closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches and heavy drinking

Grand Master

Watches and heavy drinking

A while ago I got a bit pissed at lunchtime and wandered into Wempe on the Kö (the Königsallee, a quietly extreme shopping street in Düsseldorf that offers everything you can find on Bond Street but without the RAVs). Swayed by the drink, the ambience and the frankly brilliant English language skills of the polite, attentive yet reserved staff, I nearly blew two grand on an overpriced Nomos Club when I realised I could pick up a gently worn Navitimer for the same money - or another two months' rent. I was also reminded of the time 10 years ago when I got mothered in the Devonshire on Duke Street, staggered across the road into Selfridges and bought an Oris F1 chrono for the maximum, undiscounted list price of £895 only to have my bacon saved days later when the crystal fogged up randomly, allowing me to take it back (sober) and exchange it for something much cheaper.

So here's a fun question: what have you bought whilst shedded (and that includes any number of booze-fuelled, late-night eBay sessions), did you keep it, and do you regret it?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite a bit I'm ashamed to say. The biggest was a Toyota Hilux. Kept it for a few years though so it wasn't all bad.
    Watch wise, I was a little tipsy when I spoke for an LV but it was a decent price so not too bad over all.

Only one close shave, an IWC years ago on the Bay, I had a few doubts about its provenance but won it anyway with some aggressive drunken bidding.

Woke up the next day with some regret and growing concern. When I logged on to pay though, the listing had been cancelled as the watch had been reported as fake! Goes to show, you guys do save people with your reporting of fakes...

I've done a few bits and bobs off ebay.

My first big watch purchase was a Daytona, and I'd had a few drinks prior to buying it. Wasnt planning on buying it for a while, but the alcohol definitely helped sway the decision making. Once I'd bought it, went back to pub for a few more drinks to summon up the courage to tell the other half.

Malc

Not me but I've hear of someone who thought it would be a good idea to buy a hot-dog trailer on eBay after a bit of drink and someone in Aberdeen buying a "collection only" motor cycle without spotting that it was located in Devon.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    I'm only confused by the Nomos/Navitimer statement, the Nomos is a far better watch with in-house movement, the Navitimer just an ETA watch.
    Were you drunk whilst posting this???

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Agreed; "overpriced" is not a term I'd associate with Nomos. It's one of the very few watches worth buying new within that price range, in fact.

Grand Master
    The Club is "just an ETA" too - its movement is a Peseux with go-faster stripes. And you forgot about every other component of the watch, which in the case of the Nomos is exceptionally basic. At two large, it just ain't cutting it, no matter how much sake I take in ;).

Craftsman
    Belligero
    Agreed; "overpriced" is not a term I'd associate with Nomos. It's one of the very few watches worth buying new within that price range, in fact.
    I'd agree that Nomos offer excellent value but the Nomos Club can be found for under a grand and the date version for less than 1.5 so I think it was just this particular retailer that was overpriced.

Banned
    Yes around a year ago, I found an eBay ad for an IWC Portuguese 3714 (blue hands on white) the photos for the ad were terrible but the seller had feedback of 500+.

I put in a cheeky offer of £2800 via Paypal and he accepted, the watch arrived and was genuine and in great condition.

I then relisted the watch on eBay 8 months later but took some good quality pics, the watch sold for £3450, and that's the only time I've ever made money on a watch.
    Last edited by taz417; 27th February 2013 at 18:47.

Grand Master
    The Club is "just an ETA" too - its movement is a Peseux with go-faster stripes. And you forgot about every other component of the watch, which in the case of the Nomos is exceptionally basic. At two large, it just ain't cutting it, no matter how much sake I take in ;).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    No, it may have started out as a Peseux movement, but the movement has changed beyond recognition and nearly every component is is made by Nomos in-house.
    Go faster stripes apply to the likes of Breitling and IWC, not Nomos.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Double post, sorry, though I should point out that this was nearly 2,000 euros, not Sterling.

I was JD'd to the max and bought a very nice Tag on ebay for 600 odd quid only to wake up and realise it was a womans!

Managed to weasel my way out of it by admitting I was mullered. Luckily he saw the funny side.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Never bought anything when drunk.. Although did give a panerai to a friend while heavily under the influence of tequila.
    Here. Have it.
    I love you too.
    It's just a watch, no, no, it suits you, go on, what's mine is yours.
    <slur>

phone call the following afternoon: give it back dammit and if you've thrown up anywhere near it I'm going to kill you.

Craftsman
    Geez, reading al this I'm just glad I don't drink.... Wonder if any people also LOST they watch while being 'under influence'...

Grand Master
    I didn't start this thread meaning to slam Nomos, just what I perceived to be its low value offering (yes the movement is nice, but the rest of it in the cold light of day... hmm) and I am glad to have resisted the spending urge, despite being blind refreshed.

Some of the comments gave me a bloody good chuckle - keep 'em coming ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I was JD'd to the max and bought a very nice Tag on ebay for 600 odd quid only to wake up and realise it was a womans!

Managed to weasel my way out of it by admitting I was mullered. Luckily he saw the funny side.
    That's what you get for drinking a girls drink ;-)

Not posted for a while - but been lurking...

I remember back in 2000 having a couple of glasses of wine before purchasing my first decent watch a seamaster pro.... no regrets though :-)

Master
    Many years ago arrived home on a Friday night totally mullered and Children in Need was on the tv, they were auctioning off a pair of signed Kevin Keegan football boots. Ime going to bid for them says I and promptly staggered through to the kitchen for a beer and a sandwhich, whilst in there the then Mrs Dog decides to teach me a lesson and rings up and bids £700, which at the time was equivalent to a months wages!! I come back into the lounge armed with beer and sarnie sits down only to be greeted by some muppet on the TV telling me I was the leading bidder for the boots. I sobered up pretty quickly and sat there sweating cobs until some other numpty outbid me but it took over half an hour. I dont mind giving to charity but that was madness, never again!

I bought a signed England Rugby squad montage thingy at a works Christmas function for £350 notes, it was a silent auction, I didn't think my £350 bid would win as the guide price was £500, turns out I was the only bidder AND it was for charity, so I coughed up the dough and 'explained' it to the wife in the sober light of dawn......

Funny, she won't let me hang it anywhere in the house

got married once while drunk in LA, it lasted six weeks
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The worst I've done was try to buy a Vostok Amphibia on ebay after a few drinks - I never managed to complete it, and can't work out if that was a good thing or not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Not sure anyone is going to top that!

We have a winner

Blog Entries
    Why did it last so long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Why did it last so long!!!
    we were in love
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Not me but I've hear of someone who thought it would be a good idea to buy a hot-dog trailer on eBay after a bit of drink and someone in Aberdeen buying a "collection only" motor cycle without spotting that it was located in Devon.

Eddie
    I sold a sofa to someone from Devon on eBay. I lived in Canterbury. The sofa was worth every penny of the pound they paid for it.

Bought a Mercedes Mclaren Tag a few years back in Vegas after a very heavy weekend watching the boxing.
    I didn't particularly like the thing and sold it fairly quickly when I got home.

I once had a G-Shock turn up that I didn't even remember wanting or needing, let alone buying.

Ah, happy happy days.

Martin.

I did quite some stupid trading with watch-friends while drinking heavily. Next time I met them I would try to make up by trading again, making matters even worse. In this way I managed to transform a brand new IWC Ingenieur in one week and 2 meetings into a Breitling Skyracer and a Seiko SKX007. I gave up on trading watches after that for a while but started drinking even more.

You were drunk for six weeks? Skills sir, skills...

Luckily I haven't bought a watch whilst under the influence, but I have got a drawer full of straps that were partly alcohol-fueled through. I guess it's a slippery slope though!

eBay, Stella and a £750 best offer on a painting that looked surprisingly different when sober! Was fortunately outbid!

does an overpriced kebab count?

Grand Master
    My first purchase on German ebay was transacted whilst pissed, a 1960s Omega Dynamic at a very good price. With only 10 mins till the auction finished I hadn`t much time to translate the description. On seeing the word 'swartz' I assumed the dial to be black....couldn`t tell properly from the pic. What I didn`t see was the word zifferblat and dunkenblau.....which I now know means ' dark-blue dial'. The strap was black!

The watch arrived and it turned out OK, but the point of buying it was to get the black-dialled version! After a bit of work I sold it on OK so it ended well.

Also remember struggling to convert Euros to Sterling after I`d won it........and panicking because I thought I`d paid way over-price.

Ebay + pissed is never a good combination, especially when you're hastily trying to translate German and convert Euros to £££.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Never bought anything when drunk.. Although did give a panerai to a friend while heavily under the influence of tequila.
    Here. Have it.
    I love you too.
    It's just a watch, no, no, it suits you, go on, what's mine is yours.
    <slur>

phone call the following afternoon: give it back dammit and if you've thrown up anywhere near it I'm going to kill you.

That made me laugh!

Two questions:
    Male or female friend?
    Did they know what it cost?
    Did you get it back ok?

Sorry, that's three questions.

Beware the devil in a bottle.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Apprentice
    Unfortunatley I have no such drunken stories to share, but did enjoy reading those posted so far

Journeyman
    Never done it myself - my miserliness outweighs my drunkenness apparently - but I do remember hearing a story about an EMC (big storage) sales guy back in the glory days of the IT industry winning a MASSIVE deal with BT. Out he goes to celebrate with the lads. Heads back home, utterly shed-faced, still relatively early in the day but out of his tree. Happens to pass a certain car dealership on the way home....wakes up the next morning to find the keys to a brand new Ferrari sat on his bedside table with no recollection of how, why, where, etc.

I'm sure it's apocryphal in the detail but the actual purchase has been verified by several guys who knew him well. Galling thing is the b***ard had earned enough commission from the deal to keep it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Quite. They really are exceptional value in my view (I have two).

In terms of drunken purchases, my recent Omega digital was the result of a rather good lunch that went on a while...

Some years ago I was after a Jensen Interceptor, but SWMBO thought they looked like the Ford Capri. One evening, well in to the wine, she pointed out a Mark 2 Jag on Ebay and said that it looked pretty. We put in a low bid at first and were swiftly outbid. Another bottle and a few bids and we were winning - hooray!

Come the cold light of dawn, we realised that it wasn't very bright, but as there were 3 days to go assumed that we would be outbid. We weren't. I somehow thought that it was unacceptable to explain myself and pull out so ending up buying it. It barely ran so I had to trailer it home (from several hundred miles away). After pootling about in it for a bit, I found that it had a cracked cylinder head so it got dumped in the garage. Ignored for years and only recently sold for a small fraction of what I paid for it.

I have worked out that I shall not make my fortune trading in classic cars.

Master
    Not a watch, but I cleverly bought a painting in a local art gallery having done the best part of a bottle of champagne. It was 5k and yes I regretted it, not least because my fiance hates it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jestermedia View Post
    I'm sure it's apocryphal in the detail but the actual purchase has been verified by several guys who knew him well. Galling thing is the b***ard had earned enough commission from the deal to keep it!
    Those were the days ;).

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    a bit pissed <snip> Swayed by the drink, <snip> got mothered <snip> staggered <snip> shedded
    That reminded me of this excellent rant from Michael McIntyre.

Master
    I just wouldn't let it at go at a silent Charity (Tickets for Troops, good cause, no real complaints) auction, so £1850 for a 2 night Champneys break.

Wife got her own back by making me go with her (rather than Sis,mum, friend etc) & finding out at dinner we weren't allowed any booze!

I should add this one of many....
    Last edited by luckyal; 28th February 2013 at 15:32.

I was watching a 1960 Girard Perregaux on ebay a few years back. It was very nice but I really wanted to put my money towards something else. On the eve of the conclusion of the auction I was observing the last minute bidding. Just for the hell of it I stuck $1 on. No real reason just bored a a wee bit lubricated. And I waited. And waited. And waited. The bidding had stopped. I only added $1 dollar to the bidding - I didn't really want the watch! Bang - I won it. When it arrived it was actually a lott nicer than I thought though I wasn't best please when a short time later FedEx sent me a customs demand. None the less I kept the watch for couple of years and eventually flipped it for more than I had invested in it. I have learned to stay away from the bay when the cork is out of the bottle though...

Watches and heavy drinking

I bought a knackered jag too. An XJ40 in Kingfisher with dents in the roof and a racing-horse mascot screwed to the bonnet. At £700, I overpaid.

Also bought a harmonica with flashing lights on. From a rather surprised and apparently elderly lady located in Connecticut.

The iPhone eBay app is potentially very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    I've done a few bits and bobs off ebay.

My first big watch purchase was a Daytona, and I'd had a few drinks prior to buying it. Wasnt planning on buying it for a while, but the alcohol definitely helped sway the decision making. Once I'd bought it, went back to pub for a few more drinks to summon up the courage to tell the other half.

Malc
    So Malcolm, enlighten us. How did you get away with it?

A friend of mine who is realy into photography and buys and sells cameras and lenses every now and then, and every now and then gets screamd at by the mrs. He started putting hes new lenses in the closet for a about 6 months before even using them, so when she asks if its a new lens he can say, what this one, nahhh had it for a while.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wajhart View Post
    That reminded me of this excellent rant from Michael McIntyre.
    :D

"Mothered" is American. When i first heard "shedded", which had me rolling around, it was out of the mouth of an unreconstructed Mancunian. Next time, though, I'll be sure to get... hat-racked?

Did someone say heavy drinking and watches.

Watch used to be a Seiko and I believe thats Jameson.