closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help identifying an old watch

Journeyman

Help identifying an old watch

My grandfather left me a few watches when he passed away almost 20 years ago including a battered seamaster, a tidy 72 certina blue ribbon and a mystery item that has no external markings at all.

It still runs despite half a century lying in a kitchen drawer. I doubt this is the original box but this and tissue paper is all it came in.

I've not had the back off yet to look for any markings but wondered if anyone has any idea what it could be.

Garrards was a British watch manufacturer that used various Swiss movements in their watches. I have one but there is no Swiss name on the movement.

I once read that they sometimes used Eterna movements.

Not worth a huge amount of money, but there ares some nice ones out there.

Here's mine (it was my father's watch)

Apprentice

Nice

Nice looking watch, whatever it is

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad View Post
    Garrards was a British watch manufacturer that used various Swiss movements in their watches. I have one but there is no Swiss name on the movement.

I once read that they sometimes used Eterna movements.

Not worth a huge amount of money, but there ares some nice ones out there.

Here's mine (it was my father's watch)

Many thanks for the insight.

I did a bit of modest googling but came away with the impression they were merely the jewelers, not the manufacturer. Is there any tell take signs that would confirm that it's not just found it's way into a Garrards box?
    Last edited by Playsatan; 16th March 2013 at 00:26.

It is what is classed as Miscellaneous Swiss.

No name watches that were made up using generic cases and movements. Very many were made, I have owned a few of them. It could well have been retailed through Garrard.

It will date from the '30's-'40's and the only clue you may get is if the makers name is inscribed on the movement, unlikely but could happen.

A great heirloom to have.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    With that information I think you may have just convinced me to open it up and have a look. I'd thought about leaving well alone but curiosity has got the better of me.

I'm not bothered if knowing the maker affects the value one way or the other as I could never bring myself to sell it (or the others) anyway.