closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Pistorius shoots his girlfriend dead !!

Grand Master
    imo they had an argument he shot her as she tried to leave.

South Africa - the only place I visited where the usual "oo, don't go there, don't do this at night blah blah" 'advice' from travel forums etc. is justified. The only place where walking down the street at night, you do feel a clear and potential danger of being attacked or mugged.

Tragic under whatever circumstances. We (in general, in the UK) cant imagine a place where we live, that is so dangerous, we need a firearm next to our beds.

I read that police reports state he shot her 4 times through a closed bathroom door. My guess...big argument, she locked herself in bathroom and he fired off at the door in a moment of red mist. I think the innocent accident is looking less likely now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Frankie Boyle - nothing a bullet would not put right.
    Would be a public service.
    I did see the humorous side,albeit in bad taste.

Master
    That is not funny, if you made that comment in my presence you would get a very hard punch in the mouth.
    That was also a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by magog
    Roses are red,
    Violets are glorious,
    Don’t try to surprise
    Oscar Pistorious.

He's goin to be learning a lot more about 'blades' and 'surprises' where hes going......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    He's goin to be learning a lot more about 'blades' and 'surprises' where hes going......
    Not wrong there!

A thread about physical violence and somebody threatens physical violence. Classic!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    A thread about physical violence and somebody threatens physical violence. Classic!!
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    You misread the post.( a classic mistake!) I did not threaten or make any threats. Its where he is going he may experience this.

If he did in fact shoot her through the bathroom door, the defence that he thought she was an intruder is going to be a lot less plausible.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    That is not funny, if you made that comment in my presence you would get a very hard punch in the mouth.
    Charming.

Why - perhaps an innocent pun?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    You misread the post.( a classic mistake!) I did not threaten or make any threats. Its where he is going he may experience this.
    I think he's referring to the Honey Monster, not you. The man who is tolerant but will punch you hard in the mouth when offended.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I think he's referring to the Honey Monster, not you. The man who is tolerant but will punch you hard in the mouth when offended.
    Indeed, it's easy to be a tough guy on an internet watch forum!

Ah, I see, my mistake, then I apologise. I tend to skip over some peoples posts, so probably missed that bit ... I'd use an appropriate smily if they worked....

Banned

Your on a roll, keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    If he did in fact shoot her through the bathroom door, the defence that he thought she was an intruder is going to be a lot less plausible.
    Exactly, I don't think its likely that an armed intruder would hide in the bathroom where they would be trapped with little chance of escape, but wheres the first place a woman runs to whenever there is an argument?

I also have trouble believing the story that he ran down the stairs with her body in his arms. Is that even possible for a guy with no legs?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post

I also have trouble believing the story that he ran down the stairs with her body in his arms. Is that even possible for a guy with no legs?
    How do you think does he compete in sprinting competitions? That guy grew up on prostheses.

Regards,
    Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    You can still own and shoot small pistols at a club - you just cant possess them in the legal sense.

I agree totally that the wide-spread possession of firearms is a bad thing, but the "ban" on large handguns in this country only stopped the sane and law-abiding from owning them...
    No civilians in the UK can own a handgun of any calibre no matter where it is kept. You can have air pistols of black powder pistols but that's it.

Wasn't aimed at you!

Ah, I see, my mistake, then I apologise. I tend to skip over some peoples posts, so probably missed that bit ... I'd use an appropriate smily if they worked....
    Skipping over posts is a bit of a classic mistake!

Only joshing with you. I thought your post was actually quite funny.

Re: Oscar Pistorius shoots his girlfriend dead !!

Quote Originally Posted by K80 View Post
    No civilians in the UK can own a handgun of any calibre no matter where it is kept. You can have air pistols of black powder pistols but that's it.
    Long barreled .22 cal pistols - like those recently seen in the Olympic target shooting - are regulated as section 1 firearms hence perfectly legal to own.

Many of the regulations surrounding their storage and use are commonly misinterpreted by local authorities though, so they can be difficult to obtain certificates for depending in where you live.

Craftsman
    Long barreled .22 cal pistols - like those recently seen in the Olympic target shooting - are regulated as section 1 firearms hence perfectly legal to own.

Many of the regulations surrounding their storage and use are commonly misinterpreted by local authorities though, so they can be difficult to obtain certificates for depending in where you live.
    The pistols used in the Olympics also came under the ban, many of our guys just gave up, some kept them at clubs in Belgium and travelled there to practice. The Olympic committee had an arrangement to let them ( and the visiting shooters) use them here for 8 weeks.
    Last edited by K80; 17th February 2013 at 00:18.

Craftsman

The link you provided to HESA shows that they do not pistol shoot, just gallery rifle which is a pistol with a huge barrel (18" plus ).

Comes under the gallery rifle category and is not limited to .22
    These hardly count as pistols as they are very long ( so they can't be concealed ).
    60 cm minimum, with a 30 cm barrel. Autos are limited to .22 only, I think you are right about revolvers being allowed in any calibre - not sure about that as that isn't what I am involved in.

Craftsman
    60 cm minimum, with a 30 cm barrel. Autos are limited to .22 only, I think you are right about revolvers being allowed in any calibre - not sure about that as that isn't what I am involved in.
    All long barrelled pistols ( auto or revolver) are under the gallery rifle category. Standard length handguns of any type or calibre are still banned . What shooting do you do ?

All long barrelled pistols ( auto or revolver) are under the gallery rifle category. Standard length handguns of any type or calibre are still banned . What shooting do you do ?
    Clays sometimes, but my involvement in target pistol shooting is pretty much limited to driving my partners "kids" to and from and making appreciative noises. I do have a go sometimes to show then how it is supposed to be done ;)

Craftsman
    Looks indeed more and more like he killed her after an argument. Don't want to judge too early but being born without calf bones doesn't seem to be his only birth defect (since psychopathy is a verifiably genetic issue)...

Quote Originally Posted by Anaxarch View Post
    Looks indeed more and more like he killed her after an argument. Don't want to judge too early but being born without calf bones doesn't seem to be his only birth defect (since psychopathy is a verifiably genetic issue)...
    Where are you getting your information from? Are you medically qualified? If you are, then you need to go back to the Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry, as you'll find that 'psychopathy' is most certainly NOT a 'verifiably genetic issue'. Some evidence exists for a genetic component to cluster B personality types (so yes, dissocial/antisocial) but I think you've gone too far here with your internet musings.

Banned
    Hand guns are banned, obviously. A rifle is defined iin law as having a barrel of 30m min OR a total length of 60cm min. Hence we have stupidly long barrelled 'pistols'.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Hand guns are banned, obviously. A rifle is defined iin law as having a barrel of 30m min OR a total length of 60cm min. Hence we have stupidly long barrelled 'pistols'.
    30m barrel would indeed be quite unwieldy...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaxarch View Post
    That is a nasty comment, being an obnoxious person like yourself, is that also a verifiably genetic issue ?
    For a lad who had his legs amputated below the knees when he was a baby he has made a remarkable success of his life up until now and inspired thousands of diabled people and children all around the world.
    We need to wait for the police to investigate and see what the evidence suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    That is a nasty comment, being an obnoxious person like yourself, is that also a verifiably genetic issue ?
    For a lad who had his legs amputated below the knees when he was a baby he has made a remarkable success of his life up until now and inspired thousands of diabled people and children all around the world.
    We need to wait for the police to investigate and see what the evidence suggests.
    At last somebodies talking some sense! As an amputee myself I have found some of the comments on this thread crass and onoxious. I know ignorance is bliss for some but please try to have a little decorum in what you are stating.
    The facts will soon be disclosed and this whole sorry affair will be spelt out in the public forum. Second guessing how a person lives wearing artificial aids is only for those that understand, obviously some of you don't. At 4am I doubt Oscar was even wearing his legs, he is more than likely using a wheel chair or balancing on his stumps. I use crutches at night and Oscar may well have been doing the same. Its not a defence but would have made him feel more vulnerable. It just a very very sad story.

He may be about to lose more than his freedom, looks like he maybe about to lose his medals too, after police found steroids at his house...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Steenkamp.html

Master
    I'm struggling to think of a case where so much has been leaked by the police so quickly. I know there's no jury in SA but it doesn't seem a particularly professional way to go about things.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    I'm struggling to think of a case where so much has been leaked by the police so quickly. I know there's no jury in SA but it doesn't seem a particularly professional way to go about things.
    Er, what? What the hell do they do then - toss a coin??

A quick Google shows that trial by jury was abolished in South Africa in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    A quick Google shows that trial by jury was abolished in South Africa in 1969.
    Which doesn't answer the question!

Banned
    The same thing we do in virtually all civil cases and indeed some criminal cases, which is the same thing done across much of Europe as well - trial by judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    The same thing we do in virtually all civil cases and indeed some criminal cases, which is the same thing done across much of Europe as well - trial by judge.
    Meh - don't like the sound of that at all...

Funny, Google seems to avoid the question of what took the place of the jury system in SA. I rather think it's down to the judge himself but it's not clear. Maybe I'm not Googling well enough.

Just answered my own question doh..

"South Africa has a mixed legal system. Its doctrines and concepts are influenced both by the civilian tradition (in an uncodified Romano-Dutch form brought by early Dutch settlers) and by the common law tradition (introduced during the British colonial period).
    Indigenous people may still choose to be subject to customary law, so long as it does not conflict with the Constitution."
    Last edited by VDG; 18th February 2013 at 20:38.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Well I don't really understand why someone who's achieved a lot (firstly for himself - to win - and not to inspire) and someone who's not mentally disabled should be met with leniency in case he/she really committed such a horrible crime they charge him with. If he really used that cricket bat on her and the gun, that surely would be psychopathic wouldn't it... That he was born with a birth defect is a fact and not an insult. Maybe I used a tad of too much sarcasm though.
    As you say - let's wait for the result of the investigations.

Banned
    Is it true though, can the Police be trusted ?
    Unless his finger prints or some other forensic evidence link him directly to what was found they prove nothing.
    How many different people have been in the house since the probable accident ?
    The windows at your house must glisten like a De Beers Christmas display...

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    South African law has no principle of sub judice, so newspapers are allowed to print what they like during a trial.

Saffies also abolished the jury system a while back as a fair trial based on evidence is kinda difficult if you have legally enshrined different classes of citizen. The cost of re-introducing it now would be prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Saffies also abolished the jury system a while back as a fair trial based on evidence is kinda difficult if you have legally enshrined different classes of citizen. The cost of re-introducing it now would be prohibitive.
    Cost and worth are not the same thing...

Is it true though, can the Police be trusted ?
    Unless his finger prints or some other forensic evidence link him directly to what was found they prove nothing.
    How many different people have been in the house since the probable accident ?
    I thought the article said they have ordered a blood test which I expect would be pretty conclusive especially if they have a sample of the steroids found in the house as will know exactly what to look for.

Your chain of custody concerns not withstanding it does seem a bit unlikely to me that the police would want to discredit a national hero, and even if they did that they so happened to have some steroids handy to plant ?