closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new Oris Divers Date

Craftsman

My new Oris Divers Date

I've had my eye on one of these for a while now and I managed to pick one up for a good price at Watches of Switzerland last month. I love the shape of the case and the mixture of brushed and polished finishes. It's built like a tank and I can't fault the quality of the workmanship. The 44mm size would usually be too big for my skinny wrists but the tapering of the case and the way the bracelet integrates into it make it wear a lot smaller. The wave effect on the dial is not exactly unique but it is attractive and the bullet shaped applied hour markers are distinctive and rather lovely.

It was running 17 seconds a day fast so it went back to Oris to be regulated. It came back yesterday so we'll see how it performs now. First impressions are that it's still fast but not quite as bad.

Last edited by andymac66; 10th February 2013 at 17:25.

Lovely mate! I have the 44mm Titanium small seconds (that I got from WoS in Edinburgh) at the start of January and I absolutely love it. Had been looking at the Divers Date and the Aquis as they were nearer the price range I had, but then got a tip off that the small seconds was going in WoS for a very good price indeed so went for that. As you say they do wear smaller considering the size as I have small wrists as well but it doesn't look out of place at all.

Mine ran fast for the first couple of weeks (nowhere near 17s mind you) but its currently running a couple of secs fast a day.

Anyway enjoy it, lovely watches imo!

Blog Entries

My new Oris Divers Date

Very nice & very underrated watches IMHO.

I de-blinged my TT1 with the OEM rubber - which further adds to the versatility, (although it is a bit of a pain to swap between bracelet & rubber)

Enjoy!

z
    Last edited by zelig; 10th February 2013 at 20:48.

Master
    Great watches and very underated. Yours looks classy but toolish at the same time. I went to a hotel at Watergate bay last autumn for some surfing and there were a lot of sports watches around but the one that caught my eye was an Oris divers. Regards.Kev
    Last edited by bubblehead; 10th February 2013 at 18:05.

Craftsman
    I had discounted these as I thought from the dimensions they would be too big for me, but tried one on last week and would seriously consider one now.

Looks great and just that little bit distinctive. Quite sorry I didn't get one last year with Tesco vouchers from Goldsmiths.

Craftsman
    That's a real beauty, looks fantastic.

Master
    The titanium version of this was my first "proper" watch. Excellent it was to. I also brought the Oris rubber strap for it, and it hardly ever went back onto the braclet.
    Enjoy yours.

Si.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andybhoy View Post
    Lovely mate! I have the 44mm Titanium small seconds (that I got from WoS in Edinburgh) at the start of January and I absolutely love it. Had been looking at the Divers Date and the Aquis as they were nearer the price range I had, but then got a tip off that the small seconds was going in WoS for a very good price indeed so went for that. As you say they do wear smaller considering the size as I have small wrists as well but it doesn't look out of place at all.

Mine ran fast for the first couple of weeks (nowhere near 17s mind you) but its currently running a couple of secs fast a day.

Anyway enjoy it, lovely watches imo!
    Thanks! I had a look at the Titanium Small Seconds in WoS, Edinburgh when I bought the Divers Date. I did consider it but the case is a bit thicker than the DD and my wrists couldn't really handle it. It was certainly a lot of watch for the money though. I prefer the more symmetrical face of the DD without the small seconds at 10 o'clock. I also like the way Oris usually places the date at six o'clock. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do that, it looks so much better..
    Last edited by andymac66; 10th February 2013 at 22:20.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Very nice indeed.
    As mentioned previous,i think Oris are a vastly underated brand..the dive watches in particular i find good,solid,well made lumps of metal. I have a small seconds that is one of my favourite watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Very nice & very underrated watches IMHO.

I de-blinged my TT1 with the OEM rubber - which further adds to the versatility, (although it is a bit of a pain to swap between bracelet & rubber)

Enjoy!

z
    Love the white faced variant

Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    Thanks! I had a look at the Titanium Small Seconds in WoS, Edinburgh when I bought my Divers Date. I did consider it but the case is a bit thicker than the DD and my wrists couldn't really handle it. It was certainly a lot of watch for the money though. I prefer the more symmetrical face of the DD without the small seconds at 10 o'clock. I also like the way Oris usually places the date at six o'clock. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do that, it looks so much better..
    It is a touch thicker but I don't find it too bad on my wrist at all. I agree about the date being at the 6 o'clock position it's a great position for it, and I know what you mean about the symmetrical aspect but I just fell in love with the small seconds. Mine isn't the one with the seconds face at 10 o'clock though, it's the one with the face at the 8 o'clock position.

Superb bits of kit though, would definitely have another in a heartbeat if I could afford it!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch. I had one and sold it. Still regret it.

Craftsman
    lovely watch....

enjoy it and forget about the running fast/slow issue....

Craftsman
    I have liked Oris for a long time, very nice watches.

Craftsman
    I have a blue Oris Aquis, super watch, very comfortable on the bracelet and always looks the part in either a suit or short sleeves.

Used to wear the Regulator for almost a year as a daily beater. I liked it very much. I like these watches much more than the newer models.

Craftsman
    I discovered Oris as a brand as a result of coming on here. I bought a blue 47mm Small Seconds in August last year and whilst its a big old chunk of a watch, it wears much smaller than others of similar size.

The build quality is substantial and has attracted some positive comments at work from the Rolex and Omega wearers.

I know it doesn't have the kudos of other brands, but i'm happy in the knowledge that I've got a quality timepiece for the money on my wrist.

Craftsman
    That's lovely.
    I too have a soft spot for Oris as it was the first decent watch I had as a lad (12yo in 1971!) A couple of years ago I emailed them when I had bought another and they sent me an Oris/Williams F1 sponsors polo shirt FOC and a book of Oris history. I was well chuffed, and will be getting another Oris as soon as I have some disposable.
    Last edited by billymac; 28th May 2013 at 22:33. Reason: typo

Banned
    I very nearly bought the same one, but found out there was a discontinued titanium version. I managed to get a used one on eBay, but also running fast so will go off for a service.

I de-blinged mine by brushing the polished links, much better I think.

A lot of watch for the money.
    Last edited by SlimJim16v; 24th February 2013 at 16:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oymd View Post
    lovely watch....

enjoy it and forget about the running fast/slow issue....
    Well, the good news is it's now gaining less than two seconds a day (as opposed to +17s before).

Interestingly, the fine regulation screw is exactly where it was before the watch was sent back to Oris - bang in the center between the + and - markers. I'm wondering if that means the watch must have been serviced / lubricated to achieve the better timekeeping? The watch was brand new so it shouldn't have needed a service but who knows how long it was lying in the shop.....
    Last edited by andymac66; 22nd February 2013 at 01:01.

Craftsman
    Hi Andy,

Glad it got sorted out and you're enjoying it.

All,

Really pleased with mine (bought at the same time as Andy's at WoS in Brighton).

I had previously assumed it would be too big for me, as a small chap with an 'athletic' build, but gave it a shot as it was such a good deal. As said by others, it wears small & looks good with everything from casual to suits (although is a bit much for more formal situations, but it is a diver!).

Build quality seems excellent. I'm not saying I don't covert the big brands (or hope to own some of their efforts one day), however, Oris being slightly under the radar make the watch slightly less contravertial for a junior/young public servant.

My only gripe is that the polished sections pick up lots of smears. I guess that's standard for polished pieces. That's being very picky though!

Enjoy all,
    Ryan

Sent from my iPhone

A stunning watch, congratulations

Master
    I have a older version of the diver - metal bezel and dark blue carbon effect dial .
    I have been thinking about moving it on recently but it really is a lovely thing and I think they are cheap compared with similar quality peers. Not sure what I'll replace it with to be honest ! I've got a feeling its worth around about £400 as us but what else ticks the same boxes for the money !?

Craftsman
    Really nice I like the matt finish and the bracelet looks great.

Craftsman
    I think Oris is an underated brand along with Fortis, they make very good watches that offer excellent value for money.

I had one of these as my daily wearer for about a year and sold it. Regretted it almost instantly and manger to pick another one up at Christmas time. Great watches and exceptional quality for the money

I had a blue one of these of this very forum. Lovely watch, regret flipping it now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had my eye on one of these for a while now and I managed to pick one up for a good price at Watches of Switzerland last month. I love the shape of the case and the mixture of brushed and polished finishes. It's built like a tank and I can't fault the quality of the workmanship. The 44mm size would usually be too big for my skinny wrists but the tapering of the case and the way the bracelet integrates into it make it wear a lot smaller. The wave effect on the dial is not exactly unique but it is attractive and the bullet shaped applied hour markers are distinctive and rather lovely.

It was running 17 seconds a day fast so it went back to Oris to be regulated. It came back yesterday so we'll see how it performs now. First impressions are that it's still fast but not quite as bad.

I own an Oris and after several visits to my AD it eventually settled down it was initially very inaccurate

oris is by far my favorite brand, i think they make some really interesting looking watches at some amazing price points.

i have a blue small seconds, a black/orange small seconds and a bc4 chrono. I had the smaller 44mm once upon a time and my next watch will most likely be another oris (the stealthy version of the big crown)

Journeyman
    very nice. can't go wrong with a dive watch made by oris.

Apprentice
    My first proper watch was an Oris. I always loved their divers models.
    Wear in good health. A fine purchase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    I have a older version of the diver - metal bezel and dark blue carbon effect dial .
    I have been thinking about moving it on recently but it really is a lovely thing and I think they are cheap compared with similar quality peers. Not sure what I'll replace it with to be honest ! I've got a feeling its worth around about £400 as us but what else ticks the same boxes for the money !?
    I bought this one from Tim a few weeks ago when he did move it on, and I'm well chuffed. It is so solid, whilst no being brutish. Looks positively refined next to my monster!

The brand is also nicely understated, classy looking without the instant recognition of others.

Great piece of kit!

I am also a fan. Very underrated watches in my opinion. This one has a Selita Sw200 inside - not sure if they all do now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I am also a fan. Very underrated watches in my opinion. This one has a Selita Sw200 inside - not sure if they all do now?

I think they all do- a version of the old faithful eta 2824-2 I believe. Your watch I believe is the later version; the earlier ones like mine have lume spots in place of the minute numbers inside the chapter ring. The wave pattern also denotes a newer model: mine has the blue carbon block pattern.

All lovely watches!

congrats - enjoy

at my first GTG I got to try a Oris small seconds and I was amazed at the quality (big ol' thing for a bloke with a wrist like a Barbie doll's ankle tho !!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    I own an Oris and after several visits to my AD it eventually settled down it was initially very inaccurate
    Thanks Geoff, it does seem to have settled down a bit and generally runs +2 to +3 seconds a day.
    Last edited by andymac66; 15th March 2013 at 22:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I think they all do- a version of the old faithful eta 2824-2 I believe. Your watch I believe is the later version; the earlier ones like mine have lume spots in place of the minute numbers inside the chapter ring. The wave pattern also denotes a newer model: mine has the blue carbon block pattern.

All lovely watches!
    Interesting, I thought the earlier Oris Diver Dates had ETAs. I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed to find a Sellita in mine. I assumed the watch came with a Sellita because it's a later model and Oris couldn't get ETA 2824-2s any more.

Journeyman
    Very nice, indeed. Beautifully built and solid by the looks of it. I have long been a fan - from afar - of Oris watches. Too bad that we don't have an AD here where I could actually get to see them for real.

I love the bracelet on them as well as the lug holes!

Cheers,
    Carl

Master
    Interesting, I thought the earlier Oris Diver Dates had ETAs. I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed to find a Sellita in mine. I assumed the watch came with a Sellita because it's a later model and Oris couldn't get ETA 2824-2s any more.
    I stand corrected!

You can check here. Turns out mine is a 633, which is an ETA.

http://www.oris.ch/oris/mouvements.a...&id_movement=8

Very nice, as an Oris obsessive it's always nice to see some more, here's my slightly earlier 200m

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Very nice, indeed. Beautifully built and solid by the looks of it. I have long been a fan - from afar - of Oris watches. Too bad that we don't have an AD here where I could actually get to see them for real.

Cheers,
    Carl
    How far is Langley Carl?

Oris list an AD

It's About Time
    20235 Fraser Hwy
    CA V3A 4E7 Langley
    tel.: 604-532-8831

Journeyman
    Definitely a lovely watch, I tried one on last week but it felt as though it was sitting on top of my wrist rather than being worn, so I think it was too big for my wrist. Shame as I really love the look.

Master
    A lot of watch for the money and it suits your wrist size nicely,congrats.

Master
    Always room for one more...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post

Cheers,
    Carl
    Thanks Carl, it is beautifully built. They obviously put a lot of thought into the way the case and bracelet would work together so that the lugs almost seem to disappear and become part of the bracelet. That also helps to make the watch appear smaller than it really is. I'm not usually a fan of visible lug holes but I rather like them on the DD. They give the watch and even more engineered feel.