closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wedding watch - advice please!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Wedding watch - advice please!

Hi guys,

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I'm looking to buy a watch as a wedding gift to myself for my wedding in Italy in July.

I'm 29, and usually wear quite large watches (PAM 372, DSSD, Breitling GMT) but I'm looking for an elegant dress watch that is timeless and I can still wear happily 40 years from now.

The watches I am considering are Datejust ii (cant decide on the colour ways though) or an IWC Portugese

Can anyone throw a spanner in the works to turn my head?

Budget is about £5-7k but could stretch to £10k if need be

many thanks!

Date-Just II

In order of preference:
    Black dial
    White dial
    Silver dial

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I'd prefer the much cheaper smooth bezel version too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Aren't you selling a 1.38ct round brilliant Diamond engagement ring on SC at the moment ?

Seems weird ;-) unless you're getting married to a fella ? ;-)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I am indeed, well spotted :)

Its my best mates ring, not mine; I know your strictly not allowed to sell things for other people, but my best mates mrs left him a coupe of months ago and he's struggling with bills and mortgage etc so trying to help him out....

Hope that's ok with the mods as a one off!

Craftsman
    Firstly, congratulations.

I would probably go for the IWC Portuguese out of those two. Have you considered the Rolex Explorer (36 or 39mm version)? I think it is the perfect cross-over watch and considering getting one for myself as an engagement present (when the time comes ;) ).

Master
    Maybe a bit left-field in view of your current collection, but if you really want a piece that will be classy and still original throughout 40 years of ownership why not try something like this: http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/en/w...rich/blaugold/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Kirk is selling a lovely Dornbluth on SC at the minute. If you wanted new I think they are around the 3K mark.
    Lovely watches

Photo pinched from web

Blog Entries
    Having been in this situation this time last year and also having owned both watches you are considering i'll add my 2 pennenth to the mix. Firstly, congrats and a fantastic way to celebrate a special occasion and something that will hopefully hold sentimental value for the rest of your life.

With regard to what i went for, i ended up going for a Datejust II as i wanted something sporty but dressy at the same time and the Datejust II fit the bill exactly. It really is a great watch and the sparkle from the white gold bezel is something to behold. I have relatively small wrists but the 41mm size is perfect for me and due to the low profile it wears extremely comfortably. This watch also gets alot of attention when spotted and in fact 2 colleagues at work have subsequently purchased similar watches. The next factor is dials, which the Datejust II now comes in a fairly large variety. I went for the Rhodium dial with arabic numbers as it was somewhat 'different' from the norm but appealed to me more. The other one i would go for would be the blue dial which is stunning in the metal and Rolex really nail it when it comes to the shade of blue used in their dials. Looking back if i was to repeat the process would i have changed my mind and gone for something else....in a word, NO. Absolutely no regrets and the Datejust II has totally lived up to me expectations and when i wear it it still feels as special today as the day i first wore it when i was standing at the altar last September.

Some pics of mine:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ding-Day-Watch

The IWC (5001) is a stunning watch, and in fact the styling and simplicity in the dial is about as perfect as they come (IMO). However if you haven't tried one i would make sure you do so before purchasing as the size may not suit everyone. The size of the case isn't too big per se, considering its 42mm but the thickness left me with alot of problems mainly due to not being able to fit under a shirt cuff. On that basis, i had to let mine go. The chrono version (3717) is smaller and may be more suitable but it's worth looking at both.

Pic of the one i owned until recently:

All in all a great position to be in and i hope you manage to find what you are looking for.

A 39mm Explorer or a smooth bezel SS Datejust II would be safe timeless classic options which will be as wearable 20 years from now as they are today. Having had the Explorer i would go for the Datejust, blue dial, Arabic numerals & IMHO more suited to the occasion. Having said that though given your collection a Radiomir would also fit the bill beautifully, possibly the 42mm as a more dressy option for formal wear.

I think personally I would be swaying toward the IWC, given the other watches you own I think it would give you a nice variation in your collection. That said, try them both on, and buy the one that fits you best!

Craftsman
    A Portugese is definitely a good shout.

I also love the Nomos Zurich. I think it's quality, beautiful, and timeless in the white face version.

Congrats by the way.

JLC Master Ultra Thin, or for something more interesting, add a few complications to any of the master range.

I particularly like the 39mm Reserve de Marche, and would be perfect for someone like yourself who likes larger watches. The all dial approach means 39mm was a little too large for me, and I was lucky enough to bag the 37mm model instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    JLC Master Ultra Thin, or for something more interesting, add a few complications to any of the master range.

I particularly like the 39mm Reserve de Marche, and would be perfect for someone like yourself who likes larger watches. The all dial approach means 39mm was a little too large for me, and I was lucky enough to bag the 37mm model instead.
    You just got in there ahead of me. I was going to suggest something from the JLC Master range too. Something in a Rose Gold case.

I would go for a classic like the Rolex DJ2.

Gr. Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post

yeah jlc mut, the mut grande is really nice if you want 40mm size

You seem to like sportier watches!! Have you considered a 39mm Explorer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont, think you can bat the elegance and simplicity of IWC or Zenith dress watches. Just my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I'm looking to buy a watch as a wedding gift to myself for my wedding in Italy in July.

I'm 29, and usually wear quite large watches (PAM 372, DSSD, Breitling GMT) but I'm looking for an elegant dress watch that is timeless and I can still wear happily 40 years from now.

The watches I am considering are Datejust ii (cant decide on the colour ways though) or an IWC Portugese

Can anyone throw a spanner in the works to turn my head?

Budget is about £5-7k but could stretch to £10k if need be

many thanks!

Of the two suggested, IWC all the way for me.
    But then I'm no great Rolex fan. The Dornbluth is lovely (I'm wearing mine right now) but a bit thick for a dress watch.

How about this for a left field suggestion?

Go for something "vintage" (have to choose my words a bit carefully) that is the same birth year as your fiancé?

Master
    I wore a portuguese chrono

Congrats on the forthcoming nuptials. I'd be tempted by a Cartier Santos Dumont in White Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    You seem to like sportier watches!! Have you considered a 39mm Explorer?

Due to wrist personal wrist size I would probably go for the above. However the below image could easily change my mind.

Either congratulations and enjoy the hunt for your watch!

Craftsman
    I would take something smaller than 40mm. Explorer is a good option. I wore Mark XVI and still enjoy this watch.

Like you, I prefer larger sports watches such as PAMs and few dress watches do anything for me.

Of the two you've suggested, the IWC would be the easy choice for me, it's a real beauty. The Datejust does absolutely nothing for me.

However, slightly left field, but the 'dress' watch that's really caught my attention and is now on my wish list is the blue dialled GO Seventies, like this...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=Seventies

i think new it's just about in budget too.

Taking the sporty element away for a second, for a timeless and elegant dress watch I would suggest a classic Reverso.

You can't go wrong with a black DJ. This would be my choice. Enjoy your staying in Italy and your wedding!

Used AP ROC is in budget. I think these can be quite dressy but sporty too. Especially if you get the strap conversion kit. Will try and get a photo up later...Only 39m but wear a lot bigger.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations and what a great idea to buy a watch to mark the occasion. Based on pictures alone, I would go for the IWC - but I have a date-just and it is very comfortable and I am mindful of dadam02's comment about the thickness of the IWC.

Good luck, I am sure you will be happy with either

ATB

Jon

Craftsman
    I am attracted to the DJ2, but I'd choose a Portuguese Chrono in a heartbeat. It's just such a beautiful, elegant and kind of magical piece, at least it is to me, and it makes my heart beat so much faster than a DJ2 does. I love it in RG, with the silver dial, but a SS silver dial would be ok, too.

Master
    PP Calatrava 2nd hand?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    thanks guys, some really cool suggestions there - I'm going to go try both the IWC and the DJii on tomorrow but I think the Rolex will come out tops

Still completely torn between dial colours - I think I may go for the white however I really like the Arabic or Roman Numerals which are not available on white....

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    thanks guys, some really cool suggestions there - I'm going to go try both the IWC and the DJii on tomorrow but I think the Rolex will come out tops

Still completely torn between dial colours - I think I may go for the white however I really like the Arabic or Roman Numerals which are not available on white....

Which one did you go with in the end? Am I a bit to late to throw a JLC Grande Reverso into the mix :P

Quote Originally Posted by bxchan View Post
    Which one did you go with in the end? Am I a bit to late to throw a JLC Grande Reverso into the mix :P
    Probably 3 years too late!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Probably 3 years too late!

Oops... didn't see the date. Am new to this game.

Craftsman
    Perhaps on wife number 2 though 😄