closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Products that fail to live up to expectations....

Products that fail to live up to expectations....

.... in my case for unforeseen, but plain to see in hindsight reasons.

Ceramic bladed peeler - like this.

It just does not work for the simple reason that the blades do not flex enough to fit the veg in hand.

So very disappointed.

What marketing traps has anyone else fallen into?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blackberry bold - first one didn't allow me to hear the caller. Screen has touch screen capability but is too small to use. Keyboard is too small to use. It is very difficult to type numbers because you have to use a modifier key. Operating system and applications are cheap nasty and unusable.

HP laptop. Somebody thought it was a good idea to integrated a vertical row of function buttons to the right of the keyboard. Ina use of the enter key means that the cursor jumps around unpredictably turning typing into drudge. Half my attention has to be given to making sure that the document is properly typed rather than concentrating solely on the complex content of technical documents. The laptop is heavy but fragile and I have already had one fail.

Windows 7. Somebody though it would be a very bright idea to add task bars that reduce the usable vertical height of the screen. The task bar/ribbon at the top changes perpetually in an attempt to provide contextual information. This might work if the machine was clever enough to understand how I work but it doesn't. Using the interface then becomes an unpleasant drudge and much of my valuable time is now spent trying to find functionality which used to be in a predictable place but now isn't. Once again I am forced to spend more time looking for functionality than working the effort of which destroys my train of though. This is an operating system written by people who have absolutely no regard or care for producing usable equipment or for my mental wellbeing whilst I'm using it.

I have to use this excremental system for work. One reason I dream of winning the lottery is that I can buy this dreck from my employer, beat it to within an inch of it's life before consigning it to a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

.... in my case for unforeseen, but plain to see in hindsight reasons.

Ceramic bladed peeler - like this.

It just does not work for the simple reason that the blades do not flex enough to fit the veg in hand.

So very disappointed.

What marketing traps has anyone else fallen into?
    I had one similar, but the blade kept popping out of the clips. It was quite good otherwise. Not as sharp as the steel one I replaced it with.

@Win 7. Turn the Task Bar off. I've been using Win 7 since it came out and don't recognise the issues you're having. I've never seen a ribbon at the top and the bottom Task Bar has auto hide.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 21st February 2013 at 18:56.

Black and Decker steam mop. Total crap. Never produced enough steam to clean the.floor properly. Went through 3 under warranty as they all stopped actually bloody steaming after 3 goes and just became an expensive way to dribble hot water on my floor.

I know my wife is not technically a product but..................

Other people.

Re: Products that fail to live up to expectations....

Those circular 'easy cut' hair clippers. Totally fell for the 'much easier to use to do your own hair' hype. Reality is it doesn't deal with the bulk of the head any better than normal clippers and is rubbish around the ears, in the nape of the neck etc. Ended up using them about four times before I worked out it took longer than my old trimmers and I still got those out to finish off any way...

Oh and any paint which claims to be 'one coat'

Angry

Any Remington product, don't seem to be able to handle my stubble/ beard, shit battery life, broken returned couple times gave up; no wonder Boots do them "half price".

Craftsman
    Lynx!

Microwave ovens.
    Dyson vacuum cleaners, great for a few months then my £20 Tesco special has more "suck".

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Lynx!
    +1.....didnt get harassed by fit birds and gave me a rash....

Banned

for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    I know my wife is not technically a product but..................
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    ...great for a few months then my £20 Tesco special has more "suck".
    Don't you just love thread juxtapositions ; )

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post

for me anyway.
    That's interesting because I love mine. Saved a fortune on blades. Only used 3 since I go it over a year ago.

Maybe it's your technique or you have super stubble! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Lynx!
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond View Post
    +1.....didnt get harassed by fit birds and gave me a rash....
    I thought only teenage boys wore that, and by wear I mean a "can a pit" application, so it's like being tear-gassed when you walk within 10 feet of them.

Master
    Golden Delicious

neither golden or delicious

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    That's interesting because I love mine. Saved a fortune on blades. Only used 3 since I go it over a year ago.

Maybe it's your technique or you have super stubble! :)
    I think it might be me.

So what's your favourite technique

Craftsman
    Any Kettle.

A bugbear of mine, all they have to do is boil water and pour it. They boil it fine, but i'm yet to find one that pours it satisfactorily without some dribbling, or coming sideways out of the spout, or running down the front of the kettle.
    Aaaaargh! I was about to have a Coffee, but now i've reminded myself, I just don't need the stress!

- - - Updated - - -

Any Kettle.

A bugbear of mine, all they have to do is boil water and pour it. They boil it fine, but i'm yet to find one that pours it satisfactorily without some dribbling, or coming sideways out of the spout, or running down the front of the kettle.
    Aaaaargh! I was about to have a Coffee, but now i've reminded myself, I just don't need the stress!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Any Remington product, don't seem to be able to handle my stubble/ beard, shit battery life, broken returned couple times gave up; no wonder Boots do them "half price".
    This. ^^
    Bloody Victor Kiam

those crappy stainless steel teapots that you get served tea in, in cafe's.
    shite! all they have to do is pour tea, but no- it goes anywhere but the cup!
    I bet these are an "in joke" with the chinese who make them!
    grrr!

Any Vax product. Utter crap. I have a carpet cleaner which is almost useless.
    Quite happy with Dyson and Remmington, which have been mentioned already.

Master
    A cheap Chinese tap and die set that I once bought. I didn't have particularly high expectations, but I didn't buy it to cut any new threads - just to clean up existing ones. It was a comprehensive kit - but absolutely none of the threads were correct (they all had the wrong pitch), it was also made from metal so soft that a standard 8.8 bolt could cut a new thread in the dies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    those crappy stainless steel teapots that you get served tea in, in cafe's.
    shite! all they have to do is pour tea, but no- it goes anywhere but the cup!
    I bet these are an "in joke" with the chinese who make them!
    grrr!
    A design seemingly unchanged since the depths of time (or least since I was a kid) - how are the still selling the damm things.

You need a saucer with these as most of the tea ends up in the saucer (you can then pour it into the cup ...).

Has anyone mentioned tetrapaks yet?

Quite amusing to open one with the intention of not spilling the contents.

Master
    Bagless cyclonic vacuum cleaners including Dyson and all the clones. What a complete con! Instead of periodically replacing a nice clean hidden paper bag, you regularly have to fanny about cleaning foam filters and emptying dusty containers. And who thought it was agood idea to make them transparent? I for one have no desire to view the filth and detritus that's found its way on to my floor.

Almond milk, thought I would try some, 'cause I quite like almonds.

"Made from Almonds" it says....no its fekking not, its made from water and sugar with just 2 percent almonds.

Grand Master
    Samsung TV and DVD recorder, bought a few years ago at considerable expense. Despite extensive efforts, the remote for the TV wouldn`t run both.

The TV needed repairing twice in it's 3rd year owing to faulty capacitors in the power supply (under-specked, apparently).

The DVD recorder has had very little use for playing DVDs but it's given up the ghost and the repair (new disc drive unit and laser) will cost £110. I`d accept this if it'd been used alot, but it hasn`t.

SAMSUNG = SHIT in my book; I`ll never buy any of their products again. Our local repair shop recommend Panasonic stuff.

Paul

Master
    Dyson for me too. What a complete pile of crap.

Craftsman
    All French cars.

Master
    It's not as annoying as recent versions of MS Office as referred to above, but I was a little disappointed with ny Fuji X-10.

Looks great, works well, eats batteries at a ridiculous rate. The battery in my LX-3 would manage a week of heavy use on holiday; the X-10 struggles to last a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Dyson for me too. What a complete pile of crap.
    Agreed. We now have a Henry and the Dyson has been relegated to the garage for hoovering the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Agreed. We now have a Henry and the Dyson has been relegated to the garage for hoovering the cars.
    Nice to know I am not the only one who thinks Dysons are a con job. Utterly useless.
    Last edited by quoll; 23rd February 2013 at 00:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Any Kettle.

- - - Updated - - -

Any Kettle.

I have a DēLonghi, works a treat!

As for stuff that doesn't work... Those scrapers that are supposed to help you remove silicone/sealant. Why don't they just admit that you can't remove it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Windows 7. Somebody though it would be a very bright idea to add task bars that reduce the usable vertical height of the screen. The task bar/ribbon at the top changes perpetually in an attempt to provide contextual information.
    You seem to be referring to Office 2007/2010 rather than Windows-7. It is possible to run the older version of Office (2003) under Windows-7. However, I agree with your points about the changes in Office. Personally, I think MS should have allowed users to switch between menu mode (old-style), and the newer "ribbon".

The interface of Windows-7 itself really isn't much different to XP. But if you dislike that, wait until you see Windows-8 with Office-2013!

Quote Originally Posted by wajhart View Post
    You seem to be referring to Office 2007/2010 rather than Windows-7. It is possible to run the older version of Office (2003) under Windows-7. However, I agree with your points about the changes in Office. Personally, I think MS should have allowed users to switch between menu mode (old-style), and the newer "ribbon".

The interface of Windows-7 itself really isn't much different to XP. But if you dislike that, wait until you see Windows-8 with Office-2013!
    I have to use this excremental software because it, and the lamentable HP laptop it is installed on, are work issue, so I don't really have a choice about the version of Office I have to use.

This evening I spent a miserable 3 hours trying to make an iPad mini I brought for my partners birthday work with my router. I failed. This means that to make a birthday present work I will have to buy a new router. Of course there is no guarantee that this new router will work either.

Every time I buy some form of new technology I have to upgrade something, or replace another piece of equipment. If I buy a new camera the chances are that it won't work with my current copy of photoshop. But to upgrade photoshop I'll need an upgraded OS. The upgraded OS won't work on my current hardware so I have to buy a new computer. The new computer no longer supports older connection types which means I can't physically connect my very expensive film scanner, but that doesn't really matter because the manufacturer has gone bust anyway and no longer produces software for the device. Of course I can buy third party software but it costs a fortune. I have drawers in my room full of SCSI, USB 1, USB mini, firewire 400 and firewire 800 leads. I have connectors for several generations of mobile phones. I have midi leads. I have old floppy drives, and cds and dvds.

In short I'm drowning in junk.

I'm a slave to products that always promise the world and seldom even deliver the minimum of functionality. I suffer a four hour commute everyday to finance this stuff. I sit on a train surrounded by the living dead glued to their phone or plugged into their smart phone.

And I've had enough. I'd like to have written something more witty, something funny about all of this, but it's got to a point that its no longer a laughing matter.

Banned
    I purchased a copy of a DVD entitled "Bald and Barely Legal."

While it turned out to be rather informative on tyre tread safety issues it was not exactly what I had in mind...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post

While it turned out to be rather informative on tyre tread safety issues it was not exactly what I had in mind...
    Awesome !

Toyota 2010 Landcruiser. Toyota have really let themselves down, not a great car and costs as much as a range rover!

Chris

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Those circular 'easy cut' hair clippers. Totally fell for the 'much easier to use to do your own hair' hype. Reality is it doesn't deal with the bulk of the head any better than normal clippers and is rubbish around the ears, in the nape of the neck etc. Ended up using them about four times before I worked out it took longer than my old trimmers and I still got those out to finish off any way...

Oh and any paint which claims to be 'one coat'

?

Too funny.

Master
    Any Microsoft product, but then again my expectations are now that they are going to cause me hassle.
    Any time I waste using my iMac is guaranteed to be Microsoft related, especially Office updates.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Almond milk, thought I would try some, 'cause I quite like almonds.

"Made from Almonds" it says....no its fekking not, its made from water and sugar with just 2 percent almonds.
    You ever tried to milk an Almond? I couldn't even find the nipples.

Master
    Featherlight condoms!!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    You ever tried to milk an Almond? I couldn't even find the nipples.
    So its true about Marc Almond...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Your post has reopened a deep, traumatic wound that I thought I had managed to bury.

When I was around 11 or 12 my mother fell for one of those TV ad's from K-tel, or perhaps Ronco, for a do-it-yourself hair trimmer - 'no more money wasted at the barber's or hairdresser's, save yourself a fortune, etc., etc.'. Essentially it comprised of two comb-shaped pieces of plastic with a double-edged razor blade sandwiched between.

Anyway, I was put on the kitchen chair, and a towel was wrapped around my neck in a most professional manner. And then, with a single maladroit stroke the back of my head felt suddenly chilly and a large lock of hair lay on the kitchen floor. But that was not all, dear mater then started to try to repair the damage, by 'evening it up'.

Then school the next day, with my the back of my head shaved like a neuro patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    It's not as annoying as recent versions of MS Office as referred to above, but I was a little disappointed with ny Fuji X-10.

Looks great, works well, eats batteries at a ridiculous rate. The battery in my LX-3 would manage a week of heavy use on holiday; the X-10 struggles to last a day.
    As a LX 3 and a X10 owner, I totally agree, I carry a spare charged battery with me for the X10 as I have been caught out a few times.

For me it was one of those babyliss disc cut your own hair thing's that allows you rub all over your head thus giving you the perfect hair cut, spurred on by my wife who said you will not need to ask me to clip your own hair ( or what I have left as hair ), I bought one.

They are beyond rubbish, looked like I had tried to cut my hair with a plastic knife, which would have been easier and quicker than this useless product. I went back to clippers and pestering my wife to get the bits I had missed.

Weirdly I still have the useless thing although I do not use it, can not throw it away as I wasted £30 on it and if I keep it, it stops someone else being equally disappointed with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Your post has reopened a deep, traumatic wound that I thought I had managed to bury.

When I was around 11 or 12 my mother fell for one of those TV ad's from K-tel, or perhaps Ronco, for a do-it-yourself hair trimmer - 'no more money wasted at the barber's or hairdresser's, save yourself a fortune, etc., etc.'. Essentially it comprised of two comb-shaped pieces of plastic with a double-edged razor blade sandwiched between.

Anyway, I was put on the kitchen chair, and a towel was wrapped around my neck in a most professional manner. And then, with a single maladroit stroke the back of my head felt suddenly chilly and a large lock of hair lay on the kitchen floor. But that was not all, dear mater then started to try to repair the damage, by 'evening it up'.

Then school the next day, with my the back of my head shaved like a neuro patient.
    Similar here, I had a big week coming up and was going to be manning a stand at a trade fair, on the Sunday before I cut my own hair with the clippers - number 4 all over,so far so good.

All she had to do was tidy up around the back, so I took the guard off and explained "no guard - blah blah", so she carried on talking to her mum and ran the clippers straight up the back of my head almost to the crown.

What followed was some swearing, stifled laughter and the wife, her mother and 3 kids trying to convince me it didn't notice.

To make matters worse she told some colleagues and some customers that she knew so people were going out of their way to find out why my hair was so short.

It sometimes comes up in conversations and she thinks its hilarious, I still have not seen the funny side yet.

products

Definitely a Dyson and latterly a Miele. Oh yeah a Triumph with a chocolate gearbox. When it worked it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    Similar here, I had a big week coming up and was going to be manning a stand at a trade fair, on the Sunday before I cut my own hair with the clippers - number 4 all over,so far so good.

All she had to do was tidy up around the back, so I took the guard off and explained "no guard - blah blah", so she carried on talking to her mum and ran the clippers straight up the back of my head almost to the crown.

What followed was some swearing, stifled laughter and the wife, her mother and 3 kids trying to convince me it didn't notice.

To make matters worse she told some colleagues and some customers that she knew so people were going out of their way to find out why my hair was so short.

It sometimes comes up in conversations and she thinks its hilarious, I still have not seen the funny side yet.
    Not sure I'd be laughing either.

I had a similar experience when I went to a barbers recommended by my wife. Apparently, the husband of a friend of hers 'went there regularly'. God knows why - it looked like a dingy excuse for an establishment with inexperienced staff but as it had been recommended - and I needed a haircut before a pitch I was giving - I went in.

The first cut took off almost all the hair at the front of my head. As I sat there, I was reminded of the joke:

"Barber - I need my hair cut badly."

"Well, you've come to the right place, Sir."

Things went downhill from here and my blood pressure rose for the next 20 minutes as the ineptitude of the tonsorial blagger became more prominent.

I met my wife afterwards. I could see she was trying not to laugh as she walked towards me.

"So..."

**tries not to chortle**

"...how did it go?"

"Yes, I'm glad you asked. As you can see, I was attacked by a mentalist with a blunt spoon."

**more stifled laughter**

"Oh, it's not too bad - at least it looks neater now."

"Yes, neater. Stylish? No. Even? No. Professional? Certainly not. The good news is they've plenty of room in the diary so I've booked you in there for your next cut instead of the salon. I need to find a hat I can wear indoors. "

Jimmy Saville felt the same about Fox Kids. Allegedly.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez