closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Timefactors for everyday use

Banned

What Timefactors for everyday use

Starting a new job next week and don't want to take my sea dweller away with me. So what watch is good for everyday use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My choice would be the SB3 or SB3 GMT (if a used one came up), to me it has a nice blend of smart yet tough looking.

PRS14 on an omega bracelet IMHO
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    My choice would be the Prs17q but not easy to find.

Easy choice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    Easy choice!

I was thinking of the everesbut worry about scratching too easily

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    My choice would be the SB3 or SB3 GMT (if a used one came up), to me it has a nice blend of smart yet tough looking.
    I'd agree with that, although the Everest would be a close 2nd (or 3rd, I'd love a GMT)

Grand Master
    Id go with an Everest
    RIAC

I'd second the Everest. Take the bracelet and either a leather or nato just to change the look:

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon View Post
    I was thinking of the everesbut worry about scratching too easily
    Just polywatch every couple of months and job jobbed! If you've never had a watch with domed acrylic, it's a thing of beauty.

Another vote for the PRS-14 on Omega bracelet.

Banned
    That is very nice Billy

Everest everytime, tough as hell and looks lovely.

Journeyman
    PRS18A, no doubt. Will be my next, i think.

Bye, Klaus

I suppose it depends on what you're going to do in your job.

If you need something rugged then it's got to be a PRS 18.
    If you want something that'll look good in a suit then Speedbird or Everest -although the PRS 5 is nice on leather and can 'just' slip under your shirt!

Craftsman
    Just polywatch every couple of months and job jobbed! If you've never had a watch with domed acrylic, it's a thing of beauty.
    Very very true

I love the Everest, it is more dressy IMHO, than the Speedbird GMT, but you honestly cannot go wrong with either.

or
    Last edited by unixshrk; 1st March 2013 at 16:48.

Exclamation

two of my favorites watches from TF for daily wear :

Master
    Hi Taffytoon. I can see why you might not want to wear your SeaDweller under all conditions despite its ability to very probably "take" any conditions it's put to. I mostly like the older vintage Plexiglass OysterCase Rolex like the 1665 SD and 1016 Explorer especially, and also the older plexiglass Submariners, GMT-Masters, Daytonas, AirKings, DJ's, etc., (I don't own any---but would like to). However, the only watches Rolex still made that I liked a lot since the switch over to the sapphire crystal redesign of the OysterCase were the later SeaDwellers, but then Rolex, bizarrely I think, dropped it for the DeepSea, which I think is a very poor replacement for the SD. I have little to no knowledge of marketing, but the DS as supplement to the SD, maybe, but certainly not replacement if I can judge by my own reaction and that of others I've read voicing their opinions here at TZ-UK. That not only makes your SD very expensive to begin with, but now hard to replace as well, so I can see how you might feel.

It's just my own opinion, but since you are asking, I'll give it ---- I think there are four current Timefactors watches that would be a perfect counterpoint to a SeaDweller were I lucky enough to have one, and these would be the Smiths PRS-29A, the Precista PRS-10, the SpeedBird III PRS-22, and the SpeedBird GMT PRS-22GMT variation having the ETA 2893-2 mov't with independently adjustable 24H display complication. I think all are incredibly high value for the money (something akin to Rolex today selling an exact remake, right down to premium grade movement finish and adjustment, of their classic 1665 SeaDweller for less than 1600.00 GBP would be my best guess for analogous VFM) and range in design fom vintage classic(my preference) to modern classic(which may be your preference), each has a 100M level of water resistance for most conditions one might encounter, each of these four TF watches are resistant to aviation levels of negative pressure (to go with your SD's famous resistance to saturation dive levels of negative pressure), I think none would wear larger on the wrist than the SeaDweller, and the military navigator/pilot/field watch nature of each stands in nice contrast, at least for me, to the ultimate dive watch nature of the SD.

At any rate, good luck with that and the new job also, Rollon

[Edit added: I think the PRS-10 has to be one of the, if not the---world's best buys in an affordable watch that would be good for almost any everday use so I'm a bit surprised nobody else has apparently mentioned it. I would personally like to see an optional mechanical version of it with something like the Miyota 8215 automatic mov't someday, but I know that the 5J repairable (and, I think, timing rate adjustable) Ronda 750LI 10 year battery life lithium quartz mov't that is currently standard for the PRS-10 has an excellent reputation. As much as I don't like admitting it given my affection for mechanical movements, long life battery quartz watches are a lot less headaches for me and make perfect grab-and-go watches when there's no time for the esoteric mechanical BS I prefer for some reason. Best of Luck]
    Last edited by Rollon; 2nd March 2013 at 03:05.

Craftsman
    I was in the same predicament as you a few weeks ago and was sort of torn between the Everest and Speedbird 3. In the end I went for the 3 and it's been great - only gained 10 seconds over the last week of continual wear. I'll probably end up getting the Everest at some point, but for everyday wear the Speedbird is fantastic and can be dressed up pretty easily on a black buffalo strap.

Possibly the Everest, but only just. I'll be trying it on a canvas strap soon, which I think will still work with a suit as well as jeans etc. Close call though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Possibly the Everest, but only just. I'll be trying it on a canvas strap soon, which I think will still work with a suit as well as jeans etc. Close call though.

I think I have a photo of mine on canvas somewhere around here, let me see if I can dig it up.

Apprentice
    I'm lucky to have both.The Everest is one hell of a bargain for the price and its a real mans watch,does look very nice on good leather.
    The Speedbird wears ever so smaller the bracelet is a work of art and does look nicer on its bracelet.
    I've toyed with the idea of selling the Speedbird because maybe it is a tad small on the wrist for me,but I think I'd regret it especially when the novelty of alarm clock wrist watches wears off.And what other similar spec watch could you get for that price.

Just my Tupennth.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJax View Post
    I'm lucky to have both.The Everest is one hell of a bargain for the price and its a real mans watch,does look very nice on good leather.
    The Speedbird wears ever so smaller the bracelet is a work of art and does look nicer on its bracelet.
    I've toyed with the idea of selling the Speedbird because maybe it is a tad small on the wrist for me,but I think I'd regret it especially when the novelty of alarm clock wrist watches wears off.And what other similar spec watch could you get for that price.

Just my Tupennth.
    I agree with your statement. Value for money in the Speedbird, and especially the Speedbird GMT is hard to beat.
    The Everest would leave my collection prior.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It depends what the nature of your day is (basically how suited up you have to be) but I have found the PRS-10 to be a great everyday wear. Otherwise the SB GMT is top for me. I like the Everest but I like to have a date function more.

Master
    Curious question, I have been mulling over a speed bird gmt, already got a regular speed bird and the Everest, very nice watches indeed... Shall I or shan't I that is the question

Speedbird and PRS-20

I alternate between the Prs5 and the prs17q both have the Chrono which I use quite often

18Q — still the definitive Timefactors watch, IMO.

Craftsman
    My newly delivered PS-10. Can't stop looking at it.

My first time with acrylic lens- looks so clear.

PRS-5 with the viewback ... it's wasted being hidden though. Still, it makes me smile when I think about it :)

Easy choice!

Which strap is that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Which strap is that?
    My thoughts exactly, nice strap.

This is my first shot at posting piccies. I love these two. Everest on a grey Zulu, 29b on a Bond. Not enough days in the week to wear them both. Must work on my photo skills. I just love them.

Last edited by Dunce; 11th March 2013 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Which strap is that?
    Sorry chaps, very late in responding. It is a Hirsch Medici in dark brown. I think that it looks great on the Everest and it's incredibly comfortable. I tried it on a Toshi originally but found this just too thick on the inside of the wrist for wear with a suit. The Hirsch is nice and slim on the inside of the wrist, but tapers up to full thickness. It slips under a cuff perfectly and the curved ends look good too!

Craftsman
    Great responses all- keep them coming- it's only snowing outside.

BTW- What are these Toshi straps I hear of and is there a link?

Regards,
    LC

They're quality. Not cheap but worth every penny.

http://www.toshi-straps.co.uk/straps/papaya/papaya.html

Craftsman
    Thanks Dunce.

Master
    The most regularly worn watch in my modest collection is my PRS-29B. I have n. no. of NATO's and it works well with almost any outfit. I regularly get asked what it is by ppl wearing very expensive metal and without fail it's greeted with appreciation and "where can I get one". When I tell people how much they cost, they often don't believe me!

Craftsman
    I see a theme developing. It would be an Everest for me, or a speedbird Gmt if you can find one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    The most regularly worn watch in my modest collection is my PRS-29B. I have n. no. of NATO's and it works well with almost any outfit. I regularly get asked what it is by ppl wearing very expensive metal and without fail it's greeted with appreciation and "where can I get one". When I tell people how much they cost, they often don't believe me!
    I'm surprised that there are still some 29B's still available, grabbed mine and I'm very, very pleased with it. It's gone to the top of my must wear list.

Got to say the Everest is a lovely looking watch and the strap looks rather like the one on my Rolex.

Has anyone used Eddie's acrylic scratch removal polish & what results did you get?

***Edit: Oops - I should have gone looking for that answer elsewhere on the forum first, don't want to hi-jack this thread***
    Last edited by LeighG; 25th March 2013 at 01:03.

I like the PRS 29B but the only problem is that I gone off Nato's and the genuine bund that it was on has just fallen apart, so I am looking for something that does not leave that gap between the spring bars and the case.

Just got the Everest and it is nice, the bracelet is very good and it is -1 second at the moment, the interesting thing is the rotor noise it is like a mini 7750 without the wobble, I find it strangely appealing for some reason.