closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAS drive disappeared!

NAS drive disappeared!

I installed a NAS drive a few months ago and after attaching it as a network drive, it appeared as a drive in Windows Explorer and I could access it like any other drive (drive Z). The other day it disappeared from Windows Explorer yet I can still access the drive over wi-fi using the IP address. Any suggestions on how I might get it to appear as a valid drive in Windows Explorer again?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

From the CMD window it used to be something like

Code:
    net use Z: \\ip.address.here\name
    Where "name" was the name of the share.

Someone more up to date will be along shortly

Paul

Think you have to re-map it.

In file explorer right-click 'Computer' then 'Map Network Drive' and enter details.

Mine disappear occasionally for no obvious reason.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th March 2013 at 11:47.

Eddie,

I recall your thread a few months ago regarding this. Firstly, in order to see your drive you'll need to remap it: enter the IP address or name in the WINDOWS (Not Internet) Explorer address bar and hit Enter. When you can see the folder right click on it and select 'Map Network Drive.'

As a matter of interest, which ISP are you with? I ask as the issue of not being able to see the NAS as part of the network without entering the IP address has been cured for me by swapping out my BT Homehub 2 for a BT Homehub 3. As soon as I did this the NAS was visible without any fettling.

Regards

Skier

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Eddie,

I recall your thread a few months ago regarding this. Firstly, in order to see your drive you'll need to remap it: enter the IP address or name in the WINDOWS (Not Internet) Explorer address bar and hit Enter. When you can see the folder right click on it and select 'Map Network Drive.'

As a matter of interest, which ISP are you with? I ask as the issue of not being able to see the NAS as part of the network without entering the IP address has been cured for me by swapping out my BT Homehub 2 for a BT Homehub 3. As soon as I did this the NAS was visible without any fettling.

Regards

Skier
    As soon as I enter the IP address into Windows Explorer and press enter, it searches for it in my web browser (Firefox) and I can connect to the drive but it doesn't want to find it in Windows Explorer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    As soon as I enter the IP address into Windows Explorer and press enter, it searches for it in my web browser (Firefox) and I can connect to the drive but it doesn't want to find it in Windows Explorer.

Eddie
    You should only need to enter '\\192.168.1.100' (or whatever the IP address is) - no http://. If this doesn't work try entering the name of the NAS rather than the IP address i.e. \\dlink 1234 or similar. Neither of these entries should take you anywhere near a browser (my guess is that your leaving http:// in there)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Yes, I've done a restart and I'm not leaving the http in there.

Eddie

About as far from an expert in these things as it gets but I had a similar issue once and was recommended a piece of free software called 'muCommander' as an alternative way of accessing my old NAS when Apple decided to change their protocol access for NAS drives. You do seems to have a different issue with your connectivity and ultimately it is a work around not a fix but might be of help if you can not get it sorted properly.

Got to love computers!

Did you try mapping it as I suggested above or have I misunderstood the problem?

Entering address into Windows Explorer might find the NAS but don't think it will assign drive letter.

What make of drive is it as Buffalo have a program (Nas Navigator) that finds drives etc. and for mine seems to work reliably (so relaibly I don't even bother using windows paths) the ones at work are all "mapped" so for these we use a script as per the cmd TT posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Did you try mapping it as I suggested above or have I misunderstood the problem?

Entering address into Windows Explorer might find the NAS but don't think it will assign drive letter.
    I did try but Windows Explorer won't find the drive to map!

Eddie

Eliminating the bleeding obvious; is your NAS powered up?

If you haven't already I would:

1. Re-boot the router
    2. Re-boot the NAS
    Last edited by Skier; 7th March 2013 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

You have to be able to see the NAS before you can map a drive letter to a folder. At this point Eddie has no visibility of the NAS on his network.

I can find the NAS using the IP address through the browser and I can read the directory structure. I can create a new folder and upload to the folder using the inbuilt navigation software in the NAS but I can't see it in Windows Explorer and I can't find it through Windows Explorer.

Eddie

Can you boot the offending computer into 'Safe Mode with Networking?' (Usually achieved by repeatedly pressing the F8 key during initial stages of boot-up and selecting the type of boot.)

When in Safe Mode With Networking can you now see your NAS and map network drives? If so, do so and re-boot into Normal Mode. If not I'll have a rethink but heading out for a few hours.

I booted into Safe Mode but still couldn't mount the drive and Network Diagnostics doesn't work in Safe Mode.

I've noticed recently that each time I start the computer it tries but fails to load device driver software. I never bothered because everything appeared tobe working but this afternoon I investigated and it failed to load the Standard ACHI 1.0 Serial ATA controller. Checked this in Device Manager and it said "The device is working correctly": checked the driver was up to date and it said it was. Do you think that the NAS is causing the computer to try loading the ATA controller?

Eddie

Have you tried to access the nas from another machine on the same network. Is that a possibility? a lot of times with these problems it is about elimination. If another machine can see the nas then it would point to the machine that you are having problems with being the problem, if another machine such as a laptop cant see the drive then it would point to other things within the network.
    Steve

Is this Windows 7?

If so, I had the same problem except that the drive was visible on my other Windows 7 PC (configured exactly the same as the one that couldn't see it).

This worked for me:

Goto -> Local Security Policy ... (type into search box)
    Click -> Local Policies
    Click -> Security Options
    Double Click -> Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Select -> Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated ... (from dropdown box)
    Click -> Apply
    REBOOT

I have only done this for the PC that I had the trouble with - no idea why the other one is OK without it. I did think it might be because the one that had the problem is always the MSBROWSE master (always turned on first) but have never got around the verifying the theory.

If you have used a mixture of IP Address/DNS name and you run a local network with IP lease settings, there could be a mix up in your local DNS cache on your PC.
    Open your command prompt (open "Run" and type "cmd" and press enter) and type: ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. That will reset your local DNS cache.
    It isn't a diagnose, just a headless easy try:-)

Martin

The info on this link may be worth a try:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000472.htm
    It is a workaround not a fix.

I did get around to testing my earlier theory and, even if it doesn't fix the OPs problem, I thought the results were worth documenting as others might run into a similar problem.

As far as I can determine, the problem occurs only on the PC designated as the Master Browser. The Master Browser is created in Windows networking to manage the list of computers available on the LAN. The computers on the LAN elect the Master Browser - it appears as if the first one to join the LAN is always elected. You can determine which computer is the master by issuing "nbtstat -a (computer name)" and the master is the one that has a line with _MSBROWSE_ somewhere on the output.

I tried this with two PCS and a NAS. Whichever PC was switched on first became the master and couldn't map the NAS in Windows Explorer. If the NAS was switched on first, this became the master and both PCs could map it.

Setting LAN manager authentication, on all computers, as below fixes the problem.

Click -> Local Policies
    Select -> Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated ... (from dropdown box)
    Click -> Apply

REBOOT

I have a more minor version of this problem.

Every time I switch on my Desktop in the morning lately it repots that it can't connect to the network drive.

However if I go in to "My computer" and click "open" it seems to rebuild the file structure and everything is fine ans the little drive icon changes from "red cross" to green connected.

Oddly my BT homehub 3 says it cannot see the NAS drive at all despite the fact it's connected to it and clearly on the network.
    Or rather it does not say the NAS drive is not registered s a connection when you log on to the router.

^
    My Buffalo NAS has always done that. I created a shortcut on the Desktop and changed the icon to something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmusic View Post
    Is this Windows 7?

If so, I had the same problem except that the drive was visible on my other Windows 7 PC (configured exactly the same as the one that couldn't see it).

This worked for me:

Click -> Local Policies
    Click -> Apply
    REBOOT

I have only done this for the PC that I had the trouble with - no idea why the other one is OK without it. I did think it might be because the one that had the problem is always the MSBROWSE master (always turned on first) but have never got around the verifying the theory.
    It's now back but I'm not sure what did it because I flushed DNS, restored factory defaults on the NAS and carried out the actions above. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Eddie

I'm really losing patience with this now. I had wi-fi problems last week so I restored the router and the modem to factory defaults, uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adaptor and all was well (better than before actually). The only problem was, my network drive disappeared.

As you can see fro the image below, windows can't find the network drive through Windows Explorer using the comand \\192.168.0.9 but as you can see from the Firefox window behind, I'm connected to the network drive in the browser using the IP address in the browser address bar.

I've carried out the suggestions above and still no joy, any ideas? If I click on "Diagnose", Windows reports that it cannot identify any problem.

Eddie

I had a similar problem with my NAS drive disappearing from windows intermittently, but still being available via the browser. With mine it turned out windows was having trouble recognising it as it wasn't a member of the default workgroup. I created a worgroup called NAS in windows and used the admin pages to make the NAS drive available to the NAS workgroup, I've never had any trouble since. The odd thing was the fact that before I did this windows would sometimes see it and sometimes not.

There must be an option to configure microsoft networking on your NAS. If it's already configured then I don't know what else it could be I'm afraid.

Master
    Do you have your network devices assigned static IP addresses or do you let the router do all the assigning?

What I'm getting at is - maybe there's more than one device on the network with 192.168.0.9 especially if you have a mixture of DHCP and static IPs.

Other than that, everything I could think of has already been covered above, especially the drive mapping issues. It may well be a problem with the device itself, or with Windows... as a Mac and Qnap user I can't offer any more advice I'm afraid.

Eddie,

If it is the same problem that I had, then it only happens on the computer that is the "Master Browser". You can determine if this is the Master Browser by issuing "nbtstat -a (computer name)" in a command window.

This is what I get when I issue "nbtstat -a AMD" - AMD is the network name of the computer I am using:

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.21] Scope Id: []
    NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
    Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    AMD <20> UNIQUE Registered
    AMD <00> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    MAC Address = 14-DA-E9-34-FA-A6

Note the line _MSBROWSE_ indicating that this is the Master Browser.

What do you see if you issue this?

It tells me it can't find anything when I use that command with the computer name.

Eddie

OK - try "nbtstat -n" - that, I believe, should give the same output for the computer it is issued on.

Eddie

Master
    That terminal output indicates your PC is on a network of 192.168.1.x and the NAS is on 192.168.0.x - presumably the default gateway is 192.168.1.0?

Frankly, I'd restrict the range of available IP addresses (assuming the routers is set for DHCP), and lock the PC and NAS down to static IP addresses, with the DHCP range starting after the NAS.

Gateway: 192.168.1.0 (or 0.1)
    PC ethernet: 192.168.1.1 (or 0.2)
    PC wireless: 192.168.1.2 (or 0.3)
    NAS: 192.168.1.3 (0.4)

DHCP range: 192.168.1.4 (or 0.5) - 192.168.1.x (or 0.x) - depending on how many other devices need to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    That terminal output indicates your PC is on a network of 192.168.1.x and the NAS is on 192.168.0.x - presumably the default gateway is 192.168.1.0?

Frankly, I'd restrict the range of available IP addresses (assuming the routers is set for DHCP), and lock the PC and NAS down to static IP addresses, with the DHCP range starting after the NAS.

Gateway: 192.168.1.0 (or 0.1)
    PC ethernet: 192.168.1.1 (or 0.2)
    PC wireless: 192.168.1.2 (or 0.3)
    NAS: 192.168.1.3 (0.4)

DHCP range: 192.168.1.4 (or 0.5) - 192.168.1.x (or 0.x) - depending on how many other devices need to connect.
    I agree that my router is 192.162.1.X but that's always been the case. Why can I connect to my NAS drive through a browser on 192.168.0.9?

Eddie

Eddie, Is the Firefox connection genuine i.e. can you perform tasks via that or is it a page being displayed from the cache? 192.168.0.9 is an odd IP address unless, of course, you have manually assigned that. Given that you have reset your router I would look at the router's admin pages at Connected Devices (or similar) and see what the assigned IP address is for you NAS. An alternative is to run the software that came with your NAS that will look for the NAS on your network and may assist. Another consideration is your Firewall; once the correct IP address is confirmed add it to you Firewall's exceptions.

Good luck.

Eddie, Is the Firefox connection genuine i.e. can you perform tasks via that or is it a page being displayed from the cache? 192.168.0.9 is an odd IP address unless, of course, you have manually assigned that. Given that you have reset your router I would look at the router's admin pages at Connected Devices (or similar) and see what the assigned IP address is for you NAS. An alternative is to run the software that came with your NAS that will look for the NAS on your network and may assist. Another consideration is your Firewall; once the correct IP address is confirmed add it to you Firewall's exceptions.

Good luck.
    I can perform tasks using the IP address of 192.168.0.9 through the browser. I can read files, play videos and music but what I can't do is backup over wi-fi (my business computer is in the office at the bottom of the garden and my NAS drive is in the house), which I could do although I always had problems with the NAS drive. I got the NAS drive for daily backups into the house: whilst I do 2 daily backups in the office, they're not going to be a lot of use if the office burns down.

Eddie

Just been checking with my own NAS. I can see my NAS without issue but, typing \\192.168.0.16 into the Windows Explorer address bar does not work for me. However, typing the NAS name does i.e. \\ThecusN5200.

Try typing '\\dlink-43747D' (without the inverted commas) and see if that provides you with access.

Master
    A browser can access any IP address it's able to connect to, inc the NAS.
    What I am struggling to understand is how the NAS is 0.9 and not a 1.x IP address, if the router is putting out the IPs via DHCP.
    Was this NAS set up previously on another router or has it been assigned a static IP address during its set-up?

If the PC is wireless only, so there's no CAT5 run down to the shed "office", then you can reduce the IP addresses I listed above, accordingly.
    Change the NAS's address and see if you still have trouble seeing it and connecting to it.
    I'd reboot the router as well to flush its DNS cache.

Eddie
    Looking at that, you don't appear to be part of any network - I would have expected a GROUP line showing the network name similar to the output I posted.

Also, as someone else has said with an IP address of 192.168.1.nn you are not going to be on the same network as the NAS if this has an IP address of 192.168.0.nn.

You said your router is 192.162.1.X, but I assume that is a typo and that it is 192.168.1.xx (or else I am really baffled) and I assume that it is configured as a DHCP server. Is there a configuration option on your NAS management window to get or obtain an IP address from a DHCP server? Selecting this should ensure that your PC and NAS are then always on the same network.

Just been checking with my own NAS. I can see my NAS without issue but, typing \\192.168.0.16 into the Windows Explorer address bar does not work for me. However, typing the NAS name does i.e. \\ThecusN5200.

Try typing '\\dlink-43747D' (without the inverted commas) and see if that provides you with access.
    The NAS LAN connection is set up at DHCP client.

Eddie

Master
    What model have you got Eddie?

I've screwed it all up now, I changed from DHCP to static IP and changed the gateway to 192.168.1.1 (which is correct) and the NAS IP to 192.168.1.9 and saved it. Now I can't get into the device at all so I think it best to reinstall it from the setup disk. I know this will format the drives again but that's not a disaster, I have everything on there elsewhere.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    What model have you got Eddie?
    D-Link DNS-320 with 2 x 2TB drives as Raid 1.

Eddie

Master
    I've screwed it all up now, I changed from DHCP to static IP and changed the gateway to 192.168.1.1 (which is correct) and the NAS IP to 192.168.1.9 and saved it. Now I can't get into the device at all so I think it best to reinstall it from the setup disk. I know this will format the drives again but that's not a disaster, I have everything on there elsewhere.
    Hang on, don't be so hasty.
    Reboot the router - leave it off for a few minutes, that'll flush its DNS cache.
    Not sure why you've chosen 1.9 as the IP, as it would only conflict with DHCP if the address isn't reserved (removed from its range of IPs it hands out).
    But for now, change it to DHCP, and have the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0, and the Gateway to that of the router.

Also make sure the DNS IPs are the same as the router's, and enable the LLTD if using Vista or Win7.
    Disable Dynamic DNS, if not already.

Once you've done that, Run CMD, and ping the IP it has been given by the router.
    If the PC can't get a response, then I'll need to think where the stumbling block is.

You're up to date with the latest firmware revision?

If it's working, you can use the Easy Search Utility on the CD supplied, and map the drive.
    Should make it so much easier to access it from My Computer.
    Last edited by PJ S; 17th July 2013 at 09:25.

Craftsman
    Eddie,

I'm not a million miles away from you and do this sort of thing for a living. I don't mind popping over and helping out if you like (no charge, obviously). PM me if you want me to call round.

Simon

If you have changed from obtain DHCP to static, I am puzzled as to why it originally had an address of 192.168.0.nn when your router is 192.168.1.1 - have you got anything else attached to the network that could be acting as a DHCP server?

Also Eddie, have you got an iPhone, iPad or Android device? If so, there is a very useful app called Fing that will show you every device connected to your router along with it's IP address - and it's free.

Master
    Think Eddie has had enough, and kicked the crap out of the router (and possibly the NAS too).
    Maybe he's set scheduling, so we'll not see hide nor hair of him until tomorrow morning again.

No, I resisted the temptation to destroy the NAS but I won't have time to try any of the suggestions until tomorrow. Thanks for the input, I'll report back.

Eddie

Right, I've been back on the computer in the house and found the drive. The reason the IP addresses are as they are is:

I have a Virgin superhub with the gateway address of 192.168.01, into which the DNS-320 is hardwired.
    The wireless part of the superhub is turned off, I prefer instead to use a DIR-615 with DD-WRT, which is hardwired into the superhub.
    The DIR-615 has a gateway IP address of 192.168.1.1

I can connect to the NAS from my office using 192.168.0.9

I can ping 192.168.0.9 over wireless

I can't map the drive over wireless

Eddie