closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The microwave! Its witchcraft!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

The microwave! Its witchcraft!!!

I've just poached an egg in the microwave. Only months ago I moved from the pan of swirling water and conifer method to a sauté pan with egg poaching plastic I things. Now I discover that I could have just chucked a raw egg in the microwave with some water and the job would have been done!!

Years wasted!!

Master
    Cooking is a total mystery to me but I do know I have a microwave, could you kindly run through the full procedure including what tools you need, pictures would be wonderful. Thanks in anticipation, just off to get some of those eggs.

The microwave! Its witchcraft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Cooking is a total mystery to me but I do know I have a microwave, could you kindly run through the full procedure including what tools you need, pictures would be wonderful. Thanks in anticipation, just off to get some of those eggs.
    Why bother? That's what a wife is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yes, but if you want it done properly....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Thankfully the 'food fairy' left me years ago, sanity prevailed and I never replaced her!

You have to watch out for exploding yolks though - I kid you not, a microwave poached egg "went off" as I bit into an egg muffin once - I was almost ducked-down, looking for the red dot from a sniper!

You have to be careful with microwaves. I know someone who didn't like his cheese cold, straight out of the fridge. He used to pop it in the microwave and give it a blast for a few seconds to take the chill off. He never set the timer, just whacked it on full and then switched it off when he thought it had had long enough. One day, he'd just put it in and switched on when the phone rang: he answered the phone (in another room) and the microwave was blasting away on full power for 10 minutes or so. When he returned, the cheese was actually burning and had melted the plastic liner inside the microwave.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Never, ever try to boil an egg in a microwave. Gets messy pretty quickly.

Master
    Doesn't poaching eggs always get messy regardless of the method? I'd like to know how the microwave method works.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Doesn't poaching eggs always get messy regardless of the method? I'd like to know how the microwave method works.
    Place a raw egg in a bowl.

Pour in 1/3 of a cup of water

add a little vinegar.

Cook on 80% power for 60 seconds.

Remove the egg with a holed spoon.

Hey presto!

Poached eggs are minging !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Poached eggs are minging !

You are joking surely Poached eggs are simply sublime

regards
    T

Banned
    Blog Entries
    With ham, and béarnaise sauce.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post

add a little vinegar.

Hey presto!
    Assuming this egg has been liberated from its shell, doesn't the whole things just turn into a steaming mass of shredded egg white? I suppose it's easy enough just to give it a go.

I have been using the cling film method of late. No mess with that.

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    I have been using the cling film method of late. No mess with that.
    Have we drifted into a completely different subject?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I always thought you were a good Catholic boy.
    Last edited by grey; 25th March 2013 at 00:22.

You're supposed to prick the yolk with something like a cocktail stick to stop it exploding in a microwave.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

We have had a microwave egg poaching set for years - five little cups in a round plate type thing. Just put a little butter in each cup, crack the egg in, and microwave. Nothing else needed.

Works perfectly.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Doesn't the butter obviate any - the single - advantage poaching has over the much preferred method of frying?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Doesn't the butter obviate any - the single - advantage poaching has over the much preferred method of frying?
    No - just prevents it sticking to the cup.

Works perfectly.

It's like this - but look! You can even make your eggs pretty!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitchen-Mi...item43ae2f0ad8
    So clever my foot fell off.

Hmm, interesting. Worth a fiver to try it out.

I once made the mistake of trying to finish off a boiled egg in the microwave. I'd boiled it but it was a bit runny so a couple of seconds in the microwave would finish it off nicely, or so I thought.

Despite the lid being off the egg the first delve with my spoon resulted in an eggy explosion! Both me and the cats jumped a mile and this send my tea flying too.

Spent the next few hours retrieving bits of egg from the walls, curtains, carpet, cats... well you get the idea.

It did make my wife laugh an awful lot though, so I guess every cloud and all that.

Cheers,
    Gary

Journeyman

RADAR

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You have to be careful with microwaves. I know someone who didn't like his cheese cold, straight out of the fridge. He used to pop it in the microwave and give it a blast for a few seconds to take the chill off. He never set the timer, just whacked it on full and then switched it off when he thought it had had long enough. One day, he'd just put it in and switched on when the phone rang: he answered the phone (in another room) and the microwave was blasting away on full power for 10 minutes or so. When he returned, the cheese was actually burning and had melted the plastic liner inside the microwave.

Eddie
    Microwaves were used to defend us in WWII - that's how RADAR works.

During my radar training in the '80's (at one point I was going to be a radar technician) I was told that on one of Her Majesties Ships a sailor was sent to polish / fix something near the ships radar and some 100% idiot switched the radar on.

Result? Dead sailor, completely fried. The power of those things is immense. Of couse it could just have been my prof's way to warn us about the dangers and no saior ever got fried, but the potential is there.

Mobile phones also use them but with much less power and that forms part of the argument about mobs and health, especially growing children's use of them Studies carried out in Sweden showed that the microwaves do not heat up the brain evently, they create 'hotspots' which may cause issues. I don't like mobiles but like most people we are virtually forced to use them.
    Last edited by LeighG; 26th March 2013 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Lol.
    Get some cling film and push it down into a cup or small bowl/dish type thing,crack the egg into it,add seasoning,tie the bag up and drop it into a pan of boiling water. Perfect poached eggs with no mess.
    Years ago,we all went to a mates house after a big piss up and he decided to microwave some eggs. When he got them out one exploded in his face and he finished up in hospital getting treatment for burns. Ouch-beware the microwave witch!

Fire good, magic bad...

add a little vinegar.

Hey presto!
    Off to give it a try now!

Although last time I tried to cook something I almost set the kitchen on fire

Frying pan, very hot oil, coconut milk = Fire.... Not good!! but every day's a school day!

Ok, I can report that all went relatively well!

The egg stuck to the bottom of the bowl a little but other than that, easy!

I've learnt a new trick for my magic cube, Cheers!

Master
    Great for scrambled eggs too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    No - just prevents it sticking to the cup.

Works perfectly.

It's like this - but look! You can even make your eggs pretty!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitchen-Mi...item43ae2f0ad8
    I bought one of those to try it out. Egg one, 1 min with tiny knob of butter. Didn't prick the yolk. Nearly exploded (glad of the lid) and the yolk was cooked.
    Two eggs at once, yolks pricked, 50 seconds (on the principle that two things in a microwave take a lot longer than one). Yolk runny, whites not fully cooked, but enough. Not bad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Ok, I can report that all went relatively well!

The egg stuck to the bottom of the bowl a little but other than that, easy!

I've learnt a new trick for my magic cube, Cheers!
    More vinegar will help avoid the sticking! :-)

Master
    I loves me a poached egg or two in the morning. But found this method from some tellybox programme.

Take a small bowl and a put about a 7" length of cling film loosely over the top - let it droop into the bowl
    Add a small dash of olive oil, some sea salt and a grind of pepper to the cling film
    Crack an egg onto it all
    Gather up the edges of the cling film and secure either with a knot or a plastic food bag clip
    Boil for 5 minutes
    Remove from water, unclip and slide out on to your toast/muffin/etc.

Perfectly cooked, no messing about with techniques, no horrible vinegar taste and already pre-seasoned. Sublime.

You can also add any flavourings or spices you like before cooking. A little smoked paprika is very nice indeed but fresh herbs work as well.

It sure is! I used to dry clothes in the microwave, but once forgot to set the timer. I thought water couldn't get any hotter than 100 degrees - but there was some oily stuff mixed in the cotton, I guess. The sweater and that irritating plastic cover no-one uses fused together and the fumes never left the kitchen. I moved out a couple of months later.

Craftsman
    Love a good poached egg, but I generally fry mine, though I trim off nearly all the white in the pan with a spatula as it starts to solidify as I'm all about the runny yolk.

If you like your eggs solid though you could give one of these a try. I thought it was a spoof at first but apparently not : http://www.getrollie.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Pot noodle in the microwave was another surprise!

Pot noodle in the microwave was another surprise!
    Pot noodles are always a bit of a surprise.

Eddie

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quite. But its not faffy food right!!

Or satellite uplink

Quote Originally Posted by LeighG View Post
    Microwaves were used to defend us in WWII - that's how RADAR works.

During my radar training in the '80's (at one point I was going to be a radar technician) I was told that on one of Her Majesties Ships a sailor was sent to polish / fix something near the ships radar and some 100% idiot switched the radar on.

Result? Dead sailor, completely fried. The power of those things is immense. Of couse it could just have been my prof's way to warn us about the dangers and no saior ever got fried, but the potential is there.

Mobile phones also use them but with much less power and that forms part of the argument about mobs and health, especially growing children's use of them Studies carried out in Sweden showed that the microwaves do not heat up the brain evently, they create 'hotspots' which may cause issues. I don't like mobiles but like most people we are virtually forced to use them.
    The potential is most definitely there re the fried sailor. When I worked with satellite uplinks, we used to hang sandwiches, pasties etc in bags on the dish emitter arm, make sure we were not pointing at a satellite and wind up the transmitter. Red hot nosh in seconds.
    Extremely effective but I must say very bulky and expensive outdoor cooking kit ;)

andy

Master
    Had our microwave repaired last week, it having gone pop and stopped warming things some time ago. It is an expensive 'fitted' one, so I was keen to resurect it rather than bin it and buy a cheapo replacement.

Anyway, chap came and mended it. Really knowledgeable bloke, happy to explain the finer working of the machine. Three parts needed replacing - a little 'rectifier' and mahoosive 'capacitor' (apparently enough stored energy to cause serious harm, if not kill after of week of no use) and the main microwave emitter/generator thingy, or as he called it 'the MAGNATRON'! Sounds like something from a Transformers movie! If microwaves are witchcraft, then this is the witch within. A really sci-fi looking gizmo and the heart of the machine.

I cannot even begin to comprehend how these things work, even after the repair chappie tried to explain it all. Ours does now work again, thanks to his good work and I am left with a spare, but non-functioning 'magnatron'. Hmm, I wonder if I should take it apart - maybe mend it. What would I do with it? Build a weapon? Hmmmm. Perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if I should take it apart
    It's probably best not to do that.

"Some magnetrons have beryllium oxide (beryllia) ceramic insulators, which are dangerous if crushed and inhaled, or otherwise ingested. Single or chronic exposure can lead to berylliosis, an incurable lung condition. In addition, beryllia is listed as a confirmed human carcinogen by the IARC; therefore, broken ceramic insulators or magnetrons should not be directly handled."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It's probably best not to do that.

"Some magnetrons have beryllium oxide (beryllia) ceramic insulators, which are dangerous if crushed and inhaled, or otherwise ingested. Single or chronic exposure can lead to berylliosis, an incurable lung condition. In addition, beryllia is listed as a confirmed human carcinogen by the IARC; therefore, broken ceramic insulators or magnetrons should not be directly handled."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

Thought there might be some nasty stuff in there. I'll definitely not be taking it apart!

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Thought there might be some nasty stuff in there. I'll definitely not be taking it apart!
    I think I would chuck it away if I were you!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    I think I would chuck it away if I were you!!
    Good plan, before the Decepticons realise I have it!