closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Google Reader stops. Which RSS reader to use?

Google Reader stops. Which RSS reader to use?

I'm an avid user of Google's RSS feed reader but today they announced that this service will stop July 1st 2013. Anybody who can recommend another product?

Don't be in a hurry. There's over three months to go and there'll be plenty of choice.

http://www.marco.org/2013/03/13/google-reader-sunset

I like Feedly.
    Has apps across lots of platforms
    More magazine style so takes a bit of getting used to, but it can be customised - Looks very attractive.
    2 way sync with google reader so quick and easy to try out and they've announced they'll handle the closure of google reader 'seamlessly' apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    I'm an avid user of Google's RSS feed reader but today they announced that this service will stop July 1st 2013. Anybody who can recommend another product?
    Oh... bloody hell ;(

There's been so much wailing and rending of togas over this, I wouldn't bet against Google reconsidering.

Re: Google Reader stops. Which RSS reader to use?

gReader is pretty good. I use it on my phone and tablet without any issues.

Master
    Not quite the same thing - but very RSS friendly is Netvibes.

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    gReader is pretty good. I use it on my phone and tablet without any issues.
    gReader will stop working when the Google Reader service is switched off since it's an app that uses the Google Reader API. The majority of Google Reader users use apps to access their feeds which minimises the advertising potential for Google and so reduces the financial viability of the service. I believe this is why Google is switching it off.

I'm looking at Feedly. The main reason for this is they say they are going to produce an identical API to Google's which means app developers will be able to piggy back off their service with minimal changes to their apps.

Re: Google Reader stops. Which RSS reader to use?

Really? Thanks for clearing that up. Will take a look at feedly. Its mostly just Hodinkee I follow at the moment anyway.

Master
    Yyep the pain is more the back end going than the front end. It means the source for all your feeds that currently are common across platforms regardless of choice of app is going. Real pain. Makes it much harder to use rss across a variety of platforms. Though really all you would need to do is store where you are in the cloud. But hopefully some replacements will appear. I quite like Feedly but find a more simple feed by feed view quicker to scan through rather than the magazine style

Master
    I've just been using currents, nice way to scan RSS feeds and some nice versions of magazines/newspapers as well, Currents picked up my existing Reader account feeds, I just need to select them and add to curents

Good summary of available options for when Google have killed Reader:

http://web.appstorm.net/roundups/rss...google-reader/