closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boxer vs Troll

Boxer vs Troll

This is ace:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...ple-to-us-all/

Fair play, it would certainly make all trolls think twice before abusing if there was the potential for retribution.

On the wider subject though, I genuinely don't get the point of abusing random celebrities on Twitter yet it seems there are lots of people who genuinely enjoy it. Looking through some of the comments which some famous people get on there, it's absolutely horrendous.

I think the world would be a far better place if anonimity on the internet (and forums in particular) was abolished. The lesson of this (and the recent child abuse allegations against a politician and the various cases in football) is that you can't hide if you step too far out of line.

People who do this kind of thing are clearly pathetic and inadequate, but they still manage to get under peoples skin.

I think part of the issue is that twitter/facebook etc. are there to 'voice' and express yourself. The fact that what 99.9999999% of people put there is pure noise, and therefore meaningless and inconsequential draws these freaks to up their game to get themselves out of the noise and into the signal - unfortunately vitriol is their weapon of choice.

A lack of anonymity would not stop it IMO, they just want attention. Equally, losing anonymity is not equivalent to everyone having access to details of where you live.

If the boxer had not made a return threat of a pasting to this chap, but instead just disclosed who he was, would he still have stopped? If he were not a boxer, but 'just a celeb' would he have been more or less likely to stop?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Great article & 100% spot on. I'm not a great one for twitter or facebook but the hate I've seen spat through these digital communities is frightening & all because they people believe that they are anonymous. Glad to see some victims are fighting back.

Brilliant. Good on the guy. I can't believe the stuff people think they can get away with (and that article details even worse stuff a bit further down).

I was wondering who will post the link here first.. problem is you never know how it plays out when you're taking matters into your own hands :)
    Last edited by VDG; 13th March 2013 at 19:38.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Trolls and journalists. Made from the same leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I think part of the issue is that twitter/facebook etc. are there to 'voice' and express yourself. The fact that what 99.9999999% of people put there is pure noise, and therefore meaningless and inconsequential draws these freaks to up their game to get themselves out of the noise and into the signal - unfortunately vitriol is their weapon of choice.

A lack of anonymity would not stop it IMO, they just want attention. Equally, losing anonymity is not equivalent to everyone having access to details of where you live.

If the boxer had not made a return threat of a pasting to this chap, but instead just disclosed who he was, would he still have stopped? If he were not a boxer, but 'just a celeb' would he have been more or less likely to stop?
    Disagree. They don't want attention, they want to do something their inconsequential lives have failed to deliver - they want to create an impact on something. And the internet allows them to do it without consequences. It's the same thought process that leads to vandalism in the real world - leaving your mark, albeit a negative one. Attention in the sense of being recognised as the leaver of the mark isn't part of it. Just leaving the mark and watching reaction to it is enough.

Removing anonimity would stop it because these people are exclusively nonentities and cowards. They have no desire or courage to stand behind their words.

Craftsman
    A friend of mine used to live on that road, on the junction with Derbyshire Lane.

I saw this on PH a few days ago and it amused me that I recognised it from the sign and the wall that it is attached to...

The trouble with the Internet is that it gave vast swathes of the public the impression their voice and opinion counted, when 9 times out of ten, it's nonsense from someone best ignored.