closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Compact camera recommendations please

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Compact camera recommendations please

Gents, I am looking for a small camera to put in my pocket or bike tank bag when I am out and about, would like it to have zoom, idiot proof user friendly and be able to use it for minor macro work for my watches, does anyone have some recommendations for me???RegardsMike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im interested in this too, Off to singapore in a few weeks and want a new gadget.

Mike, I have an oldish Sony Cybershot, with case, all the bits and the charger. It's 5.1MP and 3x optical zoom, and is completely flat with a sliding lens cover.

If that's what you're after you can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Gents, I am looking for a small camera to put in my pocket or bike tank bag when I am out and about, would like it to have zoom, idiot proof user friendly and be able to use it for minor macro work for my watches, does anyone have some recommendations for me???RegardsMike
    I got a TZ30 recently. Good Camera and makes viewing the photos more interesting with when GPS tagged.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Mike, I have an oldish Sony Cybershot, with case, all the bits and the charger. It's 5.1MP and 3x optical zoom, and is completely flat with a sliding lens cover.If that's what you're after you can have it.
    Hi tonyThanks very much for your offer, but I have an old (p12?) cybershot that's being retired to a work camera and would like to get a hipper new , flatter sleeker toy to replace it!!!!Thanks againMike

I bought this Canon Ixus Small enough for a shirt pocket though I bought Canon's own case which adds bulk. It's a sharp snapper that will do what you want but I wouldn't want to enlarge its prints to A2 or the like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Mike, from what you've said there is one outstanding candidate and that's the Sony RX100.

Review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...hot-dsc-rx100/

The camera is small, thin and has exceptional image quality from a very good sensor combined with a sharp and light Carl Zeiss lens. If I was looking for this kind of camera I think that would be the one I'd get.
    Yep, if you can afford it the RX100 is great with its 1" sensor. Amazing quality for the size of camera.

RX-100 from me too.

Mike, have you thought about a GoPro for the bike trips (and keep the CyberShot for the watch macro's)?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That sony RX100 looks the nuts, any travel buffs know if there is a still a big saving on electronics in singapore?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    That sony RX100 looks the nuts, any travel buffs know if there is a still a big saving on electronics in singapore?
    Not really IME, especially with the SGD being quite strong against the £.

Blog Entries
    Interesting post! I b*ggered my Linux last week (broke the lid of the battery/SD card holder...), so I'm on the hunt for a new camera. Luckily, I'm having my birthday next month!

Menno

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    RX-100 from me too.Mike, have you thought about a GoPro for the bike trips (and keep the CyberShot for the watch macro's)?R
    Don't want one mate!, just happy to take a few snaps along the way, at moment usually end up relying on toshi and his camera so want to DIY as well.Oh, I bought a new 1200 triple black before I left!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your input gents, I should be travelling back through singers and Dubai so shall see what bargains I can find!!!Mike

Thanks for all your input gents, I should be travelling back through singers and Dubai so shall see what bargains I can find!!!Mike
    Don't know what your budget's like but I bought this a few weeks back for the impending arrival of our first little one. It's been brilliant so far:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pan...-lumix-dmc-lx7

If you can live with a bit larger than "pocket sized" and like classical styling I would consider the new Fuji X20

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I bought this Canon Ixus Small enough for a shirt pocket though I bought Canon's own case which adds bulk. It's a sharp snapper that will do what you want but I wouldn't want to enlarge its prints to A2 or the like.
    Another vote here for the Ixus 230HS. I love mine.

I looked long and hard before buying and decided this was the perfect compromise between size, price and performance. I haven't been disappointed. If you go and have a look at one you'll be surprised at how small and light it is.
    £150 at Currys.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/canon-i...34037-pdt.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't want one mate!, just happy to take a few snaps along the way, at moment usually end up relying on toshi and his camera so want to DIY as well.Oh, I bought a new 1200 triple black before I left!!

Let me know how you get on, will be in singapore in about three weeks so will be interested to know what you pick up.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu.../dp/B0031MA0ZE

absolute cracker even i can't mess up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prices from Changi airport, all tax free from sprint-cass.

Sony RX-100 (with 16gb card) $933.64 (£490)

Canon S110 ( with 8 gb card and case) $513 (269)

They are cheaper in the UK so I am going to pick one up over here.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to update the thread, I picked up a Panasonic DMC-XS1 on toshi's recommendation, what a fantastic little camera it is!!!!!!

Thanks all for your input

Cheers

Mike

another vote for the canon ixus, mine has worked well so far, it would work better if it had a better operator.