closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart, very smart (watch)

Smart, very smart (watch)

O tempora (etc) ...

Interesting article in the Financial Post:

Smartwatch war heating up: What Apple, Google and Samsung’s watches mean for you

Forget about the smartphone wars.
    With news of Samsung working on its own smartwatch, the smartwatch war is starting.
    The real power in wearable computing is in its ability to enhance our everyday human experience by seamlessly bringing technology closer to us.
    While some may argue that further integrating technology into our bodies could detract from our day-to-day interactions with other people, wearable technology can actually enhance our lives.
    Similar to the Nike Fuelband, smartwatches could track how many calories you’re burning, and also monitor your blood pressure. They could also easily support companion apps like Runkeeper, without having to bog down the watch’s storage drive.

So if you’re a cyclist or runner who uses wearable technology like heart rate monitors, then having a glanceable view of that information being collected in real time is pretty compelling.
    But other than fitness purposes, Forrester Principal Analyst Charles Golvin tells Business Insider he doesn’t see smartwatches having a huge impact on the consumer electronics industry.
    He notes how watch sales have been in decline, and the number of people who wear a watch is also declining.
    “Primarily because the sources of time are all around us,” Golvin says. “[...]The smartphone and the phone itself is already a great source of time.”
    But still, that’s not stopping companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google from pursuing smartwatches. Meanwhile, plenty of other companies have already beat Apple, Google, and Samsung to the smartwatch game. Pebble has already started shipping its smartwatch, which can push email, text messages, updates from social networks, and the weather. And Sony already sells a SmartWatch, which works with most Android phones.

Apple’s “iWatch” will likely be seamlessly integrated with the vast majority of Apple’s products and services — iPhone, iPad, Mac, iTunes, you name it. So if you’re already immersed in the Apple ecosystem, the iWatch could act as a facilitator, notifying you when you receive a phone call or text message.
    An Apple iWatch could also potentially eliminate passwords all together, former Apple employee Bruce Tognazzini recently speculated. It could also make sure you never lose your iPhone again by alerting you the second you start to move out of range from your phone.
    Apple reportedly has a team of 100 developers actively working on the watch, and plans to release it this year.

A Google smartwatch, on the other hand, would likely be closely integrated into Google’s products and services.
    While you’re watching a program on Google TV, just tap your smartwatch to change the channel. Or, you could probably also just say, “Okay, watch, change the channel to HBO.”
    Google secured a patent for a smart watch with a flip-up display back in October 2012. In January, we got word that Google is indeed exploring the idea of making its own smart watch, but details were limited.
    Similar to Google Glass, the smartwatch would be able to give directions, retrieve product information, and display e-mail notifications. So if Google does release a smart watch, it may be that a consumer would choose one or the other. That is, Glass or the smartwatch.

Given that Samsung is Google’s largest Android partner, we imagine Samsung’s watch would run on Android. That way, the watch could integrate with Samsung’s phones right out of the box.

What would give smartwatches a broader appeal?
    “If the phone enables a lot more control and interaction with the phone, where most of the processing power and connectivity is happening, then that might make a significant difference,” Golvin says. “The more you can do with your phone still in your pocket or your purse and just using the watch as essentially a user interface and control device, that might change things.”
    Right now, smartwatches seem to be another accessory to cement loyalty in a company’s platform and ecosystem, Golvin says.

source article here :http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=4d63-2989

Im looking forward to Apple's contribution. Should tide me over until I can get my hands on the Precista version. For a model name, I suggest the PRS 'Smarta-RSE'

Journeyman
    Just discussing this at work and were talking about having things like a simple satnav, and your notifications on a watch would be good.

I've got a iPod nano watch, which was fine for music listening. But it was missing the link to the iPhone.

I've a black version of this :-

http://news.doddleme.com/wp-content/...nano-watch.jpg

I can't make my mind up about the idea of a smart watch. A lot of the techies I follow on Twitter are getting very excited about Pebble at the moment but I just can't envisage a scenario where I wouldn't just get my phone out to do whatever it is I want to do.

But what do I know, give it 5 years and we'll all be doing this:

Last edited by redrum; 21st March 2013 at 11:41. Reason: Typo

Journeyman
    what if some of the big watch brands start making a smart/phone watch over a few year? which one would be the first?

Thomas Reid
    I'm not so interested in them springing this on us. If it doesn't have a balance with a spring and a spring powering the balance with a spring, I won't spring for it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I'm not so interested in them springing this on us. If it doesn't have a balance with a spring and a spring powering the balance with a spring, I won't spring for it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Likewise - however, if they manage to make a highly efficient spring power all the electrickery needed, in a kind of Trevor Bayliss wind up way, then I am more than interested :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GSQZ View Post
    what if some of the big watch brands start making a smart/phone watch over a few year? which one would be the first?
    I'm betting TAG Heuer. The alternatives:

Omega -leathergoods, jewellery and eau de toilette
    Rolex - nothing
    Breitling - little planes and penknives
    Longines - antiquarian retro

Another one might be Tissot which, despite its reheated Heritage line, also does modern -same for Hamilton.

Sony beat both Samsung and Apple to the smartwatch punch, but it's the wrong brand, so I guess it doesn't count. Like the Samsung and Apple things, it works with a smartphone and offers only limited functionality without.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/20/apple-iwatch/
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'm sure someone was giving away the Sony ones last year if you bought a new Sony phone: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/s...ands-on-video/

I thought it seemed like quite a nice idea, just a local display on your wrist, that could be tailored to your requirements that saved having to pull your great hulking smartphone out of your pocket just to tell the time, remind yourself what time your next appointment is, etc.

I was tempted, but didn't really want it as well as a proper watch.

Master
    I don't get why you'd want a watch synched to your phone. If you want to know who's calling, just check the phone. Seems a bit pointless to me. What I really want from a smartwatch is something like this, but much cheaper. It's Jorg Hysek's HD3 Slyde. Has a high-res LED screen, and you can download different 'skins' for the display, so you can tailor the watch face to any design you like. The display runs the face as an animation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Very apposite, on the first day of spring.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    blah blah etc etc
    ..... give it 5 years and we'll all be doing this:

i'd just like to have half that head of hair in five years time sod the watch

Craftsman
    I find it odd people don't see the potential. You'll often hear people on here pointing out how a watch is a better device for showing the time than a phone as it's quicker to access. Likewise simple notifications sent to a device on the wrist will allow you to interact faster.

Obviously for things where any volume of input is required from the user, like writing a message, you will get your phone out. But when you are sent an email, SMS, or DM on a social network simply being able to glance at your wrist is a clear advantage over getting your phone out of your pocket. If your phone rings, you can glance down at your wrist and either route the phone to a wireless headset or send the call to voice-mail. Then there is a host of sports based applications and media playback controls. Navigation when walking around unfamiliar cities would become a lot simpler without constantly holding your phone in front of you.

They are coming, and they will sell in large numbers. As long as they remember to make versions for the right wrist as well, as I will still wear a normal watch on the left.

Being a bit of a gadget freak I do find myself lusting after this kinda thing, many times recently I very nearly bought a Garmin Fenix or a Suunto Ambit.

But the fact is, I am a watch snob, I just can't bring myself to wear a plastic watch, maybe the Apple watch will change this, I can't see them making anything out of plastic.

And they will have to do something about the battery life of these things, I already have enough things that need to be charged up every day, I do not want another.

Tell me again when they get the battery to last a couple of years like the one in my X-33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GSQZ View Post
    Hopefully none of them.

Craftsman
    I've got a Pebble http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_%28watch%29 waiting for me when I return to the UK.

I backed it on Kickstarter and I'm really looking forward to playing with it.