closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: experiences with watchfinder.co.uk?

experiences with watchfinder.co.uk?

hi

has anyone bought a watch from the website: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk?, if you have, what do you think of the shop?

thanks

Craftsman
    I made a purchase from them last year and all went well with the negotiation being well handled - oevrall I was very pleased

I have, I never visited the shop.

The sales staff are a little annoying, but the watch I got is A1.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    also depending on how fussy you are, any watch that they have 'refinished' themselves may not meet your requirements

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    also depending on how fussy you are, any watch that they have 'refinished' themselves may not meet your requirements
    I cannot comment on this as mine had been worked on by Rolex and came with their service card

Craftsman
    Just remembered:- I had an email through from them recently saying they were inviting offers on any watch so maybe business is a bit slow ??

I have never bought from them online or in-store but I can still attest to their excellent customer service, having visited their premises in Maidstone to inspect a handful of watches whilst I was searching for my birthday piece. The sales chap was incredibly patient and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I have, I never visited the shop.

The sales staff are a little annoying, but the watch I got is A1.
    you mean like pushy?

thanks

did you have an unsatisfactory experience?

one of the things i wondered about was the lack of pictures, just one photo of the front of the watch, sometimes saying pre-refurbishment image

Exactly my experience.

I got Genesis Watchmaking (superb ) to correct their mistakes, at my cost.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Exactly my experience.

I got Genesis Watchmaking (superb ) to correct their mistakes, at my cost.
    what happened andrew?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Russo View Post
    did you have an unsatisfactory experience?

one of the things i wondered about was the lack of pictures, just one photo of the front of the watch, sometimes saying pre-refurbishment image
    yes,

i have bought a few new watches from them no issue, nor would i have any issue with a watch back fresh from a rolex or breitling service, their own refinishing isnt oem standard though and i returned a watch or two to them based on this (and in fairness they offer a full refund if you arent happy)

you mean like pushy?

thanks
    Slightly, but not overly.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I've sold a couple of watches through them and they've been OK. This time last year they raised their commission rates to 20% (min Ł250) but they've since reduced it back to 10% (min Ł150) which Is much more acceptable. I think they tried to get a little greedy but their sales suffered accordingly.

Blog Entries
    Didn't we do this thread already this week, or is that just déjŕ vu?

Search the forum for "watchfinder" and "watchfinder.co.uk" and you will see this question asked over and over.

yes,

i have bought a few new watches from them no issue, nor would i have any issue with a watch back fresh from a rolex or breitling service, their own refinishing isnt oem standard though and i returned a watch or two to them based on this (and in fairness they offer a full refund if you arent happy)
    thanks for the information cyrusir, by refinishing do you just mean like polishing or something like inside the watch?

thanks to everyone who replied, appreciate the information

what websites would you recommend for buying used?

thanks again

Master
    thanks for the information cyrusir, by refinishing do you just mean like polishing or something like inside the watch?
    case refinishing, my issue was with their brushing, polishing is easier but some brushed finishes arent easily replicated

- - - Updated - - -

thanks to everyone who replied, appreciate the information

what websites would you recommend for buying used?

thanks again
    if they have something you like no harm in trying it, if it isnt what you expect get a full refund, they are very reputable

blowers are also good

case refinishing, my issue was with their brushing, polishing is easier but some brushed finishes arent easily replicated

- - - Updated - - -

if they have something you like no harm in trying it, if it isnt what you expect get a full refund, they are very reputable

blowers are also good
    thanks a lot man

sold through them and no problems.

I bought my explorer 2 from them and the whole transaction was really great.

I had plenty of communication and it arrived swiftly and exactly as described. I would certainly buy from them again if they have what i am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    I bought my explorer 2 from them and the whole transaction was really great.

I had plenty of communication and it arrived swiftly and exactly as described. I would certainly buy from them again if they have what i am looking for.
    hi, thanks for replying

what explorer 2 did you get?

My standard reply to this monthly question: purchased from them twice, delighted on both occasions.

hi, thanks for replying

what explorer 2 did you get?
    I got a black faced 42mm version.

I got a black faced 42mm version.
    cool i hope you like it

i hope to have the 40mm one day, probably in white but with the new one that you got i actually think the black dial maybe suits it better

cool i hope you like it

i hope to have the 40mm one day, probably in white but with the new one that you got i actually think the black dial maybe suits it better
    im really pleased with it. i like the white one but wasnt too taken with it when i tried it on, i think the black looks better for my tastes.

For me the advantage of buying through watchfinder instead of brand new was the lower price, i couldnt bring myself to pay full retail but a second hand one from a shop for less than many examples were going for elswhere on the net felt like a good deal. Also, buying it from a shop gave me some confidence as i would have been worried about buying a fake from a private seller.

im really pleased with it. i like the white one but wasnt too taken with it when i tried it on, i think the black looks better for my tastes.

For me the advantage of buying through watchfinder instead of brand new was the lower price, i couldnt bring myself to pay full retail but a second hand one from a shop for less than many examples were going for elswhere on the net felt like a good deal. Also, buying it from a shop gave me some confidence as i would have been worried about buying a fake from a private seller.
    i think so, with such a big purchase i would want to buy from a reputable shop/site, it's why i made this thread

i usually look at the 16570 explorer 2's with a slight preference for the white dial, it's close, today i've been browsing the new 42mm version and i do definitely prefer the black dial over the white on the new version for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    My standard reply to this monthly question: purchased from them twice, delighted on both occasions.
    Ditto that: both Rolexes and the transaction's were flawless.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I found their repairs to be first class, but the sales were less impressive. I was assured the 18 month old Rolex would be like new, but sadly it arrived with chipped crystal and massive dent in the lug. Their reply? It did not need any further work as it would be too invasive. 2 weeks later, I got a refund to my bank minus return postage. Would I use them again? Not unless I was buying new in box at mega cheap prices.

Grand Master
    Had a quick look on their website yesterday, which I haven`t done for some time. I thought their prices were way too high.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    I found their repairs to be first class, but the sales were less impressive. I was assured the 18 month old Rolex would be like new, but sadly it arrived with chipped crystal and massive dent in the lug. Their reply? It did not need any further work as it would be too invasive. 2 weeks later, I got a refund to my bank minus return postage. Would I use them again? Not unless I was buying new in box at mega cheap prices.
    that doesn't sound good olives

thanks for replying

They now have a retail shop in the Royal Exchange in the City of London. Opposite the Bank of England.

I have asked to put a bid on some of my watches, but felt they lowballed me. When I rejected their bids, they then suggested a commission sale approach, based on whatever price I wanted to use. This may explain some of the ambitious prices being asked.

They also sell via eBay.

When trying to buy from the sales staff have been very helpful..willing to go and check guarantee papers so you know the date of original purchase and seller, but not able to give out full serial numbers.

On some watches the sales staff have some flexibility on price.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by budfox88 View Post

I have asked to put a bid on some of my watches, but felt they lowballed me
    you mean when you tried to sell through them?

Yes - I tried to get them to buy my watches outright or part exchange.

i get it

thanks budfox

Journeyman
    Interesting to know, I'm on their mailing list but being in Australia I can't pop in and have a look.

They do have something currently, that is tempting me though.

Just need to find out what will happen with Australian customs charges.

Their website is running very slowly at the moment, is it always like that?

haven't noticed it being slow tbh, a lot of sites are a lot slower for me, and my speed sucks at the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by budfox88 View Post
    Yes - I tried to get them to buy my watches outright or part exchange.
    They always offer silly cheap prices if you're trying to sell but I've sold a few watches through them on a commission basis and it works well.

They'll take an offer on any watch you want to buy and, if it's a commission sale put the offer to the seller. If its their own watch they'll make a decision there and then although I think that most of the watches are commission sales.

Master
    Have never purchased from them personally but they seem to have got their act together in recent times from what i've heard. Nicely layed out website and very slick marketing compared to others.

I went into the shop in the Royal Exchange yesterday with the intention of part exchanging my recently serviced ( and looking rather spiffy) Speedmaster for an Explorer 1. Pleasant enough staff, low-balled on the speedy which ultimately cost them the sale on a rather overpriced Explorer ( which they were willing to drop by one hundred pounds , which was still not enough). Not bad, but not great.
    However Watchfinder were far more pleasant than David Duggan in the Burlington Arcade. The sales assistant I dealt with today had an unusual - and I have to say rather smug approach to selling an Explorer, which upon inspection had a bracelet like a slinky and a great big chip in the crystal. I pointed out the chip to the sales assistant as he was explaining that they were a registered Rolex repair agent and fully serviced all their stock before selling it. I purchased a very lovely Explorer 1 from another store.