closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mark 7 VW Golf

Mark 7 VW Golf

Wife test drove one last week and said it was great

Then specced up the model she wanted - auto, leather etc and it comes to £27k !!!! That's seems nearly BMW 3 series territory so just wondering if people have any suggestions for (a) what would be a good dealer discount and (b) where you can spec a car and get a decent lease deal (most lease offers seem to be for mid-spec cars without the kit she wants)

She tends to keep her cars for about 5 years and does low mileage of 8k pa so ownership has usually worked out more cost effective for us

All feedback great fully received

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Then specced up the model she wanted - auto, leather etc and it comes to £27k !!!! That's seems nearly BMW 3 series territory so just wondering if people have any suggestions for (a) what would be a good dealer discount and (b) where you can spec a car and get a decent lease deal (most lease offers seem to be for mid-spec cars without the kit she wants)

She tends to keep her cars for about 5 years and does low mileage of 8k pa so ownership has usually worked out more cost effective for us

http://www.carleasingmanchester.co.uk/. Use these mate my pal has used them. You will get a good deal and your wife can spec the car up however this will delay delivery up to 16 weeks in some cases

Banned
    I have a friend who will get one of these soon, the salesman gave him a go in the parking assisted version, but he managed to bump it while reverse parking

Master
    I have had a Golf company car for the past 4 or 5 cars but my new one which is arriving next week is the brand new model Audi A3 S-line I am so looking forward to it.

The Golf I have had for the past 3 years is the superb GTD model and I still love this car I also love the new one but I fancied a change

I hope you get sorted out they really are great cars

Andy

Master
    I have ordered, albeit for my parents, the new Golf GT 1.4 TSi ACT DSG and the discount was 11%. I can recommend an online broker and the dealer I have been introduced to as a result (much better than any salesmen we spoke when deciding between the Golf and the A3). I would also recommend getting the 3 year service and 5 year warranty packs as well.

The car has been built but is awaiting shipping from Emden docks in Germany. Hope to have it by the end of the month.

Journeyman
    Drive the deal get a very good reputation and you still get to pick up your car from the main dealer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Playsatan View Post
    Drive the deal get a very good reputation and you still get to pick up your car from the main dealer.
    That's exactly who I used, and for a second time, and fortunately the dealer is relatively local to me as well so collection is viable (the first time the car was delivered from a Scottish dealer on a transporter).

Master
    ...it comes to £27k !!!! That's seems nearly BMW 3 series territory...
    I'm neither a VW fan or a BMW hater. This genuinely puzzles me; why is this a problem? They seem to be pretty much on a par to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    I'm neither a VW fan or a BMW hater. This genuinely puzzles me; why is this a problem? They seem to be pretty much on a par to me.
    The 1 series BMW is more on a par with the Golf than the 3 series but I bet that you could easily spec up a 120D to £27k!

Got my Golf Mk7 (2.0 TDI SE) some 8 weeks ago and love it.

A decent main dealer will match or beat whatever they offer.

The broker business model is robust but there are much better companies out there. Also if you are looking at Contract Hire (personal or business leasing) the cost of every option over standard will increase the rentals.........therefore there are better ways to fund it as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    The 1 series BMW is more on a par with the Golf than the 3 series but I bet that you could easily spec up a 120D to £27k!

Got my Golf Mk7 (2.0 TDI SE) some 8 weeks ago and love it.
    I have a company car and most of my colleagues drive 3 series BMWs.

I got some ribbing when I deviated from what I saw as "the boring choice" and opted for a Golf instead. I went for the GTD and when it turned up none of my colleagues continues taking the mick all realising that it was not a bad call.

You don't have to try that hard to spec a golf to £30k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    A decent main dealer will match or beat whatever they offer.

The broker business model is robust but there are much better companies out there. Also if you are looking at Contract Hire (personal or business leasing) the cost of every option over standard will increase the rentals.........therefore there are better ways to fund it as a result.
    It's not always the case. Many manufacturers will negotiate special fleet discounts for some of the leasing companies who pass the benefits on to their respective brokers. I was a director of a leasing company from 98-05 and we'd often be able to do deals that our main dealer suppliers couldn't get near. I know some of the manufacturers have since been trying to move business back to the dealer but not all. Regarding options, it will depend upon the effect that any given option will have upon the residual value. Items such as leather, sat nav and metallic paint can have beneficial effects on the residual and so cost less than their actual cost when averaged out in a monthly rental - in fact with some of the leasing companies, metallic paint could actually reduce a monthly rental as it was deemed that the value of a vehicle with metallic would be worth more than a vehicle without by more than the original cost of the metallic paint (Lex Vehicle Leasing were famous for that).

thanks for all the responses

the actual spec she wants comes at a list price of £27,474; Drive the Deal will do it for £24,361.72

Any other suggestions for car brokers ? Anyone with any experience of waving the broker offers in front of the dealer and getting a better result ?

Master
    Any other suggestions for car brokers ? Anyone with any experience of waving the broker offers in front of the dealer and getting a better result ?
    In my experience the absolute best they will do is match it, if they really need the sale, and usually slag off DTD in the process saying how they can't get allocation etc. Don't believe a word of it!

For the convenience factor it may be worth trying this at a couple of your local dealers first.

Journeyman
    thanks for all the responses

the actual spec she wants comes at a list price of £27,474; Drive the Deal will do it for £24,361.72

Print off the quote and walk into your local dealer with it. Be up front with the salesman and tell him what you want and the best deal you've found so far. If he wants the business and has the margin it's an easy sale for him, if he doesn't there's no harm done and no-ones been messed about.

In a world of time wasters they probably thank you for your honesty.

I visited a VW dealer armed with What Car? Target Price and a few printouts from brokers. They didn't budge and offered next to no discount and didn't offer me a test drive.

I went next door to BMW and bought a 1 series M Sport and I'm glad I did. It was always my first choice and maybe the VW salesman realised it. I wasn't ready for a Golf though. It might be a well spec'd car but I thought it was very boring inside and out. The GTi and next gen Scirocco might be on my radar though.

Journeyman

Hang on for the new GTD.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycraig View Post
    Hang on for the new GTD.
    she does about 8,000 miles a year on mostly short journeys so the the new 1.4 ACT petrol seems to be the way to go. Too many problems with diesels on short journeys / slow to warm up to efficient operating temp / additional outlay / more expensive fuel.

Have had a quote from Manchester leasing which one of you kindly recommended of £315 per month plus VAT (3 + 35 profile). Would be a lot cheaper without the auto and leather she requires !

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    It's not always the case. Many manufacturers will negotiate special fleet discounts for some of the leasing companies who pass the benefits on to their respective brokers. I was a director of a leasing company from 98-05 and we'd often be able to do deals that our main dealer suppliers couldn't get near. I know some of the manufacturers have since been trying to move business back to the dealer but not all. Regarding options, it will depend upon the effect that any given option will have upon the residual value. Items such as leather, sat nav and metallic paint can have beneficial effects on the residual and so cost less than their actual cost when averaged out in a monthly rental - in fact with some of the leasing companies, metallic paint could actually reduce a monthly rental as it was deemed that the value of a vehicle with metallic would be worth more than a vehicle without by more than the original cost of the metallic paint (Lex Vehicle Leasing were famous for that).

You will never get the best deal possible dealing with any retail dealership......the best deals are always via the Corporate departments and the brokerage companies they work with.

This is exactly what happens with my own brokerage business so I speak from current experience.

Print off the quote and walk into your local dealer with it. Be up front with the salesman and tell him what you want and the best deal you've found so far. If he wants the business and has the margin it's an easy sale for him, if he doesn't there's no harm done and no-ones been messed about.

In a world of time wasters they probably thank you for your honesty.

Good post. Especially in respect of the last sentence........ahem..........lol

Master
    she does about 8,000 miles a year on mostly short journeys so the the new 1.4 ACT petrol seems to be the way to go. Too many problems with diesels on short journeys / slow to warm up to efficient operating temp / additional outlay / more expensive fuel.

Have had a quote from Manchester leasing which one of you kindly recommended of £315 per month plus VAT (3 + 35 profile). Would be a lot cheaper without the auto and leather she requires !
    That's the same model we went for and for exactly the same reasons. We also opted for the leather interior, which is mightily expensive, as it comes with heated/electric seats, however there was error regarding the memory feature so they were ditched in favour of the standard cloth/alcantara ones.

Bought the Mrs a brand new X1 from a main dealer in Aug 2011, added a few bits to it (nice alloys, leather etc) and it came in at £26.5k. Although that was with a pretty hefty dealer discount, I definitely think its worth taking a look at what BMW could offer. Personally I think the new 1 series is a more interesting proposition than the Golf these days, only IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Bought the Mrs a brand new X1 from a main dealer in Aug 2011, added a few bits to it (nice alloys, leather etc) and it came in at £26.5k. Although that was with a pretty hefty dealer discount, I definitely think its worth taking a look at what BMW could offer. Personally I think the new 1 series is a more interesting proposition than the Golf these days, only IMO of course.
    i am a big BMW fan having had several over the years...however we live at the bottom of a steep road and with 1 inch snow rear wheel drive is useless ....hence i dropped my beloved 325i sport coupe for an A5 quattro. Wife is downsizing from an XC90 so front wheel drive essential (I can't be arsed with that winter tyre changing)

My first thought is "bonkers money for a small hatchback".

It's also my second thought.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

I would have to agree with you there.

i am a big BMW fan having had several over the years...however we live at the bottom of a steep road and with 1 inch snow rear wheel drive is useless ....hence i dropped my beloved 325i sport coupe for an A5 quattro. Wife is downsizing from an XC90 so front wheel drive essential (I can't be arsed with that winter tyre changing)
    She went for the S drive so the seemingly more regular snow causes us a couple of issues too!

I'm a big fan of the A5, good choice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Agreed.

at 27 grand new for a golf , it may be worth leasing;

http://www.freedomcontracts.com/vw-golf-lease