closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches of Distinction - Lymington

Watches of Distinction - Lymington

Anyone any experience with these guys?

I'll be in the New Forest for a few days over the Easter weekend. They seem to have a few pieces that may be of interest in stock.

Master
    Great bunch of guys. I have had good experience with them. Speak to either James or Ian.

I was walking past their shop on Saturday morning and they had a nice 5512 or 5513 in the window and it was bitterly cold. Fortunately, there was a "back in 30 minutes" notice on the door, so the opportunity to do something impulsive was removed

As with any secondhand dealer, you need to do your homework, and buy carefully. Many of their watches don't have paperwork, or the original box. I've looked at a few watches there, one being an allegedly NOS Rolex GMT with several marks on the case. And although they offer servicing, I'm not convinced that they're accredited by the major brands, so wouldn't be able to buy OEM parts.

Based on my experience, I remain to be convinced.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Watches of Distinction - Lymington

Let's just say my brother is quite a prolific Rolex collector and lives just round the corner from the shop. I don't think he's ever bought anything in there. Last time I looked it was all a bit overpriced and when I asked a few questions which betrayed my knowledge they went a bit quiet. They asked where I got my grey NATO strap and said they had black ones for only £35!
    Aimed at rich yachties who don't know much about what they are buying IMHO - I also found them a bit snooty, so haven't bothered looking the last couple of times I've been in Lymington.

Called them about a watch they had advertised - spoke with one of the names mentioned above. Was told the watch was in stock but having some work done on it before sale and was promised a call (within a week) when it was ready to be viewed. No call forthcoming, so I called again after 1.5 weeks. Was then told the watch was in stock and someone would call me back to discuss it. No one called. Called again (like a mug) a few days later, only to be told the same thing. Again, no returned call.

After this I decided I was wasting my time and left it. Funnily enough, I never did get a call regarding the watch in question. Make of the above what you will but I do work on the premise that doing what you said you would do is a common courtesy and certainly sound business practice.

Anyone any experience with these guys?

Yes! lots.
    I live in Lymington where wod are based and view their window several times a week. Over more than 10 years I have bought Rolex, Omega, Zenith, Oris x2, Fortis,amongst several others,
    and most recently, Mrs Goats Panerai from them. I have always had a good deal, and they stand by their watches for 1 year.
    I would not hesitate to recommend them- I stop in and chat cars and watches with them now and again -they've had Porsche,Aston,Lamborghini etc etc and all kinds of watches to drool over.
    Saturday is a busy day in town due to the market day and they get a fair amount of timewasters in, weekdays sees less stock out but you'll get more attention.
    I have also put several tz'ers their way when I have seen stock that people are looking for and I know several here who have had good service.
    At the end of the day, it's their livlihood, so you won't find stock at sc prices, but I believe they are fair and they have been in the business getting on 20 years.
    Goat

Thanks guys.

I think I’ll give them a call and see when they are open over the Easter weekend. As I said, I’m in the area anyway - so I may as well pop in.

My advice is to avoid like the plague. Optimistic pricing and descriptions to say the least. No wonder they are driving Aston Martins.

I've had very useful advice from them, recommended their shop to others, two of whom have purchased from WoD and been very pleased with their purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    My advice is to avoid like the plague. Optimistic pricing and descriptions to say the least. No wonder they are driving Aston Martins.
    Have you ever dealt with them?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Chris Evans, having done the multi million Ferrari thing to death, now apparently has the ££££££££££ boat bug and Lymington is his playground at the mo'. That'll tell you quite a lot about the area. No recession there.

This thread has the capacity to bring on my vapors, as I think I posted here once about passing through there on my way to a cheapo family holiday in Shoreham. Whilst hitting the Harrods like Charity shops, I found myself window licking at a very posh place, arcade like as I recall, and got into watch conversation with Mein Host. To cut a long etc, he went to the safe, produced and proceeded to empty on his counter, a plastic bag full of military Subs, all as found and on ratted natos.

He said he does the Portsmouth RN surplus thing, and don't quote me, but I think prices were around £1500-£3000. This must have been 15 years ago, and I was skint at the time, obviously.

May not be the same place, but the word 'Lymington' always sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Chris Evans, having done the multi million Ferrari thing to death, now apparently has the ££££££££££ boat bug and Lymington is his playground at the mo'. That'll tell you quite a lot about the area. No recession there.

This thread has the capacity to bring on my vapors, as I think I posted here once about passing through there on my way to a cheapo family holiday in Shoreham. Whilst hitting the Harrods like Charity shops, I found myself window licking at a very posh place, arcade like as I recall, and got into watch conversation with Mein Host. To cut a long etc, he went to the safe, produced and proceeded to empty on his counter, a plastic bag full of military Subs, all as found and on ratted natos.

He said he does the Portsmouth RN surplus thing, and don't quote me, but I think prices were around £1500-£3000. This must have been 15 years ago, and I was skint at the time, obviously.

Sounds like the same place...the prices were very good there 15+ years when it was in the Arcade.
    i picked up a Tudor Big Block for £600 with B&P!

Master
    LOL, the green eyed monster arises.

They run a small business, and it is good to see a high street business doing well. Optimistic pricing for you perhaps, but their success suggests there are many who think the prices are fair.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a new in box speedy pro from Giles a number of years ago.

No issues from me and even managed a discount on the previously agreed price.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've had very useful advice from them, recommended their shop to others, two of whom have purchased from WoD and been very pleased with their purchases.

Have you ever dealt with them?

R
    Yes I have, they mis-sold me a 5513, described by them as in "superb" condition. It was anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    LOL, the green eyed monster arises.

They run a small business, and it is good to see a high street business doing well. Optimistic pricing for you perhaps, but their success suggests there are many who think the prices are fair.
    Not exactly, I have a marginally-cheaper vehicle which is not all about the badge.

I live not too far from WoD. I've only been in there once, and found it a strange experience. I was enquiring about something reasonably common, but that they didn't have any in stock at the time. They seemed quite disinterested and didn't bother taking my details, or trying to show me any similar watches - just told me to keep an eye on their web site. The shop seemed to be full of empty Rolex boxes and not an awful lot else.

Based on that experience, and despite being local, they are no longer on my list of places to look for watches.

Regarding pricing, just negotiate and negotiate some more until they won't go any lower, it has worked for me, but if you are looking for TZUK prices in a high street shop than you will be disappointed.
    Some weekdays he does not put a display out, hence the empty boxes, but you have a tongue in your head, use it, have a chat, any barriers are soon broken down.
    Last edited by Shrimper; 28th March 2013 at 07:56.

I don't think I've ever read a thread on here about a dealer with such diametrically opposed views! If I was ever in Lymington again (the father of a friend used to be the postmaster there) I think I'd have to go in there now just to make my own mind up...

Simon

Master
    I've spent time there.

Sometimes there's nothing on display at all and it is a tiny High Street shop. Best to view the website first, note down several and ask to view when you get there. Most of the the stock is in the safe. Some they still have, some they don't. I don't think they update the website as often as they could.

The chaps I have met were quite young but all I found affable and reasonably knowledgeable. There seem to be quite a few posh 'locals' who drop in for a chat about cars and boats but I see no harm in that at all.

It's different but I guess it depends what you're used to.

Mycroft has the best idea, go and see for yourself if in the area, but don't expect too much.

scooter

Master
    I've dealt with them a couple of times, once visiting and once online and found both experiences very satisfactory. Their prices did seem a lot more competitive a few years ago which is why I haven't dealt with them recently, but I have no issue with their service.

Blog Entries
    Had to laugh at that ''optimisic pricing' pot - kettle etc ?? your YM still there I notice

I've known them for a long time now and have always found them to be excellent, friendly and helpful, I have bought watches from them in the past although not for the last couple of years but I would always deal with Giles or James, if your going to Lymington for the weekend I would definitely visit their shop, I'm sure you will have a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post

....and regarding mr Evans,all I can say is that he uses a bar I regularly frequent,and he seems to me at least,a really nice bloke-never plays the celebrity,just down to earth bloke,seems to avoid any limelight.AS regarding his decision to keep his boat there....as a boat owner,myself, I suggest it has more to do with easy access to nice waters as much as anything else.GIles tells me most of his business is via the Internet these days,so not sure what relevance local affluence or lack of it has to do with It.
    Goat

They didn't reply to my e-mails and lost a sale as a result. Prices seem hit and miss. I've seen some very steep prices on vintage non-Rolex but the more modern stuff seems on a par with other dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    They didn't reply to my e-mails and lost a sale as a result. Prices seem hit and miss. I've seen some very steep prices on vintage non-Rolex but the more modern stuff seems on a par with other dealers.
    Did you try and phone? I guess they are busy enough with web orders/phone calls/shop visitors and the first communication channel to miss would be email.

No complaints from me. Always helpful and friendly.

In a nutshell they're a small Village retailer with (IMHO) West End prices and a West End attitude. The area is expensive and lots of wealthy people frequent the area, so they can get away with it. That's fine, I'm not interested in what car the owners drive but I personally found them a bit snooty and the watches a mixed bag but expensive.
    I guess I will put up with a bit of attitude when I'm browsing on Bond Street, I'm rather less forgiving when I'm wandering about at the weekend having a browse in a little village where my family live. I like watches but I'm less keen on the floppy fringe yah look at my Porsche yah its a rollie brigade Not green eyed, it's just boring!

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Had to laugh at that ''optimisic pricing' pot - kettle etc ?? your YM still there I notice
    Oh yeah, but I really don't care whether it sells or not. At least it's described in an honest, straightforward way.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Did you try and phone? I guess they are busy enough with web orders/phone calls/shop visitors and the first communication channel to miss would be email.
    No. Why should I have to? My business went to someone who put a contact email on his website and bothered to respond. WoD's loss not mine.

Master
    bought a Speedy from them over 2 years ago. Was assured it had been serviced but it was faulty and had to "go away" for three weeks. Still had an intermittent problem. Ended up sending to Genesis for full service and its been perfect since.
    Based on my personal experience of them I wouldn't buy from them again.

I've just bought a Panerai from them on Saturday. Spoke to James to get some more info and they couldn't have been better to deal with.

I made a an offer below the asking price. James said he would have to double check and ring me back inside 15 mins which he did and accepted my offer. They offer 12 months warranty on their pre-owned.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them from my experience on Saturday