closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small 4x4 opinions

Small 4x4 opinions

So the wife finally agreed that we need a second car but unfortunately not the 2 seater I was hoping for.

So it looks like we'll be getting a smallish 4x4 to go with the A6 quattro. Main reason is the higher ride height for getting kids in and out with a bad back.

Current thinking is a VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi but thoughts welcome.

Fiat Panda 4X4
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I found the Tiguan cramped in the cabin and felt very similar to my old Golf. I would look at an X-Trail with the kids as it is reasonably spacious in back and dont think it is much bigger than the Tiguan?

Blog Entries
    Depends on budget and what size ?

Jeep Compass 4X4 version offers a lot of car for the money with the Merc 2.2CDI engine -(abt 25k new now at 18-19k !) good deals are out there...)

Skoda Yeti, looks nice and 'chunky' EVO & Autocar loved it, and with winter tyres was very impressive indeed (as it also was on a track day !)
    Skoda Octavia 4X4 has also impressed the motoring world

good luck !!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Grand Cherokee/XC90: too big
    Panda 4x4: too small!
    Octavia: doesn't have the higher ride and I already have an A6 quattro.
    Compass: possibly, although not completely to my tastes
    Yeti: definitely an option.

Blog Entries
    Honda CRV?

OK, it's not a "proper" 4X4 but similar to the Yeti etc. and one of the easiest cars to get in/out. IIRC the 2007 onwards model was voted as one of the most comfortable cars, period.

We had a Freelander2 HSE which was a great solid car but I got fed up feeding it fuel and the road tax was also a little OTT. Swapped it for a Merc B Class but missed the ride height and we live in the country and liked the 4x4 come winter so swapped the Merc for a Honda CRV 2.2 CDTi.

The Honda doesn't have the quality finish of the LR but it is a very good car in its own right imo. It has plenty of toys such as adaptive cruise control, heated leather, sat nav, xenons, electric sets, pan roof etc etc. we bought a ltd ed with side steps and dark 19 inch alloys and again imo it looks great and has had a few nice comments. Ours is a 57 plate and had 36k miles with FSH and I think we paid 12k.

Let me know if you would like some pics.

Oh and when it came it was great in the snow too.

Tom

Freelander was the other main option considered but I've seen mixed reviews on cost and reliability. CRV is one to add to the possibles list.

Master
    Her indoors has a CRV, I have an XC60, both have been great and I would highly recommend either.

We've got the previous generation (2006) Honda CRV 2.2 CDTi and would highly recommended it. Not too many frills but very reliable and good MPG.

Master
    I like the look of the Kia Sportage and believe it comes with a 5 year warranty too.

Blog Entries
    The Mazda CX 5 gets good reviews - and the emissions and economy look very good for such a car too.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    So the wife finally agreed that we need a second car but unfortunately not the 2 seater I was hoping for.

So it looks like we'll be getting a smallish 4x4 to go with the A6 quattro. Main reason is the higher ride height for getting kids in and out with a bad back.

My wife runs one and I can't get her out of it, she loves it. I find it bigger than the golf, especially in the rear. It's actually a good drive aswell.

Daughter has a Jeep Patriot which is slightly smaller inside and cheaply finished but since it's always covered in mud that doesn't seem to matter.

Journeyman
    Rav4? Can't remember in the UK, but her (Australia) they do a 2 or 4 door. Wife's company uses them as rep's cars.

Do you want 4x4 ie 4 wheel drive or just the look and height? A lot of what people think are 4x4 are actually 2 wheel drive or only 4wheel drive up to a certain speed e.g. 15 or 20 mph. Might be worth double checking specs so you are not disappointed.

Craftsman
    Subaru Outback looks like a good and reliable choice for me...

Master
    I was looking for the same thing and I ended up buying a Yeti. Much more reliable than a Freelander and much better to drive than the latest model Forester.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I like the look of the Kia Sportage and believe it comes with a 5 year warranty too.
    7 years.

Are you buying new? A Kia Sportage would be my choice, it's a fantastic car. Great either new, or even a couple of years old with 5 years warranty left.
    Last edited by mikiejack; 2nd April 2013 at 13:11.

Would probably buy 2-3yr old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I think Kia and Hyundai are 'sisters' and come with 7 years warranty

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

OK, it's not a "proper" 4X4
    Just about none mentioned here are.

For an awd road vehicle Subaru is the brand.

For a practical compact awd runabout the Golf and Yeti are strong competiters.

Hi,
    I drive an older (2004!) CRV and am absolutely content with all features.
    It is frontwheel-drive in normal conditions but when needed it switches lightning-fast to 4WD.
    I have experienced this myself and it really works a charm. This feature saves you gas and wear when compared with fulltime 4WD. And the CRV is about the best in a lot of reliability-testing...
    Good luck in choosing a car,
    Regards,
    Marc

Master
    Less expensive option would be a Honda CRV ,not very exciting but solid and reliable.My 2004 was going well with over 100'000 miles until somebody hit black ice and crashed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbs View Post
    Rav4? Can't remember in the UK, but her (Australia) they do a 2 or 4 door. Wife's company uses them as rep's cars.
    The last 2 gen of the RAV4 come only as 4 door (at least gen 3, the gen 4 probably too)

I drive one and it's great for a everyday AWD. Uses very little petrol for almost a 2 ton vehicle and it's really reliable. I've done over 100.000 in under 2 years and still drives like brand new.

Only down side is as not as ergonomic as other vehicles up in the class and driving pleasure is not comparable to other premium brands, but it is very comfortable on the motorway and handles great on snow.

Craftsman
    +1 for Subaru the only small 4x4 worth considering IMO.

Ride height is the main consideration. I'm not off roading so a bit of stability in the snow would be the main traction benefit.

Ride height is the main consideration. I'm not off roading so a bit of stability in the snow would be the main traction benefit.
    I repeat....CRV :)

Quote Originally Posted by majstro View Post

Hearing you loud and clear...

My old '53 plate CR-V was great. Quality build and cabin. Loved it and missed it when it had to go. The replacement model was bigger and wouldn't go down the drive next to the house. The kick-in of the rear wheels when needed was noticeable and very helpful on the occasions it was needed. Brakes were its weak point. Okay to start with but fade happened very quickly. It was quite a shock when I replaced the CR-V with a C-Max (I seem to have a thing for hyphens) and it had excellent brakes that stopped the car on a sixpence.

What Car's choice for the last 2 years has been the BMW X3, it'd be that or a Volvo XC60 if it was my money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    What Car's choice for the last 2 years has been the BMW X3, it'd be that or a Volvo XC60 if it was my money.

Fresh thorough road (and on snowy roads ' to get to your chalet' ) tests in Norway compared the 3 'premier' 'smaller' SUVs.
    The first choice was split between the X3 (for the 'sporty' driver) and the Merc GLK (for the 'comfort' driver- not available in UK)
    and lastly the Audi Q5.
    So the choice is yours, the latest X3 has been around for a while so probably mid 30's for a low mileage pre-loved version.
    As said, depends on budget.

Hi,
    I drive an older (2004!) CRV and am absolutely content with all features.
    It is frontwheel-drive in normal conditions but when needed it switches lightning-fast to 4WD.
    I have experienced this myself and it really works a charm. This feature saves you gas and wear when compared with fulltime 4WD. And the CRV is about the best in a lot of reliability-testing...
    Good luck in choosing a car,
    Regards,
    Marc
    I must have the same model (mine is 2006) and what I find missing is a 4WD indicator. I'm never sure if 4WD has ever engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Fresh thorough road (and on snowy roads ' to get to your chalet' ) tests in Norway compared the 3 'premier' 'smaller' SUVs.
    The first choice was split between the X3 (for the 'sporty' driver) and the Merc GLK (for the 'comfort' driver- not available in UK)
    and lastly the Audi Q5.
    So the choice is yours, the latest X3 has been around for a while so probably mid 30's for a low mileage pre-loved version.
    As said, depends on budget.
    GLK: ugly as sin...
    X3: maybe
    Q5: very nice

Honestly, I'd prefer something cheaper as a second car, hence the Tiguan rather than the Q5.

X1??

Small and does the job as far as I am concerned.

Let the wrath rain down.

The new Kia sportage is excellent in every way. It really is - leave your preconceptions and try one out. Then reconcile the sensible purchase and service costs with phenomenal economy, cheap tax, 7 year warranty and on the new one, decent residuals.

The motoring press agree. Plus it looks funky (Peter Schreyer design) and materials are great. I'd be in one right now if I had the spare cash.

PS Hyundai only offer 5 year warranty. Kia are the only ones offering a genuine 7 years (and if you buy a used approved from them they top it back up to the full 7 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Munich View Post
    X1??

Let the wrath rain down.
    Have you been inside one? The plastic feels really cheap.

I've been down this road and had two smaller 4x4 (Suzuki X90 and Subaru Impreza Sportwagon) and they both did the job. However, they can't compare to my recently acquired ML. If you're looking for a second car and size isn't an issue but you want something cheap, I'd suggest the ML270 CDI; fully loaded, high riding position and plenty of room. The 270 isn't the most popular engine but I had a C270 and there's nothing wrong with it. You can get a good ML270 CDI for under £5,000 and that's a LOT of car for the money.

The best bargains are to be had on the ML55 AMG if you don't do a lot of miles.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've been down this road and had two smaller 4x4 (Suzuki X90 and Subaru Impreza Sportwagon) and they both did the job. However, they can't compare to my recently acquired ML. If you're looking for a second car and size isn't an issue but you want something cheap, I'd suggest the ML270 CDI; fully loaded, high riding position and plenty of room. The 270 isn't the most popular engine but I had a C270 and there's nothing wrong with it. You can get a good ML270 CDI for under £5,000 and that's a LOT of car for the money.

The best bargains are to be had on the ML55 AMG if you don't do a lot of miles.

Eddie
    I almost stopped reading your advice when I saw X90 (what were you thinking?!) but going for an older model is a decent shout. Had planned to get a 2-3yr old, more economical model, but would be tempted by an AMG :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Munich View Post
    X1??

Let the wrath rain down.
    Forgot that one ...

In fact the X1 was the only 'smaller' 4x4 that achieved 6 out of 6 in another Norwegian winter test
    Brother in law has one he enjoys every second driving it.
    2.0D Sport in X-drive version

Master

Kia Sportage

Have to say as per a couple of other members thus far that having had a look myself at a few "smaller" 4*4's I was very impressed with the Kia Sportage! My heart says XC60 as I currently drive a V70 which has been superb thus far but after looking at the sportage you get a hell of a lot of car for the money and the Tax banding is very low on all the models + the mpg returns are very good as well.

Spec wise the KX2, KX3 & KX4 all have plenty of kit, the KX4 is top of the range and has everything on it that most people would consider as luxuries but even the entry level KX1 has voice activated bluetooth as standard, the KX2 has a panoramic sunroof, half leather seats, reversing sensors, heated seats, blue tooth......... the list goes on.

Seriously considering one for the wife especially given that our winters seem to be getting worse and we have had heavy snow where we live for the past 5 years running which is nice to look at but a pain when you need to get about.

I was one of the people who probably dismissed Hyundai / Kia on the basis they weren't a premium brand but can honestly say they have made huge steps forward in quality, design, materials, spec etc

Residuals might well surprise you as well. The Hyundai iX35 has been on the market longer than the new sportage and is holding its money well! They certainly aren't giving them away once they are a couple of years old put it that way! Also check out owner reviews and magazine reviews, they all seem to rave about them.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    My old '53 plate CR-V was great. Quality build and cabin. Loved it and missed it when it had to go. The replacement model was bigger and wouldn't go down the drive next to the house. The kick-in of the rear wheels when needed was noticeable and very helpful on the occasions it was needed. Brakes were its weak point. Okay to start with but fade happened very quickly. It was quite a shock when I replaced the CR-V with a C-Max (I seem to have a thing for hyphens) and it had excellent brakes that stopped the car on a sixpence.
    Another vote for CRV mine is a 2005 2.0 petrol, very reliable

I promised the OP I would post some pic's of my CRV which I have been very pleased with so far, as the sun was out this morning it seemed like an ideal time to take some quick snaps.

I am really pleased with the level of equipment it has;
    Bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, xenons, electric and heated seats, armrests, reversing camera, sat nav, upgraded stereo plus loads more.

It is pretty good on fuel and was great in the snow. I live in the middle of the countryside at the moment and these are a very popular choice.

Tom

After 4 LR Discos in the last 15 years I decided to come down a size. Bought a Tiguan 2.0L last year and it has been good as gold. A good drive, light, good fuel consumption. Space inside is not a problem as the pax and rear seats rarely get used. Gadgets are a bit spartan but it's a sound car.

I looked at the mid-range 4x4s and nothing jumped out at me so I settled on the Tiguan as a 'try out'. May go to the Toureg or an ML Merc this year but I miss the Disco. I only do 5-6k miles a year so it lived on winter tyres all year round. Great in the winter, good all year round.

Craftsman
    as small 4x4 the obvious choice is Suzuki Grand Vitara - the only car with a built-in ladder frame and with manual locking hubs.

If you are looking for SUV with 4x4 potential - Nissan X-trail is worth consideration.

As there's a few CR-V owners here, wondered if anyone had ever used their picnic table? Forms the base of the load area on 2002-2006 models.

Seemed a good idea but never got around to using ours. Also hides a useful wheel sized storage space!

No. Forgot it was there. I don't picnic, anyway, as it were.

Love the picnic table!

There was also the option of a little shower type thing too i think??

911 turbo.
    Best small 4x4 money can buy.

Craftsman
    Nobody has mentioned this yet, but it's a direct competitor of the Tiguan. The Ford Kuga.

I had one for 2.5 yrs and was the least depreciation on any car I have owned, which really surprised me vs the audis, bmws and other supposedly better marks. Mate bought Tiguan at same time and has now changed to a Kuga too. Being a badge snob it beguiles him to admit the Kuga is better!

Q3

I cannot get my wife out of ours

Seeing you have an A6 you will love the quality, we drove all of the possible rivals, but nothing felt as nice to be in and 5 months later wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending one

My car no longer gets a look in