closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which watch for my brother..a James Bond fan?

Craftsman

Cool Which watch for my brother..a James Bond fan?

Hi All,

I dont post much on here as I dont know that much about watches and I dont flip either, but I do pop in here most days. I'm looking for advice on what to buy my brother who is a life long James Bond fan. He's recently been through a serious illness and I said to myself if he makes it, then I'll get him something he's always wanted, a 'James Bond' watch. The question is what ? The recent films feature Omega and the obvious choice would be to the Bond 50th anniv special. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure he'd love it.

In the original novels Bond doesnt wear an Omega, but a Rolex, no idea what model, but I seem to remember 'Oyster Perpetual' being mentioned. So maybe a Rolex would be a better option. Would it be a better family heirloom to pass on one day? I did think about him a birth year Rolex (1961) but they seem so small and perhaps a little fragile these days? Or maybe a new model such as an Airking?, as it has the all important 'Oyster Perpetual on the dial.

Cost wise, I'm looking at about £3000, ideally bought new or as good as new from a dealer. I'd like to keep it as a surprise, so I'd rather not take him along to the dealer to decide for himself.

Cheers, Lee

Master
    Really glad to hear your brother is doing well now and this is a wonderful gesture from yourself. Whatever you buy him, he'll love I'm sure.

There have been several key watches throughout the years in terms of James Bond. The main culprits would be...

- Rolex 5513
    - Omega Seamaster 2531

...now the above are in your budget but long since out of production. There must be a dealer somewhere with a NOS Seamaster in their window but finding it would be a chore. Therefore, finding second hand variants would be the only route with these.

So, if it was me, I would narrow it down to...

- Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 RRP £3950 (quite heavy but I got used to it and would have another any day)
    - Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500 blue dial RRP c. £3750 (smaller than most watches these days but very elegant)

Both of these were featured in Skyfall, with the AT being shown throughout most of the film.

The RRPs are of course out of range, however, I know of at least one dealer that will offer 20% or so discount in Manchester and also, Swiss watches direct on the internet; A grey dealer but you'd still have full manufacturer warranty. Even if you don't use them, you could use their prices as a bartering tool.

Hope this helps and let us know what you buy for him.

For me, it would be a Rolex Sub ND. There is one on Sales Corner right now for £3250. Technically, it was the 5513 in Live and Let Die, but it's close enough and a modern classic.

Great history of the Bond Subs here http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/rolex-submariner/

Ian Fleming wore an Explorer and referenced to it Bond novels http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=120138

Craftsman
    Could have this?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeon-James...item257ad2b38f

I'd take £3000 for it?

Sorry not a shameless plug, just coincidental.

Hope i've been of help!

Si

Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond View Post
    Good choice, but a 4 month waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Good choice, but a 4 month waiting list.
    If you are lucky it will only be four months.

Submariner, or Seamaster - the best options and the only watches I have ever bought for men.
    It's just a matter of time...

A cheaper option to Rolex or Omega without having to go Seiko would be a (Tag) Heuer 1000 PVD, as worn by Bond in The Living Daylights http://www.calibre11.com/bond-tag-heuer/

Loads of them on Ebay for a few hundred quid
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-HEUER-...item3f21ef3094
    Last edited by zecko; 16th February 2013 at 00:17.

Craftsman
    Which ever one you get him he will like it, very nice thought.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear your brother is on the mend. I'd say rolex all the way. 3 grand would put you in the ball park of a sub non date which will look like the original 'bond' rolex. Also, for the real bond effect, stick it on a NATO.

Personally I have always found that the blue seamaster is more reprentative of the current Bond. As worn by Pierce Brosnan. If you are lucky you may find one of the limited edition James Bond releases of this model which were a lot more subtle than the later ones.

I would ask which era of Bond is his favourite. If its earlier Bond then has to be a Sub on a Nato, if its more modern then would be the Omega route.

Malc

Banned
    I would absolutely avoid a Bond themed one so no anniversary models etc. Bond would never wear such a thing!

so that leaves 5 choices really

Explorer 1 - what literary Bond probably wore
    Submariner date - Connery/Dalton
    Seamaster - Brosnan/Craig
    Planet Ocean - Craig
    Aqua Terra - Craig

The PO is a return to the classic black diver look most associated with Bond in most minds, the AT is an almost full circle return to the Exp 1 look.

As to which one; your budget allows pretty much any of the above, with a bit of stretch on the Rolexes. Perhaps just ask your brother which he likes most?

Craftsman
    Rolex's are many things to many people, but I've never heard them described as "fragile," even their Cellini line.

For me it would be the submariner, worn by Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton.

I'm not sure £3k would get you one though.

Have you asked your brother what he would prefer? Afterall, that's what counts.

Either way, pleased to hear you brother has pulled through whatever illness he had. Sounds serious as you said "if he pulled through..."

Good luck

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for replying, it seems my original thoughts of either a Seamaster or Rolex Explorer1 arent too far off the mark. I'm sure either would go down well with my brother, while the Rolex would have more cache and be more of an 'investment' not that I expect it ever to be sold.

There is clearly more value in buying secondhand, particularly vintage, but I've always been put off by the thought that its like buying a classic car with 200,000 miles on the clock, it looks great but how reliable will it be, and how much will it cost to keep it running well? I know its not as simple as that, but at the end of the day a vintage watch has a movement which must wear to some degree over the the years.

For myself I've tried a few of the Rolex models, but putting aside the lack of depreciation (seems to me Rolex are more of an alternative world currency than a watch company lol) I havent yet convinced myself to buy one, though my resistance to the brand is starting to fade and I'm slowly edging towards a Sub c.

Cheers, Lee

Master
    The rarest of all ...

...from here ... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SWISS-MADE-TIME?_rdc=1

Which Bond is his favourite? You could then get the watch worn by that actor.

For what it's worth I always think of the Blue Seamaster when I think of a Bond watch.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post

For what it's worth I always think of the Blue Seamaster when I think of a Bond watch.
    Same, had a look at one today and tried it on. From a distance it looks plain, but after trying the brand on for the first time, the feeling of class and quality is unbelievable.

I am glad your brother is doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    ...I'm sure either would go down well with my brother, while the Rolex would have more cache and be more of an 'investment' not that I expect it ever to be sold.
    I'm sure he will tell you he loves it but unless someone has a expressed a desire for a certain watch there is no telling whether they will like a particular model or if it will even fit to their liking. I am James Bond fan (isn't everyone?) but if someone gave me a limited edition Bond watch I would smile outwardly and cringe inside.

Watches are very personal so the chances of you shopping around and getting exactly what he wants are pretty slim. For the amount of money you are talking you really want to get it right. I know you would like it to be a surprise but if the cost of surprising him is getting the wrong watch for him - especially if he doesn't care for it but feels he must pretend to like it - the cost is far too high and your brother will be the one suffering that cost.

Don't get your brother a vintage watch. Unless he is a watch person (most are not) he will likely not be impressed.

If you want to buy him a watch buy a new one and make sure you can exchange it. Or give him a card with a photo of a watch in it. Make an afternoon of it. Have lunch with him, give him the watch (or card) and then take him to the dealer to get it sized or exchanged, whichever he prefers.
    Last edited by Saxon007; 16th February 2013 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I am glad your brother is doing better.

1) but if someone gave me a limited edition Bond watch I would smile outwardly and cringe inside.

2) If you want to buy him a watch buy a new one and make sure you can exchange it or give him a card with a photo of a watch in it. Make an afternoon of it. Have lunch with him, give him the watch (or card) and then take him to the dealer to get it sized or exchanged, whichever he prefers.
    1) Don't forget selling it when they leave. ;)

2) That's a brilliant idea. You could also just give him the card and arrange a day out with him when you speak to him. I always enjoy days out with people like that, a bit of food and watch shopping sounds excellent!

Bond watch = Rolex Explorer, and anything else is marketing.

Good news about your brother. All the Bond watches mentioned vary a great deal in size and fit and going vintage poses quite a few minefields if going the Rolex route of a 5513, and the older bond Omegas look a bit tatty to my eyes. I would be tempted to look at the new Omega range with him in tow so he could try on the watches and get the one that suits him best. He would be the first owner get a guarantee and you would not worry about buying a lemon, and he could chose the one he wants.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As somebody said earlier

What / who is his favourite Bond?

This will make it even a better gift and an easier decision.

Then again if it is Daniel Craig then you have 5 watches to choose from :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    I would ask which era of Bond is his favourite. If its earlier Bond then has to be a Sub on a Nato, if its more modern then would be the Omega route.

Malc
    ^^^ This.

Remember, if you're going the sub on a nato route to buy a strap that's too narrow for the watch. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post

Malc
    And thats the correct answer. It really is as simple as "who's your favourite Bond?".
    But just watch people try to complicate things.
    Im surprised we've not had the retarded "Daniel Craig wears rolex" post yet, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post

And thats the correct answer. It really is as simple as "who's your favourite Bond?".
    But just watch people try to complicate things.
    Im surprised we've not had the retarded "Daniel Craig wears rolex" post yet, haha!
    That theory doesn't necessarily work. I think Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond but I'd much rather have a Sub than an AT or PO. If that complicates things than so be it.

Master
    Was there a winner on this Merch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Was there a winner on this Merch?
    Havent decided just yet, but its a choice between a new SMP or a secondhand Rolex.. an Explorer1 or a nice Datejust. There is a local AD who are having a 'retirement sale' they used to be a Rolex AD, they have a few Rolexes in the window including a couple of nice Datejusts both about £2800, not sure what year they are etc, but they look in very good condition. I may go and have a look and see if I can get a discount, as then the price will be around the same as a new SMP. I think given the choice my brother would go for Rolex every time.

Master
    Don't forget the Breitling Top Time from Thunderball. A good one would come well under budget.

Grand Master
    Classic bond has to be 5513

Modern Bond Planet Ocean 45mm

Had both and 5513 is classic but light and just there, 8500 PO is fantastic, I had mine for sale as it was brand new and having worn it I realise just how superb it is which really took me by surprise as I did not expect it to be so (and Ive had a few over the years to compare it too)
    RIAC

Apprentice
    For me it's got to be the seamaster (like the one I've just bought lol)

But as most of the other poster's have said, it depends which era of bond is his favourite

Good luck in your search etc :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi All,

I dont post much on here as I dont know that much about watches and I dont flip either, but I do pop in here most days. I'm looking for advice on what to buy my brother who is a life long James Bond fan. He's recently been through a serious illness and I said to myself if he makes it, then I'll get him something he's always wanted, a 'James Bond' watch. The question is what ? The recent films feature Omega and the obvious choice would be to the Bond 50th anniv special. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure he'd love it.

In the original novels Bond doesnt wear an Omega, but a Rolex, no idea what model, but I seem to remember 'Oyster Perpetual' being mentioned. So maybe a Rolex would be a better option. Would it be a better family heirloom to pass on one day? I did think about him a birth year Rolex (1961) but they seem so small and perhaps a little fragile these days? Or maybe a new model such as an Airking?, as it has the all important 'Oyster Perpetual on the dial.

Cost wise, I'm looking at about £3000, ideally bought new or as good as new from a dealer. I'd like to keep it as a surprise, so I'd rather not take him along to the dealer to decide for himself.

Cheers, Lee
    What a kind gesture Lee, your budget of 3000 biffs would afford a Rolex ND Sub.

Hope your bro is on the mend mate.

Geoffo

as others have said, the rolex explorer 1 is what ian fleming wore and what he gave james bond in the books, and the no date sub (not sure of ref) was the one on connery in dr no

i would say for a lifelong james bond fan maybe a modern explorer 1 like 14270 or no date sub 14060m would both be really cool, the 40mm sub would be bigger than the 36mm explorer, maybe you could find one within your budget, both are oyster perpetual (oyster case/bracelet and automatic) and would represent better heirloom value than an omega james bond model i think

best wishes to your brother

Journeyman
    I got into this thread rather late, and read it through. So very glad to hear that your brother is on the mend.

Lots of people think that the Explorer I might be a good option. Just took some wrist shots of mine tonight, it's the older 36mm model, which might be more appropriate, as it's the original Explorer I size. My wrist is 7.5in, which is average size. I think the trend is toward larger watches these days, but I like this size:

This size I don't think you would find new. But for your price range, there are a lot of excellent pre owned ones on the market.

My other thought would be the new Omega Seamaster Pro 300M. It's available in medium 36mm or large 41mm. Here's a link to it (large) on the Omega website:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/se...21230412001003
    It would probably be just about your price range in GBP, as it's $4400 here is Canada, or in the USA. There is the 007 Limited Edition, which is about a grand more. The dial actually looks a lot better in person. You might want to take a look at them also.
    Any of the other Omegas already suggested, and the one with the blue dial, are great as well.

Cheers, best wishes to you and your brother,
    Carl

I would buy him the modern version of the Seiko 7549-7009 Tuna diver that Roger Moore wore.

http://jamesbondwatchesblog.com/2011...iver-aka-tuna/

You will be able to pick one up for £3000. Classic Bond heritage!

Craftsman

An update

Hi all,

An update.. My brother has been given the all clear with his Cancer and started back at work last week. So today, I went over to the Trafford Centre to keep the promise I made to myself. The choice was between a new Omega SMP or a Rolex. I managed to find out he'd prefer a Rolex, so had a look at the cheaper end of the scale. He didn't need a date function, as he wouldn't wear it everyday, as he works in a smelting plant. My initial thought was to go for an Air king, but having seen them in the metal, it was clear they were too small. That left only one option.. an Explorer I. Its bought and paid for, but I left it at the shop, as tomorrow I'm taking him to collect it, and for the bracelet to be sized. He doesn't know anything yet, just that I need some help for an hour of two tomorrow. Hope he likes it !

PS while I was there, I put my name down for a black Daytona. They said they only got about two a year, while the waiting list looked to have about 15 names on it, just for a black one. But it seems many of the list either don't go ahead with the purchase or get turned down for credit when they get to the top of the list. Having bought two Rolexes this year, I'm now a 'regular customer' so I was given the impression I wont have to wait too long.. we'll see.

Journeyman
    Solid choice - now you just have to decide which variant of the Bond NATO you'll stick it on!

Master
    Fantastic news Merch. Can't put a price on that kind of news. Great news on the Explorer I - many recommended it I know. Good luck tomorrow on keeping the secret till the last minute.

Gav

Hi all,

An update.. My brother has been given the all clear with his Cancer and started back at work last week. So today, I went over to the Trafford Centre to keep the promise I made to myself. The choice was between a new Omega SMP or a Rolex. I managed to find out he'd prefer a Rolex, so had a look at the cheaper end of the scale. He didn't need a date function, as he wouldn't wear it everyday, as he works in a smelting plant. My initial thought was to go for an Air king, but having seen them in the metal, it was clear they were too small. That left only one option.. an Explorer I. Its bought and paid for, but I left it at the shop, as tomorrow I'm taking him to collect it, and for the bracelet to be sized. He doesn't know anything yet, just that I need some help for an hour of two tomorrow. Hope he likes it !

PS while I was there, I put my name down for a black Daytona. They said they only got about two a year, while the waiting list looked to have about 15 names on it, just for a black one. But it seems many of the list either don't go ahead with the purchase or get turned down for credit when they get to the top of the list. Having bought two Rolexes this year, I'm now a 'regular customer' so I was given the impression I wont have to wait too long.. we'll see.
    Great news for your brother there!
    Just wondering, why - given the circumstances - were you budgeting for a used watch for him when you can afford to order a new daytona for yourself?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Great news for your brother there!
    Just wondering, why - given the circumstances - were you budgeting for a used watch for him when you can afford to order a new daytona for yourself?
    At the time I originally posted, I had in mind buying him a SMP, as that seemed the most obvious Bond watch, hence I gave myself a budget of around £3000.. which also would've meant I could've bought a s/h Rolex. I'd much prefer to buy new, as it removes any potential risk of mechanical problems etc. Later, I managed to turn a conversion to watches and wasn't surprised when my brother expressed a preference for Rolex. He would be happy with any nice watch I'm sure, but in the end I decided not to cut corners by going s/h or buying an Air King.

As for affording them, well, I don't work anymore so I probably shouldn't be buying Rolexes, but hey ho, we all make our choices.

You're a good brother !
    I love my brother and your sentiment hits home for me.

Ok , this is something that he's going to live with day to day.
    If he's not fully WIS & he's not into vintage things in general then the expense & effort to get a vintage Rolex may well be lost on him.

On the other hand a new, waterproof & reliable Omega is definately going to impress him.
    Have a look at the Aquaterra, its bloody good looking & I'm not generally into modern watches as I'm a confirmed vintage Heuer fan-boy !
    Go & look at them in the metal , I'm sure that will help you decide.

Best of health to him - Darren

Master
    Brilliant news :-) Always great to read stories like this. You also have great taste in watches... the Daytona being something I own and adore.

Let us know what he thinks of his Explorer... as if we don't know the outcome already

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wishing your brother all the best for the future. Good news. I'm sure he'll love the new watch.

Hi all,

An update.. My brother has been given the all clear with his Cancer
    fantastic news, congratulations

Thats awesome news and good on ya for deciding not to cur corners. Wish your brother many more years of good health!

It's great to hear a story like that, that ends happily and I'm pleased to hear he's working again. I'm sure he'll be thrilled with the watch, tell him we'll need a wrist shot too !

Master
    Great to hear he's got the all clear, and what a lovely way to celebrate!