closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spicy food

Master

Spicy food

How hot do you like it? Just tucking into some M&S Thai prawn fish cakes and they are positively nuclear! Was not expecting this, they looked so innocuous! Burning tongue and runny nose ahoy. I like a bit of heat, but never been one of the super hot curry brigade, I like to be able to taste what I'm eating

I make my own chilli sauce which is basically just a fried onion and some carrot, a dash of vinegar and some water and sugar, and a bucket full of raw scotch bonnets. I call it the 1tsp vindaloo. It seems to do the trick.

Banned
    Has anyone tried M&S Terifically Hot Mustard? Ouch! I put too much on, it hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I make my own chilli sauce which is basically just a fried onion and some carrot, a dash of vinegar and some water and sugar, and a bucket full of raw scotch bonnets. I call it the 1tsp vindaloo. It seems to do the trick.
    +1. I just made a huge jar of scotch bonnet pepper sauce, based on the Bajan recipe with lots of mustard. Super hot, super delicious.

I generally love very spicy food, Thai in particular but not only.

I like to be challenged by my food, and I view a bit of sweating and blowing of the nose to be part of the fun, but oddly, I can get shocking hiccups from very spicy food - which drives my wife mad.

I love Indian grub and a beer - usually stick to Madras strength - it's the next day I sufferlol

Rod

I don't know if you find the same, but when I'm making the stuff it's like tear gas. And since I never measure anything, just go by taste, after the 3rd or 4th alteration I've usually got though all the beer in the house and started on the fish tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I don't know if you find the same, but when I'm making the stuff it's like tear gas. And since I never measure anything, just go by taste, after the 3rd or 4th alteration I've usually got though all the beer in the house and started on the fish tank.
    Yeah, and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I love Indian grub and a beer - usually stick to Madras strength - it's the next day I suffer lol
    Burns both ends....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How apt, Ive just done a chicken madras with garlic naan.

Very tasty and has cleared my head cold a little.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce or Blair's Original Death sauce hot!

I'm currently getting through a bottle of Encona original (using it like ketchup) but have a bottle of the Extra Hot which I'm hoping will have more kick.

Nando's has to be extra hot (with more extra hot sauce).

I think my taste buds may be broken.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce or Blair's Original Death sauce hot!

I'm currently getting through a bottle of Encona original (using it like ketchup) but have a bottle of the Extra Hot which I'm hoping will have more kick.
    Try Barons, it's traditional mustard Bajun pepper sauce. Really good and with a great taste.

How hot?

This hot:

A spoonful will suffice in a pan-full of any dish if you like 'hot'. Trust me on this.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

love a bit of spicy food! the wife's always putting extra chillies/seeds/powder in dinner.

I don't really enjoy many hot sauces, I find the taste too thin.

However, I absolutely love cooking with chillies and buy a big bag of rocket or finger chillies every week.

My green curry is like tasty nuclear waste. I'll use maybe 8 or so mashed up in the paste, half a dozen chopped up in the sauce and chuck in a dozen or so whole to chew on. The first mouthful is always worrying, but after the third or so the pain dissipates and the chilli high kicks in. Amazing.

Spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Has anyone tried M&S Terifically Hot Mustard? Ouch! I put too much on, it hurt.
    Where did you put it.

I love chilli heat, but can't manage hot Indian curry, not sure why.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Satan's Shit is excellent if you like hot AND flavoursome, made by Chili Pepper Pete, here in Sussex...

http://www.chillipepperpete.com/prod...te_-_55ml.html

Been going through some of Dave's Insanity Sauce for the past six months.
    I bought a nice limited reserve as a gift for a friend a couple of years ago... came in its own presentation coffin!

Grand Master
    Local Indian normally sorts me out with a Rara Chicken but tonight we had a cheapo Spicy Lamb pizza and was just right
    RIAC

Banned
    I like my food spicy, so one night ordered a Phal. I've never had anything do hot you can actually still feel it burning in your stomach.
    I don't suppose drinking neat Jack Daniels with it helped either

Quote Originally Posted by Slad View Post
    Been going through some of Dave's Insanity Sauce for the past six months.
    I bought a nice limited reserve as a gift for a friend a couple of years ago... came in its own presentation coffin!
    Another sauce that's in my cupboard.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Oh yes.. ANY of my Thai meals are accompanied by Prik Nam Plah, and it comes on top of the industrial native strenghth stuff ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

The hotter the better, my usual at the local Indian is a phaal (or however you're supposed to spell it...) with a side plate of fresh chopped finger chillies. Yum!

Usually have 3 or 4 different bottles of mega hot chilli sauce or paste on the go, there are a few in the fridge right now. I've been to the Benington Lordship chilli festival a couple of times, usually end up trying to burn a hole or two in my tongue and having to sit down for a while when the endorphin rush kicks in

Being Asian, I grew up on some pretty spicy food. Since I moved out some ten years ago, I don't tend to have it half as much - my tolerance has gone down, although I still like pretty hot food now and again.

No point in completely masking the taste of the actual food with ridiculous amounts of spice though.

That said, I'm quite happy to have a good old sweat in the privacy of my own house .
    It's also good for metabolism , sweating out toxins and sweating is good for the skin too.

Just cut a chilli and add some lemon juice, soak up on a cotton wool ball and apply directly to the sphinctre, cut out the middle man.
    My tolerance for hot and spicy food is diminishing with age, forget the morning after, these days its the 40 minutes plus spent on the throne with stomach cramps thinking "shoot, i'm going to regret this in the morning" that i don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I don't really enjoy many hot sauces, I find the taste too thin.

However, I absolutely love cooking with chillies and buy a big bag of rocket or finger chillies every week.

My green curry is like tasty nuclear waste. I'll use maybe 8 or so mashed up in the paste, half a dozen chopped up in the sauce and chuck in a dozen or so whole to chew on. The first mouthful is always worrying, but after the third or so the pain dissipates and the chilli high kicks in. Amazing.
    That's a good way of putting it. I couldn't put my finger on it but there is definitely a certain something lacking when you just add ' hot sauce' as an afterthought to any old food.

Real depth of flavour or 'heat' (I hate that term almost as much as 'fry off) comes from a good marinade and cooking the meat etc. with good chilli/curry powder.

Master
    When it comes to curry, I often find that in most places, heat is used as a substitute for depth of taste. The mark (for me) of a good Indian is being able to produce something that has depth and layers of flavour without resorting to weapons-grade hotness. If I'm eating at a bog-standard place with an Anglo-Indian menu where I'm not familiar with the food, I'll generally order a madras, but my favourite place has an excellent specials board and good front of house, so I'll normally just say how hungry I am and let them choose - it's striking how rarely any of the specials menu could ever really be called hot in the vindaloo or phaal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    Satan's Shit is excellent if you like hot AND flavoursome, made by Chili Pepper Pete, here in Sussex...

http://www.chillipepperpete.com/prod...te_-_55ml.html

I tucked into this at the Chilli Festival last year, and it absolutely ruined me. Im not shy with spicy/hot sauces but it was devastating.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Being Asian, I grew up on some pretty spicy food. Since I moved out some ten years ago, I don't tend to have it half as much - my tolerance has gone down, although I still like pretty hot food now and again.

No point in completely masking the taste of the actual food with ridiculous amounts of spice though.

That said, I'm quite happy to have a good old sweat in the privacy of my own house .
    It's also good for metabolism , sweating out toxins and sweating is good for the skin too.
    I'm also Asian, and love spicy food, but I agree that there's little point is blowing your mind with super hot stuff, as it takes away from the other flavours in your food. For me, chilli is another flavour, and not the end all and be all.

Banned
    Also Asian and to be honest I can't stand very Spicy Indian food as the heat from the Chilli's and spice seem to linger longer than the Chillis from a good Mexican or Nandos.

Whenever the wife and I go out for an Indians I usually choose a good mixed grill or Lamb Ghoust.

Medium for me, love a bit of heat but I've got to be able to taste the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    When it comes to curry, I often find that in most places, heat is used as a substitute for depth of taste. The mark (for me) of a good Indian is being able to produce something that has depth and layers of flavour without resorting to weapons-grade hotness. If I'm eating at a bog-standard place with an Anglo-Indian menu where I'm not familiar with the food, I'll generally order a madras, but my favourite place has an excellent specials board and good front of house, so I'll normally just say how hungry I am and let them choose - it's striking how rarely any of the specials menu could ever really be called hot in the vindaloo or phaal sense.
    Agreed. I like spicy food but all too often this means 'hot' rather than tasty. Thai in particular seems to skip the taste bit and just be pure heat. Don't really see the point if your gob's on fire after the first mouthful...unless of course that is the point!

Master
    I love all spicy food - which living in Harrow and all the "Indian" restaurants in the area, makes it easy for me to be kept happy.

However, have moved away from just hot to spicy, to enjoy the food more.

I like medium ish, so I go up to a Rogan Josh at my local. It's just right for me. Nomnomnom

Master
    Hot going in is good but i suffer the other end.

Curry heat varies depending on locallity I had a Vindaloo in Cambridge and i think they put an extra Oxo cube in, i have had a Madras in London that burnt like billyo

I like it hot, but not stupidly do.

Vindaloo curry is about my limit & occasionally that's a bit too hot.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    How hot?

This hot:

A spoonful will suffice in a pan-full of any dish if you like 'hot'. Trust me on this.

R
    Good stuff! But see also this:

Amazing on one of the Rib Man's rib rolls... and in anything else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    Hot going in is good but i suffer the other end.

Curry heat varies depending on locallity I had a Vindaloo in Cambridge and i think they put an extra Oxo cube in, i have had a Madras in London that burnt like billyo
    I suspect it varies more restaurant to restaurant than place to place, but having said that, I generally found Sheffield curries to be hotter than London ones. What was genuinely surprising though is that every Indian we had in New Zealand was for some dishes the polar opposite of what you'd expect in the UK, so a madras was mild and creamy, a korma robust and hot and so on. I assume it's just a case of non-authentic menus evolving down different paths, but it'd be nice to think it was a result of NZ being on the other side of the world and generally upside down.

Interesting how tastes differ. For me spicy doesn't necessarily have to mean the dish is volcanic. I don't enjoy anything too hot as the heat tends to mask the flavours for me.

We're lucky to have a huge local choice of Indian restaurants and I've diligently sampled them all (for statistical robustness of course).

Our favourite is amazing and has a huge range of veggie options. Eating one of their dishes is like a flavour filled journey. To enjoy it fully I think you need a tongue that hasn't been freshly anaesthetised.

I do, however, have great respect those who like walk on the wilder, 'toilet roll in the fridge' side of life.

jeff

Craftsman
    I like hot food.....

My wife is from northern Thailand and they DO some stuff up there... not yer normal Thai food.... She makes a Som Tam and the chilli's are counted... by the handful... hot but it is balanced by sweet, sour, salty tastes... No problems the day after...

I make a Burmese curry that uses chilli powder, fresh and dried chilli..that works out freakin' hot but is balanced with other flavours too. My wife cannot eat it, too hot for her.. but I find it's not as hot as some of the stuff she cooks.

When we go out for Indian food we normally ask for a dish of fresh chilli's, freaks 'em out...

Hot food....LOVE it...

I make my own chilli sauce, an Indonesian Sambal.

Super easy, takes less than 10 mins and obviously I can control the heat. I like it very hot but not insane.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post

My wife is from northern Thailand and they DO some stuff up there... not yer normal Thai food.... She makes a Som Tam and the chilli's are counted... by the handful... hot but it is balanced by sweet, sour, salty tastes... No problems the day after...

The spiciest meal I've ever had was a Lao Papaya Salad. The idea, I think, is that the cool of the papaya will take the edge off the chili.

My wife fainted and I needed two bowls of rice to cool my mouth down.

Re: Spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I make my own chilli sauce, an Indonesian Sambal.

Super easy, takes less than 10 mins and obviously I can control the heat. I like it very hot but not insane.
    Can you share the recipe? Fancy making my own sauce

Blog Entries
    It's precisely this kind of dialogue that makes this place what is is - brilliant !
    Keep it going !!!!
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Good stuff! But see also this:

Amazing on one of the Rib Man's rib rolls... and in anything else.
    Love the name!!

Ralphy sent me one last year which was nice - sorry mate, cannot for the life of me remember which one but it was damn hot!!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Love the name!!

Ralphy sent me one last year which was nice - sorry mate, cannot for the life of me remember which one but it was damn hot!!
    His "normal" sauce is called Holy F*ck. The uber-stuff is called Holy Mother of G*d, and he's just released a fairly mild, oregano-led barbecue sauce called Mother Inferior...

When I eat out with Indians we tend to drink lime juice, mint leaves and soda. Totally sorts out the next day issues. No idea how but definitely works. Not seen it in the uk though.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Just cut a chilli and add some lemon juice, soak up on a cotton wool ball and apply directly to the sphinctre, cut out the middle man.
    My tolerance for hot and spicy food is diminishing with age, forget the morning after, these days its the 40 minutes plus spent on the throne with stomach cramps thinking "shoot, i'm going to regret this in the morning" that i don't like.
    That's me mate. After years and years of doing my body serious damage with hot food my arse simply can't cope with it any more. I limit myself to the heat of a Jalfreizi these days other wise I'm on the bog all night with cramps and a burning hoop

I've been on medication for over ten years for the effects of a stomach ulcer although I don't have an ulcer, I have given myself a sensitive stomach lining with years of stupid food.

Respect to those still doing it though.

David

Hottest thing I've had was in Thailand. No idea what was in it but I knew it was hot when I started to lose my hearing...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Agreed. I like spicy food but all too often this means 'hot' rather than tasty. Thai in particular seems to skip the taste bit and just be pure heat. Don't really see the point if your gob's on fire after the first mouthful...unless of course that is the point!
    Indeed. In fact the owner of one of my favourite curry establishments refers to some other restaurants as offering two pinters, four pinters, six punters, up to the strictly for the serious Lager drinkers, the Tindaloos which he rates as a ten pinter, that's Lager of course.

Master
    Last time we did the curry mile in Manchester I ordered a Phaal. Had it off the Asda curry counter when the footie was on (last world cup I think) and they had some special stuff in, and it was pretty good. Hotter than a Madras but not noticeably worse than a vindaloo really.

My word, Asda must water it down a bit, because a proper Indian prepared Phaal is rocket fuel!!
    I ate maybe half and it took 4 or 5 bottles of lager and a jug of water to get that deep into it.

I love spicy food, but that was toooo much.