer service there is absolutely amazing, i cannot recomend them enough!

On to the isofranes then!

Blog Entries
    We could go on like that forever since watches are completely unnecessary in and of themselves.
    Quite so, which, being so, means that we're just down to asthetics preferences and personal taste, as below...

My point is that the unnecessary PR indicator destroys the symmetry of the dial and is the probable cause of the date being relocated to the left side of the dial.
    So what? Seriously, there is no rule that I am aware of or care about that says that dials necessarily need to be symmetrical. Whether you prefer symmetrial or not is purely a matter of aesthetics or taste. If you like it that's fine, if not that's fine too. Personally I think this watch looks great.

Bottom line, if you took away the PR, and put the date back at 3 o'clock, you'd have a classically good looking watch.
    I think it's pretty damn good looking as it is! Why make it more boring (or "classically good looking" as one might put it) when it looks excellent just as it is. See, it's all a matter of personal taste. ;-)

In fact, you'd have something more like the MM300.
    Well quite but then there's the MM300 for that. There's probably little point in doing it again when it's been done before (and done well with the MM300). As I think I mentioned in a previous message, the whole raison d'etre of Orient is to be a little bit different. PR and date on the left is a little bit different. That's what makes it good (in my opinion). But not everyone chooses Orient because of Orient's slightly different design and aesthetic choices.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 10th April 2013 at 02:40. Reason: Added clarification

Master
    For me it's no contest and the MM300 wins hands down. I wouldn't have even considered the Orient as a competitor and would have looked at something like a Doxa, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Good luck!