closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Watch Dilemma - Keep or Sell my Rolex GMT IIc

Master

My Watch Dilemma - Keep or Sell my Rolex GMT IIc

Hi all,

I have been buying and dabbling with watches since i bought my first "proper" watch in 2005 - a Breitling Chrono SuperOcean.

It was a watch that i absolutely adored - to me it really had a soul and i just loved it. I was a "one watch man".

However, in 2010 I bought a Rolex GMT IIc and gave the Breitling to my dad (he still has it as his daily wearer).

To be honest, i bought the Rolex more because i wanted the brand than because i truly loved the watch. I do very much like the GMT, but i dont "love it". It just doesnt have any "soul".

Since owning the GMT i have bought and sold a few others - mainly Breitlings- something i never did before, and although the GMT remained my daily wearer, i think i was experimenting with other watches because deep down i knew the Rolex was boring me.

So, now i am thinking about letting the GMT go and getting something else as my permanent watch - probably a breitling!

But i am reticent because;

1) i am acutely aware of the rising cost of new Rolex, and if i regretted the sale, it would cost me ££ more to buy another Rolex
    2) would i regret it? I have a horrible feeling that despite my passion for the GMT, i do get a lot of joy from the other aspects of Rolex ownership, including reliability etc.

Clearly i am confused! Can anyone offer any clarity?

I fully understand your dilema. I have bought and then subsequently sold several watches just because they, as you put your finger on it, "have no soul". So I think you should sell the GMT and get something that you really love and that looks and feels right on your wrist. I can't and won't keep anything that I no longer enjoy wearing and I'm sure that most people here would agree. Unless it's a really old, priceless or irreplaceable watch that is going to spend most of its life in storage, and then make you a fortune (unlikely with a GMTii) then let it go and wear something that makes you smile.

Master
    Might be one step closer to selling - just agreed a deal on a Chrono-Matic!

I ve owned a gmtIIc. And sold it and brought a older gmt Pepsi instead. The c seemed to lack something that the older models have in abundance...

Master
    Surely I can't be alone in buying into Rolex for the wrong reasons maybe... There's too many flippers here to convince me otherwise!

Get a watch that you really like rather than a brand you feel you should own, if that's Breitling then go for it....

I had a GMT 2c and wore it every day but then found this place and vintage watches and found it very easy to sell it on (I did need the cash but having seen all that SC had to offer I would probably have sold it anyway). I recently realised I needed a new watch I could wear a lot, take on holiday and not have to worry about getting wet, that sort of thing, and that I missed the GMT. I thought about another GMT 2c but it's now about £2k more than I paid for mine new, and I just can't get my head round that, so I bought an Explorer 2 42mm instead. I wish I hadn't sold the GMT but I'm happy with its replacement.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I recently realised I needed a new watch I could wear a lot, take on holiday and not have to worry about getting wet, that sort of thing, and that I missed the GMT. I thought about another GMT 2c but it's now about £2k more than I paid for mine new, and I just can't get my head round that
    Exactly my worry! But maybe now I'm holding into it for the wrong reasons!

I think you raise some interesting points about the psychology of watch ownership (or any similar purchase for that matter) - a watch really has to "sing to you" for you to really treasure it. It's difficult though not to get caught up in both the marketing, and the general perception (particularly on internet forums) of a particular brand/watch, but just because something is a "classic", it doesn't mean you're going to be 100% happy with it. It is certainly harder to go against the grain, and I think that it's probably easier for people who don't frequent brand-neutral sites, as ironically you will to some extent be influenced by the overall group preferences for certain brands!

Master
    I bought a new GMTc about 6 months ago and it was my first Rolex after being a lifelong Omega fan, no doubt about it the watch is beautiful but just didnt do it for me, I kept the watch but bought a Seadweller and the difference is unbelievable, absolutely loveit and the GMT lives in the box. I think its a question of buying the RIGHT Rolex!

Master
    Well, I am about 90% certain I will be selling up my collection (currently "only" the GMT IIc, Aerospace and a Tag ana-digi amongst various other £100-200 pieces) and downsizing to a Breitling (or two) that really sing to me and I will love wearing... Breitling No.1 is already on the way.

Craftsman
    Legs be clear on this, your not exactly going to be able to sell this for a mint in the future so I wouldn't let the raising prices influence you.

This watch clearly isn't the right one for you so why keep it?

Just my opinion of course :)

Blog Entries
    My friend, all you need to do is change strap...

What do you think?

For me, Rolex says prestige, heritage, design and I enjoy wearing it for those reasons. If you agree, then you should keep it against the Breitling.
    Last edited by hugo2703; 31st March 2013 at 19:37.