closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SM300

SM300

Hi folks

I've had my speedy for 7 years now and have been obsessed with the SM300 ever since so it's time to make a purchase!

So I'd love to see your SM300 pics, and any comparisons with the Speedy in terms of size, weight etc also appreciated!

Very similar in size to the Speedie, here my RN SM300

Looking through old photos I'm now wondering why on earth I sold mine...

@watchlovr glad to see you've still got the RN

I've got a couple...

:)

Banned
    Mine was built from scratch by a fellow forum member.

I'm a fan of vintage, but prefer the advantages such as water resistance, better lume and am particularly a fan of the white on black date.

Many don't 'get' the rebuilds and it is a little odd having a 45 year old movement in a brand new outer, but it's also kind of cool...

Photo credit: M Cockett

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Many don't 'get' the rebuilds and it is a little odd having a 45 year old movement in a brand new outer, but it's also kind of cool...
    I don't see it as odd at all. The new Speedmaster has none of the DNA of the original, but spiritually is the same watch. Some people like the look of something older with the convenience of a new watch. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

That said, if I bought a new one, I'd still want a 60's one too :)

love the big triangle... the search continues for one!

Hi

Along with the Pre-Moon Speedmaster , my favourite watch....well I would say that....I've now picked up a '61 14755 sm300 aswell

Best - Neil

Journeyman
    The Seamaster 300 also became for me something of an obsession, one which actually continues to this day. For the past 12 months I have rarely worn anything else.

A good starting point for a first piece would be a nice all original vintage 165.024, preferably with a flat link bracelet. I personally think that the so called NOS re-builds are a nonsense which only serve to confuse the novice collector and depress the value of the genuine article.

With or without the big triangle, gladiator or candlestick hands, it doesn't really matter, they are all aesthetically pleasing and very nicely balanced on or off the wrist.

This one was lovely, sold now, only a shame that the hands had been re-filled.

Here with the earlier 165.014

Here a couple of 2913's a 14755 and the 165.014

Just make sure you buy the right one, better to spend a bit too much money once and be really happy than to save a few bob on the wrong one and then regret it later! That's my experience anyway.

Good luck with the search as it can prove to be quite a challenge to hunt a good one down, and when you've got it don't let it go, everybody regrets it!

Best,

Chris

Craftsman
    Some fabulous examples on this thread i must say. I haven't got a side by side comparative shot but this'll give you an idea.

Width and height not much in it due to them sharing the same basic lyre lugged case shape, the the asymetric Speedmaster Professonal case gives you more steel and less bezel if you see what I mean but I think it wears slightly smaller than the SM300 due to the thinner bezel and finer markers etc. Weight wise little appreciable difference and both extremely comfortable and fit under dress shirts and caual wear.

Cheers

Ian

Bloody love this thread! You're all making me even more tempted to get one!

Thanks for the pics and advice chaps, the big triangle versions look fantastic!!

Can anyone give me advice on the best place to source a decent SM300? I've placed an add on WTB here as a starting point.

I'd stick to here if I was you.

I'm confident buying from the bay etc but it is a minefield.
    Why not PM some of the members who have posted theirs?
    For the right price everything is for sale (Not mine obviously)

Mr Flame has some stunning examples there, as a newbie you'd be better paying top dollar for one that is right.

Good luck, Colin.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 23rd February 2013 at 12:19.

Thanks for the advice Colin, I'm definately not confident enough to make a purchase from the bay with all the fakes etc around.

I had a tentative look for one of these a year or so ago and there seemed to be plenty knocking around at that time but not so now, I wonder if this is due to the watchco's no longer being available?

I guess some patience will be required on this one!

Mine was my first purchase on TZ-UK and it is an STS built number

I have debated for months now on whether to sell or not but it always ends up on the wrist when I dig it out. Personally, I think it has more presence than a Speedmaster and a little more heft. A classic design that's up there with the Submariner.

Here's mine, bought from Mike Wood many moons ago...

Quote Originally Posted by cristos71 View Post
    Just make sure you buy the right one, better to spend a bit too much money once and be really happy than to save a few bob on the wrong one and then regret it later! That's my experience anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    as a newbie you'd be better paying top dollar for one that is right.
    Top advice - I bought a couple very badly before stumbling across mine, mainly due to seeing a "bargain" and stumbling in. The result is that I lost a small amount of cash on one with fake case/dial/hands which I managed to get the seller to buy back, albeit at less money than I'd given him for it, and another which the seller reassured me was all good, or my money back which arrived and looked awful (complete with an artificially "aged" service replacement bezel), after which the seller dissapeared.

Live and learn, I guess...

The good one was twice the cost of the one I returned and about £300 more than the bodged age-job one (which didn't even contain the right movement), so all in all, I guess I spent almost twice as much on my SM300 journey than I needed to. Lesson learnt.

I don't have a problem with NOS. My STS is maybe my favourite watch. Love the vintage ones, and admire the big triangle, but mine has great lume (which is a big point with me) and the same classy styling, so what's not to like? As long as it is never passed off as true vintage of course.

The thing that's swaying me towards a NOS build is that I think I'd be scared of wearing a decent vintage for fear of damaging it on nights out/ holidays etc. Whereas with the NOS version you can always replace the bezel etc if you put a ding in it.

Anyone else feel this way? I've not had any vintage watches before.

Lovely watches and one I ve come so close to buying several times. What's the going rate for a watch Co one these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    The thing that's swaying me towards a NOS build is that I think I'd be scared of wearing a decent vintage for fear of damaging it on nights out/ holidays etc. Whereas with the NOS version you can always replace the bezel etc if you put a ding in it.

Anyone else feel this way? I've not had any vintage watches before.
    Well, I used to feel that way. The solution was not a WatchCo, but simply a well used old case with correct movement and then new dial/hands/bezel. Used that as a "beater". The first in the below pictures. But I still wanted the real deal and didn't stop until I managed to have them all :-) Some of them below. Happy hunting...

That's the perfect solution Cox, anyone know of a clapped out cheap but original one that I can have restored? :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    Some fabulous examples on this thread i must say. I haven't got a side by side comparative shot but this'll give you an idea.

Width and height not much in it due to them sharing the same basic lyre lugged case shape, the the asymetric Speedmaster Professonal case gives you more steel and less bezel if you see what I mean but I think it wears slightly smaller than the SM300 due to the thinner bezel and finer markers etc. Weight wise little appreciable difference and both extremely comfortable and fit under dress shirts and caual wear.

Cheers

Ian

Banned
    watchco serviced by STS the perfect choice.
    its one lovely watch.