closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scottish independence - silly question

Master

Scottish independence - silly question

Will an independent Scotland automatically be a republic or is that a different matter. I can't imagine that Alex is much of a monarchist.

Re: Scottish independence - silly question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Will an independent Scotland automatically be a republic or is that a different matter. I can't imagine that Alex is much of a monarchist.
    They would have to be... they wouldn't very able to afford a monarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I don't think the question will need answering, as about 75% of the people I know will be voting no to independence.
    Hopefully the rest of the population up here will see sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I don't think the question will need answering, as about 75% of the people I know will be voting no to independence.
    Correct.

It's never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Agreed, I know very few that support an independent Scotland, more devolution of power that is another matter. I for one will be voting No.

King Alec and Princess Sturgeon - what a pair of Koontz!

You aren't the first person to ask the question. This article is a year old, so things may have changed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-Scotland.html

Blog Entries
    A big "No" from me.

PS had a good laugh at the comment from the welshman.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    A big "No" from me.

PS had a good laugh at the comment from the welshman.
    With a typo now I look at it... bloody auto-correct :)

Master
    Two more "Nos" here from the wife and I

The SNP stance I believe is that the Queen will remain head of state with a further referendum down the line regarding the role of the monarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Agreed, I know very few that support an independent Scotland, more devolution of power that is another matter. I for one will be voting No.
    I sincerely hope you're right but they have well over a year to mount a ferocious anti-England, anti-UK campaign that's almost certainly going to turn dirty, which would be very counter-productive from the UK's point of view. I think we should stand back and offer advice only when asked and then in a proper fashion.

Master
    Will certainly be voting no. Reinforced by the fact that Salmond will let people like Trump to come over and do as they like...

Dave

The last time this was discussed my recollection was that someone suggested Princess Anne could be the head of state in Scotland. Seemed to me to be an illogical and retrograde ambition for a newly independent country to have. But then again at least it's not the Duke of Wessex.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Did I mention, no?

What a waste of money the campaign will be

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The SNP stance I believe is that the Queen will remain head of state with a further referendum down the line regarding the role of the monarchy.
    For years the SNP were republican, but on the eve of winning a majority at the last election, Salmond arbitrarily and without reference to his party, decided that an independent Scotland would retain the Queen, most likely done on the basis of not scaring the voters with too much change at one time and keeping an eye on his main objective. There are many in his party who are holding their wheesht until the referendum is "won" but would then see what might happen in a referendum on the monarchy.

Personally I'd like to see the monarchy go but the Union remain.

In my office today, there was a general feeling of the heart wanting an independent Scotland but the head saying "No." Only one person from about 20 I spoke to, was planning to vote with her heart.

Anyway isn't this G&D so no Politics or religion?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    King Alec and Princess Sturgeon - what a pair of Koontz!
    lol what my mate has said above :)

dinnae ken their heid fae their asses

Craftsman
    When this foolish bid for autonomy fails, as Im now confident that it will - where will this leave the SNP and Scottish politics in general?

Craftsman
    I should qualify my strong feelings: I am half Scottish but I m not resident, so I can only watch from the sidelines. I feel very strongly about the issue, though.

They could choose Prince William as their king, since he is descended from the Stuart line (the last Kings of an independent Scotland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_o...rt#Present-day

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    For years the SNP were republican, but on the eve of winning a majority at the last election, Salmond arbitrarily and without reference to his party, decided that an independent Scotland would retain the Queen, most likely done on the basis of not scaring the voters with too much change at one time and keeping an eye on his main objective. There are many in his party who are holding their wheesht until the referendum is "won" but would then see what might happen in a referendum on the monarchy.

Personally I'd like to see the monarchy go but the Union remain.

In my office today, there was a general feeling of the heart wanting an independent Scotland but the head saying "No." Only one person from about 20 I spoke to, was planning to vote with her heart.

Anyway isn't this G&D so no Politics or religion?

As you say the G&D fourn isn't for politics so i won't get into the for or against campaign, all I will add is that I understand the decision to keep the monarchy and leave it to a referendum is simply that the unionist parties would use that angle strongly against the YES campaign.

By keeping the monarchy and leaving it to a referendum to decide then Salmond kills two birds with one stone

(1) He lessens any possible anxiety for the pro monarchist's that the referendum will be a vote to 'keep the Queen'.

(2) He keeps the republicans in his own party happy that they in turn will get a democratic vote regarding the issue at a later date.

In essence it's a bit of strategic politicking to lessen a potential vulnerable area for the Yes campaign while keeping the republicans in his own party happy (for now).

Prince Harry would make the perfect King:

1. Ginger
    2. Likes a bevvy

Im not too sure that the inteligencia are the SNPs target market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Thanks for that, sorry for kicking off a debate that should really be in HPC or even the Bearpit, I just wondered about the monarchy issue thing.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Im not too sure that the inteligencia are the SNPs target market.
    I fear you are correct - their emotive arguments are first rate, their actual real arguments are seriously lacking...