closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The ultimate beater?????

Banned

The ultimate beater?????

As a fully signed up dive watch nut.. I know that many of us hunt for the ultimate beater. Problem is, every time we find a beater.. it's too nice, or too treasured to be a beater. I've done it many times.. convincing myself that I have a beater.. but when it comes to the crunch it gets leaved behind. A true beater is a watch that you don't care about - which is a dilemma.. why would you buy something you don't like.. I think this is why many of you opt for a G-Shock.. it's the ultimate anti-watch.. perfect beater?

But what if you want something more.. well, more 'proper watch-like'. I think I've found 'the one'..it's beaten up, but very cool..

It came with the rare original bracelet, but the clasp has no security flip lock.. so a shark mesh was the answer.. perfect combo..

PS. I'm finding it difficult to find out anything about this watch - so if you have any links or info - please post!

Last edited by europa; 24th February 2013 at 01:59.

Stewart, I agree, there are some watches which we buy for their "rugged sportiness" and then don't dare wear them for anything more stressful than going to work. My Seiko Monsters are my beaters. I treat them exactly how I would a G-Shock. Surfing / Climbing / Diving / Hiking / Cycling - I've posted all the pics before - but sufficient to say, I don't baby these at all and they have never failed. Despite always wearing them on the outside of any climbing gear, they have unmarked crystals too. I think, given the other qualities ( in-house everything, solid bezel, drilled hooded lugs, world's fattest springbars, solid bracelet, Seiko history ) it is the "ultimate beater" for someone who wants a mechanical watch.

Having said all that, I'm increasingly just using my SD for everything. It's one of my 4 "never sell" watches ( the two monsters and a Speedy make up the others ) so I don't care if it picks up some signs of use.

Nice Scubapro !

Paul

Apprentice
    Submariner 5513

I don't know who built these watches in the early 80s - it's the same case, and I guess, the auto version of the Chronosport 30 Tom Selleck wore in "Magnum, PI"...

pics culled from the net:

Scubapro, I'm sure you know, is just a diving equipment supplier who paid to get their name applied to the dial. I'd love to know who made them, and wouldn't mind having one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Scubapro, I'm sure you know, is just a diving equipment supplier who paid to get their name applied to the dial. I'd love to know who made them, and wouldn't mind having one someday.
    I did know, but I've forgotten...

Someone in Hong Kong, I think.

Craftsman
    I think Scubapro is a french brand of scuba diving equipment, they make all sorts including dive computers and gauges. I dont think they manufacture their own watches. They might be owned by Uwatec these days.

Watch Navi fake Aquadive works for me it just a pity he said it was 100% original on his eBay listing wanker

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I think Scubapro is a french brand of scuba diving equipment, they make all sorts including dive computers and gauges. I dont think they manufacture their own watches. They might be owned by Uwatec these days.
    the watches they sell are rebranded seiko's and the like

Banned
    I found this link about Scubapro - interesting read:
    http://www.internationallegendsofdiv..._Bonin_bio.htm

+1 Seiko Monster for me too.
    Like your scuba pro though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit I struggle to use any of my seikos. I just can't manage to take the Rolex off. Even my PO 42mm tends to stay on the shelf.

For me, the ultimate beater is a Sub or GMT.

New Beater to save Speedy Pro

I Usually wear my Speedmaster Pro for work but have started to realised it is getting a little beaten. Spotted a great deal on a Seiko Black Montser so am hoping that this can take the daily chores and save the Speedy for nicer occasions!

Great pictures as always Stewart, but for me that still falls into the 'too nice to be a beater' category. To my mind a beater has to be something easily replaceable, and that Scubapro I would guess isn't.

Nice try though

Master
    Rolex GMTII for daily wear, except when I'm riding my motorbike to work, then it's true monster all the way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    Great pictures as always Stewart, but for me that still falls into the 'too nice to be a beater' category. To my mind a beater has to be something easily replaceable, and that Scubapro I would guess isn't.

Nice try though
    You may be right, just a little.. but it is a sturdy ol bugger.

Here's my 'beater:' a 1975 Caravelle Diver 666 Feet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Here's my 'beater:' a 1975 Caravelle Diver 666 Feet.
    I have to say Tom.. you have the most cool eclectic collection of under-the-radar watches I know.. plus your photos are pro grade. Do you have a blog/site with all your beauties on?

As a slight aside shouldn't a 'proper' beater be a quartz of some sort? I use a chainsaw fairly often and other tools that cause sustained vibration (ooer) and am under the impression that these types of conditions aren't the best for an auto. movement?

Although thinking about it, I'm sure underwater divers use similar equipment but maybe being submerged somehow absorbs some of the vibration or something...

Grand Master
    *clears throat*

I have a nice wristbeater for... well, beating. I went to the beater AD and asked what the best beater to beat with would be, and he recommended one particular beater for beating that can't be beaten. Now, whenever I have a quick beat, I simply strap on the perfect beater.

Oh, you mean watch, sorry. Then presumably something that doesn't get in the way, is quartz so you don't have to reset it all the time, has a bit of WR maybe with a screwdown crown (see point about resetting) won't fall off the wrist and doesn't have a flimsy leather strap. So any 100m+ Seiko, Citizen, Tissot, Casio, Timex, etc.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The quartz option,

40mm and not so bulky, works great on the isofrane IMO.
    But not easily replaced though, haven't seen many of these around.

my 'WE Watch', although I wear it today....'exceptionally'...
    It is the watch I take on my vacation, to sport, on my bike a.s.o. Maybe not a beater per se, but it is undestructable, so I think it qualifies.

Don't you think?

another shout here for Orange monster. Mine gets worn almost everywhere, either on its original bracelet or black and orange nato.

Master

Re: The ultimate beater?????

Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    another shout here for Orange monster. Mine gets worn almost everywhere, either on its original bracelet or black and orange nato.
    What he said. :)

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    As a fully signed up dive watch nut.. I know that many of us hunt for the ultimate beater. Problem is, every time we find a beater.. it's too nice, or too treasured to be a beater. I've done it many times.. convincing myself that I have a beater.. but when it comes to the crunch it gets leaved behind. A true beater is a watch that you don't care about - which is a dilemma.. why would you buy something you don't like.. I think this is why many of you opt for a G-Shock.. it's the ultimate anti-watch.. perfect beater?

But what if you want something more.. well, more 'proper watch-like'. I think I've found 'the one'..it's beaten up, but very cool..

It came with the rare original bracelet, but the clasp has no security flip lock.. so a shark mesh was the answer.. perfect combo..

PS. I'm finding it difficult to find out anything about this watch - so if you have any links or info - please post!
    How much was it ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    How much was it ?
    It was somewhere between £100 and £1000 - I can't remember

Regarding the ultimate beater question, I honestly think it's very subjective...I don't think there can be a "general" best beater.

First of all, not all people are into divers for example. Also, there's the question of budgets, one person's Rolex Sub beater might be someone's luxury or too expensive to even consider watch.

To me beater signifies, first of all, reliability, being able to take a beating/bashing without breaking too easily.

(one of) My current beater(s) but at the same time a watch that I wear at the office is an Orient Star...affordable enough, especially since I bought it used for less than 150 usd , I wouldn't spend much higher for a beater, but sturdy enough that I know I can take it out cycling, walking, even for a swim without worrying. But for 2 watches in my "collection" at the moment (cut it down to under 10), all could be regarded as "beaters". My other favorite beater is a G-Shock, from the GW056 series, again a reliable, especially with the solar power. Too bad the atomic time doesn't function where I live, then it would definitely be a stress-free, totally pick-up-and-go kind of watch, practically it still is, just need to adjust the time twice a year ;)

Here's a photo below of my Orient beater, the day it was worn at the office, it had just arrived in the post.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 26th February 2013 at 18:12.

Cool

It was somewhere between £100 and £1000 - I can't remember
    That certainly narrows it down :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    That certainly narrows it down :P
    Not that I think the cost is relevant.. but in total it cost me around £700 with new top hat crystal and shark-mesh bracelet.

I have the exact same way of thinking! I'm usually wearing the ONE for some time and then I prefer to treasure it, because it is too nice to be a beater. Then I return to SKX007