closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP ROO: Are they a good daily wearer?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

AP ROO: Are they a good daily wearer?

Morning gents

After selling my PAM 25, I'm thinking of moving to my ultimate watch, A Royal Oak Offshore. Just wanted to know off you fellow wearers, are they a good daily wearer, or are you forever watching out in case you bang it or such like? Fortunately I'm at a desk all day, so the odd swirl might appear & that's it! The Panerais I've owned I found to be easy on the dents & dings.

So what do you reckon?

Cheers

Adam
    Last edited by adam164; 25th March 2013 at 18:59.

Master
    Personally I wouldn't consider wearing something like that on a daily basis. You maybe at your desk all day, but you have still got door handles, hand rails and walls to contend with.

AP ROO: Are they a good daily wearer

I think I'd get sick of the roo if I wore it everyday. It sits quite high, is a bit unbalanced and is bulky and heavy, particularly on steel.

I've owned ROO's before and I love them but I would never consider one as a daily wearer, the Royal Oak bezel is beautiful but also very susceptible to getting dinged and very expensive to repair. It's marketed by AP as a sports watch with 100m WR but I was never brave enough to go in a pool with one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I was never brave enough to go in a pool with one!
    Wuss!

I was thinking of taking it to the extreme depths, well my friend's swimming pool in Annapolis in August!

If its not a daily wearer what is it? If one won't use it as a daily wearer, then I assume that you won't be diving in it either or wearing it for other sports despite it being a sports watch. Its patently not a dress watch and sounds too chunky to wear with a suit in any event.

What does that leave; the safe; wearing it as your television watch?

I had an AP ROO RBII that was just fine as a daily wearer. Not ideal with a shirt/suit but rarely wear one so not an issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Not ideal with a shirt/suit but rarely wear one so not an issue.
    That's one of my queries. i usually wear T shirts/short sleeved shirts for work, but now & again I have to put on a suit & shirt. How do they sit with double cuffs?

Master
    I wore an ss ROO Rubberclad every day for about 2 months and it was a ding magnet! I bought it new and sold it after a few months for this very reason. Nice watch though and possibly more versatile than you might imagine. I wouldn't recommend it as a daily wearer though.

Banned
    My ROO was a daily watch but i got bored with it as i do with most watches as i can wear them everyday, i overkill the wearing so now i have a Omega beater and just wind the other stuff daily, then look forward to putting them on.

No. It's a 'look at me' watch and completely incongruous with most work environments. Perhaps the RO or ROC may work as they are more refined and classic but only rappers could get away with a ROO for daily wear. Fine for a weekend watch though.

Master
    I wear my ROO Diver on a bracelet as an everyday watch, it's totally fine.

It's not as tall as my DSSD so sits under a shirt cuff nicely.

ROO's are great quality and fine everyday if you sit at a desk- just make sure you get a good
    deal on one and don't pay retail- sadly when you exit a watch shop few watches plummet in value
    like a brand new ROO...

I owned one for about six months & like any watch I own, wore it 24/7. It just fitted under an M&S shirt cuff but was tight with my made to measure shirts. I wore it cycling, the odd run (don't run too much) and doing anything else we do daily. The only time I took it off to do something was when I was fixing a leak under the sink. Mrs GB reminded me I was wearing it, so off it came. I never had a problem with it's thickness & can honestly say it lived up to my expectations of it. I absolutely loved it & miss it. I had found my grail. I stopped hawking the forums & looking at the dealer sites. Nobody knew what it was, unlike my Yacht-Master which attracted comments (is it real?) & I use to not wear my YM in certain parts of London, or if I was going to be on public transport late at night.

Mine was like the one in the link (below) only with a silver dial & in steel. The water resistance has been stated as 100m but they have been tested at 300m & been okay. However, I don't believe they can be used underwater as it says in the sales spiel. I think that's cobblers. Plus, if you click on the pic with the bracelet clasp open & use the zoom facility, it clearly states it's stainless steel, but I digress. The Offshore is a fabulous watch.

http://www.watchclub.com/w4689/audem...ronograph.html
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 26th March 2013 at 12:00. Reason: dicshun

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a daily wearer. Nice for weekends. To hsukirk I think you mean 36mm Royal Oak...don't think they made an Offshore that size.

RRP I agree is a world away from real values so get a good deal. The outgoing model is in my opinion outdated now. It has been in production since 03/04. Its super but the new version is much more comfortable and the design is more fitting for 2013. Everyone is different though. Personally I'd be tempted to take the Diver over the ROO Chrono which is newer and still doesn't break the bank (all relative I know). You should be able to buy one comfortably for 8k (same price as a boring SS Daytona). The rubber clad is slightly more popular than steel in the outgoing however looks scruffy quickly with knocking and rubbing. Servicing can take 6 months and 1.5-2k so be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    That's one of my queries. i usually wear T shirts/short sleeved shirts for work, but now & again I have to put on a suit & shirt. How do they sit with double cuffs?

Hi Adam

If it's a properly fitted shirt with cuff then an AP will catch on it all the time....bothers some and would bug me if I wore a dress shirt every day but I don't anymore.

Gareth