closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Air King

Apprentice

Rolex Air King

Hi everyone I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice here.

I tried on a 34mm stainless steel Airking yesterday with the fluted white gold bezel and my husband has very kindly offered to buy me this as a special birthday present.

Firstly do I have to worry about the white gold bezel ? Through time will it wear and need dipped like a white gold ring does ? I do prefer the fluted bezel style over the plain bezel.

Secondly it was priced up at £4100, how much discount would I realistically be able to achieve off this price ? Does paying £3500 sound realistic ? The watch is on display in the dealers window.

Thanks !

AirQueen

Quote Originally Posted by AirQueen View Post
    Hi everyone I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice here.

I tried on a 34mm stainless steel Airking yesterday with the fluted white gold bezel and my husband has very kindly offered to buy me this as a special birthday present.

Firstly do I have to worry about the white gold bezel ? Through time will it wear and need dipped like a white gold ring does ? I do prefer the fluted bezel style over the plain bezel.

Secondly it was priced up at £4100, how much discount would I realistically be able to achieve off this price ? Does paying £3500 sound realistic ? The watch is on display in the dealers window.

Thanks !

AirQueen
    Don't worry!

AFAIK the Rolex metal composition isn't white because of plating it with rhodium, but because of the mixture of metals in the alloy.

Rolex sports models are hard to get at a discount. I don't know how this is with an Airking. I would prefer to buy one second hand, which is probably waaaay cheaper...

Paying over 10.000 Dutch Guilders (yeah, I know, we have been fooled into the Euro) for a steel watch with a gold bezel? Not something I would easily do.
    At that price, I would want a precious metal watch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Don't worry!

AFAIK the Rolex metal composition isn't white because of plating it with rhodium, but because of the mixture of metals in the alloy.

Rolex sports models are hard to get at a discount. I don't know how this is with an Airking. I would prefer to buy one second hand, which is probably waaaay cheaper...

Paying over 10.000 Dutch Guilders (yeah, I know, we have been fooled into the Euro) for a steel watch with a gold bezel? Not something I would easily do.
    At that price, I would want a precious metal watch.
    Thank you Bernard. Thats good about the white gold, puts my mind at rest!

I take your point about buying used but don't like the thought of something that's been on someone else's sweaty wrists and bears someone else's scuffs and marks. Silly maybe but that's just me.

I did find a place called watch finder .co.uk who have an unworn one on stock has anyone dealt with them are they reputable or would I be buying a fake?

I'm surprised there are no more replies I though you guys would all have tales of how you haggled the price down.

AirQueen x

Plenty of experience of watchfinder on the forum, here for example

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=watchfinder

If you get the watch refinished and cleaned, it will be as new, no need to think about other people's sweaty wrist!

The price will be quite a bit lower though!

Master

I used to own this Air King which the other half coveted, the plain stainless steel is the one to have IMHO - enjoy the hunt.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the advice I managed to bag a used but unworn example with all stickers and tags intact and saved 28% from the RRP of a new one.

The great mystery of how much discount you can secure on a new Rolex continues but I'm quite confident it wouldn't have been 28% so very happy with my purchase it should be delivered early next week.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AirQueen View Post
    Thanks for all the advice I managed to bag a used but unworn example with all stickers and tags intact and saved 28% from the RRP of a new one.

The great mystery of how much discount you can secure on a new Rolex continues but I'm quite confident it wouldn't have been 28% so very happy with my purchase it should be delivered early next week.
    Well done! Enjoy your new watch in good health!

Air King is a fantastic watch, I'm sure you will enjoy it, I have a few Rolex now but really love my 14000 !

Good choice, good price AirQueen

You can see mine here One for air, one for sea! (last reply)