closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some watches that are probably not owned by the members of this forum

Some watches that are probably not owned by the members of this forum

except for the Corum Bridge and one or two TokyoFlash models - but some of them are really cool.

"In the day and age of smartphones, tablets and even a hybrid like Pebble, there is less and less need for owning a watch. The time is everywhere you look. But one of the genuine attractions of owning a watch, is to make a statement, a bold first impression if you will. An individuals taste in clothes often affects your initial perception of them, and the same logic applies with a time piece on your wrist.
    With that in mind, here’s 35 of the most startling & stylish watches across the web – designs so unique, that even if you don’t seen the practical need for a watch, you’ll still want to have one of these bad boys on your wrist."

http://sobadsogood.com/2013/02/14/35...oull-ever-see/

I don't think this has been posted before.

They're all crap. The vast majority of them, you can't tell the time, quickly or easily. What's the point ?

Helium escape valve - what's the point? A ten-grand watch - what's the point? A watch that can send SOS on 121.5 - what's the point? A watch water resistant to 1000m - what's the point? A moonphase - what's the point?

The point being, can you tell the time quickly and easily. Why else would you wear one ? Surely that's the point of a wrist watch ? Yes, you can have unnecessary complications, and over engineered cases but if it doesn't do the basic job of telling the time, well, why wear it at all ?

All IMO
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 6th April 2013 at 21:35.

Well I thought there were at least a few nice watches on there, but then quirky watches do appeal to me. Was disappointed to only own one from the list, though I do have a number of similar ones.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple to TokyoFlash watches. I like the quirkiness and they came along before I started with proper watches. They are both keepers!

There will never ever be a reason to wear concrete on your wrist, never! FFS its concrete, not moon rock! RJ are just generally riduculous.

I am quite drawn to the gameboy watch though. But really in the same ways I think Mickey mouse watches are cool and collectible.

Quite like the P2 to be honest and actually thought of picking one up, it does look good in pictures.

But overall the article seems to be just a bunch of strange watches thrown together for no particular rhyme or reason. I think you could easily replace the watches in the article with another 35 with the same result.

I'm with Simon on this one - otherwise we'd all be wearing quartz digitals or Mondaine railway watches.

Surely celebration of the art of watchmaking is what this hobby is all about?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th April 2013 at 00:23.

I very much doubt I'd buy any of those, but there are a few I'd wear including the minimalist analog.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    The Golden Bridge is an impressive feat - £15k in white gold though.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are some real horrors on there - but some I quite like, including the Kisai and some of the more conventional looking ones

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Surely celebration of the art of watchmaking is what this hobby is all about?
    That's exactly why this collection should be of interest, but with a wider definition of what constitutes "art".

And while most people probably don't want a concrete watch, the fact that we can make one is interesting.

Master
    Certainly some bold and interesting designs there but I would probably only wear a couple. I used to play pac-man so that watch made me smile.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    That's exactly why this collection should be of interest, but with a wider definition of what constitutes "art".

And while most people probably don't want a concrete watch, the fact that we can make one is interesting.
    The fact that anyone bothers to make a mechanical watch at all pretty much sums up the whole WIS thing. It is steeped in the most wonderful superfluousity (Is that a word?)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    They're all crap. The vast majority of them, you can't tell the time, quickly or easily. What's the point ?
    the idea is to make a statement. telling the time easily or quickly is not the objective here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I very much doubt I'd buy any of those, but there are a few I'd wear including the minimalist analog.
    Funnily enough that was the one that stood out to me as well :) Rather cool.

Am I alone in finding the Titanic watch deeply offensive? Over 1500 people died when it went down, and now there are people walking around with bits of the ship strapped to their wrists, having paid stupid sums of money for the privilege...

Simon

Quite liked a few of those.

I suspect that if those watches had certain manufacturers names on them then a lot of people would love them. There are plenty of watches on this forum that cost a fortune but are minging....all in the eye of the beholder!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Am I alone in finding the Titanic watch deeply offensive? Over 1500 people died when it went down, and now there are people walking around with bits of the ship strapped to their wrists, having paid stupid sums of money for the privilege...

Simon
    I don't find it offensive.
    But then again, I don't care for the look of it at all.

Id wear some of the ones listed there just for the hell of having a change from the standard to the surreal.
    I liked the minimalist one too.

Apprentice
    I really enjoy these zany watch collections - I thought a Zenith rainbow was outlandish at one point. Love the Kisai, beatbox and concrete watch. The Golden Bridge is an absolute marvel.

Craftsman
    There's a few that I like looking at, particularly the Urwerk, but I can't imagine wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Loddonite View Post
    There's a few that I like looking at, particularly the Urwerk, but I can't imagine wearing them.
    +1 ... The more i see the Urwerk adverts in the weekend supplements, the more I am drawn tothe brand (even though I've yet to actually see one in the wild :-)

Nice one. Some quirky and pretty cool pieces. Have bookmarked it to show some wis friends.

I'm waiting for the Romain Jerome Princess Diana watch made from bits of the Merc she was in. Limited to 36 pieces & comes in an Egyptian sycamore gift box.

Some of those pieces are butt ugly but still not as bad as the Depeche Mode Hublot that was posted the other day.