closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

Sorry guys as I'm sure this has been done to death, I'm not looking for salvation or even a shoulder to cry on but I can't get my head round it!.

I decided when the sub LV came out I had to have one having never owned a Rolex, when I finally got my hands on one I was seriously underwhelmed, I know many will say I'm a fool but to my mind the bracelet was no better than that on my Steinhart and certainly no better than my SMP or PO bracelet, I wanted to love it but with it being 40mm and a very dark bezel it just looked small on my 8 inch wrist, I'm sure in some way this is due to my SMP being my smallest watch and most others being 44mm or larger?. I fully appreciate that this big watch thing is probably just a fad but honestly when you are 21 stone and have big arms 40mm does look a bit small.
    Imagine my delight when the new range came out, I fell in love with the white dialled explorer 2 and knew I had found "my rolex" .. until I tried one on yesterday!!!. Just not bowled over by it and yet all the press photos and images from owners here had be practically salivating at the prospect of getting one, but alas I find myself back where I started, I don't consider myself a luddite and have a fair few watches costing thousands, I can afford the watch so that's not an issue (although I do think the RRP is crazy these days on them), I've even been offered a very generous interest free option if I prefer, but on the wrist and to my eye I can't justify 5.6k on something that does not blow me away as it is stupid money for a watch if we are honest with ourselves.
    I tried on the black dial version too as I was not loving the very glossy black edges to the hands and markers, yet in the photos it was these details that drew me to the white face (plus the fact I don't have a white dial in my collection) in the first place!. Same deal with the black dial, I even checked myself in their shop mirror and it looked fine in the reflection and not at all small!.
    So am I mental, tight, not appreciating of the brand and it's quality or just so used to seeing a big watch on my wrist that I have lost my sense of perspective?, whatever it is I can't but my finger on it but maybe I'm just not a rolex kinda guy?!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Best not buy one then?!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Best not buy one then?!!!!
    Probably, but as a long term investment it might make sense?... trouble is for that kind of cash I want to wear it from time to time and love looking at it, which I do until it's on my wrist!.. Maybe I should buy it now and diet until my wrist slims down!!

May be your just not a Rolex Guy that simple.
    I went through the same phase with IWC, tried an AMG Inge = too big in diameter & thickness, fixed lugs on my wrist it looked like I'd borrowed my dad's good watch. Bought a mid-sized Inge instead, loved the bracelet adjustment method, very neat, loved the rose gold markers with white face combo. But that was the problem, liked parts of it, but not the whole. PX-ed it in a week for a Ti PAM 40mm Luminor Marina. Which I loved until I had to sell it

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it... If we all loved Rolex then would life be boring (IMHO)....

Keep looking and keep trying and if your anything like me then your tastes will change and one day, you will try one on and love it. I tried a Rado on recently that looked ok in the cabinet and was 1/2 price (which was the reason I bothered to try it on.) Since then it's hardly been off my wrist and is by far my favorite watch... You just never know and that's half the fun of this hobby, no?

A

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Wouldn't worry about it if i were you.....my overwhelming feeling about Rolex is "M'eh"....never been that fussed about them.
    If you don't like them then move on and ignore them.Don't feel that just because you are into watches that means you must therefore be a Rolex fan.

Same here, I really wanted to like the 42mm Explorer II until I actually tried one, you have to admit though that the Rolex bracelets have improved in the last few years. I have mid-90s Submariner date and the bracelet feels like it;s made of tin, quality of the clasp back then was simply unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Wouldn't worry about it if i were you.....my overwhelming feeling about Rolex is "M'eh"....never been that fussed about them.
    If you don't like them then move on and ignore them.Don't feel that just because you are into watches that means you must therefore be a Rolex fan.
    And that's coming from someone who is about 7'6" and wears sub-40mm watches.

I had a GMT2c but grew bored of it in the end. I have a 1968 Tudor Sub which looks lost on the bracelet but fantastic on a NATO or beaten up old nylon strap. I was underwhelmed by the 42mm Explorer 2 in photos, I didn't like the size of the hour and minute hands but when I tried one it clicked, as it were, and I bought one last weekend. I have a 7 1/2" wrist and it works just fine but would have thought it would be perfect for an 8" wrist. A couple of things - the hands on the black and the white Exp2 are different, with the ones in the black watch looking slightly odd, and why not ask an AD if they would pop off the bracelet and let you try it on a strap or NATO? It might be that the head is good but not on the bracelet.
    "A man of little significance"

Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

I don't think owning a Steinhart helps either. You're getting the sub look and tremendous quality at a silly cheap price. It's larger at 42mm too.

I keep thinking about a sub because, for me, the Steinhart's just a little too large. In fact my current favourite watch is my Tag Heuer Monza at 38mm.

I share the exact same sentiments regarding Rolex.

I borrowed 'er indoors' 40mm Explorer II for a couple of days whilst my Speedsonic was being serviced at STS, and I just couldn't get on with it at all. I thought it was too small and a bit underwhelming TBH. At that point I wondered if I was more of a vintage Omega man.

I did try a LV Milgauss on at the local AD a few months later and was impressed by that, however. Perhaps you need to find the right one for you?

Master
    Can't be a WIS if you don't get Rolex, anyone says differant is just jealous and can't afford one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nobody has to 'get' anything least of all an item of male jewellery that no-one actually needs either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Sorry guys as I'm sure this has been done to death, I'm not looking for salvation or even a shoulder to cry on but I can't get my head round it!.

I decided when the sub LV came out I had to have one having never owned a Rolex, when I finally got my hands on one I was seriously underwhelmed, I know many will say I'm a fool but to my mind the bracelet was no better than that on my Steinhart and certainly no better than my SMP or PO bracelet, I wanted to love it but with it being 40mm and a very dark bezel it just looked small on my 8 inch wrist, I'm sure in some way this is due to my SMP being my smallest watch and most others being 44mm or larger?. I fully appreciate that this big watch thing is probably just a fad but honestly when you are 21 stone and have big arms 40mm does look a bit small.
    Imagine my delight when the new range came out, I fell in love with the white dialled explorer 2 and knew I had found "my rolex" .. until I tried one on yesterday!!!. Just not bowled over by it and yet all the press photos and images from owners here had be practically salivating at the prospect of getting one, but alas I find myself back where I started, I don't consider myself a luddite and have a fair few watches costing thousands, I can afford the watch so that's not an issue (although I do think the RRP is crazy these days on them), I've even been offered a very generous interest free option if I prefer, but on the wrist and to my eye I can't justify 5.6k on something that does not blow me away as it is stupid money for a watch if we are honest with ourselves.
    I tried on the black dial version too as I was not loving the very glossy black edges to the hands and markers, yet in the photos it was these details that drew me to the white face (plus the fact I don't have a white dial in my collection) in the first place!. Same deal with the black dial, I even checked myself in their shop mirror and it looked fine in the reflection and not at all small!.
    So am I mental, tight, not appreciating of the brand and it's quality or just so used to seeing a big watch on my wrist that I have lost my sense of perspective?, whatever it is I can't but my finger on it but maybe I'm just not a rolex kinda guy?!!
    Obvious question but have you tired a DSSD. Sounds like that may work based on your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Can't be a WIS if you don't get Rolex, anyone says differant is just jealous and can't afford one.
    Presumably the smiley is so obvious you missed it off, but if you're serious... Well...

Happy NOT to be a WIS in that case

M.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Obvious question but have you tired a DSSD. Sounds like that may work based on your requirements.
    Surprised no one had asked this until now. It sounds like you need a bigger watch. The DSSD is too big for me personally, but I recall when seeing it for the first time that I thought its appeal would primarily be to people larger than me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Surprised no one had asked this until now. It sounds like you need a bigger watch. The DSSD is too big for me personally, but I recall when seeing it for the first time that I thought its appeal would primarily be to people larger than me.
    Yes I have tried one and yes it looks better to my eye, however IMHO it feels a little "top heavy" and I don't have 8k to spend either!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Nobody has to 'get' anything least of all an item of male jewellery that no-one actually needs either.
    I doubt I could justify needing any of my watches in all honesty, and I'm realising that I don't need or want a rolex now. Thanks for all the replies, especially those that don't think I'm mental!. I realise a lot of you guys love them but as another member said in the thread it would be a boring world if we were all the same!

Craftsman
    Yes I have tried one and yes it looks better to my eye, however IMHO it feels a little "top heavy" and I don't have 8k to spend either!
    You can pick up a minty one pre-owned for similar money to a EXP2. I think if you get it sized correctly you will be fine maybe ask an AD to size it for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    It is simple Rolex isn't for you.

I admit it a long time ago and who said WIS needs to own certain watches and brands. Best not too care too much about investment value or it will take the fun part out of hobby. I've lost £40k over 10 years but Ive worn every of them.
    Agreed, my daughter is 3 years old and I was thinking I might treat it as a long term investment but as you say where is the fun in that!

It seems you are not alone and I have to confess that it was seeing the old Explorer IIs in shop windows that made me really want one, but when I got one it just lacked impact on my wrist. I have also tried the old Sub 16610 and felt the same - I absolutely love looking at them but they do not seem to suite me when on. No doubt Rolex is a bankable name, but you have to love them to really get your money's worth. In the end - after trying loads of brands I found that Panerai have the wow factor I was looking for along with a 45.5mm Planet Ocean. Still, branding aside, a Steinhart really can't be beaten. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    It seems you are not alone and I have to confess that it was seeing the old Explorer IIs in shop windows that made me really want one, but when I got one it just lacked impact on my wrist. I have also tried the old Sub 16610 and felt the same - I absolutely love looking at them but they do not seem to suite me when on. No doubt Rolex is a bankable name, but you have to love them to really get your money's worth. In the end - after trying loads of brands I found that Panerai have the wow factor I was looking for along with a 45.5mm Planet Ocean. Still, branding aside, a Steinhart really can't be beaten. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Nice to hear from someone in the same boat, I'm lucky enough to own all the watches you mention above so think I'm going to forget the rolex thing and just keep the money for my daughters education.

Nice to hear from someone in the same boat, I'm lucky enough to own all the watches you mention above so think I'm going to forget the rolex thing and just keep the money for my daughters education.
    At least you'll have your daughter agreeing with your decision, and in the end she counts more than any of us.

Nothing to get, you either like something or you don't. Just because it's a prestigious brand doesn't mean you have to like it.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Almost certainly the wiser move.

However, as an ex-rower with similar-sized wrists to yours, who's just a bit over 2m, I've really come around to the traditional case diameters after starting off some oversized watches that "wow"-ed me initially. My first decent watch was a Sinn 356, which I found disappointing and hardly wore for the first few years I had it, but it eventually became the only Sinn I still wear. I had a U1 and still have an 856 but my tastes changed and I came to prefer the smallest watch among them.

Absolutely no regrets on Rolex, though! The pre-ceramic GMTs at 39.5 mm and the 38.6 mm Daytona are by far my most-frequently-worn watches these days, and I find that there's quite a lot to appreciate about the company's products. I find watches can be a bit like music albums; the ones that really get your attention at first can become stale quickly, while others might appeal to you more over time as you come to appreciate their subtler charms. I find that the more conservative styling of most Rolex models is one of their best assets, and is what makes them so likely to be among those watches that will still be satisfying to wear a few years or more than a few decades down the road. Their exemplary reliability and manufacturing quality doesn't hurt in that regard, either.

Best of luck with the decision; I just thought it was worth mentioning that normal-sized watches can take a bit of time to win you over, but you may never go back if you give them a proper chance.

If it doesnt work for you, then move on, sure there will be something else out there that you like

Malc

Dont worry about it matey, its not worth losing sleep over.

With your build and wrist size there is only one thing for it, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Secondhand not much more than the Rolex you were looking at. At 45mm should be perfect and you will notice the difference in quality between the two instantly!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    With your build and wrist size there is only one thing for it, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Secondhand not much more than the Rolex you were looking at. At 45mm should be perfect and you will notice the difference in quality between the two instantly!
    Don't tempt me!!, I've yet to see one in the metal but they do look lovely, don't hold their value like rolex though from what I've seen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Almost certainly the wiser move.

However, as an ex-rower with similar-sized wrists to yours, who's just a bit over 2m, I've really come around to the traditional case diameters after starting off some oversized watches that "wow"-ed me initially. My first decent watch was a Sinn 356, which I found disappointing and hardly wore for the first few years I had it, but it eventually became the only Sinn I still wear. I had a U1 and still have an 856 but my tastes changed and I came to prefer the smallest watch among them.

Absolutely no regrets on Rolex, though! The pre-ceramic GMTs at 39.5 mm and the 38.6 mm Daytona are by far my most-frequently-worn watches these days, and I find that there's quite a lot to appreciate about the company's products. I find watches can be a bit like music albums; the ones that really get your attention at first can become stale quickly, while others might appeal to you more over time as you come to appreciate their subtler charms. I find that the more conservative styling of most Rolex models is one of their best assets, and is what makes them so likely to be among those watches that will still be satisfying to wear a few years or more than a few decades down the road. Their exemplary reliability and manufacturing quality doesn't hurt in that regard, either.

Best of luck with the decision; I just thought it was worth mentioning that normal-sized watches can take a bit of time to win you over, but you may never go back if you give them a proper chance.
    Some very interesting points there which I'm still taking on board. I'm amazed with your wrist size you have found yourself liking the smaller dials as for me personally I've always thought the daytona had too much going on for such a small dial, it would be a dull world if we were all the same though!. I fully see where you are coming from when you compare watches to music albums, I was listening to Billy Joel and Ella fitzgerald in the car yesterday as although I'm only 40 I think modern music, aside from Adele is c**p!.
    I think the crux of it is that I'm not a patient man and for 5k plus it simply must sing to me when it goes on my wrist, either that or I am infact a bit of a chav!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the problem may be that the explorer II is quite thin so although larger at 42mm, still wears quite small.
    I assume your not taken with the DSSD? Or perhaps try an original SD as they are a bit thicker.

Stick with Omega Kev!the PO 45 ceramic was made for you,

Dave

Master
    Rolex is not for everybody and that is why there are so many brands out there. I can take it or leave it! A watch is a watch and it is the relationship with it that matters.

I've never been able to find a Rolex that I like. Give me an Omega any day.

Master
    I always wanted a sub, bought a sea dweller from 1992, didn't gel so let it go, bug but again so bought a 1966 meters first 5513, again didn't gel so let it go..... Two years past and Keitht bought a 1977 bought oysterquartz....... Hooked! Bought one eighteen months ago, first 250 ever made, completely original with box and tag and I absolutly love it! Probably because everyone thinks its a fake Rolex because it ticks!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've had a steinhart and your sub bracelet was far superior. Although admittedly not in proportion with the price differential.

I really love them.

Well thanks a lot everyone, you've got me looking at Steinharts now!

Master
    Lots of people tell me that because I'm a petrol head I should buy a porsche... Apparantly I cant be a proper petrol head if I don't...Funny thing is I can't stand them...

There are those that say, you're not a WIS, if you don't own a Rolex...Bottom line is, buy what YOU like.... Not what you think you should buy, because of what other people think..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Lots of people tell me that because I'm a petrol head I should buy a porsche... Apparantly I cant be a proper petrol head if I don't...Funny thing is I can't stand them...

There are those that say, you're not a WIS, if you don't own a Rolex...Bottom line is, buy what YOU like.... Not what you think you should buy, because of what other people think..
    I disagree. If there is a significant proportion of wis community into one brand or another then there is something going on. You just don't get it. A true wis would buy just to see what the fuss is about then flip if it doesn't work for them.

Which is why I now have 4 seiko divers! I'm starting to get it though. No smoke without fire.

You should definitely buy a Porsche. The is definitely something worth experiencing there. You just don't get it.

:-)

Fifty Fathoms, try one.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Fifty Fathoms, try one.
    Stop that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post

You should definitely buy a Porsche. The is definitely something worth experiencing there. You just don't get it.

:-)
    I will never buy a Porsche....

Master
    Trust me, you just haven't found the right one yet.........

....... Keep looking!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    You can pick up a minty one pre-owned for similar money to a EXP2. I think if you get it sized correctly you will be fine maybe ask an AD to size it for you.
    Sounds like a plan, I may well try looking at one this weekend but won't be buying new as the RRP is beyond me.
    Last edited by Kevin Glover; 15th February 2013 at 00:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    I've never been able to find a Rolex that I like. Give me an Omega any day.
    I think you may have something there, I would say at least 75 percent of watches I've owned have been omegas, maybe their styling just does it for me, having said that I thought the new AT looked fantastic at launch but prefer the older dial with blue hands and markers on the wrist!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    I've had a steinhart and your sub bracelet was far superior. Although admittedly not in proportion with the price differential.

I really love them.
    Agreed, but that is my point, the price differential does not correlate with the quality differential in my eyes. I'm a working class guy and the money for such luxuries is hard earnt so I guess I just don't feel I'm getting enough bang for what is a considerable buck. I still can't believe my PO cost me 1.3k (with 33%discount) 4or5 years ago and now it could be 6k for a sub or exp2 by the end of the month, mental, just mental!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Well thanks a lot everyone, you've got me looking at Steinharts now!
    Do it mate, I firmly believe they are potentially the biggest bargain to be had in watch world at present.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    I always wanted a sub, bought a sea dweller from 1992, didn't gel so let it go, bug but again so bought a 1966 meters first 5513, again didn't gel so let it go..... Two years past and Keitht bought a 1977 bought oysterquartz....... Hooked! Bought one eighteen months ago, first 250 ever made, completely original with box and tag and I absolutly love it! Probably because everyone thinks its a fake Rolex because it ticks!!
    Don't get me wrong Tom.. It didn't look anything like as silly as the De Ville did on me mate!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    Stick with Omega Kev!the PO 45 ceramic was made for you,

Dave
    Cheers Dave, having met me you know what I mean!.... I know they are two a penny but I just love the prescence and heft of my 45mm PO, had it 4 years now and still love it as much as ever, that is really saying something for me!

Do it mate, I firmly believe they are potentially the biggest bargain to be had in watch world at present.
    Indeed, I'm very drawn to the diver series at the moment, it's either one of those or a Seiko diver.