closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refinishing and refurbishment work - recommendation Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Without knowing the skills of both parties it is easy to jump to conclusions.

Luke is obviously well skilled in aspects of watch-making, as I can see by his blog. Paul has done some fine work, which I have seen from posts.

For me, I have no real need for a watchmaker for 99.99% of the time. What I need is someone who is skilled at servicing and refurbing watches - this just so happens to be the same person for a lot of the time.

I'd have no hesitation in sending either of the above one of my Omegas for a service, and I have no need of a WR rating of more than 50m - so 6 bar is all good with me. As long as it is always clear that I may not be using branded replacement parts - or a part has had to made specifically by the watchmaker for me - then all is good. At the end of the day, all we want is for our watches to look good and perform as they should - simples.

Another distinction to bear in mind is that there are good and bad individuals in every profession - I have come across incompetence at every level over the years, from Doctors, Dentist, to watch salesmen ;) it really doesn't matter how qualified, or how many qualifications someone has, or even how experienced they are - if they are not proficient and professional in what they do.
    +1 I work with a number of highly qualified (not in horology) but stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez View Post
    Wasn't just me then...

60M WR test on a 2000M rated watch?!
    The questioning of my intelligence levels is also rather laughable but there you go
    I've read and re-read this thread and I can't see where anybody has questioned your intelligence?

As an aside, 6bar isn't 60m water resistance it's only 50m.

I stated that I wasn't going to comment any further but I'm breaking my rule as its turned into a bit of a train wreck on here. I stated my opinion which was perfectly valid and at no point did I question Paul's skills. I just stated if you don't have the equipment/skill to repair something to its original specification then you shouldn't touch it. Maybe I should have said delete as applicable in terms of equipment/skill. As in this case I meant the lack of equipment to test to 2000m.

What followed was an attack on my education and the perceived easy ride that I have been given. No one knows what tools I have been given or purchased as I don't talk about it. But for clarification I have also spent ŁK's on equipment out of my own savings because I see it as investment in my future. With regards to training, I don't wish to sound like I'm having a dig at anyone in particular here but a few days training at the BHI doesn't mean someone is of a good enough standard to pass WOSTEP. Likewise I don't believe these BHI courses give you any form of BHI qualification but I could be wrong... That doesn't mean someone can't do the job and if you read my posts, I never stated that.

Anyway I'm going to leave it here, I'm only adding to this thread to clarify a few things because I feel as though some of the posts that have followed my last one have been directed at me and its important to me to explain myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I've read and re-read this thread and I can't see where anybody has questioned your intelligence?

As an aside, 6bar isn't 60m water resistance it's only 50m.

See this comment- Obviously the WOSTEP course, besides providing top level tuition and equipment, also includes a dose of brain-washing.

Clearly someone with any kind of intelligence isn't going to be brain washed. Anyway once again that is my opinion. And just in case you think I'm singling you out, I'm only commenting as you were the last to post above me and I'm not going to respond to every single post directed at me.

As far as I was aware 1 BAR is 10 metres but clearly I'm wrong on that.
    Last edited by RaulGonzalez; 2nd April 2013 at 15:29.

I didn't read that comment as questioning your intelligence, more of a dig at your attitude.

You're correct about 1bar equating to (approximately) 10m depth, but incorrect in thinking that 6bar equals 60m depth. As the atmosphere is already 1bar that has to taken away from the depth rating your testing. 6bar test = 5bar depth + 1bar atmospheric pressure.

As far as I was aware 1 BAR is 10 metres but clearly I'm wrong on that.
    I doubt that in your field they taught physics, or basic gas mechanics, or basic dive training, but as Cannop pointed out, 6 bars counts only for the pressure of 50 meters of water PLUS the pressure exerted by the atmosphere above (equal to 1 bar)...

(Sorry Cannop, I replied at the same time as you)
    Last edited by carvass; 2nd April 2013 at 18:24.

That is the main problem with the Internet, comments can be taken in a different context to what was originally intended and without clarifying the context of every sentence inevitably things are taken the wrong way. I think my previous posts, dealings with fellow members and my progress on the course tell everyone enough about my attitude.

Thanks for the clarification, I will do some reading up on water resistance as its something we haven't really focused on although I do believe I have some notes on it some where. My previous knowledge of it came from my time in retail watch sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I didn't read that comment as questioning your intelligence, more of a dig at your attitude.

You're correct about 1bar equating to (approximately) 10m depth, but incorrect in thinking that 6bar equals 60m depth. As the atmosphere is already 1bar that has to taken away from the depth rating your testing. 6bar test = 5bar depth + 1bar atmospheric pressure.

Grand Master
    Not trying to be pedantic but........

Strictly speaking, when we talk about testing watches to to a pressure of 6bar, we really mean 6 barg, which is 6 bar gauge. That's 6 bar above atmospheric pressure. Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar absolute, or 0 bar gauge.

The inside of the watch is at the same pressure as the atmosphere before we start testing. It goes in the machine and is subjected to a pressure of 6 bar gauge, which is 7 bar absolute.

Hopefully this won`t fan the flames of a fire which really ought to be allowed to die!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by carvass View Post
    I doubt that in your field they taught physics, or basic gas mechanics, or basic dive training, but as Cannop pointed out, 60 bars counts only for the pressure of 50 meters of water PLUS the pressure exerted by the atmosphere above (equal to 1 bar)...

(Sorry Cannop, I replied at the same time as you)
    60 bars? Now we're talking... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    60 bars? Now we're talking... ;)
    Well spotted, thank you! Post edited...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quality job, totally transforms the watch

Craftsman
    "Arguing on the Internet is for assholes" -Abraham Lincoln

Back on topic

Great work on Mike's Steelfish, Paul too has done some work for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to others.

If I remember correctly, Paul tested my watch to 6 Bar, he explained why and that was more than acceptable for me!

Craftsman
    That looks great Paul! I've been on a bit on a self-imposed exile from watch forums for quite a while now, so missed any chat of you doing BHI stuff, but it's good to know you've come so far. :)

Craftsman

Looks like a great job, even more as you don't have the "so called"

professional equipment...My best ever experience from a refurbishment on a Breitling Bentley watch was from Breitling. Came back new..Worst experience on a Panerai watch wich looked exactly the same when it came back..I was charged for refurbishment though. A certified rolex watchmaker refinished it for me taking of too much of the lugs..so another job NOT well done...
    There is such a thing like being good at stuff without being prepped via the official chanels.
    Anyways...Again fantastic job!! Very impressive...

Grand Master
    Now't wrong wi Paul's work.

Knowledgeable guy too.

Craftsman
    Mine has just gone away for Breitling for repair, hope it comes back as tidy as this one.

baz