closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got a new job - woo hoo!

Congratulations on the new job Garry, that's sounds like a great opportunity.

I hope it all works out for you working a Bemont.

Congratulations on getting your dream job !!

Hi, I don't know you but very well done! I quite like the look of Bremonts. TZ discount from now on?!

Well done and hope you have a fantastic future ahead, just hope we all get Bremont news asap!!
    And

Master
    Always great to see someone doing what they truly want to do. Congrats and enjoy

Just found this thread and what a great news, i was wondering actually what job did you get after reading that you had to retrain, CONGRATS!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Congratulations Gary and all the best in your new job.

Master
    Gary that sounds brilliant - congratulations mate!
    I wish you all the luck, go for it.

Master
    And that's a Plan B? You must be properly chuffed Gary. I hope it brings all you want it to.

As noted above, I would have put money on Rocco having offered you a job. Those updates on work done really have been fascinating.

Thanks once more for all your replies chaps

Yesterday I had confirmation of a start date, the of 29th April. So for anyone who wants a properly put together Bremont, best get your orders in quick before I start

A few observations about the process of having a career change, for anyone thinking of doing something similar.

1. Life really is too short to be stuck in a job you don't like. I know it's a terrible cliché, but it is true. Having a break from my previous profession really brought home to me just how much of a chore it had become over the years. Towards the end I was only really doing it for the money, there was little to no joy left.

2. You can get by on far less money than you think. Having worked in a profession for 25 years plus I was on a good wage and thought that I needed most of it to get by. Not at all. Prudent planning, a damn good look at your outgoings, a few changes and some cutbacks go an awful long way. Yes there have been sacrifices but nothing too drastic, it does make you realise how much money's spent on things you don't really need. I guess I'm lucky though in that my outgoings are very small, well apart from my watch habit.

3. Never give up. I won't lie and say this process is easy, it's not. I've had plenty of ups and downs along the way, the majority southbound. However keep focussed, and don't let anything throw you off track. It took me about 6 months longer than I expected to get this far and along the way it would have been very easy to thing 'sod it' and give up.

4. Keep good counsel. Without the help, advice and support of my wife, friends and family this would never have happened. To all who've helped me along the way, listened to my endless watch/work related drivel and generally been a shoulder to cry on - thank you!

Obviously I realise that my new job won't be without it's pressures. There will be quotas to meet and long hours to complete them. The learning curve will sky rocket and I'll be hanging on to it's coat tails trying to keep up. I certainly won't be able to put a job to one side for an hour or so while I regain my composure, like I do at the minute. To some extent I suspect working with watches commercially, on a day to day basis, might well diminish my overall interest but I hope that's not the case.

Overall though I consider myself to be extremely fortunate and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. And for anyone looking to change career, you'll never know if it's possible or not unless you try.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 5th April 2013 at 13:03.

Well done! My grandad used to say that its not working if you love your job - so I hope you still love watches in a few years time.

Craftsman
    Fantastic!

Honestly, the thread title caught my eye a few times, but I didn't click on it because I thought "well, really who cares if a stranger got a job?". But eventually, the fact that it was posted on the Watch Talk forum meant that my curiosity eventually got the better of me, which is a good thing. Congratulations, I'm a wee bit jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    as I was becoming increasingly disillusioned with my previous profession (art director/designer).
    Me too, leaving my designer/director job of 13 yrs to go freelance at the end of the month...

Contrats! I guess things happen for a reason, great story!

Master
    Best thread ever..........well done.

A happy ending; really pleased for you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Congratulations.

Nice to hear some good news for a change.

Mitch

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said .

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Congratulations fella, what a great story for a Friday afternoon.

Congrats! I'm happy for you.

gr. Glenn

Well done and congratulations!

Master
    Wonderful news Gary, congratulations!

My BC-F1 will be in good hands.

Dave

Master

Congratulations ...

Well done Gary ,

This is a great story . Hope you really enjoy working at Bremont .

All the best,

Vic

What a great story and a fantastic outcome. Firm handshake and a pat on the back, well done to you sir.

Well done, Gary. Great news and the points above are really inspirational. I must get down to Bristol to pick up the MQ and buy you a beer.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

That really is great news Gary, really happy for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Thanks once more for all your replies chaps

Yesterday I had confirmation of a start date, the of 29th April. So for anyone who wants a properly put together Bremont, best get your orders in quick before I start

A few observations about the process of having a career change, for anyone thinking of doing something similar.

1. Life really is too short to be stuck in a job you don't like. I know it's a terrible cliché, but it is true. Having a break from my previous profession really brought home to me just how much of a chore it had become over the years. Towards the end I was only really doing it for the money, there was little to no joy left.

2. You can get by on far less money than you think. Having worked in a profession for 25 years plus I was on a good wage and thought that I needed most of it to get by. Not at all. Prudent planning, a damn good look at your outgoings, a few changes and some cutbacks go an awful long way. Yes there have been sacrifices but nothing too drastic, it does make you realise how much money's spent on things you don't really need. I guess I'm lucky though in that my outgoings are very small, well apart from my watch habit.

3. Never give up. I won't lie and say this process is easy, it's not. I've had plenty of ups and downs along the way, the majority southbound. However keep focussed, and don't let anything throw you off track. It took me about 6 months longer than I expected to get this far and along the way it would have been very easy to thing 'sod it' and give up.

4. Keep good counsel. Without the help, advice and support of my wife, friends and family this would never have happened. To all who've helped me along the way, listened to my endless watch/work related drivel and generally been a shoulder to cry on - thank you!

Obviously I realise that my new job won't be without it's pressures. There will be quotas to meet and long hours to complete them. The learning curve will sky rocket and I'll be hanging on to it's coat tails trying to keep up. I certainly won't be able to put a job to one side for an hour or so while I regain my composure, like I do at the minute. To some extent I suspect working with watches commercially, on a day to day basis, might well diminish my overall interest but I hope that's not the case.

Overall though I consider myself to be extremely fortunate and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. And for anyone looking to change career, you'll never know if it's possible or not unless you try.

Cheers,
    Gary

Some very good advice there Gary, sorry I mean Garston

look forward to updates on your progress and once again WELL DONE.