closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A really rare and interesting incoming: Speedmaster 125 with 'strapper' case

Master

A really rare and interesting incoming: Speedmaster 125 with 'strapper' case

Hi all

Just done a pre deal on this beauty, not something you see every day, supposedly a strapper Speedie 125, it is coming to me from a completely reliable source who bought it from the original owner, supplied with original docs etc and confirmation from the original owner that this is exactly how he bought it! I dont have any reason for me to suspect it is not legitimate, however, I have never seen a strapper 125!

Thoughts and opinions welcome, pics aren't mine as I am not expecting delivery for a week or two once I am 100% about the deal

Cheers Tom

Last edited by dickstar1977; 22nd February 2013 at 00:26.

Fake

Craftsman
    excuse my ignorance...Strapper case refers to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim: View Post
    Fake

My thoughts too which is why I posted before completing the deal! However, the case is remarkably similar to the 125, I've seen movement pics and it is definitely a 1041: 125 movement and dial, inner case and case back so my first thought was is it a different outer-case from an different manufacturer (I know that others used this design from omega, like Lemania) but again I have never seen this design!

It's not often something spikes my interest like this!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    excuse my ignorance...Strapper case refers to?
    Speedy 125's had an integral bracelet and I have never seen one without one, strapper refers to the fact that it has a case design that could accommodate a strap or a bracelet

Cheers Tom

Craftsman
    Ah, I see, thanks for taking the time.

Blog Entries
    Interesting Tom...

As the 125 has the modular case, (like the Speedmaster 1045) do you think it's possible that the case was modified / made especially as a one off by someone, designed to take the inner movement module?

I've seen it done before for a 1045 where a lugged case was made up, I think it may be on Chucks site?

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Interesting Tom...

As the 125 has the modular case, (like the Speedmaster 1045) do you think it's possible that the case was modified / made especially as a one off by someone, designed to take the inner movement module?

I've seen it done before for a 1045 where a lugged case was made up, I think it may be on Chucks site?

Rob
    Rob

I think that could be the only solution, I have run through as many Lemania and Omega based 1040-1045 cases as I could find, even considering the FIFA watch, Tissot Navigators etc etc but can't find a single one like this, the case is clearly original (IMHO) as you can see it was original brushed but has worn, it doesn't appear to be a modified 125 case but does share the same general design! Not often an Omega peaks my interest like this, fake or not it is certainly an interesting one!

Cheers Tom
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 22nd February 2013 at 00:55.

Blog Entries
    I suspect it would take some significant engineering skill to produce a case that would accept the inner module, (although certainly doable) that would support it being made by Omega or at least their case manufacturers?

The drilled lugs are intriguing also...

Be interesting to see more pics when it arrives mate.

Rob

*Edit: I don't for a second think there's anything fake about the watch - even if the case was not 'Omega' and specially commissioned by someone as a replacement etc that wouldn't say 'fake' to me, but definitely unique!*
    Last edited by AIDM; 22nd February 2013 at 00:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    I suspect it would take some significant engineering skill to produce a case that would accept the inner module, (although certainly doable) that would support it being made by Omega or at least their case manufacturers?

The drilled lugs are intriguing also...

Be interesting to see more pics when it arrives mate.

Rob

*Edit: I don't for a second think there's anything fake about the watch - even if the case was not 'Omega' and specially commissioned by someone as a replacement etc that wouldn't say 'fake' to me, but definitely unique!*
    Rob

My thoughts exactly, why go to that much trouble? The only thing I can think is that it is either some obscure outercase that I have never seen (which of course is possible) with a 125 inner dropped in to it or it is a custom job by Fontana (who made Omegas cases at that time)! either way very interesting!

I suspect this is exactly as Rob said, a 125 originally, but that has been significantly modified, like the one he refers to that Chuck came across and eventually bought - a 176.0012 that ended up like this

The reasons I suspect this?
    One is that there is no sharp eedge anywhere on the case front. It is all rounded. Omega were masters at the brushed front and sides, with polished chamfer.
    I am pretty sure the texture that is there is not aged original, but re-applied with a Garryflex block. I did some, and it looks just like that, it kind of peters out at the edges, whereas proper lapping on a sharp chamfer has a razor edge to it.
    Also, the lug recess looks like a large channel has been machined out of the outer case, straight through, so there is no "back" to the lug recess other than the inner case, thus exposing the retianing gasket, not ideal.
    Lastly, drilled lugs?
    When did Omega do that to a Speedy?

Either done out of personal taste or due to extensive damage, I really am convinced that it is a mod. And I guess not officially done, but personally.

But a pretty cool (and totally unique) one.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Makes you wonder how reliable the seller is, given that this is a one owner watch!

Master
    Is it not just one of these:

But had the case modified (polished, smoothed) and the lugs drilled?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Lastly, drilled lugs? When did Omega do that to a Speedy?
    Agree, that would be a big concern for me.

Hi Tom

I would definitely go with the heavily modified 125 case on this one....knowing the size of the 125 case probably 'dinked' within an inch of it's life originally !

Best - Neil

That watch case is polished to death.

The 125th anniversary has a so called "Tonneau"-Case with it's Watch-Module, calibre 1041
    (like the Mark 4,date, calibre 1040; and the Mark 4-5,day+date, calibre 1045; and the Lobster, cal.1255)

Here some pic's of the real thing - NOS

and in the garage ...

Master
    XJ220... lovely :)

Just bumped into this while sorting my RSS feeds, what was the outcome?