A while ago I got a bit pissed at lunchtime and wandered into Wempe on the Kö (the Königsallee, a quietly extreme shopping street in Düsseldorf that offers everything you can find on Bond Street but without the RAVs). Swayed by the drink, the ambience and the frankly brilliant English language skills of the polite, attentive yet reserved staff, I nearly blew two grand on an overpriced Nomos Club when I realised I could pick up a gently worn Navitimer for the same money - or another two months' rent. I was also reminded of the time 10 years ago when I got mothered in the Devonshire on Duke Street, staggered across the road into Selfridges and bought an Oris F1 chrono for the maximum, undiscounted list price of £895 only to have my bacon saved days later when the crystal fogged up randomly, allowing me to take it back (sober) and exchange it for something much cheaper.

So here's a fun question: what have you bought whilst shedded (and that includes any number of booze-fuelled, late-night eBay sessions), did you keep it, and do you regret it?