closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

Sorry guys as I'm sure this has been done to death, I'm not looking for salvation or even a shoulder to cry on but I can't get my head round it!.

I decided when the sub LV came out I had to have one having never owned a Rolex, when I finally got my hands on one I was seriously underwhelmed, I know many will say I'm a fool but to my mind the bracelet was no better than that on my Steinhart and certainly no better than my SMP or PO bracelet, I wanted to love it but with it being 40mm and a very dark bezel it just looked small on my 8 inch wrist, I'm sure in some way this is due to my SMP being my smallest watch and most others being 44mm or larger?. I fully appreciate that this big watch thing is probably just a fad but honestly when you are 21 stone and have big arms 40mm does look a bit small.
    Imagine my delight when the new range came out, I fell in love with the white dialled explorer 2 and knew I had found "my rolex" .. until I tried one on yesterday!!!. Just not bowled over by it and yet all the press photos and images from owners here had be practically salivating at the prospect of getting one, but alas I find myself back where I started, I don't consider myself a luddite and have a fair few watches costing thousands, I can afford the watch so that's not an issue (although I do think the RRP is crazy these days on them), I've even been offered a very generous interest free option if I prefer, but on the wrist and to my eye I can't justify 5.6k on something that does not blow me away as it is stupid money for a watch if we are honest with ourselves.
    I tried on the black dial version too as I was not loving the very glossy black edges to the hands and markers, yet in the photos it was these details that drew me to the white face (plus the fact I don't have a white dial in my collection) in the first place!. Same deal with the black dial, I even checked myself in their shop mirror and it looked fine in the reflection and not at all small!.
    So am I mental, tight, not appreciating of the brand and it's quality or just so used to seeing a big watch on my wrist that I have lost my sense of perspective?, whatever it is I can't but my finger on it but maybe I'm just not a rolex kinda guy?!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Best not buy one then?!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Best not buy one then?!!!!
    Probably, but as a long term investment it might make sense?... trouble is for that kind of cash I want to wear it from time to time and love looking at it, which I do until it's on my wrist!.. Maybe I should buy it now and diet until my wrist slims down!!

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it... If we all loved Rolex then would life be boring (IMHO)....

Keep looking and keep trying and if your anything like me then your tastes will change and one day, you will try one on and love it. I tried a Rado on recently that looked ok in the cabinet and was 1/2 price (which was the reason I bothered to try it on.) Since then it's hardly been off my wrist and is by far my favorite watch... You just never know and that's half the fun of this hobby, no?

A

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Wouldn't worry about it if i were you.....my overwhelming feeling about Rolex is "M'eh"....never been that fussed about them.
    If you don't like them then move on and ignore them.Don't feel that just because you are into watches that means you must therefore be a Rolex fan.

Same here, I really wanted to like the 42mm Explorer II until I actually tried one, you have to admit though that the Rolex bracelets have improved in the last few years. I have mid-90s Submariner date and the bracelet feels like it;s made of tin, quality of the clasp back then was simply unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Wouldn't worry about it if i were you.....my overwhelming feeling about Rolex is "M'eh"....never been that fussed about them.
    If you don't like them then move on and ignore them.Don't feel that just because you are into watches that means you must therefore be a Rolex fan.
    And that's coming from someone who is about 7'6" and wears sub-40mm watches.

I had a GMT2c but grew bored of it in the end. I have a 1968 Tudor Sub which looks lost on the bracelet but fantastic on a NATO or beaten up old nylon strap. I was underwhelmed by the 42mm Explorer 2 in photos, I didn't like the size of the hour and minute hands but when I tried one it clicked, as it were, and I bought one last weekend. I have a 7 1/2" wrist and it works just fine but would have thought it would be perfect for an 8" wrist. A couple of things - the hands on the black and the white Exp2 are different, with the ones in the black watch looking slightly odd, and why not ask an AD if they would pop off the bracelet and let you try it on a strap or NATO? It might be that the head is good but not on the bracelet.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Can't be a WIS if you don't get Rolex, anyone says differant is just jealous and can't afford one.

It seems you are not alone and I have to confess that it was seeing the old Explorer IIs in shop windows that made me really want one, but when I got one it just lacked impact on my wrist. I have also tried the old Sub 16610 and felt the same - I absolutely love looking at them but they do not seem to suite me when on. No doubt Rolex is a bankable name, but you have to love them to really get your money's worth. In the end - after trying loads of brands I found that Panerai have the wow factor I was looking for along with a 45.5mm Planet Ocean. Still, branding aside, a Steinhart really can't be beaten. Good luck with whatever you decide.

May be your just not a Rolex Guy that simple.
    I went through the same phase with IWC, tried an AMG Inge = too big in diameter & thickness, fixed lugs on my wrist it looked like I'd borrowed my dad's good watch. Bought a mid-sized Inge instead, loved the bracelet adjustment method, very neat, loved the rose gold markers with white face combo. But that was the problem, liked parts of it, but not the whole. PX-ed it in a week for a Ti PAM 40mm Luminor Marina. Which I loved until I had to sell it

Rolex- I should get it but I just don't!

I don't think owning a Steinhart helps either. You're getting the sub look and tremendous quality at a silly cheap price. It's larger at 42mm too.

I keep thinking about a sub because, for me, the Steinhart's just a little too large. In fact my current favourite watch is my Tag Heuer Monza at 38mm.

I share the exact same sentiments regarding Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Sorry guys as I'm sure this has been done to death, I'm not looking for salvation or even a shoulder to cry on but I can't get my head round it!.

I decided when the sub LV came out I had to have one having never owned a Rolex, when I finally got my hands on one I was seriously underwhelmed, I know many will say I'm a fool but to my mind the bracelet was no better than that on my Steinhart and certainly no better than my SMP or PO bracelet, I wanted to love it but with it being 40mm and a very dark bezel it just looked small on my 8 inch wrist, I'm sure in some way this is due to my SMP being my smallest watch and most others being 44mm or larger?. I fully appreciate that this big watch thing is probably just a fad but honestly when you are 21 stone and have big arms 40mm does look a bit small.
    Imagine my delight when the new range came out, I fell in love with the white dialled explorer 2 and knew I had found "my rolex" .. until I tried one on yesterday!!!. Just not bowled over by it and yet all the press photos and images from owners here had be practically salivating at the prospect of getting one, but alas I find myself back where I started, I don't consider myself a luddite and have a fair few watches costing thousands, I can afford the watch so that's not an issue (although I do think the RRP is crazy these days on them), I've even been offered a very generous interest free option if I prefer, but on the wrist and to my eye I can't justify 5.6k on something that does not blow me away as it is stupid money for a watch if we are honest with ourselves.
    I tried on the black dial version too as I was not loving the very glossy black edges to the hands and markers, yet in the photos it was these details that drew me to the white face (plus the fact I don't have a white dial in my collection) in the first place!. Same deal with the black dial, I even checked myself in their shop mirror and it looked fine in the reflection and not at all small!.
    So am I mental, tight, not appreciating of the brand and it's quality or just so used to seeing a big watch on my wrist that I have lost my sense of perspective?, whatever it is I can't but my finger on it but maybe I'm just not a rolex kinda guy?!!
    Obvious question but have you tired a DSSD. Sounds like that may work based on your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Obvious question but have you tired a DSSD. Sounds like that may work based on your requirements.
    Surprised no one had asked this until now. It sounds like you need a bigger watch. The DSSD is too big for me personally, but I recall when seeing it for the first time that I thought its appeal would primarily be to people larger than me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Surprised no one had asked this until now. It sounds like you need a bigger watch. The DSSD is too big for me personally, but I recall when seeing it for the first time that I thought its appeal would primarily be to people larger than me.
    Yes I have tried one and yes it looks better to my eye, however IMHO it feels a little "top heavy" and I don't have 8k to spend either!

Craftsman
    Yes I have tried one and yes it looks better to my eye, however IMHO it feels a little "top heavy" and I don't have 8k to spend either!
    You can pick up a minty one pre-owned for similar money to a EXP2. I think if you get it sized correctly you will be fine maybe ask an AD to size it for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    You can pick up a minty one pre-owned for similar money to a EXP2. I think if you get it sized correctly you will be fine maybe ask an AD to size it for you.
    Sounds like a plan, I may well try looking at one this weekend but won't be buying new as the RRP is beyond me.
    Last edited by Kevin Glover; 15th February 2013 at 00:31.

Master
    Personal opinion but here goes - the thing that made me 'get' Rolex was the iconic vintage models, and new ones will always be a riff on the vintage templates, to be judged in relation to them. Those older models were smaller and designed to be that way, in an age of smaller watches and probably smaller people too. The recent attempts to make them bigger haven't really worked for me, and some of them now just look like slightly bloated versions of previously classic and skinny icons, like Vegas Elvis or fat Jim Morrison - just not quite right! If you're a sturdy gentleman and a large watch is in proportion for you, a brand that looked best when it was 40 years younger and 36mm may just not be for you. Then again, you'd probably look great in a giant IWC which would look comical on me. There's no need to like them, but they work damn well on my spaghetti wrists!

Well thanks a lot everyone, you've got me looking at Steinharts now!

Master
    Lots of people tell me that because I'm a petrol head I should buy a porsche... Apparantly I cant be a proper petrol head if I don't...Funny thing is I can't stand them...

There are those that say, you're not a WIS, if you don't own a Rolex...Bottom line is, buy what YOU like.... Not what you think you should buy, because of what other people think..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Lots of people tell me that because I'm a petrol head I should buy a porsche... Apparantly I cant be a proper petrol head if I don't...Funny thing is I can't stand them...

There are those that say, you're not a WIS, if you don't own a Rolex...Bottom line is, buy what YOU like.... Not what you think you should buy, because of what other people think..
    I disagree. If there is a significant proportion of wis community into one brand or another then there is something going on. You just don't get it. A true wis would buy just to see what the fuss is about then flip if it doesn't work for them.

Which is why I now have 4 seiko divers! I'm starting to get it though. No smoke without fire.

You should definitely buy a Porsche. The is definitely something worth experiencing there. You just don't get it.

:-)

Fifty Fathoms, try one.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Fifty Fathoms, try one.
    Stop that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post

You should definitely buy a Porsche. The is definitely something worth experiencing there. You just don't get it.

:-)
    I will never buy a Porsche....

Master
    Trust me, you just haven't found the right one yet.........

....... Keep looking!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I will never buy a Porsche....
    Then perhaps you aren't really a true petrol head? I think my point of view on this whole thing must be a bit scewif to most of you guys.

Il try and explain. I think that my not liking the cyclops was because I want used to it. I got used to it and it allowed me to appreciate the watch.

I initially, when listening to Schoenberg's Gurreleder winced. But I got use to it and learned to appreciate it. Its not my favourite, but I have an idea what its all about.

What I'm trying to say, is that for whatever reasons, Rolex have created something that is worth experiencing, through ownership simply for the value of that experience. If you like it, great, if you don't, you will hopefully have something to add to a discussion like this that's not as superficial as "O do t like the cyclops" "the bracelet is tinny" or "I don't like the brand".

I'd never buy a new one. I hasten to add!

The other point that struck a chord with me earlier In the thread was the comment about an investment being a moot point. The investment is till present as long as the value is still present in whatever asset is owned. Money doesn't have to be in a bank earning .5% interest to qualify as an investment or asset.
    Last edited by jrpippen; 15th February 2013 at 23:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Well thanks a lot everyone, you've got me looking at Steinharts now!
    Do it mate, I firmly believe they are potentially the biggest bargain to be had in watch world at present.

Do it mate, I firmly believe they are potentially the biggest bargain to be had in watch world at present.
    Indeed, I'm very drawn to the diver series at the moment, it's either one of those or a Seiko diver.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Indeed, I'm very drawn to the diver series at the moment, it's either one of those or a Seiko diver.
    I live in Cheshire not far from Sandbach, PM me if you are ever in the area over a weekend and you are welcome to try out my ocean 2 GMT, simply amazing for the money.

I live in Cheshire not far from Sandbach, PM me if you are ever in the area over a weekend and you are welcome to try out my ocean 2 GMT, simply amazing for the money.
    Thanks very much! I'll PM you if I get further than Manchester over a weekend.

Master
    re Steinhart sub hommage ;
    check out the Davosa Ternos Ceramic - just picked one of these up from fellow TZ'er and I have been v impressed, great bezel, lume & cyclops... Only snag is its got me thinking of the real thing - but the price difference / diminishing returns puts the real deal definitely in Veblen territory !

It's all about brand, if you don't see the brand, and buy into that, you ain't going to see a few bits of stainless steel worth 5k. A steinhart bracelet and a Rolex one only really differ by brand, how much better can one bracelet be over another...not 5k worth that's for sure.

Grand Master
    Not sure what there is to get? Either you like them or you dont! Rolex is the aspirational brand for the majority, the majority of watch searches on the internet focus on just 10 main brands and Rolexs dominates with a 21% share of that, the second most popular search doesnt make double digits! Now this doesnt mean anything but does demonstrate that in the watch world one brand is more sought by quite a margin.

Could be clever marketing or just that they have got it so right in fit, form, & function but the beauty of a watch is what YOU see in it not the masses
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Not sure what there is to get? Either you like them or you dont!

This.

It would be very sad to buy a Rolex just because of the name and without actually liking the looks of it.
    To me looks are nr. 1, in random order followed by quality, price, re-sale value, history.

Some Rolex' i think are awesome, some i would never like to have, all based on looks and this is actually applicable to all brands.

I know what you mean, a few months back I set on getting a sea dweller but when I tried one on at a dealer the bracelet felt really cheap and I could not believe it was a real Rolex. Each to his own as others have said

I have never been drawn to Rolex, but ever since i picked up an old Tudor oysterdate, it has become my favourite watch. I am always tempted to try a Rolex air-king or something simliar, but i am more than happy with my Rolex little brother. I'm not sure how i will bond with a Rolex, i think it is the name that puts me off. Tudor oysterdates rock...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Not sure what there is to get? Either you like them or you dont! Rolex is the aspirational brand for the majority, the majority of watch searches on the internet focus on just 10 main brands and Rolexs dominates with a 21% share of that, the second most popular search doesnt make double digits! Now this doesnt mean anything but does demonstrate that in the watch world one brand is more sought by quite a margin.

Could be clever marketing or just that they have got it so right in fit, form, & function but the beauty of a watch is what YOU see in it not the masses
    Maybe that's it, I don't "aspire" to rolex but merely felt I "should" get one as I thought I was missing something BUT my gut tells me I'm really not missing anything. The watches I aspire to these days are well beyond my financial reach and are more like watch porn in reality!

I love Rolex, and really can't abide modern Omegas. We all have different tastes, it's no biggie.