closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone use MS excel with win 7?

Anyone use MS excel with win 7?

Ive bought another pc running win 7. I used to use ms XP which worked fine. Now its running in compatibility mode and I can barely use it. I dont seem to be able to alter it so looks like a speadsheet anymore. Any ideas folks?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Ive bought another pc running win 7. I used to use ms XP which worked fine. Now its running in compatibility mode and I can barely use it. I dont seem to be able to alter it so looks like a speadsheet anymore. Any ideas folks?

I have MS Office Excel 2003 running on Windows 7 64bit, works fine. Which version of Excel do you have?

Microsoft did some stupid "optimization" in re-arranging menus that you have to adapt again, pretty (un)user-friendly on their part.

I'm runing MS Office 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit. One thing I've noticed is that opening spread sheets from e-mails put them into a read only mode. All old (.xls) files get opened in compatibility mode but that does not seem to be a problem. You can save them as (.xls) when you finish as well.

As has been asked - what version of Excel are you running.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Have you actually installed MS Office on the new machine or are you opening the Excel spreadsheet is MS Works? You need to help people who will help you by giving some detail.

Craftsman
    He is obviously using Excel 2007/2010, which has the ribbons and not menus/toolbars. He is opening up .xls files which will open in compatibility mode.

Sestrel, just get used to it. It is only Excel looking different. A spreadsheet is a spreadsheet.

^what he said

I hated 2007 at first but now I'm used to it, it's a fantastic bit of kit!

Quote Originally Posted by lilolee View Post
    He is obviously using Excel 2007/2010, which has the ribbons and not menus/toolbars. He is opening up .xls files which will open in compatibility mode.

Sestrel, just get used to it. It is only Excel looking different. A spreadsheet is a spreadsheet.
    #

Thats easy for you to say, but I cant see the whole spreadsheet, alter the text size, or basically, use it to do my accounts properly any more. if you run your own business, thats tiny bit important.

( its excel 2007 from office home and student 2007)

Save a copy of your spread sheet as '.xlsx' and open this copy. Does it now appear ok?

As an aside if you don't like the Ribbon, or at least want the option to switch back to the older menu style, then go to the link below and install the small utility which puts another tab across the top named 'Menu,' this will give you back the old menu style.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but there should be a small horizontal slider at the bottom right hand corner of the excel page. This controls the 'zoom' level. You'll find the same slider in Word.

Craftsman
    Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel also changes zoom.

Why not stump up some money and do a training course. Bet it's even tax deductible. Where do you live?

Blog Entries
    Using 7 on a desktop and running office 2010 pro without any probs.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    It's probably just the new GUI causing confusion. It is strange, and I'm not convinced the change was entirely for the better, but once you are used to it it's OK.

Blog Entries
    If you really can't get used to the new UI, try Open Office or Libre Office. Both free, both use the conventional Office 2003-style menus, both fully compatible with Microsoft Office.

I'd love to sell MS Office licences to my customers but they all want Open/Libre Office for free now. It does everything that the vast majority of users need and without the silly (in most people's opinions in my experience) new ribbon UI.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st March 2013 at 20:40.

Thanks for the tip Mark