closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Love for the Modern Seiko Diver

Some Love for the Modern Seiko Diver

I've owned several 6309-7040s and 7049s and have always loved that era of Seiko diver. So when looking for a new diver last week I thought I'd give the modern SKX007 a go. I'm not disappointed.

For me, no Seiko diver beats the 7049 in its price range, but for a modern variant, this is very nice indeed. I made sure I sourced one with the jubilee and was able to buy new from an excellent UK on-line retailer in Yorkshire Watches. I've also ordered a Seiko Super-Oyster 2a from Will Jean.

I love the case shape of the 007; narrower at the 3 and 9 sides and slightly elongated through the lugs. The crown at 4 o'clock is in keeping with the vintage models and works really well.

The bezel turns crisply and smoothly and the lume is superb. I'm a big fan of the hands, especially the second hand which has a really nice balance to it. Timekeeping from the 7s26 automatic movement is exceptional at this price range.

All-in-all, a cracking watch at this price range.

A few pics,

David

Master
    At the price point , there's nothing to touch these . You'll not lose any money if you buy wisely , they're a good place to put you money :)

Both are classics. I have an 007 and two 6309-7040's. The matt black, almost grey color of the 007 dial is great. The shiny parts of the case give it something extra as well. I love both models. Pick them up and they run.
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 13th March 2013 at 08:36.

Fantastic watch.

I have a vintage 7C43 which outperforms almost everything on almost every level!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Both are classics. I have an 007 and two 6309-7040's. The maty black, aost grey color of the 007 dial is great. The shiny parts of the case give it something extra as well. I love both models. Pick them up and they run.
    Lovely, these are. Had an 009, really liked it. I'd include the monsters too: hard to find a better value watch.

Master
    Excellent watch. Probably the best bang for buck diver on the market.

I got a 007 on a jubilee last week and, having usurped my Chronomat, hasn't been off my wrist since. It's comfy on my wrist, looks more than the £130 I paid for it and the lime lights up the room once the lights are out. Deffo my new face until my Bremont arrives!

I had an 007 for a bit and will have an 009 at some point, but currently have the SKXA35 version, which is the same case and black bezel but with avery yellow 7002 style dial.

I couldn't agree more, I love my SKX007. Best watch you can buy for the money.

I've had a few over the years, each time I've sold one I've regretted it and had to get another not long after.

Although I've chosen to sell on a 009, a 7002 and a Sawtooth in the last two months I'm still a big Seiko fan (and my three Monsters aren't going anywhere!).

I can't claim to like the Jubilee bracelet much if I'm honest - I think you'll love the Super Oyster.

Enjoy the watch!

Simon

I couldn't agree more. I have had a 009 and a 007 and still have the 007. Exceptional watches for the money - and I would also put the Monsters in that category.

Regarding the super oysters: I have heard that the solid end links are not a 100% perfect fit to the lug profile? Can anyone confirm or disagree?

I have an old hollow end-linked super oyster that is Ok, but I'd get a solid end-linked one if I knew that it was going to fit properly. Bits sticking out above the lug profile would drive me nuts. Most photos I have seen of them appear to do just that.

This is my hollow end-link version.

I bought a Spork from Hellominky on here about 6 weeks ago and frankly it's pretty much perfect.
    Sure, I wish it had a hacking movement, but it keeps excellent time, looks beautiful and is easily the most legible watch i have ever owned.

I hardly wear anything else at the moment (although I have a feeling this will change in a few days with a likely incoming).

I have couple of 6309 and a 6105 but still go for modern version of 055 and 011 as I don't need to worry about water resistance.

The super oyster is a must not only it gives weight to the watch and makes it more "Rolex diver a-like"..like it or not.

Last edited by seikomatic; 13th March 2013 at 02:48.

Journeyman
    I can certainly understand the for that Seiko!
    If I had a collection, one like that would certainly be a welcome part of it. I really like the looks of the Jubilee bracelet on it, and also the crown postion. Looks like there is lots of room for size adjustment as well on that clasp.

Cheers,
    Carl

My favorite Seiko and one of my favorite watches overall. I have the J version now and I love it.

There are end links by Yobokies and wjean. I read yobokies are best fit and bought those for my 007 and 6309. Fit was great but I sold them as I prefer the look on rubber.

Keep in mind solid end links are nice but a bitch to change so if you are a frequent strap changer between NATO, Zulu, rubber and bracelet that might be something to consider if you are not very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I

Regarding the super oysters: I have heard that the solid end links are not a 100% perfect fit to the lug profile? Can anyone confirm or disagree?

I have an old hollow end-linked super oyster that is Ok, but I'd get a solid end-linked one if I knew that it was going to fit properly. Bits sticking out above the lug profile would drive me nuts. Most photos I have seen of them appear to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I think that this will help (solid end links, unfortunately I don't have these watches any more):

After receiving my first seiko this week (an orange monster on an oyster) I think an skx007 on the same will be my next purchase. Was very much drawn to them after seeing pics on here when I joined and I'm thoroughly impressed with the monster since its been on my wrist.

What is the general going rate for a good condition second hand one? Or is there much of a difference and I'd be as well to buy new?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've owned several 6309-7040s and 7049s and have always loved that era of Seiko diver. So when looking for a new diver last week I thought I'd give the modern SKX007 a go. I'm not disappointed.

For me, no Seiko diver beats the 7049 in its price range, but for a modern variant, this is very nice indeed. I made sure I sourced one with the jubilee and was able to buy new from an excellent UK on-line retailer in Yorkshire Watches. I've also ordered a Seiko Super-Oyster 2a from Will Jean.

I love the case shape of the 007; narrower at the 3 and 9 sides and slightly elongated through the lugs. The crown at 4 o'clock is in keeping with the vintage models and works really well.

The bezel turns crisply and smoothly and the lume is superb. I'm a big fan of the hands, especially the second hand which has a really nice balance to it. Timekeeping from the 7s26 automatic movement is exceptional at this price range.

All-in-all, a cracking watch at this price range.

A few pics,

David

I thought the date wheel had been rotated 90 degrees when I saw this!

Having owned a number of Seikos in the past, from 6309s to Monsters to Sumo to modded SKX007s to MM300 (4 times!) I must admit I'm tempted again to return one to the fold. There's something about the look, quality and pricepoint that means they can be worn as intended without too much fear of damage from daily and continuous wear and, should the opportunity arise, taking it underwater.

Cracking watch, but not really sure on the jubilee personally, think mine would go on a nato or rubber strap, albeit not the Z22 they often come with. Perhaps a Marinemaster or aftermarket waffle style...hmm

Fantastic price and watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andybhoy View Post
    After receiving my first seiko this week (an orange monster on an oyster) I think an skx007 on the same will be my next purchase. Was very much drawn to them after seeing pics on here when I joined and I'm thoroughly impressed with the monster since its been on my wrist.

What is the general going rate for a good condition second hand one? Or is there much of a difference and I'd be as well to buy new?
    If you buy new from creation, there is not a lot to be saved going 2nd hand :)

Master
    My BM, I love it!

Craftsman
    Agree with all sentiments here.

I had the 007 and gave it to my brother.

Regretted it ever since

But I have the older 1970's version to tide me over.

I have the utmost respect for Seiko as a watchmaker (and I use this term literally, as opposed to some who I would classify as "assemblers")
    Last edited by 2012; 13th March 2013 at 20:49. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    If you buy new from creation, there is not a lot to be saved going 2nd hand :)
    This used to be true but now with a guarenteed 20% customs charge and a £10 handling fee, the UK prices are now on par if you shop around. I got mine from Yorkshire Watches and it was within a couple of quid of the total price from Creation, which in turn means buying used from SC should be cheaper.

David

This used to be true but now with a guarenteed 20% customs charge and a £10 handling fee, the UK prices are now on par if you shop around. I got mine from Yorkshire Watches and it was within a couple of quid of the total price from Creation, which in turn means buying used from SC should be cheaper.

David

How many time have you been done on fees after ordering from Creation?

Its great to see Yorkshire Watches getting in the unusual models and doing a cracking job of selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    How many time have you been done on fees after ordering from Creation?

Its great to see Yorkshire Watches getting in the unusual models and doing a cracking job of selling them.
    In the last 12 months I've been done for customs every time I've ordered from outside the UK - without exception. I spoke to HMRC about it and they said they're hitting every parcel now. The bloke even said it's easy money and they should have done it years ago. Before that I hadn't been hit from Creation or anywhere / anyone else as they were just doing a % sample check so I'd got lucky.

Journeyman
    I thought about buying a 007 or 9 for ages but when I saw the 173 I knew that was the one for me. Same watch, movement etc but slightly different cosmetically. Plus the second hand is on the right way round.

Banned
    i love mine if i could get this rubbish photobucket to work i would post a pic.

suffice to say its on a black 22mm maratac NATO which is perfect.

Banned
    managed to get to one photo

Banned
    I got a wjean SEL super oyster for my SKX013, didn't like the fit of the end links, so not fitted it.
    i have also heard the Yobokies SELs are better.

In the last 12 months I've been done for customs every time I've ordered from outside the UK - without exception. I spoke to HMRC about it and they said they're hitting every parcel now. The bloke even said it's easy money and they should have done it years ago. Before that I hadn't been hit from Creation or anywhere / anyone else as they were just doing a % sample check so I'd got lucky.

Bugger! Thanks for the info, i too have never been charged but its been a while since i have ordered anything.

Bugger! Thanks for the info, i too have never been charged but its been a while since i have ordered anything.
    It's crap Mike. I bought an Omega from the US at the top end of its worth due to the condition it was in (it actually wasn't but that's another story :( ) but then I was seriously out of pocket once the Nazis at customs pulled my pants down.

Buy EU!

Love my SKX, the only niggle with mine is that the chapter ring is a tiny nudge out of alignment. I believe this is a very common issue.

I know a lot of guys who have bought from Creation in the last year, and I don't think one in the UK has been stung.

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    At the price point , there's nothing to touch these . You'll not lose any money if you buy wisely , they're a good place to put you money :)
    Oh yes there is!!!

Not saying that it's better or worst (I like the Citizen better but that's just my opinion) but it's a very close call.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov View Post
    Oh yes there is!!!

Not saying that it's better or worst (I like the Citizen better but that's just my opinion) but it's a very close call.
    Both look great, both tremendous value....if I hadn't just bought a new g-shock I think I would be very tempted

ATB

Jon

Oh yes there is!!!

I like the bezel, where the crown is and you can hand wind it. The worst bit is the case back.
    why did i sell my lume dial one and rare yellow dial!??

Seiko diver

Great looking watch and that dial design is so legible.
    I have a 7C43 which is great for someone who's eyesight isn't what it used to be!!

Journeyman
    Oh yes there is!!!

I've had an 007 on a jubilee for a while and it's a super watch - this looks great as well, though - all of a sudden I think I see one coming my way...

Generally I agree that Seiko divers offer huge value for your money - which is why I keep buying them I suppose. I use a battered Sawtooth as a daily wearer. Currently waiting for an Orange Monster off Amazon, where there are some cheap ones at present.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Lovely, these are. Had an 009, really liked it. I'd include the monsters too: hard to find a better value watch.
    Much as I admire the 007 (there are still a few in my watch box, all modded now) the Monster is better value, because at about the same price you get the solid link bracelet with extension as opposed to the rigid rubber Z22 or the appalling Jubilee.

Mine don't seem to get worn much any more, they always seem to lose out to the Spork or the SKA509 when I'm in a Seiko mood.

Master
    Agree that the SKX007 is unbeatable value and if you love the look of these but want "grab and go" readiness it's worth tracking down the quartz cousins.

Both the 7548 and 7C43 case design is virtually identical to the SKX's

7C43

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    or the appalling Jubilee.
    I'm curious, what makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    Love my SKX, the only niggle with mine is that the chapter ring is a tiny nudge out of alignment. I believe this is a very common issue.
    I agree - I quite often pick up mine in preference to other, much more expensive watches - even more so now I've put a leather strap on for day to day use, saving the rubber strap for holidays. The strap is a bit of a bitch to change, though - one side came out really easily but the other took a few goes to get the tool correctly on the spring bar.

The bezel slightly out of alignment with the marks is my only complaint.

I like the bezel, where the crown is and you can hand wind it. The worst bit is the case back.
    why did i sell my lume dial one and rare yellow dial!??
    I understand very well why you sold your full lume Citizen... it's not well done, as per usual with most makers. There shouldn't be no lume on the dots and hands if the dial is already lumed. Besides, it's a bit striking look, in the sense that it might look great at first but then you get tiered of it.

What's the problem with the case back? The not so sharp and deep etching?

Master
    Bad news for being hit for fees with creation - is this everyone's experience this year ? I've not paid anything twice last year :)

I had a mini monster via Creation a few weeks ago, no charges for me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    managed to get to one photo

that looks nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    I had a mini monster via Creation a few weeks ago, no charges for me
    Hopefully will stay that way :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The sumo has gone, I am left with a BFK (which no doubt will go soon) and this Samurai.

On the bracelet I wasn't bothered, but the Toshi really brings it to life. What a beater!!!

The BFK. Is what it is. Big and accurate.
    If anyone would like to swap a Yellow dial version Id be game. :-)

Last edited by jrpippen; 14th March 2013 at 20:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    The sumo has gone, I am left with a BFK (which no doubt will go soon) and this Samurai.

On the bracelet I wasn't bothered, but the Toshi really brings it to life. What a beater!!!

The BFK. Is what it is. Big and accurate.
    If anyone would like to swap a Yellow dial version Id be game. :-)

BFK is on my list of 'to own' :) drop me a line when you're ready to move it on please*