closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 100 years and counting ...

100 years and counting ...

My grandmother was 100 last week. Over the weekend, we had a lovely family party with numerous friends and family in Suffolk. Being born in 1913 and having lived all over the world, she has had, and is having, an amazing life. She still lives on her own in a bungalow, close to her eldest daughter, and is remarkably with it but obviously a little frail now.

It made me wonder how many other folk here have had close relatives reach this amazing age?

Good for her!

Got two gals in my extended family that are 97, still sharp as pins but now struggling a bit physically. Must be weird being that old, so many memories!

Banned
    Quite an achievement, and really something to celebrate, mind you I don't think I'll get anywhere near it.

Nor me! The reason I ask is that I have not found anyone else, at work or in our immediate social circle, who has a relative who has got to 100. But it can't be that uncommon can it?

100 years and counting ...

My great grandmother lived to beyond 100, which was good going 20 years ago (longevity is on the rise). I visit a dear friend every week, she is 96 years young, just moved into a nursing home last month. She has so many wonderful stories to tell (working at Bletchley Park, touring schools in Germany to assess Nazi teaching, etc), it really is a pleasure to spend 2 hours with her every week. Congratulations to your grandmother!

Nowhere near the venerable age of your grandmother but my mother-in-law is approaching 91 and zips 'round everywhere on a moped. I do wonder at what age she'll become a liability (to others if not herself) but she much prefers riding to driving her car.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    My great granny was 97 when she "retired". Not my family but .................. I used to deliver prescriptions for a local chemist. There were two sisters, who were 94 and 96. I arrived at their bungalow one day to find the 94 year old holding the stepladder for the 96 year old, who was cleaning the gutters out!

Mike

When you stop and think of all the changes and developments in the world that she will have seen in her 100 years .....it's just staggering.

Congratulations to her and may she have many more years in good health

Master
    Blog Entries
    The closest my family ever got was just shy of 98. Aside from deafness my Grandfather was sharp as a razor. Sadly a stroke and subsequently pneumonia took him quite quickly. I still miss the old fella.

My grandmother is 103, in a care home now, but only because she fell down and broke her thigh a year ago, we were amazed she recovered from the shock of that. Mind is going naturally....sometimes cant remember what she had for lunch, but can still tell you names of her first teachers at primary school!

Rgds
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    When you stop and think of all the changes and developments in the world that she will have seen in her 100 years .....it's just staggering.

Congratulations to her and may she have many more years in good health
    Thanks. She is amazing for her age and has had such a varied life. I found out quite a bit regarding her life from a short speech my dad made during the party. As you say, things have changed so dramatically in 100 years. She has shown an amazing ability to cope with the changes life brings. She was married for 52 years but, when her husband died in 1990, and aged around 82, she opened her house as a B&B and earnt hard cash for the first time in her life! I also loved the fact that she went out to India aged 19, as part of the 'fishing fleet' (I.e. looking for a husband amongst the army officers there) and telegrammed her father to say that she had found her future husband and had got engaged, "blissfully happy" in her words. Amazing.

Many happy returns to her, and hopefully many more!

Is it true that you get a letter from the Queen if you're lucky enough to reach 100? I'm sure I remember hearing that once, probably just an old wives tale!