closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2254 or 2264?

Omega Seamaster 2254 or 2264?

I have a 2254, but I'm tempted to release some funds and go for a 2264!....any thoughts/advice welcomed please.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Not worth it IMHO, how much is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Not worth it IMHO, how much is the difference?
    Probably in the region of £400-£500.

Journeyman
    You'll regret it. Every time you look at it you'll wish it was the 2254.

Master
    Depends what you do with the funds. I don't look at my 2264 and wish it were a 2254. In fact, I'd say that the real reason I bought the 2264 rather than the auto is because of the Omega 1538 quartz movement. Apart from it being a great "grab n' go" tool watch, which looks fantastic, the quartz has a quick-set hour hand which makes it my go-to travel watch. It's a little thinner than the auto, very comfortable to wear, will save you a bundle in service costs, and apart from missing a line of text, looks identical to the one you have. And whilst my second hand was originally slightly off against the markers, that was an easy $50, while-you-wait fix for my watchmaker, and it's now perfect all the way around the dial.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 1st March 2013 at 22:51.

I've owned both, currently have a 2254 - forget the Quartz - always bugged me that the second hand didn't align with the minute markers (something which my nearly 30 year old Seiko 7C43 and <£100 Citizen does!).

I am not sure if it's true, but I was told that it is mainly because the second hand is heavier in the 2264. Whatever the reason, it bugged me.

... and now that I have mentioned it... it may bug you too! Mwah ha ha.

I have a 2264, it's probably my favourite watch. I honestly wouldn't swap it for a 2254.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    I have a 2254, but I'm tempted to release some funds and go for a 2264!....any thoughts/advice welcomed please.

Cheers
    I have the auto 2255.80 but my dive buddy has an Omega Bond SMP quartz, he wears it every day, has had it for over 10 years and completed over 400 dives with it. Needless to say in all that time he has done a battery change and gasket twice. Looks good too. He has saved a fortune in servicing costs compared to an auto. For him it is the perfect grab and go watch which looks no different to non WIS than an auto. I guess it depends whether you can pick up a good quartz for a reasonable price etc. I would like a quartz as a second watch as beater to my auto but will need to save first. Regards.Kev

Master
    I have a 2254.50 that's a long term keeper and I had a quartz Bond SMP. The 'ticking' secs of the quartz always reminded me that it didn't have a 'proper' inside and it seemed a poor comparison to the other, so it's now long gone.

Craftsman
    I have been happy enough with mine .So much so that over the years since i first had it i bought the Bond and Electric Blue quartz versions as well. I agree with all the posative comments from the other posters about the quartz versions.

What about the 2231.80....auto, electric blue dial, and titanium case, bezel and 'Bond' bracelet....

Last edited by RogertheDodger; 1st March 2013 at 23:44.

I'd probably keep the auto. Having said that, I have warmed to the Omega quartz Seamaster quite a lot. I had this older one until recently, with the same handy movement :

If you are buying one, note that Omega upgraded the quartz movement over the years ( and at service ) specifically to improve the seconds-hand movement. That old one above, from the late 90’s, hit the markers perfectly though ... so worth checking before a purchase.

Paul

Grand Master
    Don`t do it.

Simply by buying another watch, you're taking a risk re. condition etc. and could potentially end up spending money to sort it out.....which defeats the object.

Stick with the mechanical..........just servicing and refinishing a mechanical SMP one for a forum buddy (yes Mark, it's yours ) at the moment, I love 'em.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It's a little thinner than the auto.....
    No, it isn`t. They're identical. As for the second hand hitting the marker, it depends how much patience your watchie has when he's fitting the hand. It can take a few goes to get it right and each attempt risks the hole in the second hand getting bigger.

The later movements claimed to have a mod which stops the seconds hand bouncing when it moves, which can give the impression of not hitting the markers. Can`t say I`ve noticed a difference and I`ve worked on several of these.

Both the 2254 and 2264 are superb watches but the mechanical always gets my vote.

Paul

I've got a 2254.50 and I love it. I'm afraid quartz watches do nothing for me.

Add a 2531 SMP or the quartz version 2541.
    Guess that might add variety, else aesthetically the only difference between them both is the word "Chronometer", and the ticking of the quartz second hand.

I have a 'Bond' quartz Seamaster which I like very much. I was under the impression that Omega had improved the movement by fitting small magnets to make sure that the seconds-hand hits the markers exactly without wobbles, like mine does. I've had auto-versions as well and they might have had more charm, but this one is easier to live with.

The various 1538 movement revisions are in the service doc :

https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/catego...,B,C,D.doc.pdf

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 3rd March 2013 at 16:35.