closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Utility suppliers, Gas & Electricity

Master
    Blog Entries

Utility suppliers, Gas & Electricity

It was that time of year to shop around for such things recently .My current (ex) suppliers were having a big increase.

Spark Energy claimed they could save me £214 pa by joining them from my existing deal which i had obviously advised them of. So, currently £96x12 = £1152 - £214 = £938 or £78.00pm. Today i got a schedule through from Spark Energy telling me they had set up the new DD for £100pm!!!!!!!!

The phone is now cooling down a bit after calling them. What bunch of idiot retards. Can no-one do anything right any-more

Master

Our energy bill have gone crazy recently. Looked at moving but no one else is much cheaper... Expecting another 10% rise soon but have been offered a capped rate until next year.

Dave

Master
    I've recently moved from NPower after they doubled my monthly repayments claiming I was not covering my usage. This despite the fact I had supplied exact usage figures for the 12 months prior when I signed up. After 5 months of double payments lo and behold my final bill is £320 in credit even though it was over the winter period. I rang them today and they asked me if I'd like the credit refunding. No, just keep it, I'm sure you will make better use of it than me! Complete cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    It was that time of year to shop around for such things recently .My current (ex) suppliers were having a big increase.

Spark Energy claimed they could save me £214 pa by joining them from my existing deal which i had obviously advised them of. So, currently £96x12 = £1152 - £214 = £938 or £78.00pm. Today i got a schedule through from Spark Energy telling me they had set up the new DD for £100pm!!!!!!!!

The phone is now cooling down a bit after calling them. What bunch of idiot retards. Can no-one do anything right any-more

I got a quote from Spark last week and they said my monthly payments would be about the same as yours were going to be, £78. So I was thinking of sorting it all out with them this week, until I read this!

Did they give you a reason as to why they've started your DD at £100?

It would appear to be standard practice for energy companies to set direct debits too high, so that you build up a large credit balance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I got a quote from Spark last week and they said my monthly payments would be about the same as yours were going to be, £78. So I was thinking of sorting it all out with them this week, until I read this!

Did they give you a reason as to why they've started your DD at £100?

After a brisk verbal exchange, they apologised and said the first £100 was too late to stop, being taken a month in advance tomorrow. They assure me though it will be £60 the following month followed by a regular £80pm. If that doesn't happen they will hear from me again.

No reason given for the DD level they had set, i assumed simple incompetence tbh, though it may be as suggested they're hedging their bets. If they can save me money as claimed though why on earth would they seek to charge me more? It was the contradiction that wound me up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    If they can save me money as claimed though why on earth would they seek to charge me more?
    So they make money on your credit balance!

I hope you did not think that they are in the business to do yoú a favour?

As i understand it pretty common practice to over-bill particularly on people who pay by direct debit as it is less likely to be noticed and then cite it as building 'credit' for your account if questioned, as if somehow by taking your money they are doing you a favor!

And there was me thinking I opened a bank account so that I had somewhere to put what little of my money I have left

Master
    I've gone back to Scottish Power. I don't know if I was just lucky, but last time I was with them they reviewed my payments every three months and seemed to get them pretty much spot on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    So they make money on your credit balance!

I hope you did not think that they are in the business to do yoú a favour?
    I thought the same, but my British Gas accounts (Gas and Electric) are both in the minus or I owe them.
    Has been this way since I signed up 18 months ago.
    I pay monthly by DD and submit monthly readings, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Craftsman

BEWARE SPARK. They are buying the business and often showing up as the cheapest on comparison sites. Google them to see all the problems. Some describe them as crooks etc but a consistent view is that they have terrible customer service. It's a long tale but a colleague ended up in a legal battle with them - not nice at all.

Both my energy suppliers (NPower and British Gas) pull the same stunt every year. Throughout the year I build up a healthy credit balance and at the end of the third quarter I was in credit to the tune of £346. The fourth quarter is a heavy quarter so I was expecting the credit balance to reduce but on my fourth quarter bill I was in debit by a few quid. After studying the bill I realised that this was caused by a combination of heavier energy usage (expected) and the fact that instead of crediting my account with three monthly payments, they had only credited it with two, pushng me into a debit. The consequence of this was that they also increased my direct debit for the coming year. The missing monthly payment will appear on my next statement which means that I will start the year in credit and remain in credit for the rest of the year until once again, they only credit my account with two payments in the final quarter.

I realise that my account has been credited with 12 payments in a year but there must be a reason why they do it this way and it just feels wrong!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Both my energy suppliers (NPower and British Gas) pull the same stunt every year. Throughout the year I build up a healthy credit balance and at the end of the third quarter I was in credit to the tune of £346. The fourth quarter is a heavy quarter so I was expecting the credit balance to reduce but on my fourth quarter bill I was in debit by a few quid. After studying the bill I realised that this was caused by a combination of heavier energy usage (expected) and the fact that instead of crediting my account with three monthly payments, they had only credited it with two, pushng me into a debit. The consequence of this was that they also increased my direct debit for the coming year. The missing monthly payment will appear on my next statement which means that I will start the year in credit and remain in credit for the rest of the year until once again, they only credit my account with two payments in the final quarter.

I realise that my account has been credited with 12 payments in a year but there must be a reason why they do it this way and it just feels wrong!

Eddie
    Perhaps a swift email to OFGEM, Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    BEWARE SPARK. They are buying the business and often showing up as the cheapest on comparison sites. Google them to see all the problems. Some describe them as crooks etc but a consistent view is that they have terrible customer service. It's a long tale but a colleague ended up in a legal battle with them - not nice at all.
    Utility Warehouse are in the same league - dire business to deal with.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I moved from Scottish Power to Ovo Energy, which seems to have a good reputation. Not saving much (anything to be honest) since the cost has eaten up any potential savings. I'd been on a year's fixed term with SP but the month after that it went up by 40%.