closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for the monster owners....

Question for the monster owners....

Morning Gents

I recently purchased an orange monster when they were going cheap on amazon. It arrived on Friday and I am very impressed with it I have to say.

One thing I have noticed which I wanted to clarify with the bank of knowledge that exists on here is to do with winding it up.

It was running when it arrived which was fine but I didn't actually put it on until this morning. It had stopped yesterday evening but when i lifted it this morning it started running again, which is fine.

I wanted to give it a full wind obviously so when I unscrewed the crown and started to wind it there doesn't seem to be much resistance, if any, when turning the crown in the winding position.

Is this the case with anyone elses? It may just be me being overly worried but compared to my Oris it doesn't actually feel like the mechanism is getting wound at all.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Andy

Morning Andy.

It's a "shake 'n' go". There is no 'winding' as such. You don't need to worry at all.

Also, I noticed with a new Seiko 5 'Monster' I got which is the same 'shake 'n' go' as yours - that it stops pretty soon (within half a day at most) after you take it off. I don't believe this is anything to worry about either.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Morning Andy.

It's a "shake 'n' go". There is no 'winding' as such. You don't need to worry at all.

Also, I noticed with a new Seiko 5 'Monster' I got which is the same 'shake 'n' go' as yours - that it stops pretty soon (within half a day at most) after you take it off. I don't believe this is anything to worry about either.

Hope this helps.
    Perfect thank you for the quick reply.

I did think it may be something along those lines I just was thrown slightly due to the instruction manual mentioning the 'winding' position in the description of the different crown positions.

I was hoping it would run a little longer than that as it is going to be worn in continuous rotation with my other watches during the week but there isn't much I can do about that :)

Thanks again!!

All Seiko 7sX6 movement watches - including the Monster - are auto-only. They do not have a manual wind capability.

EDIT: oops! Too slow, I see. You should get 40+ hours power reserve when it is fully wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Andybhoy View Post
    Perfect thank you for the quick reply.

I did think it may be something along those lines I just was thrown slightly due to the instruction manual mentioning the 'winding' position in the description of the different crown positions.

I was hoping it would run a little longer than that as it is going to be worn in continuous rotation with my other watches during the week but there isn't much I can do about that :)

Thanks again!!
    If you wear it for a couple of days, it should have a 40-odd hour reserve after being fully auto-wound.

Brilliant guys thank you, I'll keep it on my wrist for a few days then to give it its full wind.

Appreciate the responses thanks.

Master
    When mines in rotation I can leave it for 24 hours without moving and it's fine . Annoying you can't hand wind but its a robust and simple movement that will last for years :)

I have three and I would second everything that's been said - a fully wound Monster will certainly give you a lot more than 24 hours reserve. The lack of hand winding and hacking has never been an issue for me I must say...

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    All Seiko 7sX6 movement watches - including the Monster - are auto-only. They do not have a manual wind capability.

EDIT: oops! Too slow, I see. You should get 40+ hours power reserve when it is fully wound.
    You'll be lucky to get that. The 7s26 and 7s36 seem to have about 32 or 34 hours reserve in practice, based on the dozen or so that I own. On the plus side, they do start up really easily and are quite good about gaining power reserve.

Master

Re: Question for the monster owners....

You can buy the new Monster. It has manual winding too.
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    On the plus side, they do start up really easily and are quite good about gaining power reserve.
    Yep.
    In my opinion, they have bidirectional winding, better than the Miyota with the unidirectional winding.

Master
    The final point to cover all your queries - the generic Seiko usage guide they include with these covers 101 different models, some with crown winding and some not.
    As ever, a Japanese product is great value and technically excellent, and the manual that comes with it is a total disaster.

You'd have thought they'd have sorted it by now!

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    The final point to cover all your queries - the generic Seiko usage guide they include with these covers 101 different models, some with crown winding and some not.
    As ever, a Japanese product is great value and technically excellent, and the manual that comes with it is a total disaster.

You'd have thought they'd have sorted it by now!
    Again thank you for the wealth of replies.

It was this point that threw me this morning when looking at the manual but I must admit (given it was a 5.30 start this morning.....) that thought didn't cross my mind. Now in the cold of the night it's fairly obvious and I do feel a bit daft shall we say

Journeyman
    Interesting thing with my BM (7s26), It looses 5 seconds for day on the wrist and 1 sec over night during sleep sitting face up.
    A good vigorous shake for a minute in the morning and the seconds hand jumps forward to put it 6 seconds ahead of GMT.
    Not sure if "vigorous" or fast shaking is bad for it but its been consistent within 6 seconds for six months.
    Im thinking about getting it sped up a tad, Would be spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemlok View Post
    Interesting thing with my BM (7s26), It looses 5 seconds for day on the wrist and 1 sec over night during sleep sitting face up.
    A good vigorous shake for a minute in the morning and the seconds hand jumps forward to put it 6 seconds ahead of GMT.
    Not sure if "vigorous" or fast shaking is bad for it but its been consistent within 6 seconds for six months.
    Im thinking about getting it sped up a tad, Would be spot on.
    I can't see how anything in the movement could make it 'jump' forward like that.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Yeh, Im not sure if it jumps or runs very fast for a short time while fast winding when its fully wound.
    Someone must know?
    Mind you I would not do it to a high end watch, a new 7s26 movement is relatively cheap.

Journeyman
    2 monsters here. both run + 7 seconds a day. love this watch

Craftsman
    I have an Orange Monster and I never shake it vigorously.

It will start ticking awayalmost as soon as I pick it up and put it on my wrist. I usually swing it through a horizontal arc to give it a good start. Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference to its accuracy whether I wear it constantly, take it off every night and leave it in different positions or put it on a watchwinder.

I don't think I would feel very happy about shaking any watch vigorously.

But I love the watch and wear it a lot.

Master
    Mine runs about a minute fast a day at the moment - not tragic but I'd prefer spot on . Are these easy to regulate ?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Mine runs about a minute fast a day at the moment - not tragic but I'd prefer spot on . Are these easy to regulate ?
    Yes, they are easy to regulate.
    You have to be careful though, not to move the regulator too much at a time. Just do it by trial and error.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    Yes, they are easy to regulate.
    You have to be careful though, not to move the regulator too much at a time. Just do it by trial and error.
    Have to try it when I'm feeling brave and not at all shaky :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Have to try it when I'm feeling brave and not at all shaky :)
    Yep. And be careful not to damage the mainspring while doing it.

If I remember correctly, I used a toothpick (it's pointy enough and it won't break cause the pressure applied is very small).

Yep. And be careful not to damage the mainspring while doing it.

If I remember correctly, I used a toothpick (it's pointy enough and it won't break cause the pressure applied is very small).
    Also, a toothpick is pretty certain to be non-magnetic, which is a good thing when fiddling around in watches :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Also, a toothpick is pretty certain to be non-magnetic, which is a good thing when fiddling around in watches :)
    That didn't cross my mind when choosing the proper tool for doing the operation but you're quite right.

Master
    That didn't cross my mind when choosing the proper tool for doing the operation but you're quite right.
    Thanks for the advice - a project for next week I think

Master

No problem.
    Please come back with the results after the regulation.