closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you clean your watch?

Do you clean your watch?

I had the opportunity to do some work in one of the labs at work and the technician in there allowed me to have a play around with the agar perti dishes. I took some finger samples but thought it would be interesting to see how much bacteria was on my watch. Now I am not a total clean freak but I do give my watches a good clean every now and then. This all took place last Thursday and I got to take a look today after they had been incubated over the weekend.

The dish at the front is from the face of my watch the dish in the background is the watch back. I'm not sure what the bacteria is but it doesn't look good or smell good lol

Ps couldn't attach through photobucket, sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes.

Think I'll do the same next time I buy a used watch.

I have bought second-hand straps for my Panerai and the first thing I do is fill a washing up bowl full of soapy water and give the straps (and buckles) a good scrub with a nailbrush.

Journeyman
    I've put my garage/garden/diy G Shock in the dishwasher a few times. No problems so far.

every night when I take one of a quick rub up all over with a touch screen cloth and the also get an occaisional scrub with a soft brush when soaped up in the shower.

When a watch has done it's weeks work it gets a dry scrub with a toothbrush and then rubbed over with an old silvercloth

Oh yes. And out comes the "Cleaning Kit"

I use a "Seaweed" based solution and mixed with some fairy liquid really does keep all the bits and pieces clean and tidy

regards
    T

I wouldn't worry too much, looks like general Staphylococcus your skin is crawling with them! I clean mine regularly with a lint free cloth.

Journeyman
    At least once a week, with Veraet. I swear by it! From the website: "These products offer a safe, superior alternative to generic jewelry cleaners and soaps sold by retailers. Enjoyed and loved by watch enthusiasts in over 31 countries for their high-quality, superior cleaning results."

When I feel ambitious, I use a Sunshine cloth as well to remove tarnish, oxidization etc. From the package: "Safely cleans jewelry, gold, silver, brass, copper, glass, mirrors and most other surfaces, leaving a deep, long-lasting lustre:

A lot of people on the watch forums use both these products. The Veraet leaves a sparkle like I have never seen before on my watches. I used to use a soft soap, but this does build up a residue, and can build up a bit over time and affect the seal of the watch inside the crown. So I am told.

These items are not expensive. And they are both available easily on eBay.

Cheers,
    Carl

Master
    Blog Entries

Do yu clean your watch?

er...no, well not very often